New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] The Undercover Detective (PrC) [PEACH]

This is a PrC I designed for a character I'm playing in a solo campaign. It's designed to be balanced against Tier 2/3, so it's a little powerful for a mundane class. However, I believe it's comparable to the Factotum in power-level (and, in fact, the character I'm taking into it has a level of factotum). I designed it to be able to keep up and do its job in a world where spellcasters can normally make much of what it does obsolete. Additionally, many of his class features have only out-of-combat utility and therefore vary in worth by the DM's playstile. All that to say that I know it's powerful, but hopefully it's not too powerful. It's a combination of the Spymaster (CAdv) and Watch Detective (MotW) PrCs, both mechanically and fluff-wise. I feel like the concept is one that never got done correctly in 3.5, so this will hopefully fill the gap. I've included design notes and class features of my own creation in RED.

Note** My DnD group uses an alternative skill system inspired by 4th Edition. This is reflected in the PrC. Conversion of the system should be easy enough. The skill system is as follows, for the curious:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skills
    The skill list consists of Acrobatics (Dex; Balance, Escape Artist, Tumble, and Use Rope), Athletics (Str; Climb, Jump, Ride, Swim), Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy (Cha; Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate), Heal, Perception (Wis; Listen, Search, Spot, Sense Motive), Perform, Profession, Speak Language, Stealth (Dex; Hide, Move Silently), Thievery (Disable Device, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand), Trickery (Cha; Bluff, Disguise, Forgery), and Use Magic Device. Additionally, all knowledges are present and left unchanged, save that Knowledge (arcana) has subsumed the skill Spellcraft and Knowledge (nature) has subsumed Survival.
    Any skill mentioned above that is not followed with parentheses is left unchanged from its 3.5 counterpart. If any skill that has been subsumed by a new skill appears on your class’s list of class skills, the new skill becomes part of your class’s class skill list, regardless of whether any of the other 3.5 skills that comprise the new skill are on your class skill list. For example, a Fighter in Panthea has Diplomacy as a class skill because Handle Animal and Intimidate are both class skills for him, despite the fact that Diplomacy and Gather Information are not part of the 3.5 Fighter skill list.
    Any prestige class or feat that requires a number of ranks in any skill that has been subsumed by a new skill now requires an equal number of ranks in the skill that subsumed it. For example, the Shadow Dancer Prestige Class skill requirements consist only of 4 ranks in Trickery and 8 ranks in Stealth. Skill synergies no longer exist. Any skill that is not subsumed by a new skill from the House Rule list no longer exists. If it is on your class skill list, you are SOL. If it is important to a feat, prestige class, or other concept you would like to pursue, bring your concerns up to the DM.

Size Modifiers
    Size modifiers for 3.75 are different than in 3.5 for skills. Small characters receive a +2 to Stealth checks and a -3 to Athletics checks. Large sized characters receive a +2 to Athletics checks and a -2 to Stealth checks.

The Undercover Detective

Some police lurk in the shadows. From their place in the underbelly of society, they find a way to bring truth and justice to light. Others are just masters of disguise, spies working for the highest bidder. Whatever the reason, The Undercover Detective is a force to be reckon with, adept at disguise and uncovering intrigue.

Race: Humans find the adaptability of the Undercover Detective attractive and are very common. Changelings, too, are natural spies and are common among Undercover Detectives. However, any member of any race could join.

Alignment: Any. Flexible morals can be helpful to the Undercover Detective, but many are defenders of goodness and justice.

Prerequisites
    Skills: Diplomacy 4 ranks, Perception 4 ranks, Trickery 8 ranks Direct conversion of Spymaster requirements, they seem fair to me. I considered adding a few ranks of Preform (acting). For a normal skill set, use Gather Information 4 ranks, Bluff 8 ranks, Spot 4 ranks, and Disguise 8 ranks.
    Feat: Urban Tracking Not the most optimized feat, but I think it works well for the PrC and I’d take it to get into the PrC. If you have a better suggestion, let me know! The Watch Detective required regular Track (Oh, 3.0…) and the Spymaster required Skill Focus (Disguise), which is just overkill.

Hit Die: d6. An Undercover Detective is best at taking his enemies by surprise and doesn't lend himself to fair, stand-up fights.

Skills: 6 + Int modifier (X4 at first level)

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Perception, Perform, Speak Language, Stealth, Thievery, Trickery, and Use Magic Device. Knowledge (Arcana) and Use Magic Device might seem like odd choices, but any detective or spy working in a typical D&D setting would be very remiss not to do his best to know everything he could about magic or how to use the myriad of magical items which would truly be necessary for him to do his job at high levels. For a normal skill set, use Balance, Escape Artist, Use Rope, Climb, Jump, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge Arcana, Spellcraft, Knowledge Geography, Knowledge History, Knowledge Local, Knowledge Nobility and Royalty, Spot, Speak Language, Hide, Move Silently, Disable Device, Open Lock, Bluff, Disguise, and UMD. Consider bumping it to 8+Int skills, as it has to keep a lot maxed to be effective.

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: The Undercover Detective gains no armor or weapon proficiencies.

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Abilities

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    | Quick Change, Clever Mind, Forensics, Keen Eyes 1/day

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Master of Disguise, No Subdual Penalty, +1d6 Sneak Attack

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Magic Aura, Scrying Defense, Keen Eyes 2/Day

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    | Slippery Mind, Deductive Augury 1/Day, +1d6 Sneak Attack

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Dispel Scrying, Diversion Tactics

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Locate Object, Keen Eyes 3/Day, +1d6 Sneak Attack

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Discern Lies, Deductive Augury 2/Day

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Deep Cover, +1d6 Sneak Attack

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Locate Creature, The Corpse's Tale, Keen Eyes 4/Day

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Unassailable Mind, Deductive Augury 3/Day, +1d6 Sneak Attack
    [/table]

Quick Change (Ex): Become adept at quickly switching from one identity to another. Don a disguise in one-tenth the normal time (1d3 minutes) and don or remove armor in one-half the normal time.

Clever Mind (Ex): The Undercover Detective spends much time honing his mental agility to overcome any problem or puzzle he’s presented which lends to his ability to resist mental attacks from foreign assailants. The character uses his Intelligence Modifier instead of his Wisdom Modifier on Will Saves. Rather replaces Undetectable Alignment and compensates for Poor Will. Most character for this class would have a High Int and a Low Wis (due to a likely need to have a decent Str or Dex, Cha, and some Con)

Forensics (Ex): With a successful Perception check (DC 20), can discern the cause of death of any corpse he examines. Given time, he may take 20 on this roll. Success indicates that he knows what killed the person, the size, and approximate strength of any attacker responsible, and one additional detail for every 5 points the check exceeds the DC. “Approximate Strength” should not be taken to be related to Strength score in anyway, since DnD has such a myriad of ways to kill someone where your physical strength does not ever come into play. Also, I'm not sure about "Taking 20", though that's how the original ability was. Perhaps just give the opportunity to retry after one day (“Let’s go back to the crime scene, maybe I missed something!”) for FLAVA. Also, this should be an Extraordinary, not a Supernatural ability. That’s weird. Moved from 8th level to 1st. Way too weak at ECL 13 when 6th level spells are at play. Not at all overpowering at ECL 6 and makes it a central point of the PrC. Use Spot for normal skill set.

Keen Eyes (Ex): At first level, the Undercover Detective is able to re-roll one Perception check he makes per day before the DM determines the result of the roll. He gains an additional use of this ability every three levels there after (3rd, 6th, 9th). He must keep the result of the second roll, even if it’s worse than the first. Use spot for normal skill set.

Master of Disguise (Ex): The Undercover Detective has undergone extensive training in remaining undetected no matter what social circles he is in. He adds ½ Class levels to Trickery and Diplomacy checks. Replaces Cover Identity’s (Spymaster) skill bonus so that it’s scaling and more useful. Use Bluff and Disguise under normal skill set.

No Subdual Penalty (Ex): No longer take -4 to attack rolls to deal subdual damage with a normally lethal weapon.

Sneak Attack: As rogue class feature. This is where the PrC might be too powerful. However, SA is situationally useful and is really the PrC's only useful combat ability (besides, arguably, the No Subdual Penalty). If you find the power of the PrC overwhelming, move SA to 1/3 levels.

Magic Aura (Sp): Cast Nystul's Magic Aura at will. Caster level equals class level.

Scrying Defense (Ex): Add class level in PrC to Will saves against divination (scrying) spells as well as to Perception checks made to notice the sensors created by such spells, as well as to saves versus the Detect Thoughts power or spell.

Slippery Mind (Ex): ): If the character fails a save against an enchantment spell or effect, he gets to roll another Will save the next round (against the same DC) to break free. If this second attempt fails, he does not get another opportunity to save from the Slippery Mind class feature against that instance of the effect.

Deductive Augury (Sp): Use Augury as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to the character’s class level, except the character must make an assertion he does not know to be true and the augury provides the result of True or False (as appropriate) or Nothing if the Augury fails. The DM can determine the character does not have enough information for an educated guess, in which case the Augury fails but does not count against the daily uses. Can be used 2/day at 7th level, and 3/Day at 10th level.

Dispel Scrying (Su): Dispel scrying sensors as if using a targeted greater dispel magic. Caster Level equals Class Level + 10. Can be used 3+INT MOD times per day.

Diversion Tactics (Ex): An Undercover Detective is adept at slipping into crowds and disappearing seamlessly. He is able to use the Trickery skill to create a diversion (see the use of the Bluff skill) as a swift action rather than as a standard action. In addition, The Undercover Detective adds his INT MOD as a bonus to any Stealth checks he makes in a round he uses his Trickery skill to create a diversion. Kinda like hide in plain sight (but not quite as powerful) and fits the flavor of the class super well. Think Batman disappearing in The Dark Knight. Use Bluff and Hide for a normal skill set.

Locate Object (Sp): Use Locate Object as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to the character’s class level. Usable Int Mod/day.

Discern Lies (Sp): Use discern lies as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to class level. Usable Int Mod/day.

Deep Cover (Ex): While operating under a disguise, divination spells (and telepathic powers) detect only information appropriate to his identity; they reveal nothing relating to his true persona.

Locate Creature (Sp): Use Locate Object as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to the character’s class level. Usable Int Mod/Day.

The Corpse's Tale (Su): At 9th-Level, an Undercover Detective becomes supernaturally adept at putting together the details of a crime-scene into a coherent series of events. This ability works just like the spell Speak with Dead, except the Undercover Detective does not actually grant a corpse any semblance of unlife, instead receiving his answers from details of the corpse and the scene around it. The Undercover Detective must still ask the questions aloud in order to receive an answer. This ability is usable once per day and his caster level is equal to his class level. Gil Grisham anyone? Could be used INT MOD/DAY (after all, how many times a day can a Level 14 Cleric cast Speak with Dead?), but that seemed overkill. I also couldn’t decide if this should be a Sp, Su, or Ex ability.

Unassailable Mind (Su): At 10th Level, the Undercover Detective has perfected his mental defenses. He gains Spell Resistance 25+INT MOD versus spells from the Divination, Enchantment, and Illusion schools. I based this ability off of the Bloodhound’s “Shielded Mind” ability. His ability is SR 15+Class level v. Divination spells (which would be 25 at ECL 14) and he first gains it at ECL 10. I needed a good capstone for the class, and protection against enchantment and seeing through illusions make so much sense with the class. I don’t know that it’s necessary to add the SR v. Divination (with his Deep Cover ability), thoughts? Another capstone I was considering was a True Seeing ability, but at that point, you’re really losing the “Master of Undercover” feel in the last few levels (coincidentally, Spymaster is only a 7-level PrC….). Suggestions for alternate capstones would be welcomed. Considering he’d be ECL 15 by this point, I do not feel it’d be too powerful (and a straight SR25 would be fail because enemy casters of equal level would still beat it 50% of the time, and everyone knows enemy spellcasters are often of higher levels…)

Variant
    Other abilities I was toying with but did not include was a Bardic Knowledge(-like) ability and an Improvised Weapon progression (sort of like the Drunken Master PrC). Both of which would be fun and flavorful in the class (Particularly the latter, I’m thinking Michael Weston), but would have been too much. Actually, taking away Deductive Augury to replace with Improvised Weapon (Something like the Undercover Detective can use any object (w/in reason) as a weapon that does 1d6+1d4 damage x2), Greater Improvised Weapon (Does 2d6 damage, some objects grant reach or +2 to disarms or trips), and Superior Improvised Weapon (Does 2d8 damage, or something like that) wouldn’t be a bad idea at all. Consider using those in place of SA damage.
    Last edited by goken04; 2010-10-24 at 04:51 PM.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] The Undercover Detective (PrC) [PEACH]

No one has any comments? I would really like some critique!

IC|OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The more heavily houseruled something is before you go making stuff for it, the less likely you'll get responses.

This is strictly better than a Spymaster in almost every way, though the fact that it's not immune to divination does bring it back down a little. I didn't think the original class was underpowered save for "DM drift" where a DM uses some out of game knowledge without thinking.

The speak with dead thing should probably only allow communication on the topic of their death and recent circumstances and realistically should be doable once per corpse.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I didn't think the original class was underpowered save for "DM drift" where a DM uses some out of game knowledge without thinking.

The speak with dead thing should probably only allow communication on the topic of their death and recent circumstances and realistically should be doable once per corpse.
    I completely disagree about the Spymaster not being underpowered. Aside from her measly two dice of sneak attack, she gets no usefulness in battle and her out-of-combat abilities are very situationally useful. Additionally, her Cover Identity ability is something any DM worth his salt will let you accomplish through role-playing, making the class feature rather rendundant. Perhaps you're thinking of the Song and Silence version, which is the one that gets immunity to divination spells.

Speak with Dead is only usable on a corpse once a week, as is. Don't know that it needs to be adjusted further than that, since one's unlikely to keep a corpse around for more than one in-game week, but I'll consider making that adjustment.
    Last edited by goken04; 2010-10-25 at 09:29 PM.

IC|OOC