Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Paying the ultimate price [Feats 3.5]

I sort of like the idea of being able to spend XP for things other than item crafting. I think the idea is balanced but I'm not sure if the numbers themselves are balanced. These are mostly casting feats so far but I will be working on more.

Soul Magic
    You're willing to pay the ultimate price for your magic
    Pre Reqs: None
    Benefits: You may spend experience points to fuel a spell gaining a +1 Caster Level bonus for per 50 points spent spent

Improved Soul Magic
    Pre Reqs: Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend XP to fuel metamagic. You are drained of 250 experience points per level of metamagic.

Violent Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend 50 experience points to add an addition die of damage (not ability damage) to a spell, this damage may be in excess of Caster Level caps

Penetrating Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend 100 experience points to add +1 to the DC of any spell

Sacrifical Binding
    You give a little bit of your soul to the powers you're binding
    Pre Reqs: Ability to cast Lesser Planar Binding
    Benefits: You may spend 100 experience points to call 1 additional HD with a calling spell or to gain a +2 when negotiating with them.

Grease the Wheels of Fate
    Life seems to go your way, but it costs you
    Benefits: You may spend 20 experience points to add a +1 to any roll.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2010-10-15 at 08:21 AM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Paying the ultimate price [Feats 3.5]

This concept is fundamentally unsound and impossible to balance. I'd scrap this idea entirely.

Problems: EXP Novaing.

The feats get exponentially more powerful (by being exponentially easier to use) as you level up. 500 EXP for +10 CL is a half level burned at level 1, but nothing major at level 20.

Messing with calling spells: Seriously, don't raise the caps on them. They already rock.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    The feats get exponentially more powerful (by being exponentially easier to use) as you level up. 500 EXP for +10 CL is a half level burned at level 1, but nothing major at level 20.
    I see your point, Possibly a scaling system. Something like the item crafting rules.

For example

Benefits: You may spend 10 experience points per HD to add a +1 to any roll.

I think that swings too far the other way though, 200 for a +1 is too much even at 20. Adding that and a scaling bonus could work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Messing with calling spells: Seriously, don't raise the caps on them. They already rock.
    True enough.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2010-10-15 at 08:42 AM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

This is still incredibly, incredibly, incredibly hard to balance and I still say this shouldn't be done at all.

Also: 200 EXP at level 20 is the exact same proportion (1/100th a level) that 10 would be at level 1. Still not a good idea.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-10-15 at 10:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holy word, blasphemy, dictum, and word of chaos say hello.

Besides the obvious fact that you're empowering casters and not offering any concessions to the other side, I will further add this excerpt from the Book of Gears:

Quote Originally Posted by Book of Gears
    The problem with XP costs isn't just that they don't really cost anything "in the long run" (which they don't), the problem is that they are bad for the game. Like Age increases before them, an XP cost is essentially running up a credit card bill. You get whatever it is that you were buying with the XP cost now, and you pay later (by death from old age or not going up in level when you otherwise would). That's never balanced, because there's no guarantee that the character in question will still be being played when that credit card comes due.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe something like 5% of your total XP per boost of CL for Soul Magic. Even then, that's a sinkable cost.

Personally, I've always removed XP costs, so I wouldn't use these. An XP cost seems to be more of a "um, ow?" sort of thing, that seems like it should hurt, but doesn't, really. If your party levels up before you, and you take on encounters, sure, you're a level behind, but they aren't, and you gain more XP when they win. More XP to burn...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    The most unpleasant plane is the one filled with snakes and Samuel L. Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You kill people by teleporting their brain...into your hand. That's about as badass as it gets, and should come with a free +30 on all Intimidate checks made...ever.

No gods. No kings. Only PCs. Ceteris paribus.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jota View Post
    Holy word, blasphemy, dictum, and word of chaos say hello.
    There are easier ways to raise those but I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jota View Post
    Besides the obvious fact that you're empowering casters and not offering any concessions to the other side
    I'm working on some feats for meleers and such I'm just not sure what to give them just yet.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

It's fairly obvious, but an issue that jumped out at me was thought bottle abuse.

Granted, a simple "you can't have those" by the dm would fix that, but say a caster uses the thought bottle, gets in a series of fights and burns through xp like it's going out of style.

Party levels up, gets gold, caster restores xp to former level. he just got a ton of spell-boosts for free, and now has more money and higher-level friends.
    Last edited by DueceEsMachine; 2010-10-16 at 12:33 AM.
    What D&D Character would I be?
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful/Good Human Wizard/Sorcerer (2/2)
    Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18
    Hmmm.. Not too shabby. I think I'd do pretty well. Who knows?

9. - Top - End - #9

Okay, as much as I love this idea I think that Milskidasith was right as usual and this idea is doomed to failure.... I SHALL RETURN WITH NEW MECHANICS!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Good try, though. Looking forward to the revision.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Some caps would have helped some (IE no more that +50% CL, no more than double damage dice, no more that +5 DC)... but I can see this being "very difficult to balance".
    Version at the time of my saying this preserved below for posterity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    I sort of like the idea of being able to spend XP for things other than item crafting. I think the idea is balanced but I'm not sure if the numbers themselves are balanced. These are mostly casting feats so far but I will be working on more.

Soul Magic
    You're willing to pay the ultimate price for your magic
    Benefits: You may spend experience points to fuel a spell gaining a +1 Caster Level bonus for per 50 points spent spent

Improved Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend XP to fuel metamagic. You are drained of 250 experience points per level of metamagic.

Violent Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend 50 experience points to add an addition die of damage (not ability damage) to a spell, this damage may be in excess of Caster Level caps

Penetrating Soul Magic
    Benefits: You may spend 100 experience points to add +1 to the DC of any spell

Sacrifical Binding
    You give a little bit of your soul to the powers you're binding
    Pre Reqs: Ability to cast Lesser Planar Binding
    Benefits: You may spend 100 experience points to call 1 additional HD with a calling spell or to gain a +2 when negotiating with them.

Life seems to go your way, but it costs you
    Benefits: You may spend 20 experience points to add a +1 to any roll.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-10-17 at 10:23 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I think Negative Level might work better.

By accepting a Negative level after casting, you gain X bonus to Caster, DC, etc (whatever feat says).

You could make it 1d4 or just a set number.

Make sure the feats requires you to gain the negative level to gain the benefit (no Death Ward to ignore it if want benefit).

Negative levels are a way to using life force. You can make them like Enervation or Energy drain (permanent at end of day or not).

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I think Negative Level might work better.
    I'm re-working it with negative levels, ability burn, and penalties to checks and saves. Depending on the size of the bonus.

Edit: Possibly unhealable damage too.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2010-10-17 at 01:41 PM.