New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Advice

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Advice

I'm looking to build a Weapon Master (from S+F 3.0) starting at 10th lvl. My DM is allowing a mix of 3.0 and 3.5 so my thinking is warblade 6/weapon master 4. I am fairly new to the BoNS so was wondering if people could give me advice on manoeuvrers, stances etc. The weapon I am looking at is an oversized glaive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Advice

I suggest you read Tome of Battle for Dummies. There are some sample warblade builds with suggested maneuvers/stances.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Unless your group plays rather high-powered games, you can do just fine by picking the maneuvers you think are cool.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

It's really hard to screw up a ToB build, really, though if you're using a Warblade, it's best to make sure you have Iron Heart maneuvers.

Using a two-handed weapon, Power Attack will work really well, and my favorite simple combo with PA in a Warblade build is Emerald Razor---a powerful strike with a very high chance of hitting.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm playing a charger-type warblade in a current game; the maneuver and stance progression I used for levels 1-6 was this.

Maneuvers:
    Level 1:
    Steel Wind - Great for dispatching mooks.
    Moment of Perfect Mind - Replaces your weakest save with a skill check - using a skill that you'll want to max out anyway. Need I say more?
    Sudden Leap - Great for maneuverability. Helps you run away, get to the enemy quicker, full attack and move, leap over chasms, etc.

Level 2:
    Leading the Attack - Not spectacular, but lets you qualify for White Raven Tactics later on. Still handy, though.

Level 3:
    Emerald Razor - Touch AC is a breeze to hit.

Level 4:
    Trade Steel Wind for Wall of Blades - Especially useful with Shock Trooper, Wall of Blades lets you use an attack roll as your AC for a round.

Level 5:
    White Raven Tactics - Awesome, plain and simple. If you use Customer Service's totally ridiculous ruling, you can even use it on yourself.

Level 6:
    Trade Leading the Attack for Iron Heart Surge - The sunlight need never bother you again.
    Plus, c'mon, admit it: you can't really get more badass than IRON HEART SURRRGE!

Stances:
    Level 1:
    Blood in the Water - You can take Punishing Stance if you'd prefer, but I chose this because it can stack up some pretty mean bonuses, while Punishing Stance's are outdated fairly quickly.

Level 4:
    Leading the Charge - Helps you qualify for WRT, and really, it's quite nice if you have other melee teammates.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sorry been away from the computer for a few days! Thanks guys this is really helpful :)