New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help with Shaman (3.5)

What are the major perks to playing one?
    A Shaman is very limited compared to the vast options of a Cleric, so what's the major upside and the unique benefits?

Is there a guide?
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-10-11 at 12:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Help with Shaman

Are you talking about 3.5 Dnd? If so, are you referring to the Spirit Shaman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

4.0 or 3.5? Your statement seems to be true for either. If 3.5, OA Shaman or Spirit Shaman?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

4. - Top - End - #4

Yes, 3.5 =]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help with Shaman (3.5)

And Oriental Adventures Shaman, or Complete Divine Spirit Shaman?

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Oh, Oriental please! =]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

1) Make sure you're comfortable with converting from 3.0 to 3.5. Healthy discussion with your DM is essential.
    2) Make sure your DM agrees that animal friendship on your spell list is the same as having an animal companion like a 3.5 druid. The class feature text is identical between a 3.0 druid and an OA shaman, so they should have an identical class feature in a 3.5 conversion.
    3) Spell Compendium. Discuss with your DM which spells off the cleric and druid lists from SC are appropriate for a shaman. OA shamans get a lot of animal and plant spells, as opposed to elemental spells, so concentrate on those from the druid list.
    4) Shaman is fantastic as a 5-level dip, as that is when you get your last major class feature, divine grace as a paladin (just called something different). Only downside to PrCing out is losing a 3rd domain at 11th level and progressing your animal companion.
    5) Hero Domain is the bomb.
    6) Remember you can use DMM just like a cleric. I'm not saying you should, just that you can.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Renchard View Post
    1) Make sure you're comfortable with converting from 3.0 to 3.5. Healthy discussion with your DM is essential.
    2) Make sure your DM agrees that animal friendship on your spell list is the same as having an animal companion like a 3.5 druid. The class feature text is identical between a 3.0 druid and an OA shaman, so they should have an identical class feature in a 3.5 conversion.
    3) Spell Compendium. Discuss with your DM which spells off the cleric and druid lists from SC are appropriate for a shaman. OA shamans get a lot of animal and plant spells, as opposed to elemental spells, so concentrate on those from the druid list.
    4) Shaman is fantastic as a 5-level dip, as that is when you get your last major class feature, divine grace as a paladin (just called something different). Only downside to PrCing out is losing a 3rd domain at 11th level and progressing your animal companion.
    5) Hero Domain is the bomb.
    6) Remember you can use DMM just like a cleric. I'm not saying you should, just that you can.

That pretty much covers it. Plus, they get Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Sure, not the best thing ever, but it could help you in a bar fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    That pretty much covers it. Plus, they get Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Sure, not the best thing ever, but it could help you in a bar fight.
    The 3.5 version is a little better actually: they gain a weak unarmed strike progression, like the Superior Unarmed Strike Feat. (Dragon 318 covers this, as well as the upgraded Eunuch Warlock).

Shamans are potentially Tier 1, given that they get many of the good Cleric and Druid spells, plus an animal companion. While they don't get the Spell Compendium by default, even the spells they have make them pretty good at what they do.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show