Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 552

Thread: Illuminance

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Illuminance

    You stand at the edge of a small town. The buildings are unusual in style, the ground floors built in stone with upper levels built in wood. (Knowledge: Architecture&Engineering or History checks if you have them). There is one building larger than the others and set away from the town over to your left. A few people are moving about the streets but, unusually for a small community like this, your arrival does not seem to have generated much interest.

    A sign outside one of the buildings reads "Jakob Raven's General Sore! New fresh fish in this morning!" A hunched old man in an long overcoat leans on his cane opposite the store and smokes a pipe.

    What do you do?
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2010-10-11 at 05:17 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    As I promised, here we are.

    Xenith sends his mental energy out into the town, skimming surface thoughts.

    OOC

    Spoiler
    Show
    This is something that's bothered me about psionics, it technically shouldn't take much power to skim surface thoughts if you can bend reality to your will. However I am using it primarily for fluff.


    Devmaars backstory post (Because I know it helps me to remember what's going on so I figure it may help you all).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone's here (sorry theblackorc, maybe next time).

    How's this for an 'Origins' story:

    For reasons to be disclosed via pm, Ket'Thull was making his way West when he caught a young human attempting to steal from him. Realising the girl was not really a criminal he suggested that they travel together. Recognising the half-orc's strength, she readily agreed.

    Meanwhile, Corian was travelling South (but he started in the North so everyone ends up in the same place) when he came across a lone archer skirmishing with a band of goblins. Seeing that things were going badly for the elf Corian came to his aid, together they were quickly able to drive off the goblins. They agreed to continue the Southward journey together for better protection.

    Deciding he needed further aid in his quest Ket'Thull booked Lyra and himself into a tavern while he searched for a third member for their group. The best candidate to present themselves was Daxter Grey, who promised magical power in return for some excitement.

    Corian and Ket'Thull's respective missions led them to the Singing Hunter Inn in Marzton. They had both been instructed to arrive at a certain time and speak to a certain man. That man said to them:
    "You must go now together to Thosden. There speak to the man Henry. He will fill you in," he stood with an elaborate hand gesture, "The Illuminance bids you luck, friends." And left.

    "Dammit!" Spoke Corian, "That was no information at all! Where is this 'Thosden'?" Before Ket'Thun could respond another voice piped up:
    "I could take you to Thosden," spoke the Elan sitting at the next table. "After all, there's nothing left for me here."

    And true his word Xenith led you all to the town of Thosden.

    "I've no idea where to find Henry though."
    Last edited by zenanarchist; 2010-10-11 at 05:23 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Illuminance

    As Ket'Thull was looking around the town, he palmed softly the elan's back.

    "Good job, Xenith," the half-orc said with his powerful, low-pitched voice, and then he walked calmly to the hunched old man.

    "Excuse me, good man," Ket'Thull says quietly with a smile. "I'm a newcomer to the town, and I'd like to ask you if you know where could I find a man who calls himself 'Henry'?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    I don't have ranks in either knowledge skills. However, I could know only common knowledge in both.

    Architecture: (1d20+1)[9]
    History: (1d20+1)[9]

    Fail!
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2010-10-11 at 05:47 PM.
    ===================

    My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!



    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Xenith:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure about that. You've really got nothing in your sheet tht has to do with others' minds. I suppose I'll go with: 'You don't sense any specific threat.'


    Old man to Ket'thull:
    Henry? You mean that upstart who thinks he can run this town 'cos he's got a few soldiers and he throws a few parties? Pah! Of course I know 'im. Probably 'e'll be at 'is 'ouse, 'stead a runnin' the town like 'e should. The man takes a deep drag on his pipe and spits on the ground before starting to mumble incoherently and flick his eyes around as if he expects something to sneak up on him.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Dev

    Spoiler
    Show
    oh no no! What I meant was that at regular intervals Xenith "send his mind out" to others. However this has no mechanical benefit whatsoever, it's just him being a psionic doing what I think psionics do, so just ignore me when I do it


    Xenith eyes the man.

    You do not seem too fond of the fellow.... He is... not well liked? By others of course, not yourself. You obviously share no dislike with such a man.

    Xenith looks around to see if he can see what the man is worried of.
    Last edited by zenanarchist; 2010-10-11 at 05:56 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Zen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, okay


    Old Man:
    Like 'im? Everyone [*******] likes 'im! Most popular man in this town fer decades 'e 'is! They don't gets it see, they don't see what I do. An' they won't listen. Ohhh No. No-one listens to Mitch. Not any more. More mumbling and then he coughs violently before taking another drag on the pipe.
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2010-10-11 at 06:05 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Well, we are willing to listen, friend. We will hear what you have to say. What do you see?

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Illuminance

    "Incidentally," Ket'Thull says calmly, "we need to find Henry as soon as possible. It's a matter of life and death, good man. Please, can you tell us where is Henry's home?"

    Ket'Thull looks around, hoping find any clue about Henry's place.

    ...Maybe that large building over there...
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2010-10-11 at 08:16 PM.
    ===================

    My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!



    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Daxter stands along with his group, surveying the buildings of the town as they ask for directions.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (History) Check: (1d20+14)[32]
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm allowed to, I'd like to make a diplomacy check to increase his opinion of us. Roll: (1d20+13)[24]


    Merv steps forward, glancing at Kel'thul. "Don't be so hasty my friend. Those who can't take time to listen to the wisdom of their elders are rarely lucky enough to become one." He nods to the old man on the step, bowing his back ever so slightly in a gesture of respect, then addresses him. "If I may be so bold, sir, what about him strikes you ill?"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bunbury, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Lyra seemed to be paying more attention to the few people out and about to what her group was doing. Blue eyes flicked over the sign above the general store and she snorted,

    Bloody illiterate village. It's spelled store"

    As Merv started talking, she focused her attention on the old man, eyes narrowed in thought.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: to get a feel for how honest and open he's being
    (1d20+8)[17]


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know the sore/store thing was just a typo, but I couldn't resist, sorry

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, now you've made it canon. Jakob Raven apparently can't spell 'store'.


    Daxter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The buildings are probably a few hundred years old. The wood-atop-stone building technique was developed to protect the houses from flooding without the cost of an all-stone house. However, judging by the surrounding terrain it seems unlikely that flooding is a problem here.


    Lyra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sense no deception in the man


    Turning away from Xenith and Ket'Thull Mitch speaks to Merv:
    Yes that's right. Wisdom! That's the problem now, people discard it as ramblings, wisdom is what it is. He turns back to the others Ha! Yes! He understands. Mitch has wisdom. You should be listening! Looking back to Merv, Strikes me ill? I'll say what strikes me ill. Nothing I've heard of this man 'Henry' Not a word! But now? Now he thinks he's the mayor! I want to know what happened to the last mayor! No-one else is asking, they thinks Mitch is crazy, they doesn't see

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Illuminance

    After Merv,the elven ranger, speaks wisely, Ket'Thull smiles and nods him.

    The archer was right, and made Ket'Thull know how imprudent he was. In fact, he made him remember an ancient proverbial note he was taught back in the school of the church: "The humblest and the eldest are carriers of wisdom..." It was something like that.

    So he smiles remembering it, and he would try not to be so reckless again.

    "Even if this man knows a lot more than us," he thinks, "not even he knows enough details about Henry's ascension... We don't even know this Henry and we're already talking about him..."

    He decided to keep his fanged mouth closed; Merv was doing fine. If the old man has nothing else to say, well, there are a lot of people to ask...
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2010-10-12 at 10:02 AM.
    ===================

    My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!



    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Merv nods thoughtfully. "So when Henry arrived, the previous mayor vanished? That is ominous indeed." He pauses for a second for effect, then continues. "Sir, you wouldn't happen to know where Henry is, would you? We should look into this."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Pah! Looking is not enough! Anyone can look! Here the man sucks on his pipe and spits at the ground again Seeing! That's what's important! No-one sees Henry for what 'e is. No-one but Mitch. That's the difference between me an' them. I sees! They's all blind as a newborn pup. But not Mitch. Ohh no, I sees the truth. He breaks off into more incoherent mumbling.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Daxter steps forward and speaks with the man, patience for his senility growing thin. "Sir, you have convinced us. We will go investigate this man and find out what dastardly do he is planning. Now. Does he live in that building over there?" The wizard lifted his finger and pointed off to the large building set away from the others that had been to their left when they entered the town.
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devmaar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Hah! That's the town hall, where 'e should be! Barely in there at all. Hah. No, 'e'll be at 'is 'ouse, shirkin' 'is responsibility like 'e always does. He takes another drag on the pipe and coughs violently for a few seconds before spitting on the ground again.
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2010-10-12 at 02:36 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Merv sighs, then presses again. "I'm sorry sir, we're from out of town. His house would be... where?"

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC All

    Spoiler
    Show
    I wish I'd of taken a power for tearing this information from his mind, we could have been gone by now. lol.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Also OOC

    Spoiler
    Show
    We could ask any of the other people in town who apparently love the guy and aren't crazy?
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Also also OOC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Randoms show up and start asking about their loved and revered leader? My answer, would be "uhh...uh who? Oh right him...Yeah look he's out of town for the next year on uh...town business. lol.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Spoiler
    Show
    Depends on how we stake ourselves. If everyone loves him, unless they feel they have to protect him they won't care, and even if they do they'd tell us if we made a bluff check.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair call....especially if we approached one on one.... Who's our best talker?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Continuing what Merv said, Ket'Thull adds:

    "Moreso, my wise friend, you may notice that we all come from different zones of the map," he says with a smile. "We don't know the different, interesting places the town has -or had in its glorious times-, and perhaps a good man like yourself could guide us to Henry's location while telling us an interesting story about what this town was before Henry took over..."

    Spoiler
    Show

    If allowed, I'd like to add a circumstance bonus to Merv's diplomacy check, helping him; or even make a new check:
    (1d20+15)[21]
    Last edited by Belthasar; 2010-10-12 at 09:27 PM.
    ===================

    My posting will be considerably slower from now on and during some months. Sorry about the inconveniences!



    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-12
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-17

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bunbury, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ignore me, Ket'Thull got in first, and I like his idea better than mine. My talkie is not so good, my bluffie is not bad though. Failing that I have a trick that might work, but also might not.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2010-10-12 at 09:38 PM. Reason: double-posted

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    Spoiler
    Show
    If all else fails. I have "Detect Thoughts", if that's helpful. "Alright, fine. Don't tell us where he is, but at least think about it really hard!" -temple rub- ...And yes, rubbing your temples is totally the somatic component of Detect Thoughts. =P
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bunbury, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, we were told to report to this guy on arrival. Why can't we just march up to the town hall and saying "Hey we were told to report to Henry. Where is he?" Might not be as much fun as detect thoughts but might also work faster

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually a really good idea, haha. We'll see what Devmaar has the old coot say and if he still wants to be pants-on-his-head crazy and unhelpful, I say we off to the town hall.
    Last edited by DoctorHobo; 2010-10-12 at 11:05 PM.
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


  29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned
     
    zenanarchist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    is a matter of perception
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    True. But now we started the convo we can't just waltz off... It'd be out of character for some of those with good alignments in the group....

    If the guy doesn't give us a straight answer when devmaar gets off then we can just waltz off after getting frustrated.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoctorHobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Illuminance

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of character? We've got an important mission. Thinking of the greater good, we've got to pay more heed to the mission at hand than the feelings of an elderly man who's clearly been touched in the head and may very well continue the conversation without us anyway.
    "Miguel, if I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daxter Grey - Illuminance
    Ballard Clarke - Exploring Eberron


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •