New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default level 1 monster PCs

Are there any 'good' monsters in 3.5 or 4th edition of D&D that can be player classes at level 1 or 2, right off the bat without customization?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: level 1 monster PCs

Lesser Aasimar and Lesser Tiefling from Races of Faerun. They're just like their regular core counterparts, except they're Humanoids instead of Native Outsiders. They have LA +0.

I'd also say Hobgoblin, but that needs some customization (it has an underserved LA +1).

You could also go Orc if you want to be a barbarian. +4 Strength is tasty at Lv 1.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

in 4e, generally monsters are a bit worse than their counterparts(No feat support), but some of them make up for it with strong racials(Read: Kobolds and Bugbears). However, they have the advantage over 3.5 in the fact that you can play right off the bat, with no racial levels or anything(They play exactly the same as a normal character, afterall). They reside in the backs of MM1 and MM2(Most of the MM1 ones weren't really "monsters" but races they haven't officially detailed at the time.)

Only two monster races have feat support, Gnoll(Dragon magazine) and Minotaur (Players Handbook 3).

Unfortunately, I doubt any of the other monster races will get much love anytime soon.
    Last edited by Touchy; 2010-10-11 at 06:57 PM.
    Hey people, I can see you signed your name. You don't need to do this. I can see it on the side, right above your avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thri-Kreen in 4e DS campaign setting is good at level 1 as you basically get free quick draw without the initiative bonus
    Last edited by mobdrazhar; 2010-10-11 at 06:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

These are pretty cool. Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

For 3.5 there's always Homebrew

There's over 160 monsters done by now.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-12 at 03:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There is also this list of LA 0 races for 3.5 Credit goes to Skeppio for posting this in a pbp (and I shamelessly stole his link).

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman