New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default 3.5 making a ranged archivist

I remember reading somewhere about using an archivist like a ranger with the awesome ranger spells from books like the spell compendium. So far thats about what I have going on, any tips of tricks for this build?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 making a ranged archivist

Archivist basically uses Cleric's tricks and spells to be an impressive combatant and then uses Ranger spells to showcase awesome as an Archer.

The baseline is that you want Divine Power on you; preferably Persistent. Divine Metamagic [CDiv] is the easiest way to go about that. This gives you effectively full BAB. You can acquire turning for Divine Metamagic with e.g. a Sacred Exorcist dip. Then you stack various Clerical buffs (Divine Favor, Blessed Aim, et cetera) for numeric buffs.

Then you take all the goodies like Hunter's Mercy, Find the Gap, Hunter's Eye and so on from the Ranger-list; they're Divine spells so you can learn them. Then you use them and hurt your foes big time. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by junglesteve View Post
    I remember reading somewhere about using an archivist like a ranger with the awesome ranger spells from books like the spell compendium. So far thats about what I have going on, any tips of tricks for this build?
    My current character is kinda going that route, actually.

First, it relies on you being able to buy scrolls of the relevant spells (and ideally, domain spells if your DM clears that1). Zen Archery is a good start, if you're going to be shooting things, probably with PBS and Precise Shot later if you have the feats spare.

My first starter for ten was actually Chill of the Grave, which is a nice 1st level neem for an Archivist (D10 cold damage? Yes, thanks!) I bought a few scrolls out of my starting funds.

Other things to look out for are the druid's Splinter Bolt and Adept's Scorching Ray at 2nd level spells. (I've not got that far myself yet, we've only had two sessions!)

As an archer archer (as opposed to a ranged-touch-spell shooter, which is what I'm going for), you'll suffer a bit to start with because of the low BAB, until at least level 7 when you get Divine Power. (And obviously, if you want a bow, you'll have to be an Elf, multiclass or burn a feat.)

1As written, you technically can learn domain spells, but it's gone on record that the designers didn't really want you to be able to do that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Don't forget the Paladin list! Archivists can take Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) which makes all of their Paladin spells swift actions instead of standards - i.e. free Quicken Spell. Cast Find the Gap as a paladin spell instead of a ranger spell and full attack immediately.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Other things to look out for are the druid's Splinter Bolt
    That's the one with no-save stun?

[Edit]: No, I was thinking some other spell.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-10-14 at 07:44 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.