New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Polite Player's Guide

We've all seen the various DM guides. Now here's my guidebook for being a polite player.

1. Make a character that has possible plots. If the DM's given you plot information, make a character that would do that plot.

2. If joining an existing group, find out their optimization level and stick close to it. If starting a new group, try to stick to the same power level as each other.

3. Roleplay. Make a character, not just a set of numbers on the page. Characters have motivations and interests. They interact with the world.

4. On the flip side, if you're a really fantastic roleplayer, back off some times. Toss the ball to less active players. You might be surprised once they get going.

5. Put the cell phone away. Seriously.

6. Offer to help pay for the food.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Polite Player's Guide

7. If you are just joining a new group bring drinks/snacks the first few times you show up.

8. Always check with the dm on what is and what isn't allowed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

9) be willing to play a role. heck, sometimes it can lead to the most interesting characters. a warlock or a spellthief can be just as useful as a rogue, but with new options.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

10) If your going to miss a session, let the DM know as soon as you do. Alot of planning goes into a game session, an equal portion of that is for your character.

11) Conflict can be interesting, but in the end find a way to work together. Your dwarf may hate all drow, but if the new guy is playing a drow wizard, find a way to have your character accept him.

12) Trust your DM. If he is rolling in secret or passing notes, trust that it is all for the sake of the fun of the game. The DM screen is there to keep a certian mystery in the game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

13) Remember that in game, the DM is not supposed to be your friend, and is not going to be your friend. Their whole job is to challenge you and your characters. If something doesn't go your way, or the DM prevents your character from their usual trick, don't get angry at them, and don't whine or sulk about it. Think outside the square, use a spell or ability you don't use very often.

14) Don't call the DM names. Actually, don't call anyone in the game names. It's just not nice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

15) Do some homework. Seriously. Brush up on the rules of whatever system you're using. Learn the basic mechanics. The more you know, the less time you have to spend asking questions, looking up rules, and making mistakes that need to be corrected. It also prevents accidental 'cheating.'

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CockroachTeaParty View Post
    15) Do some homework. Seriously. Brush up on the rules of whatever system you're using. Learn the basic mechanics. The more you know, the less time you have to spend asking questions, looking up rules, and making mistakes that need to be corrected. It also prevents accidental 'cheating.'
    I did that once Somehow my numbers got all messed up and I had saves that were a couple of points higher than they should have been. Oops.

16) Following on from that, the DM is allowed to check your character sheets from time to time to make sure you've got everything listed correctly and your numbers match up. Don't get mad or upset if the DM wants to see everyone's sheets.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

17) Don't get too upset if the DM won't let you play a game that's already running , sometimes there are better times to come in as a new player. On the same note, don't be pissed off if the DM asks you to play a particular character or even just hands you a character sheet. If you want a choice, don't play.

18) If you drive, make sure you can give people lifts home. Asking for petrol money is okay too.

19) Don't run off five minutes after the session finishes and leave the rest of the group (and sometimes just the DM) to clean up.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

20) The DM should know what your plans are so he can plan accordingly. Don't surprise him with plots, strange power combinations, secret backstory, etc. Basically, don't surprise the DM at all.
    Last edited by Fuzzie Fuzz; 2010-10-12 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Swordsaged!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

21. The point of the game is to have fun.
    22. That being said, don't let your pursuit/enjoyment of fun ruin it for the other players.
    Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    17) Don't get too upset if the DM won't let you play a game that's already running , sometimes there are better times to come in as a new player. On the same note, don't be pissed off if the DM asks you to play a particular character or even just hands you a character sheet. If you want a choice, don't play.
    I have to strongly disagree with you there. "The party needs a melee tank, roll one up" is good. "Roll up a Human Barbarian" is pushing it slightly, but fine if there's a strong reason for it. "You're playing Bob the Human Barbarian. Here's the character sheet" is completely unacceptable. DnD is first and foremost about the DM and players telling a story together. If my first experience with a DM/party is the DM handing me a character sheet I have to play, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to even bother glancing at the sheet, unless there's extreme extenuating circumstances.
    Last edited by SensFan; 2010-10-13 at 01:04 PM.
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12

23. Make sure to thank the DM for running the game, and be open with them if you enjoyed it. Since they facilitate the fun after all.

24. The same should be said of the host of the event.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I can see it if you're coming in in the middle of an adventure and they give you a handy NPC until a time where a new character could actually be worked in to avoid railroading in a random person that appears out of nowhere in the middle of the Secret Lost Volcano of Doom; and I could accept it as "either wait till the adventure is over and we can work a new character in or play Bob the Barbarian till then".
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

25. If you have any issues with the game, politely talk with them with the DM after the game is over. Clamming up and pretending everything is fine will not make the problems go away.

26. If you have/decide to leave the group, temporarily or permanently, let the other people know. Disappearing without warning is never good.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-10-13 at 01:12 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfgang View Post
    10) If your going to miss a session, let the DM know as soon as you do. Alot of planning goes into a game session, an equal portion of that is for your character.
    27: 10 applies even more so if you are someone else's ride. There are few quicker ways to get the entire group hostile towards you than repeatedly missing a session without notice when one or more group members rely on you for transportation.

28: Don't be a d**k.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post

5. Put the cell phone away. Seriously.
    5a. Especially if the caller is a former girlfriend you're still friends with.
    5b. Double especially if said person calls you every session despite the fact that you've told her this is gaming time.
    5c. I assure you, it is not an emergency. If it is, direct her to call 911. Put the &*(@# phone on mute.

29. Please be sure to level up your character when the DM tells you to level up your character.

30. Greed is good. Do not forget to write your treasure totals down on your sheet.

30a. Do not forget to spend your wealth when you get to town. If you're saving up for a big purchase, fine, but don't forget about it for several levels. You're not just hurting yourself, you're hurting your team when you don't.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2010-10-13 at 01:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SensFan View Post
    I have to strongly disagree with you there. "The party needs a melee tank, roll one up" is good. "Roll up a Human Barbarian" is pushing it slightly, but fine if there's a strong reason for it. "You're playing Bob the Human Barbarian. Here's the character sheet" is completely unacceptable. DnD is first and foremost about the DM and players telling a story together. If my first experience with a DM/party is the DM handing me a character sheet I have to play, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to even bother glancing at the sheet, unless there's extreme extenuating circumstances.
    I have tos strongly disagree with you here, and cite the earliest form of D&D for justification.

Originally, everyone was supposed to play a character created by the GM, instead of creating their own. If anything being told to play a specific character is much more acceptable than being told to roll up a specific race/class combo.

It's common for new players to have to use an already-created character if that would make sense in the storyline.

18. - Top - End - #18

31. If you are there to play a game, do not check your facebook/news/play games/watch movies on your iPod or whatever it is!
    Bow down and pray to the God of Roads, for without his most Holy Paths, you would be forever doomed to travel through the Roadless Wilds.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Campaign
    My Own Hombrew Sci-fi RPG that is ever so slowly being constructed... SLOWLY! Heroes of the Stars Currently on Hold.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the Cool Avatar

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    I have tos strongly disagree with you here, and cite the earliest form of D&D for justification.

Originally, everyone was supposed to play a character created by the GM, instead of creating their own. If anything being told to play a specific character is much more acceptable than being told to roll up a specific race/class combo.

It's common for new players to have to use an already-created character if that would make sense in the storyline.
    My rule on this one:

"Whatever you do, if joining an existing group don't bellyache about any restrictions. If you don't like it leave."

Cell phone use depends on the group a bit. Our group rules are: calls from parents may be taken but should be kept short. The only non-playing significant other dials in over skype and watches from his gf's laptop anyways, so that one's never come up.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-10-13 at 01:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

32. Be aware of plunder. Remember the half-orc wearing a cup: The axes go down and the dagger goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we die all like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

This one is for the SO's.

33. Yes, we're playing in your apartement. Yes, that's your boyfriend right there, acting goofy with people you may not like. But could you please wait until the session is over and have him repair your computer then? And could you please not make your juice in that very loud mixer right now?

...then again, it may just be a personal pet peeve of mine.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

34. If joining an existing game, find out what roles are being played and find something that either isn't being done or can work well with two of them. If forming a new game compare notes beforehand so you don't infringe on someone else's role. There's nothing more annoying than having a new character come in and make yours redundant.

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

saying that its from OD&D isn't the same as citing it, really.
    And is irrelevant. The game a has changed a lot since then....and even then, I'm not performing a play with dice. I'm roleplaying, and I'd never come back to a game where I was told, on a permanent basis to simply play this other character, rhater than one I created.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

35: If a DM shoots down your plan, don't throw a tantrum about it and not contribute for the rest of the session.

36: Just because it isn't your turn, doesn't mean you can just go off on some random tangent with the other people whose turn has yet to come. (I seriously once had a player in my group who would make a turn, then run off and play around. Considering we were playing in a Masonic lodge, it was FAR from appropriate, and eventually my uncle asked me not to invite him any more. Especially when said player licked out all the frosting from the oreos and put them back in the package, and dragged other players off from the gaming table ironically right before their turns)

37: For the love of all that is decent, please don't share the song you're listening to on your ipod with one person with just the speakers. Headphones are made for a reason.

38: If at all possible, try to contribute a little towards the snacks/meal.
    Last edited by Christopher K.; 2010-10-13 at 04:32 PM.
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

39. Have a clear character sheet that anyone can read, not just you.

40. Take the time and make everything you write legible to everyone else there.

Chicken scratch annoys me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

...I have the original ruleset, printed in 1975, distributed by Gygax and Arneson personally at GenCon. It does not say "the Games Master should provide characters". In fact, Volume 1: Men and Magic says, and I am quoting from the booklet DIRECTLY, "players must decide what roles they will play in the campaign, human or otherwise, fighter, cleric, or magic-user." Page 6 says this. There's another line in the following section saying "there is no reason that players cannot be allowed to play as virtually anything". That's on Page 8. If you want to try and make that claim, use proper evidence please, since you are demonstrably incorrect in that claim.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

27. - Top - End - #27

41. Write lightly but clearly on your character sheet, and anybody else's that you might control for any time. Trying to erase heavily written sheets and have the new numbers legible is annoying.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BeholderSlayer View Post
    41. Write lightly but clearly on your character sheet, and anybody else's that you might control for any time. Trying to erase heavily written sheets and have the new numbers legible is annoying.
    42. Electronic character sheets, courtesy of Tangled Web of Myth-Weavers is always appropriate. Just give the GM access and links to them.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-13 at 05:05 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    My rule on this one:

"Whatever you do, if joining an existing group don't bellyache about any restrictions. If you don't like it leave."
    This really needs to be one of the numbered rules: To whit:

43: When considering joining a new group, talk to the DM and the players and find out what style of play the group does, what rules (and unwritten rules) they use and so on, and whether they are playing the sort of game you're prepared to play. Be prepared to be a bit accomodating while you're still new, as at the end of the day, you're coming in as a guest to the group to start with. Don't breeze in and expect them to do things your way; the unwritten codes of conduct groups use vary wildly, and what you consider acceptable, they may think is not (and vice-versa). Optimally, have a test session or two with the group first, before joining in anger.

44: When the DM is running a module, do try to meet them at least half-way and not steer the plot totally away from the module's plot. DMs who run modules often do so for a reason.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    42. Electronic character sheets, courtesy of Tangled Web of Myth-Weavers is always appropriate. Just give the GM access and links to them.
    link please?