New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Druid PrC that's not Planar Shepard

I'm looking for a PrC that I can enter into as a druid that would aid with casting. I am currently one of two full casters in our party of 7, the other being your standard healbot cleric. I'm quite frankly not using wildshape all that much. I like the fluff behind Beloved of Valarian and Swanmay, but the first is not a casting class and the second...swans? seriously? Published non setting specific material is allowed, online supplements are not.

P.S. yeah, I know, I know, druids are overpowered blah blah blah. I'm a caster not a wild shape monster, and I've got 5 melee'ers to keep alive.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-10-07 at 05:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Druid casting PrC

If you don't want Wildshape or those goodies, Sacred Exorcist is pretty decent. It gives Turn Undead, which can be used to DMM your drood spells (since drood spells are divine). The knowledges might be kinda hard to get though. If you don't want to DMM, there is Divine Spell Powah, and SacEx's Consecrate Aura helps with that a ton. Worst case, its 3/4 BAB and d8 HD, same as druid, so you aren't really losing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Druid PrC that's not Planar Shepard

sentinal of Bharri? full-ish caster. Become a Bear at will, summon bears, Quicken spells.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    sentinal of Bharri? full-ish caster. Become a Bear at will, summon bears, Quicken spells.
    I do *not* need bears! If anything I need to focus away from dealing damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

You lie. There is no situation that can't be resolved by the implementation of more bears.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What about making a sandwich? How do Bears help than?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Moonspeaker is the other worthwhile Druid PrC. It is Shifter-only though so I suppose that doesn't happen to hit?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The best sandwiches involve meat. Bears can either catch meat-bearing animals for you, or be converted into meat.

Back on topic, what about Contemplative if you're at a high enough level? A domain never hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

You might, if your DM allows it, take Prestige Ranger 4, and Sword of the Arcane Order. You lose out on two CL but gain access to the Sorc/Wiz list.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Does Bearington the Bearbearian involve levels of Sentinal of Bharri?

Anyhow, you shouldn't worry about PrCing...you can just take a lot of casting feats (like metamagic) and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2010-10-07 at 06:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed, solid Druid is still a great caster, and probably a better caster than most PrC options. And what's this nonsense about not needing more bears? Bears are great for more than damage, they make excellent and cheap meatshields.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

They crowd up the battlefield a bit more than 5 melees would want, methinks.

I'm sorry OP, but I don't understand what you want out of a prestige class for this. Can't you just specialize in playing a certain style without having a separate class devoted to it?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Indeed, solid Druid is still a great caster, and probably a better caster than most PrC options. And what's this nonsense about not needing more bears? Bears are great for more than damage, they make excellent and cheap meatshields.
    I think that's what the rest of my party qualifies for. I'm really working to complement our melee-heavy party.

In all seriousness, I was looking for something focused on the debuffing/control side of life. I was mostly looking for a way to trade off the wild shape abilities that I'm frankly not using (3/day will be more than enough for my needs) for something more handy for a caster in terms of class skills. Something cool like, you know, turn undead or bonus feats.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-10-07 at 07:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sacred Exorcist (CDiv), Contemplative (CDiv), Holt Warden (CCham), Paragnostic Apostle (CCham), and Earth Dreamer (RoS) all have their merits. Each is 10/10 (or 5/5 in two cases) casting, none progress wildshape, and all are easily entered for druids.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    You lie. There is no situation that can't be resolved by the implementation of more bears.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Does Bearington the Bearbearian involve levels of Sentinal of Bharri?
    I'm pretty sure it would be a net-loss in Bearishness.
    To get the Pre-Reqs would require loosing some Bearishness, so it's more a trade off than a bonus.

16. - Top - End - #16

Bearington doesn't cast spells. They're not bear enough for him.

Honestly, druids don't make phenomenal debuffers or battlefield controllers with their default spell lists. As summoners, they excel though, so if you want to help out your melee, being able to conjure flankers en masse is always a nice tactic, though you can do that with default spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally. Bears are good for that purpose too.

I'd say Sacred Exorcist is the best option. Turn Undead can be used to fuel Divine Metamagic into things like Rapid Spell (for this-turn flankers instead of next-turn flankers) or Extend Spell/Persistent Spell.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I think last time I did that my melee companions complained that my summons got in the way too much. Then again they complain period.

But yeah if there was any good way to expand a spell list that would also be appreciated.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Use the PF druid and take a domain? Or do what I do and use a lot of walls. Druids get some good ones: sand, smoke, stone, ice, fire... Contemplative could get you some domains too, for MOAR SPELLZ. As could whatever that Faiths of Eberron one is that gives you a domain every level.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-10-07 at 07:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Contemplative (Complete Divine) mentioned above gives you a domain at 1st level in it which would expand your list further.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

sand, smoke, stone, ice, fire...
    THORNS!!!! Wall of Thorns >>>>>>> all other walls. Period.

I forgot about Earth Dreamer. Thats a really good one.
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would like to second the recommendation for Holt Warden for access to the Plant Domain (and extra domain spell slot!) and Heal SLA. The requirements are non-existent for any druid.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    THORNS!!!! Wall of Thorns >>>>>>> all other walls. Period.

I forgot about Earth Dreamer. Thats a really good one.
    Stonespeaker Guardian is better than Earth Dreamer IMO (earth glide at will instead of for a couple of times a day) but is saddled with a bizarre racial requirement.

Wall of thorns is good, but I prefer stone and smoke. Smoke is actually pretty crazy for a first level spell: concealment and nausea? And you can use smoke stairs on it too for exploratory purposes.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-10-07 at 07:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

If his melee complains when he summons flankers that can be moved out of their way, I can't imagine they'll be happy with walls that not only can't be moved, but are potentially hazardous to them as well.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

If his melee complains when he summons flankers that can be moved out of their way, I can't imagine they'll be happy with walls that not only can't be moved, but are potentially hazardous to them as well.
    I have a suspicion that their actual complaint is that the minions are killing as well as they are.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I have a suspicion that their actual complaint is that the minions are killing as well as they are.
    True, they likely find the situations un-bearable.

26. - Top - End - #26

This is a potential problem. Bears are, after all, the penultimate killing machines. We need something weaker than bears...balors, maybe? Or monkeys. Everything's better with monkeys, you can get a lot of them with an Empowered Summon Nature's Ally, and they suck at actually hurting anything or really doing anything that doesn't involve being a flanking dummy. Bonus points if you use Signature Spell to make them come out of a barrel.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, druids don't make phenomenal debuffers or battlefield controllers with their default spell lists.
    Gonna disagree with this one. A Druid has almost as many ways to simply clog up the field as a Wizzie does. Yeah, the lack of things like Solid Fog hurts, but if you look hard enough (hint: Frostburn is fantastic, but even just the PHB and SpC are wonderful), there's no shortage of spells that can seriously get in your enemies' faces and keep them where you want them. (Wall of Thorns, anyone?)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I would like to second the recommendation for Holt Warden for access to the Plant Domain (and extra domain spell slot!) and Heal SLA. The requirements are non-existent for any druid.
    Third on the Holt Warden
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go in for Contemplative; thank goodness for PF skill point systems. Druid 10/Contemplative 10 sounds like a good fit for the character.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

walker of the wastes... (sandstorm)

*ducks*