Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default The Court of Lord Ho IC

For most of you, you have been in the Imperial Court for months reveling and partying to curry favor in the off season. But now it is time for your work. The Emperor has called to order the Winter Court, spanning the first three months of the year.

All the clans have sent their representatives, even Tanuki which until recently was little more than a group of peasants with delusions of grandeur. However, their main family recognized as a noble line and their allowance of a formal seat in the Imperial Court has made their influence real.

Lord Ho has lived for nigh on eighty years, and ruled for almost sixty of those. Unfortunately his wife died young and none of his concubines were able to sire him an heir. Now too old to actually have a child, the fate of the empire is uncertain. Perhaps before his death he will nominate a formal heir to take over. Otherwise his passing could lead to complete and utter chaos.

Gathering in the official Court Hall , the Emperor has received all of you. You are seated at a majestically large bamboo table just ten feet from the emperor. Few, if any, other than you can claim such an honor.

The venerable Lord Ho rises from his throne, addressing you "Welcome all to the official beginning of the Imperial Court's winter session. Would anyone like to set the first topic for discussion?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Court of Lord Ho IC

Jyn'Hao motions from his seat, glancing around at the other noble representatives with a small smile.

"If I may be so bold, honored and respected elders. I know I am much younger then those present and that my family is but a small piece of this grand nation we call home. But if it pleases all here, I shall do my best to honor all with the first topic?"

He stands, removing a map from his sleeve and rolling out out onto the table.

"As presented your Grace and noble men, this is a map of the current lands our nation controls. I would ask permission and perhaps aid in undertaking a momentousness project. As you can see by the red around our boarders, this is the highest threat region from barbarian invasion. Were it not for the most benevolent and vigilant Rabbit clan we'd surely be swept away by uncouth louts. But is it not time to give the people of the Rabbit Clan a rest? Should they toil in anguish?! I say NO! The boarders we share with these tribes can no longer remain fallow and untapped! I propose a wall the likes of which no one has ever seen on this earth that will stretch towards the heavens, to commemorate the peaceful rule of Lord Ho!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Xun Kong, Rabbit Clan

Xun Kong half hopped,half walked to address the Imperial Senate with a slight smile on his lips. He bowed and spoke:

''Venerable Lord Ho, respected Clan Representatives, I hope you will excuse the impudence of the lowly Tanuki Clan, whose speaker brings shame on his people, by speaking out of turn, before the senior members of the Imperial Senate had a chance to voice their wise proposals. The young tend to be rash and reckless. And their fantasies are so amusing, ah.’’

''Please let, this humble representative of the Rabbit Clan, bring the following proposal before the Imperial Senate and our wise Lord. The barbarians are indeed a threat, that must be addressed. The Rabbit Clan has long served as eyes and ears in the dirty barbarian lands, to warn other Clans of invasions. But our efforts are limited by the vastness of the Empire. Before our messengers bring the warning of barbarian armies, a lot of time passes, as they must journey many miles, often riding their horses to death, for the urgency of their news is great. If a message service was organized, under the supervision of the Rabbit Clan, the response time would be shortened considerably. All the Clans need to do is maintain posts for messengers with the fresh horses at regular intervals and good roads between them. Once the messenger, bearing news of the invasion, would arrive to one post, he’ll pass the message to the next messenger with a fresh horse. It is an easy and practical measure, that will serve our land well in the coming years.''
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2010-10-13 at 06:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Musashi Hori, Dragon Clan

Kensai Hori stood to address the council following the statement of the representative of the Rabbit Clan

"I must voice my agreement with Senator Kong, but, I do not believe it goes far enough. It still relies on men and horses who can easily be intercepted and must take to the roads adding considerable distance to any trip. However, if the mystics of my order were assigned to these frontier posts we would be able to use trained birds to relay these messages to others of my clan in total secrecy. The barbarians would be unable to intercept these messages and the birds would be able to take the most direct routes avaliable flying over mountains and rivers."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Shiro Hebi, Snake Clan

"Here's a thought." Shiro Hebi placed his hand on the side of his face to hold it up, a bored expression plastered on his features. "Why do we bother to allow these barbarians organize enough for them to BE a threat to our glorious empire? Simply remove their military leaders from power, or perhaps placate them, and we have nothing to fear from such foolish ingrates. Your message system has merit," He looked to Senator Hori, "But they would be easily intercepted once they are discovered, and would take too long to train. Simply allow the Snake and Rat clans more leeway in their infiltration to the barbarian lands, and we can find warning earlier and end invasions before they even begin."
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-13 at 06:43 PM.
    I'm done blaming myself for things that are someone else's fault.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505
    I'm always available to talk (just let me know you're from the playground)

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying
    Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeou Ondori, Rooster Clan

Yeou smiles sadly at Xun Kong. "While it may be in the nature of the young to be rash, it saddens me to see it is still in the nature of the old to be dismissive."

Yeou then turns to face Jyn'Hao "Please enlighten the Court if you will, on why you feel the need for a wall at this time? The Rabbit Clan has long held the border against the barbarian hoards. Indeed if one Clan holds their entire force at bay, woe would be the hoard to breach the Rabbits defenses to find another 11 Clans ready to defend this empire with their dying breath.

While a wall may indeed serve the Rabbit Clan well, how would you propose they fund its construction? Does the Tanuki Clan possess the wealth to build it alone? Do you even have enough skill in engineering to construct such a wall?

I must also say it is curious to propose such an action on behalf of another Clan. The Rabbits lands, and its problems are for it to raise in this Court. It is simply not your place to make such a proposal. However, the Rooster Clan admires your efforts to assist other Clans in their issues and although it was a misguided attempt, it is clear your intent was pure and for that you should be honored."

Yeou gives the slightest of bows to Jyn'Hao, before turning to face Xun Kong.
    "A wondrous suggestion, Lord Xun Kong. However I wonder if the Rabbit Clan can spare the men to successfully supervise such a large operation. It seems to me that for the sake of fairness both to the Rabbit Clan and to those other Clans that may wish to have a hand in such an agreement that supervision of such a message service be given directly to Lord Ho. Naturally the best riders from each Clan will be offered to act as messengers however, they will swear an oath of allegiance to Lord Ho, an oath that releases them from their commitment to their personal Clan. In such a way we can ensure that the messages are received at their destination unmolested.

For while some bandits may assault a messenger from a Clan, it would be a truly foolish man indeed to assault a messenger of Lord Ho."

7. - Top - End - #7

Jyn’Hao stands, bowing to Yeou Ondori with a faint smile.

“Your words are kind honored elder, thank you for your words. I will certainly do my level best to answer all your questions and concerns. While it is true that such an undertaking would cost a great deal and require skilled workers, I have both the knowledge and the understanding that my Clan will give as much money to the project as they can. If we could only open up more trade with the other nations, I know for sure that the money we need would indeed come tumbling in. Lord Ho willing of course.

But such a proposition for this is not without the understanding that it will take many men a good deal of time to complete. Peasents and farmers need work in the off seasons and when there is no war, their family either goes hungry or they resort to other means of gaining the money they require. This project would easily cut down on the bandits you speak of, while ensuring the peasantry is kept happy and civil during the fallow months. I offer this plea only in the better interest of the entire country after all. It is in Lord Ho’s name that I wish to build this monument of ever lasting peace. To show the reign of the greatest Lord our nation has ever seen will be remembered for generations to come.

Also consider honorable Representitive of the Rooster Clan, that if this Wall was to be undertaken, the entire Nation itself would profit. To other countries we would look strong. Able to build such a powerful and lasting defense against the barbarian lands, we would shine against their lesser accomplishments like a beacon of glory. Trade would increase as more and more people would come to see such a powerful landmark. The more Clan’s that take on this project, the closer our ties could be, thus ensuring that the peace the Wall represents would last generations still beyond. And of course, the Rabbit Clan has defended our great nation…but do you think it is not time we stop simply defending ourselves with men who can bleed and die? Should we not stop throwing away lives that could be better used elsewhere in the country? We are of the Earth, as would this Wall be. It would be the great arms of our homeland embracing us and keeping us safe. This Wall would be holy.

Surely the Dragon Clan can see this is no mere monument to one man, but the entire Country he has built? That the Wall itself would become a pilgrimage site. The faith of the entire nation would grow stronger! This Wall represents everything about our country. Our solidarity. Our commitment. The strength of its people!”

He bows once more deeply to the other representitives and Lord Ho, lowering his voice once his speech is done.

“Thank you honored elders and Lord Ho for indulging me.”

He then takes his seat, smiling around the room.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lord General Nguyê'n Thuô'ng Tabishi

The lord general strugglingly stood up, slowly rising to his feet with the use of his cane, to signal that he requested the word. Waiting until everyone had quiteted down before speaking, his voice surprisngly strong for a man his age.

"Honoured representatives, I am truly grateful that this court in its wisdom recognice the threat of the vile barbarians. They are indeed one of the more significant threats of our existance.
    Allthough I feel I must remind the esteemed representative of the Rooster clan that it is Horse and Ram that hold the border, not Rabbit. Not that their contributions aren't appriciated mind.

However, to the matter of hand. I feel that a sense of scale is lacking in this discussions. A wall to protect our border, is sadly, an impossibilty I feel. The scale of such a undertaking is not to be considered trivial. While I cannot speak fo the lands of the north, in the south we have the vast grass ocean. Day after day after day of neverceasing steppe. Not only would building a wall there require an almost infinite amount of material and workers, but everything would have to be transported there and built from the ground up. I feel that building a wall is simply one of those legendary projects of the mythical era... those that never seem to approach being finished.

Not that the idea wasn't good in principle, mind. I think it is very honourable of the Tanuki to present their thoughts for discussion.

As for a message system... this is something the horse clan already do employ between our various patroling armies and camps. Sending groups of courier by horse from one to another to coordinate our response to meet the neverceasing threat. It allows us to quickly an effectively raise our defences. I myself have ridden in such a patrol, when I was a young man, and I know well that the system is a perfectly functional one. In the rare occassion we have failed to immediatly intercept the hordes, we have as a rule always dispatched a messenger-patrol to the central provinces already.

I did in fact recieve a message from our southern border just a few days ago through this channel. The information provided is most distressing I feel."

The lord general waved his hand to one of his rough bodyguards, who took a step forward to his side and provided the Lord General with a note bearing the seal of the Horse clan.

"It is the fact that the southern barbarians are probing our defences, strking with a concerning accurancy against our camps and forces. As if they know where they were. I'd like to remind everyone that due to the nature of our forces and the availabilty of grazing, we keep many camps constantly moving.
    My experience, and that of my colleagues in the south, tells me that this is the precursor of an invasion. The southern barbarians are testing us. Seeing if we're ripe for the plunder.
    The situation raises many questions indeed".

The Lord General sat down, albeit with some difficulty, and awaited eagerly for the debate to continue.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Zukon Zhao, Boar Clan

Standing to address the council, Zukon Zhao adds his own voice to the debate.

"I for one support the idea of building a grand wall along our borders. All honor to the Rabbit and Dragon clans for their suggestions, but messengers fail, and assassins," He pauses and openly glares at Shiro Hebi. " Assassins would not show our might to the barbarians. No they would interpret it as weakness, as an indication that we fear to face them in battle. A wall however would stand openly and ever ready, an eternal guard on our borders. And as for the Honored General's doubts about the possibility of it's construction, I say is that not how it should be. Should not an empire as great as our own deserve a wall that is so mighty it takes generations to complete. And after those generations will not our descendants remember us forever as the ones who were so bold as to take the first step in the construction of such a monument."

Zukon Zhao pauses and looks in the lord general's direction.

"And as for the southern barbarians they have invaded before and always the Horse Clan has beaten them. I have faith that you will do so again."

He pauses for a moment as if considering and then continues.

Unless of course the Horse Clan feels that this time the barbarians will be beyond its strength to handle. In which case we of the Boar clan will gladly lend our support.

10. - Top - End - #10

The emperor silences the group with a sweeping motion of his hand.

I do believe we have a number of separate topics to discuss. Shall we vote upon which to address first?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Shiro Hebi

"I do not show off strength for the sake of it, i am suggesting assassination so they have no one capable of leading and thus they will not WANT to attack." He leaned forward, his hand dropping to his leg.
    "Does anyone here honestly believe that this proposed wall would be any better? The process of such an engineering feat would take years, even if we roused every living being in the empire and used half of them for mortar. It would show us as cowardly and ripe for the plucking, without the bonus of the enemy losing their most competent leaders. Messengers may be able to warn us of the attacks - IF they get lucky - but they will not stop the actual attacks.

The Horse clan is mighty as you say,"
    He looked to Zhao, "But if they are alarmed over the threat of these barbarians, then there is clearly some risk involved in simply allowing things to continue as they are.

Another option, if assassination makes the court too queasy, is misdirection. We could simply fool the barbarians into attacking the most heavily defended place we have, and kill them all. Such a battle will serve well to deter them from invading us in the future, however wealthy we may be. And-"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapjack View Post
    The emperor silences the group with a sweeping motion of his hand.

I do believe we have a number of separate topics to discuss. Shall we vote upon which to address first?
    Hebi paused, then sighed. "The southern border should be adressed first."
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-13 at 08:26 PM.
    I'm done blaming myself for things that are someone else's fault.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Discord: HalfTangible#7505
    I'm always available to talk (just let me know you're from the playground)

Extended Sig

Current Roleplaying
    Kalani the Heartbinder in Pan-aeons [God Game]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Zukon Zhao, Boar Clan

"Yes all talk of future should plans should wait until after we decide that the barbarians aren't a threat. I vote that we address them first."

13. - Top - End - #13

Yeou nods "The southern border must be addressed."

14. - Top - End - #14

Jyn'Hao waves a hand, shrugging only slightly.

"If it truly is such a threat then it must be seen to. The Southern Boarder for the moment seems most pressing."

15. - Top - End - #15

"Then we shall discuss the southern Border."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

16. - Top - End - #16

"I believe it is prudent to discuss the barbarian situation of the southern border first."

17. - Top - End - #17

Then it is settled! We are to speak of the threatening barbarian horde. What are your thoughts on the matter? Lord Ho asks the court members.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Lady Shu Fang Kezami
    For the first time, the gathering's only female voice entered the discussion.

"Each clan to contribute half their ready troops? It would seem unwise to commit all our fighting men to one location, if only because other barbarians might become emboldened while we were distracted. Perhaps we should excuse Dragon and Ram from contributing to Snake's aid, as they will still have their own portions of the borders to defend, but I do not think the rest of us have any such excuse."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgemaster Sakagin Shukke

Merely listening as the others debate, Sakagin once again remembers why he dislikes the court. Too much talk and no action... Nothing ever got done in here as long as the elders of the clans continued to come up with increasingly ludicrous suggestions to the emperor. A wall... Bah, that one would never work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapjack
    Then it is settled! We are to speak of the threatening barbarian horde. What are your thoughts on the matter? Lord Ho asks the court members.
    "Your highness, honoured elders" he says as he stands momentarily up, spreading his hands slightly. "While I do see the merit of having defence against the hordes in the future, I see little reason why such a construction would keep us safe and sound. We all know that the barbarians will not be stopped with walls, but with swords and spears! It is my personal opinion that more patrols should be sent to the boarder to protect the common people, and armies amassed to combat the threat in a way that has worked countless times in the past. Unless" he says and looks sourly at Snake clan representative "some would like to hide in their fortresses instead of fighting like true warriors should and instead sending out assassins". The sharper tone in his voice gives clearly away what he thinks of said profession.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-10-14 at 01:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

"I suppose I better clarify the issue, so that there is as little minsconception as possible. That the barbarians probe us is nothing new, it happens very often. But it is the manner in which they do it that is concerning.

They know where our patrols ride and they know where our mobile camps are. It is something new. An organised attack we have faced before, and while it is always concering it is rarely alarming. But they are very well informed, and it is very unlikely that this is something learned from experience. Unless they have learned it for decades and only now show it. To make an analogy... they are striking at our eyes. It is the very patrols they attack that we use to see them.

Rest assured, we are not at any crisis yet. We are still strong and can handle the attacks on our own. Unless the situation have marginally changed in the twenty days since the message was sent we are at no risk of finding barbarians on our door.

But the wise man prepares for the worst, and thus I saw it to be prudent to raise the issue."

Lord General Nguyê'n paused for a moment, thinking before yet again speaking in a soft and contemplative tone.

"There is also the issue that we had no warning this year. Usually, when the barbarians are this organised we recieve some indication of this well ahead of the attacks. But none this year. Why that is is certainly a question that warrants answering" lord Tabishi added, the last sentence with a slightly concerned tone as he rested his eyes on the representative of the Rabbit clan. An accusation implied but never uttered.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Sora Oushi had staid silent as the court erupted into confusion and bickerings following the proposal of the Tanuki "Clan".
    In his mind, the prideful samurai couldn't bear himself to look at Jyn'Hao as a noble.
    The commoner was but an foolish usurper who would soon alienate some of the most conservative clans.
    Why waste words to kill the fox when it is hanging itself ?
    As the topic was decided, Sora spoke, looking directly at the Horse representative :

Sora Oushi :
    -The venerable Lord General Tabishi shows us here he is indeed a man of experience, wisdom and cunning.
    For his words tell us with no doubt that spies are lying among our own.
    The questions would be why, where and who.
    This humble samuraï does not pretend to answer the "Why", for his mind cannot understand the motives of traitors.

But it may be wise to suggest Lord General Tabishi to look in his own House for the "Where".
    For in no other place are the patrols of the Horse Clan discussed.
    As to the "Who", it shouldn't be long.
    For Lord Tabishi surely control his own people as befit a Clan's head.
    He therefor surely knows who might have access to the information.

He then raises a hand and, palm open toward the ceiling, point at the Rat representative.
    Sora Oushi :
    -The gracious Lady Kezami speaks wisely of keeping reserves.
    I can but agree with her words on that matter : to commit one's strength against the ennemy while we are blind is useless.
    While we spread our troops thin along a southern border, the enemy may gather his strengths and strike at one point.
    The barbarians shall then find lands empty of most defenses.
    Only the Horse Clan may have then the speed to catch the looters.

Bowing slightly his head, he then faced the Emperor.
    Sora Oushi :
    -The Ox offers a tenth of its troops to defend the lands, people and honor of Your Grace.
    Shall Your Grace requests more, it shall of course be provided.
    But I can only stress the necessity for each lord to guard his own house against a threath we do not know enough about.
    Last edited by Johel; 2010-10-14 at 03:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Xun Kong, of Rabbit Clan

''A gift must be repaid with a gift. Esteemed Lord General Nguyê'n Thuô'ng Tabishi presented the Rabbit Clan with an accusation, so I shall respond in kind. The simplest answer as to how the barbarians know so much about the Horse Clan’s patrols, is that they are either led by a traitor officer from the Horse Clan or they have bribed someone with access to this information. If that is so, this is an internal matter the Horse Clan should have investigated, before bringing it up before the Imperial Senate.''

Xun Kong found it strange to concur with Sora Oushi so thoroughly. Perhaps he misjudged the brutish oaf.

''As for the warning from the Rabbit Clan, the raids against the borders are nothing new. Rabbit Clan has no spies in the lands of other Clans, so we believed it was simply a matter of laxity on the Horse Clan’s part, that so many of the raids were successful. If we’d known it were your scouts, that were hit, this would have given us cause for alarm. Perhaps the border Clans should send information about their border situations and military strength to the Rabbit Clan, so seeing the issue from the both sides, we could better serve the Empire in warning it of the barbarian threats.''

Several messages are passed are passed discreetly:

Boar Clan
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps it would be of interest for you to pass by me briefly in the recess. I’ve got a single thought to share, which if you find it interesting, we could discuss later in a more private location.

Ox Clan
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps it would be of interest for you to pass by me briefly in the recess. I’ve got a single thought to share, which if you find it interesting, we could discuss later in a more private location.

Horse Clan
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Lady Shu Fang Kezami
    "I think I may know a way to use this leak to our advantage. I would rather not discuss the details with the full council, but rather with Lord General Tabashi personally. There is a saying amoung my clan: The safety of a secret falls as its guard increases.

You may wonder why I mention this if I do not wish to discuss it, and the answer is quite simple: Knowing that the Lord General and I will cover the matter ourselves absolves the rest of you of the need to debate this particular point: One in which, to put things bluntly, few of you are actual experts, and most of you are prone to rash actions or careless words.

Now, if there are no objections, I suggest you return to deciding what aid you wish to provide our colleagues of the South.
    "

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgemaster Sakagin Shukke

"The Tiger clan will be glad to supply arms and armour to the forces that hold South safe from invaders"
    , Sakagin says "at reasonable price of course. In addition, we will send warriors to hold the barbarians back... Though how many, that is still yet to be decided. I would like to hear the opinion of Southern clans on the matter, since the desicion made by this court shall affect them the most"
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-10-14 at 04:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeou leans back, watching the discussion. He has little to add but his interest is clearly peaked.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Takeru Yamazaru - Monkey

"The words of Oushi are exceptionally wise; it will give the Horse clan a great favour if they were to listen to powerful and decisive arguments.

"The Monkey clan borders the Horse clan and as such I would reccomend Tabishi and I come to an arrangement to allow us to provide aid without delay once it is required. The aid? I would gladly lend every single soldier that is under my control to the Horse clan for the good of the empire.

"My final note is this: though few dislike the snake clan more than myself (and those few mostly gathered here) it seems to me that the Rats, the Rabits and the Snakes should work together to solve, by whatever means they choose, the catalyst that has caused the barbarians to become so much more organised."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Lady Shu Fang Kazumi
    "While your suggestions are appreciated, Lord Yamazaru, while it may be often referred to as the 'shadow war', the operation of spies is not conducted along military lines. The key to victory is not the concentration of troops: It is acting in ways that your enemy does not suspect, cannot detect, and therefore cannot react to or counter.

This is why I do not wish counters to this breach to be discussed in committee, or for the form or scope of our response to be discussed here where many may hear it, and recount it to even more. Let it be enough that I have said I will aid Lord General Tabashi on this matter, and leave it and move on. When I need a poisoner's help, I will contact my colleague of the Snake clan myself.
    "

28. - Top - End - #28

The Lord General paled slightly and tightened his grasp on the head of the cane as accusations of the worst kind were levered against his people. That a man of the horse would betray his kin for filthy unwashed swine! Unthinkable. But he kept his face blank and his eyes expressionless, suffering through the discussions.
    As he recieved a note from master Kong, he looked it through before giving the representative a nod to confirm that he recieved and accepted the message. Upon the suggestin from the lady Kezami, the aged general bowed his head in her direction. To signal that he accepted the invitation of discussing cooperation.

"I wish to apologise to this council for failing to provide some crucial information. Sometimes things that are close to heart to us are simple to forget to mention, for thinking they are obvious.

The people of the horse are like a family, we are born, raised, train, serve and grow old closely together. The barbarians are perhaps a distant threat here, but in our lands they are always present. If we fail to hold the border it is at the cost of the blood of our families, of our parents, sisters and children. It is unthinkable that one of us would betray another to the barbarians. It is an insult of the worst kind, but I assume it was not an intended one.

Never the less, masters Oushi and Usagi are correct, it would be foolish of us not to investigate the issue internally. The first action of any commander is to look to his own ranks first. Which we of course did. We found nothing.

That is why the issue is raised. It is not only the officers of the horse that know the patrolroutes, but there are many frequent travellers along the roads in our lands. Traders and people taking advantage of the security that our patrols provide. It is also not unknown that thanks to the flat plains of our lands, a detour through our lands can be a quicker road than crossing the internal regions of the empire. These people might not be aware of the exact details of our patrols, but they will have seen enough of them.

That is why we are raising the issue, we would not trouble you with it beyond a warning if we suspected it was one of our own."
    Last edited by Aux-Ash; 2010-10-14 at 06:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Rabbit Clan

Xun Kong rose after the Horse Clan general’s speech and bowed to the members of the Imperial Senate,

I would of course believe the word of the esteemed Clan representative. The spies among the travellers could be the reason for the trouble. It would make sense, that under the guise of merchants the barbarians could infiltrate our lands and provide critical intelligence information. It would make the most sense then, for the Rabbit Clan to oversee the character of all traders, that pass the borders of the Empire. My Clan knows the most about the customs of the barbarians, so Rabbit Clan officials could talk to the merchants and travellers, see if their intentions are true and issue papers that would confirm their trustworthiness. The uncovered spies would of course be surrendered to the Clans, on the land of which they were captured, for the swift and just punishment.

The other possible explanation for the barbarian efficiency is a leader with great insight in tactics and strategy. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps the Snake Clan’s proposal would be the cheapest and most efficient way to deal with the problem.

Topic: Barbarian Threat
    Proposal: Let Rabbit Clan issue travel documents for those coming in and going out of the Empire as an anti-spy measure.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2010-10-14 at 06:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hao Ko stares around the room bewildered at the speed of the discussion, barely able to keep up, but starting to lose even that. Stop that. Focus, this is like a battle, I need to follow everything at once. Breath in, breath out. Focus. He listens closely and intently, and says, "Honored Xun Kong, it seems you underestimate the barbarians. True their advanced tactics and coordination may come from a single leader, but the barbarians are not half wits, they can organize without being told to. In addition, even if it is a single leader, assassination, might not be the best method. You see, the barbarians are great in number, and it is likely that there are more people that are almost as good as their supposed master leader at the moment, and killing him will not hamper them much more than if they killed one of us. If their is a leader that is organizing the barbarians, then perhaps the best way to deal with the threat is to appease the leader, and get him on our side, or get the rest of the barbarians to fight him, thus destroying all their armies without damaging ours."
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."
    -Wash

Sharing is caring, and I don't care.

Omnia erit bonus.