New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Erudite: Why is it a tier 1 class?

I know that there's the STP Erudite variant which is actually pretty freaking awesome, but I doubt that's it. So playground, care to give me an explanation?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Erudite: Why is it a tier 1 class?

I imagine it's because they can spontaneously manifest off nearly their entire list (since they can learn additional powers like wizards learn spells). Unique Powers per Day is barely a limitation past midlevels, as written.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At lower levels it's so-so at higher levels, even without the STP variant however... Imagine a wizard being able to cast spontaneously from his entire spellbook, no preperation, he has a vast library of spells, and he can decide at any moment which is best to use. His Manifesting per day are limited by a set number of unique powers, which he can then repeat, but he is essentially a Sorcerer with an infinite number of spells known.

Edit: Partially Swordsage'd
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2010-10-08 at 10:04 AM.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    At lower levels it's so-so at higher levels, even without the STP variant however... Imagine a wizard being able to cast spontaneously from his entire spellbook, no preperation, he has a vast library of spells, and he can decide at any moment which is best to use. His Manifesting per day are limited by a set number of unique powers, which he can then repeat, but he is essentially a Sorcerer with an infinite number of spells known.

Edit: Partially Swordsage'd
    Hence, Rainbow Servant = Broken.

Edit: To explain, Rainbow Servant lets you cast off of Cleric spell list. Stuff like Warmages and Beguilers know their whole list. Rainbow Servant added to those class adds the whole Cleric spell list to their 'cast spontaneously from' list. Broken. Erudite gets that as-is. Even more broken.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2010-10-08 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Hence, Rainbow Servant = Broken.

Edit: To explain, Rainbow Servant lets you cast off of Cleric spell list. Stuff like Warmages and Beguilers know their whole list. Rainbow Servant added to those class adds the whole Cleric spell list to their 'cast spontaneously from' list. Broken. Erudite gets that as-is. Even more broken.
    I wouldn't say that makes the Rainbow Servant broken. Even Beguiler has a fairly iffy spell list compared to a straight Wizard so aside from a few gems there isn't a lot to brag about starting off, and getting a Cleric universally spontaneous casting isn't a difficult feet. On top of that if you play by the table (which I'm going to break character optimization etiquette and assume most DMs will do instead of following the text under the spell casting entry) then the Rainbow Servant will still lack 9th level spells. Meanwhile, Wizard's and Clerics will be taking dips into their slew of classes that let them abuse metamagic easier.

The Erudite is similar but more broken in that it gets full range spellcasting 0-9, it can gain access to all psychic powers (not just those specifically from the Psion list), and while doing these things it still has complete freedom to prc out for further options. The Spell to Power variant is just icing at that point once you reach mid levels or if played smartly even some of the later early levels.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-10-08 at 10:55 AM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    I wouldn't say that makes the Rainbow Servant broken. Even Beguiler has a fairly iffy spell list compared to a straight Wizard, and getting a Cleric universally spontaneous casting isn't a difficult feet.

On top of that if you play by the table (which I'm going to break character optimization etiquette and assume most DMs will do instead of following the text under the spell casting entry) then the Rainbow Servant will still lack 9th level spells. Meanwhile, Wizard's and Clerics will be taking dips into their slew of classes that let them abuse metamagic easier.
    It has nothing to do with optimization. The rules says Text beats table (Wotc ruled that).

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    It has nothing to do with optimization. The rules says Text beats table (Wotc ruled that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    I wouldn't say that makes the Rainbow Servant broken. Even Beguiler has a fairly iffy spell list compared to a straight Wizard so aside from a few gems there isn't a lot to brag about starting off, and getting a Cleric universally spontaneous casting isn't a difficult feet. On top of that if you play by the table (which I'm going to break RAW and blatantly impose an imo statement by assuming the majority of dms will do) then the Rainbow Servant will still lack 9th level spells. Meanwhile, Wizard's and Clerics will be taking dips into their slew of classes that let them abuse metamagic easier.
    If it matters that much to you there it is. However, given that the Rainbow Savant is neither listed as a full casting prc in the book nor does the table support the argument that it is I will not be retracting my generalization. The playground may ignore or embrace this part of my argument as it wishes. However, lets not hijack the thread with Rainbow Servant debate.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I know that there's the STP Erudite variant which is actually pretty freaking awesome, but I doubt that's it. So playground, care to give me an explanation?
    Basically, you know how wizards can learn spells from scrolls, or from other wizards? So that, in theory, if two wizards meet along the road, they can both walk away with twice as many spells?

The Erudite works like that, except that instead of lugging around a spellbook he just mind-melds with friendly psychics and then remembers all their powers.

Plus, Erudite casting has a limited number of unique powers. That is, say an Erudite has a limit of 4 powers. Something pops up and he wants to murder it. He uses Energy Bolt. He pays power-points for it just like normal, and now Energy Bolt is one of the powers he's used for the day. He can use Energy Bolt whenever he wants (assuming he has points for it) and can use three other powers, too.

Basically, the flexibility of a sorcerer combined with the massive list of a wizard.

That means that if an Erudite has gone and hugged a lot of psychics, he can have a mental list of 90000000000 powers to choose from at any given time.

Spell To Power means that he gets to do this with wizard spells too.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

o.o ...my god that's powerful... ..I might just need to read the handbook to make more sense of it.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The loads of experience you have to drop and record all the time just to do your main class schtick (learning extra powers) is kind of off-putting, though. Otherwise it's a really cool idea that actually works out quite well in practice.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-10-08 at 01:21 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yeah its not as powerful in game as you might think. Try actually playing it with a reasonable DM before you come to any conclusions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Erudites do very well in parties with Wilders and other Psions. Erudites aren't the only ones who can do the "mind meld" thing - they're just the only ones who can spend xp to learn powers permanently.

Need to use a utility power but don't want to waste a unique power per day? Get your Psion or Wilder buddy to do it instead.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Plus, Erudite casting has a limited number of unique powers. That is, say an Erudite has a limit of 4 powers. Something pops up and he wants to murder it. He uses Energy Bolt. He pays power-points for it just like normal, and now Energy Bolt is one of the powers he's used for the day. He can use Energy Bolt whenever he wants (assuming he has points for it) and can use three other powers, too.
    Actually, it's powers of EACH LEVEL. In order to be able to use 4 different powers of a given level per day, you would need to be level 8. Which means you have access to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level powers (and cantrips if you're STP). You can manifest 4 powers from each of those - so 16! (20!) unique powers. Per day. By level 8.

This is actually supposed to be on par with Psion as it gives you a roughly equivalent number of 'powers known' each day.

Spell To Power means that he gets to do this with wizard spells too.
    Also cleric. And ranger, paladin, duskblade, assassin, wu-jen, and whoever else you can get your hands on. Note that 'unconscious' counts as 'willing' for the purposes of learning spells from someone's mind. Warmages and beguilers are especially tasty, since you can only learn spells that are currently 'memorized', but they know their entire list (including spells they don't have access to yet, according to the fluff) all the time.
    Last edited by kestrel404; 2010-10-08 at 02:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Just as an aside, I always found it nice that the Erudite is a variant of the Psion instead of it's own separate entity. From a rules perspective when qualifying for certain things or looking into potential exploits it opens up more options.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    Actually, it's powers of EACH LEVEL.
    I was just making an example...
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

On this note, where is the STP Erudite? I'm not seeing it in Complete Psionic... is it on the SRD? I'm too lazy to look.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    On this note, where is the STP Erudite? I'm not seeing it in Complete Psionic... is it on the SRD? I'm too lazy to look.
    It's in the Mind's Eye articles.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Antigamer View Post
    Ah, thanks. Too bad they've started purging the 3.5 archive, or so I've heard.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107034 Would a Swordsage Erudite work with this PrC, and even if it does, would it be worth it?

I'm making an Illithid Swordsage with the Talenta Sarrash scythe from the Ebberon Campaign Setting. Yes I know about the monstrous LA and the errata'd scythe, my GM and I are working on it all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

NOW I realize why the vancian magic system seems so artificial to me, this thread made me realize it.

There is no actual skill in it, the spells are treated too much like a program or a tool you pick up and use rather than a technique or art you have to master.

which means the magic system just needs a way of putting effort into getting all those spells to make it balanced.....sure you could eventually get all the spells in the world but it would take more time than you would ever have cause you would need to master them first.......
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Just look at your ML, then down at the wizard chart, then back to your ML. Your ML is now diamonds. What ever level spells a wizard could cast, you can learn. Sadly, you are not a wizard, but you can manifest powers like the wizard you smell like.

I'm on a phantom steed.

Yeah, that only applies to the StP version, but any full caster is bound to be high tiered.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.