New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Bonus spells due to high ability score

Do the bonus spells due to high ability score allow characters to apply metamagic feats and use those slots? Eg: could a wizard level 2 with an intelligence of 20 apply a metamagic feat to a first level spell to make it a second level spell, and use his bonus second level slot to cast it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bonus spells due to high ability score

...yes. Why wouldn't it work that way? (Not asking to be rude, asking because since you're doubting this there's something major you're misunderstanding, which it would be good to clear up).

Edit: Oh hadn't noticed the Wizard 2 mentioned. Tynmdyr is indeed correct.
    Last edited by Urpriest; 2010-10-07 at 03:26 PM.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Bonus spells just dictate what extra spell slots you have available per day, not what you prepare in them. Use them like normal slots. Metamagic is fine.

edit: Ah, I didn't see "wizard level 2." I am wrong. No, you may not do it.

Also, be aware you don't get extra spells known, just spells per day. I realise this is irrelevant to your question, but it's a common misunderstanding so worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-07 at 03:28 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maysarahs View Post
    Do the bonus spells due to high ability score allow characters to apply metamagic feats and use those slots? Eg: could a wizard level 2 with an intelligence of 20 apply a metamagic feat to a first level spell to make it a second level spell, and use his bonus second level slot to cast it?
    No. You do not get bonus spells of levels higher than you can cast.*

*Occasionally, there is a 0 in the spells per day of a class. At that level, you do get bonus spells for that spell level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maysarahs View Post
    No, because he doesn't have 2nd level slots at all yet. The bonus slots aren't.. I suppose 'active' would be a good word.. until your class progression gives you spells of that level. It's the difference between having - spells of a given level and having 0, as in the Paladin and Ranger spell progressions; when they have 0, they can use any bonus slots they get.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Tyndmyr is misunderstanding. If you are asking whether you can use a bonus 2nd level slot to prepare a [First level spell with +1 level metamagic adjustment] in that slot, ignore his answer.

If that's wrong, then I'm misunderstanding, and you should ignore my answer.

Ah, I didn't see "wizard level 2." I am wrong. No, you may not do it.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-07 at 03:28 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    No. You do not get bonus spells of levels higher than you can cast.*

*Occasionally, there is a 0 in the spells per day of a class. At that level, you do get bonus spells for that spell level.
    Tyndmyr is right. I think the other people misunderstood your question, or didn't realize when Wizards got 2nd level spells.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think the first two replies here misunderstood what the OP asked. Yes, you can use the bonus slots for anything that normal slots could be used for. That is not being questioned.

The question is whether you get those bonus slots right from the start at level 1 even though you don't yet have normal spell slots of that level yet. The answer is no, you only get bonus spell slots for spell levels that your non-bonus progression has reached. In some cases, such as Bard and most other half-casters, there are points where you get 0 spell slots of a particular level, and this is specifically pointed out as being different from "-" spell slots because it allows you to get your bonus spell slots for that level.

Edit: Heh, ninja-edited by both of the first two replies editing in acknowledgment of their mistake.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-10-07 at 03:32 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you all, sorry for the confusing wording. I was just arguing with one of my (experienced DM) players about whether or not it is possible, thank you for the Bard/Ranger/Paladin slots to refer to as proof of my argument (that it isn't possible). Thank you again!