New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default No eyes and missing one arm, alter self to the rescue?

Say I have had my hand severed, and my eyes removes, will I be able to alter self into an elf with a functional hand and working eyes?

Actual issue atm.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: No eyes and missing one arm, alter self to the rescue?

Quote Originally Posted by Otodetu View Post
    Say I have had my hand severed, and my eyes removes, will I be able to alter self into an elf with a functional hand and working eyes?

Actual issue atm.
    that should at least work once for being creative... rule of cool and all.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

If I was a DM, I would probably say that you morph into a one-handed elf with empty eye-sockets. Otherwise, it's just too imbalanced to let a 2nd-level spell do something similar to Regenerate, even if it's only for 10 minutes per level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Actual issue atm.
    Or grab the half-golem template...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As a dm I would allow it but the extra arm would hang useless at your side similarly you get the extra eye but you canīt see with it.

/edit Oh you wanted a working arm and eye, no I wouldnīt allow it.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-10-12 at 12:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you alter self into something with wings your new wings don't hang useless. You'll just have to deal with having two eyes and two arms for only a limited time each day.
    Last edited by Jack Zander; 2010-10-12 at 12:59 PM.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

7. - Top - End - #7

Growing a pair of eyes and an arm seems pretty resonable given what other things can be grown via alter Self. It even specifies in the spell entry what happens if you change into a creature with multiple limbs. Having said that, growing extra limbs with the spell does not grant improvments to TWF or natural attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the DM puts a limit on the functionality of your new limb (though the eyes may be just fine).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Or grab the half-golem template...
    I AM IRON MAN!
    Spoiler
    Show

Or Iron Female Half-Orc, as the case may be...

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

When you cast alter self and assume a new form, you aren't you any more -- you're someone else. You can change gross physical qualities, significant physical qualities, and minor physical qualities. You need not keep crippling injuries that aren't represented by damage to your hit points or ability scores, unless your DM invents that requirement.

Some would suggest that this is a lot of power for a level 2 spell. They're right. Alter self is commonly understood to be inappropriately powerful for its level.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-12 at 01:50 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

As a DM I would allow it since it makes sense.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actual issue atm.
    Hands, yes: You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include ... any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth).

Eyes, no: You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

It seems clear that you don't gain the sensory capabilities of your new form.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I'd allow it. it seems a reasonable effect consider what the spell does, and it's more interesting storywise than just getting it fixed via regeneration.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haarkla View Post
    Eyes, no: You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.
    Normal eyes aren't an extraordinary quality, which is what was specifically prohibited. The Scent and Low-Light Vision abilities are. Otherwise, anyone who used Alter Self would be blind: you lose your extraordinary special qualities not derived from your class levels when you use Alter Self.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, this is for an npc of mine that the players removed the eyes of and left eyeless and dead, but his sidekick sold the fort and arranged for a raise dead and some new gear.

There are no more than 5th level magic available in the area, but the npc can cast alter self, so I guess that will get him back in the game with vision again.

Alter self has also been slightly powered down (no flight or natural armour, but 1 hour\level duration, but it is still the same spell.)
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

15. - Top - End - #15

Thanks, this is for an npc of mine that the players removed the eyes of and left eyeless and dead, but his sidekick sold the fort and arranged for a raise dead and some new gear.

There are no more than 5th level magic available in the area, but the npc can cast alter self, so I guess that will get him back in the game with vision again.

Alter self has also been slightly powered down (no flight or natural armour, but 1 hour\level duration, but it is still the same spell.)
    Yes. This is awesome. The evil mastermind was left for dead and had most of his resources lost due to the costs inflicted by the PCs but he's back and wanting nothing more than to enact revenge. Bonus points if he walks around crippled and leaves the party underestimating him, and then... FORM 2!
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

16. - Top - End - #16

Just the tip of the iceberg.

Alter Self gets just plain ridiculous. It's one of the nastiest spells out there, just like the rest of the Polymorph line.
    Last edited by Godless_Paladin; 2010-10-12 at 03:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why Alter Self shouldn't allow you to do that. The spell description lists off growing stranger things than an arm, and really Regeneration is still better anyway because all it would take is an AMF to cripple the character again, or even just a Dispel Magic.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Another interesting thought would be to keep him blind, get him a level of mindbender and gain mindsight, then a hand of the mage for continous mage hand to proxy for your lost appendage.

Would make an very interesting BBEG.

Or if you want to do it with just magic items. "Third eye -sense" coud fix it for you.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

Are you getting this via magic item, or spell (I would probably give you a miss chance on the spell, just like there is a miss chance for casting verbal component spells while deaf)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

What's the character's race? Performing the Ritual of Rebirth to become a dragonborn might be viable.