New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Bone Knight (Eberron 3.5)

Ok so this class looks awesome for melee clerics, but I've got this problem. The class is literally steeped in Necromancy, which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. However, Animate Dead is a decidedly evil spell. So my question is:

Does Bone Knight eventually force you into evil?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bone Knight (Eberron 3.5)

I'd discuss it with your DM, personally, especially since many folks (myself included) are of the opinion that Animate Dead isn't actually evil. I mean, if my army of skeletons runs soup kitchens and builds orphanages, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's Eberron. Evil=/= "Evil"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

4. - Top - End - #4

Eberron is quite flexible on alignment and spell descriptors. The relevant information is on page 35 of Eberron Campaign Setting: the rules state that if you repeatedly cast an Evil spell your alignment could begin to change, but that's not guaranteed.

By the way, this could be an interesting RP issue: your character is well aware that he's dabbling with Evil, and thus sometimes he feels that he has to amend, going on a special quest to right a wrong, donate some money for a Good cause, etcetera.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Basically, if it does, then you can take actions to counteract it. Or continue on as you have been depending upon how evil the people you're thwarting are, and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I mean, if my army of skeletons runs soup kitchens and builds orphanages, what's the problem?
    I love you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd discuss it with your DM, personally, especially since many folks (myself included) are of the opinion that Animate Dead isn't actually evil. I mean, if my army of skeletons runs soup kitchens and builds orphanages, what's the problem?
    Did you get permission from the original owners and/or loved ones? Even if your running a soup kitchen with bone soup, doesn't make it right your forcing someone body against their will to do what you want. Besides, what if they hate kids?

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dracons View Post
    Did you get permission from the original owners and/or loved ones? Even if your running a soup kitchen with bone soup, doesn't make it right your forcing someone body against their will to do what you want. Besides, what if they hate kids?
    You mean other than the whole bit about how "Dave's being here anymore, man," bit?

And the bodies of fallen foes being usually left for the crows anyway, so you're cheating the carrion creatures out of some bone marrow.

And of course, long-dead skeletons(or better yet, fossils, then they're all stony) usually don't have any loved-ones who'd care.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-14 at 07:45 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    YAnd of course, long-dead skeletons(or better yet, fossils, then they're all stony) usually don't have any loved-ones who'd care.
    Animated fossil should be more an animated object rather than an undead, given that it's all stone, just in the shape of bones.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Animated fossil should be more an animated object rather than an undead, given that it's all stone, just in the shape of bones.
    There's actually a template for animated fossils in Libris Mortis. I've been intending to homebrew a PrC that makes them...
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

You could simply avoid using the spells that have the Evil descriptor. We used to have a Lawful Good Necromancer in our party, who never raised a single undead creature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe the Bard View Post
    You could simply avoid using the spells that have the Evil descriptor. We used to have a Lawful Good Necromancer in our party, who never raised a single undead creature.
    maybe you have a different concept of necromancers... but to me the archetypical necromancer is the guy who goes "Muahahah, rise from your graves my undead minions"
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Maybe he was just born during Dia de los Muertos, giving him an understandable fascination with the subject.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Depends. Observe necromancy in the Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. The dark elves used necromancy as a major part of their religion and that trafficking with fiendish extra-planar entities is not entirely evil either.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Maybe he was just born during Dia de los Muertos, giving him an understandable fascination with the subject.
    If said necromancer had this fascination, why hasn't he raises any undead?

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    Depends. Observe necromancy in the Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. The dark elves used necromancy as a major part of their religion and that trafficking with fiendish extra-planar entities is not entirely evil either.
    Never said he was evil, just that to me being a necromancer inherently means raising undeads.
    Just call me Dusk

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    If said necromancer had this fascination, why hasn't he raises any undead?

Never said he was evil, just that to me being a necromancer inherently means raising undeads.
    He lacks the appropriate Spellcaster level? His interest is more intellectual?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'll give you that amphetryon, but I stated it was my view on the necromancy
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    maybe you have a different concept of necromancers... but to me the archetypical necromancer is the guy who goes "Muahahah, rise from your graves my undead minions"
    Thats the thing about archetypes, they're just common examples used to represent something. Just like there are fallen paladins, necromancers may also rise.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

To become Batman.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Our LG Necromancer was... interesting, to say the least. He was inflicted with a homebrewed disease that made his flesh rot off, so he was wrapped with a special robe that kept his body intact, like Darth Vader. His character had a very dark image, but he stuck by his Lawful Good alignment and avoided using any spell with the Evil descriptor. He still had some good Necromancy spells he could use; he just never led an army of undead minions.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Sounds like the type that could've done with a Necropolitan in hand.

...Come to think of it, what would a Necropolitan be? With a Cosmo, you've got vodka, triple sec, cranberry, and lime..
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. I may actually have to build a Bone Knight cleric just so I can raise dead to run soup kitchens. They can follow simple instructions right?

"When a person come to the cauldron with a bowl in their hand, use the ladle to get them soup." Too complicated?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noedig View Post
    "When a person come to the cauldron with a bowl in their hand, use the ladle to get them soup."
    You should probably preface that with "Don't eat their brains."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

For Eberron, as it functions under an extremely grey morality scale, you could remove the evil tag.
    I personally don't see why the spell is evil, as it only deals with dead bodies (a neutral imposition; if it were re-animating bodies that had been close to death or forcing its commands upon conscious will then it would be an evil spell; even enchantment spells aren't all "evil".
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

25. - Top - End - #25

Its good, you have to get the ingredients for the soup somewhere and if you run orphanages its made easy...
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe the Bard View Post
    You should probably preface that with "Don't eat their brains."
    Skeletons being mindless and such, they probably won't eat somebody's brains unless specifically told to

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Noedig View Post
    Ok so this class looks awesome for melee clerics, but I've got this problem. The class is literally steeped in Necromancy, which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. However, Animate Dead is a decidedly evil spell. So my question is:

Does Bone Knight eventually force you into evil?
    No, it doesn't. The class is designed for Eberron, which is not constrained by the "omg, undedz are teh evulz" thing. The class is explicitly designed for alignments ranging the full scale.

Indeed, you can totally be Lawful Good and go all Karrnathi paladin as a Bone Knight. The Karrns don't see necromancy as such a bad thing. Recruiting posters say something like "Serve your country! Twice!" and people are all for it. It's an honor to keep fighting for your country, even beyond death. Bonus points because their zombies/skeletons are intelligent. And now that the war is over, it seriously is not actually all that unexpected for an undead work force to engage in war relief, such as building orphanages and soup kitchens. And the Karrns are led by a vampire king who is the one guy advocating for lasting peace in Khorvaire.

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    Skeletons being mindless and such, they probably won't eat somebody's brains unless specifically told to
    A Bone Knight can also create intelligent undead whenever he feels like it. It's a class feature called "Fill the Ranks." They prefer patriotism to brains, though.
    Last edited by Godless_Paladin; 2010-10-15 at 06:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Dracons View Post
    The original owner isn't using the body any more - he's gone and he ain't coming back (and even if he is, resurrection works just fine on a skeleton, animated or otherwise). As far as the loved ones go, the body isn't their property, now is it? The skeleton is literally just a construct running off of negative energy instead of an elemental force. It's no more evil than making a clay golem run a soup kitchen, and MUCH more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Depending upon how the DM decides to interpret elemental spirits, potentially much less evil than the golem.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30

Undead are considered evil mostly thanks to "flower hat grannies" (a Finnish term, sort-of-means "old woman who complains about everything"). The same kind of people who think video games cause violence, that all teenagers are arrogant punks and that Dungeons and Dragons is the devil*.

*Geez, that still makes me laugh.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam