Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default 4e Opinions on the Thri-Kreen

I just got a copy of th 4e Dark Sun campaing setting and I immediatly went to see how did one of my favorite races fared in the edition shift.

While I play 4e I am not as versed on it as many other posters here, so can anybody who is well versed in 4e please tell me its opinion on it?

Now my own opinions, at a glance they seem extremely well suited to play my favorie classes (Ranger and Avengers) as their stat modifiers fit extremely well with the primary attribute of those classes. Also the multiatack power seems to mesh well with both classes DPR role.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 4e Opinions on the Thri-Kreen

they make very good strikers (especially rangers) firstly with thier multi-attack and also their free draw ability.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah,...I half wish I didn't have to start my university entrance course, because now I won't be able to play anymor...
    Just call me Dusk

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Yeah,...I half wish I didn't have to start my university entrance course, because now I won't be able to play anymor...
    i'm sure you'll find someone to play with. failing that there is always PbP

Spoiler
    Show
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is not that I don't have people to play 4e with, the problem is that we normally meet the same days at the same hour I have to take my course,

Either way the 5th post and already off-topic...that is a personal record-

Now to try to get this back on-topic.

What do you thing os the best class for a mantis man?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2010-10-14 at 06:54 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

well i was thinking of making a ranger with Thri-Kreen and taking the nomad theme on him as well. would probably work well for any character that swaps implements a lot too

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Artificer.

Then you can gross out your party by refluffing the various infusions and spell effects as bio-weapons that you squirt at bad guys (or at party members to heal them).
    Read my D&D Webcomic!
    Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
    www.familiar-ground.com

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Pretty much every edition had thri-kreen and ranger as a natural match up, in my mind. If you had the Expanded Psionics Handbook for 3.5 they tried to make psychic warriors out of kreen, but they'll always be rangers first and foremost.

Then again I may be biased, since thri kreen and rangers are two of my favorites.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cdrcjsn View Post
    Artificer.

Then you can gross out your party by refluffing the various infusions and spell effects as bio-weapons that you squirt at bad guys (or at party members to heal them).
    Sounds a lot like Mr. Jinx from Starslip (Crisis)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    While I play 4e I am not as versed on it as many other posters here, so can anybody who is well versed in 4e please tell me its opinion on it?
    In terms of crunch, I find they don't really feel like a big insect, but simply like yet another humanoid. This may be good or bad, depending on your POV.

Their racial attack power is great for fighters (since it marks), decent for melee strikers (since it doesn't do that much damage, but every bit helps) and mostly irrelevant for everybody else.

Their free action item swapping is good for anyone who likes implement juggling, particularly wizards; although this item is also easily obtained from an item or feat if your eally want it.

Their jumping ability is fun but not frequently relevant (and it's not hard in most cases to get a running start anyway).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Their racial attack power is great for fighters (since it marks), decent for melee strikers (since it doesn't do that much damage, but every bit helps) and mostly irrelevant for everybody else.
    On the plus side, it's a minor action so you can use it and still use your standard to dish out some hurt or what-have-you.

Twin Strike + thri-kreen racial + Off-hand Strike for multi-attack yumminess.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

They look so wrong without abdomens...
    Last edited by Mark Hall; 2010-10-16 at 11:40 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.