New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Certain types of moves

I was wondering if D&D 3.5 or 4e have anything like these...

*An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost

*An ability that auto-counters failed Attacks of Opportunity against the player

*Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around...
    My characters: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php?sg=41703

GENERATION 7D: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add applesauce to the generation. This is a social experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Certain types of moves

Quote Originally Posted by zyborg View Post

*An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost

*Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around...
    #1 Magic of incarnum has soulmelds for that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Diehard feat?
    2. ?
    3. Please be more specific. For attacking there is Weapon Finesse and finessable weapons (as the primary example). I believe SS and MH had more stat-swap feats. ToB probably does, too, but my experience there is limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost
    Tome of Battle has a tactical feat called Faith Unswerving. One of the abilities is "One Last Strike", you get an immediate attack when you hit 0 HP.

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

Ah, cool. Diehard sounds about right for #1. And #3, I don't think I need help with that anymore...

AS for number 2... what I mean is, if you move away from an opponent, and they use their Attack of Opportunity and fail, is there a feat that allows a counterattack?

GENERATION 7D: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add applesauce to the generation. This is a social experiment.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

defensive throw gives you an AoO against your dodge target if it misses an AoO against you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit handle the AoO stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit handle the AoO stuff.
    Robilar doesn't counter AoOs. It makes people who attack you provoke AoOs.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure why you asked about both 3.5 and 4 but...
    Several 4E powers either trigger when you hit 0 HP and keep you going (see the Barbarian Utilities in particular) including one (IIRC 10th Level) which allows you to keep functioning at the cost of 5 HP / turn, even when you drop below 0 HP.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking to do here. 4E doesn't let you take Immediate Actions on your own turn, so I doubt there's anything that gives you a free attack when someone fails an OA against you. That said, there may be Free or No Action powers which do.

Using STR to do what?

EDIT: OK, now I'm intrigued. Why exactly did you ask these particular questions?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-10-13 at 12:08 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Robilar doesn't counter AoOs. It makes people who attack you provoke AoOs.
    So if someone makes AoO against you, you get an AoO against them? Sounds good enough.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    So if someone makes AoO against you, you get an AoO against them? Sounds good enough.
    And if they have it too, you can trade whacks at each other until someone runs out of AoOs for the round.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

defensive throw gives you an AoO against your dodge target if it misses an AoO against you.
    I love defensive throw.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Elusive Target [CWar] gives you a Trip-attempt against opponent who fails an AoO on you. Note that unlike the other uses of the feat, this doesn't have to be against your Dodge-target. Which is excellent. The feat rocks in general.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

I think you can probably see what type of character I'm trying to come up with... :P

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

The level 20 knight ability lets you continue going even if your hit points go below -10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around
    I think there is Brutal Throw feat somewhere (or something like that) that allows you to throw stuff using Str modifier to attack roll, instead of Dex.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    I think there is Brutal Throw feat somewhere (or something like that) that allows you to throw stuff using Str modifier to attack roll, instead of Dex.
    I remember that feat, but I don't remember the exact name, either.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

That's kinda what I was looking for...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I think you can probably see what type of character I'm trying to come up with... :P
    But why ask for both 3.5 and 4E?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Complete Adventurer.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

I'm trying to learn both... 4 is the one I have, 3.5 is the one that a lot of people seem to like... and I'm trying to get moves for both games...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to learn both... 4 is the one I have, 3.5 is the one that a lot of people seem to like... and I'm trying to get moves for both games...
    Ah.

So... if you want counterattackers, Defenders are a good place to start - they have a lot of Immediate powers. Rogues also have a couple powers that trigger on OAs - such as "Move a bunch. Anyone who could take an OA at you instead attacks an adjacent enemy."

Barbarians might provide the best fusion of #1 & #2 - they have a lot of "I'm not dying now" powers and several "hit me and I'll hit you" ones as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    The level 20 knight ability lets you continue going even if your hit points go below -10.
    Immortal Fortitude: Stance —You cannot die due to hit point damage. Available to a level 15 Crusader.
    Last edited by aeauseth; 2010-10-13 at 01:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by aeauseth View Post
    Immortal Fortitude: Stance —You cannot die due to hit point damage. Available to a level 15 Crusader.
    Frenzied Berserker's Deathless Frenzy works in the same vein. And every single invulnerability spell combination ever.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aeauseth View Post
    If this makes anyone freak out, unlike most stances you can only use it for a limited time (IIRC the more damage you take the harder it is to maintain).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-10-13 at 02:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    If this makes anyone freak out, unlike most stances you can only use it for a limited time (IIRC the more damage you take the harder it is to maintain).
    Your negative HP total determines the Fort Save DC to stay alive. And after 3 uses, it's deactivated. I do like it with Counter Stance and Stance of Alacrity and Double Stance tho Heck, you can toss stances around like crazy with that combination and get Aura of Perfect Order up there too to take 11 when necessary.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-10-13 at 02:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Thanks for all of this. Now... I have two (or) more requests:

1) A move that does auto-damage to those who fail an attack of opportunity on a 'moving' character by a certain amount (moving as in having moved triggered the AoO)

2) Something that increases AC when running and not using a main action

2.5+) Basically, make a character that has momentum advantages. (can't think of any others, other than perhaps that makes things act like you are a size larger when charging or something crazy like that...)

I'm trying to come up with a Juggernaut 'pseudoclass'...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Spamalot in the Playground

1) Autohypnosis lets you act while disabled.

2) Monk of the Enabled Hand (DrgCmp) can auto-counter attacks. Other than that you will probably need things that grant you more AoO's than you normally get.

3) Use Str for what?

4) Dungeoncrasher Fighter fits a "Juggernaut" concept quite well. Scouts also benefit from moving but aren't quite as smashy.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    1) Autohypnosis lets you act while disabled.

2) Monk of the Enabled Hand (DrgCmp) can auto-counter attacks. Other than that you will probably need things that grant you more AoO's than you normally get.

3) Use Str for what?

4) Dungeoncrasher Fighter fits a "Juggernaut" concept quite well. Scouts also benefit from moving but aren't quite as smashy.
    Dungeoncrasher Fighter? Any place that I could find that?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Besides those already mentioned I think there's some Barbarian rage that does this too.

All sorts of reactionary abilities exist.

In 4e, the last is pretty much the concept of the various use the better of two abilities. And I'm sure for any given ability, there's a mechanical equivalent that uses another attribute.