A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Grand Dream, the Rod of Seven Parts - Cleanser [IC]

Amanda's inn is a small, cozy and beautiful place. Merchants and nobles of all races stay there. Standing behind a counter, a middle-aged human woman, just a tad overweight, wearing a simple yet elegant dress, stood ever watchful. When the crew goes through the door, she can't help but smile.
    "You're back! And you brought Hildar with you!"
    Tears gather in Amanda's eyes and she seems deeply moved.
    Sense Motive, CD 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    She is actually an ogre mage in disguise.
    Just kidding, no she isn't. She is just a human widow 3/innkeeper 1.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Grand Dream, the Rod of Seven Parts - Cleanser [IC]

For reference:

Treasure splitting: The Captain gets first pick of 13.5%, Holtz gets second pick of 12.5%, you all get 11% each, and the balance (30%) goes to ship improvements, bribes, down payments on shipment, plus building a trust fund in an Alsacian bank so we can get a loan for a ship should something happen to this one. What do you think?

Artificing: Holtz will charge 55% of the base cost to the ship and Shelaine and 65% of the base market price to the rest of the crew. Everyone gets a 4gp discount per xp they bring to the process
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shelaine smiled. She was moved - moved enough, at least, to forebear complaining about their treatment at the hands of the half-elves. Before they would talk business, she took a step to the side to let Hildar have a moment with his old friend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the kindness, Thorgrim, but I think we talked about co-captaining, so I'd be fine with both of us getting 13%, if that works all right for you. Otherwise, I'm of course fine with the split as descirbed. And thanks for the discount!

Sense motive: (1d20+6)[13]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

He was revisiting an old battlefield, we had to pick him up. Tell you what Mrs Amanda, we're hungry and thirsty, so we'll eat while you and Hildar get reacquainted, do you still have some of that beer we had last time?

Catching on the captain's intent, Holtz motions the crew to a table.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hildar's eyes dance at the sight of his old friend. Words race through his head—first the innocent questions, then the deeper ones, followed by the hidden things he had longed to say to her since first they met. He opens his mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. As tears well up in the corners of his eyes, he feels his skin begin to tingle as claws poke at the tips of his fingers. Not now, damn it, he scolds himself. Keep it together, Hildar. He fights back the urge to change form, the desire to flee into the night and hide in the shadows, the compulsion to just dart right back to that damned swamp and roar the night away. It is only now that he realizes he still hasn’t spoken.

”Amanda…” is all he can muster.

As he looks at the woman for the first time in years, soaking in every half-remembered detail, the half-elf realizes that something doesn’t mesh. There’s no old man with a Van Dyke beard sitting by the fire pulling on a mug of grog and reliving old war stories. No scent of aged leather and armor polish in the air. No new hunting trophies mounted and hung with pride above the bar. No attempt by Amanda to hide her emotions at Hildar’s return.

”…Eric?” Hildar manages to add, fearing the worst. Though the old bastard was competition for Amanda’s affections, he was also more than that—the fellow soldier was the closest thing to family that Hildar had left.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-04-22 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

6. - Top - End - #6

Eli walks over to the table, watching Hildar and Amanda. Looks like we're going to have a bit of emotional overflow here. Joy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As the group gathers without Hildar, Shelaine gestures for a server. She leans in to confer with her colleagues.

"So, ever since we lost Han to those giant vultures a month back, we been down one in the crew complement. I've been watching this Hildar on the trip here. Anybody who can learn to control the impulses of a werecat, and survive for weeks in a swamp-infested swamp, has got some moxie.

"This guy's hated by everybody within a hundred miles of his home. He's got nothing to go back to. I figure we offer to bring him on, standard rate, one month probation. See what he says. What do you all think?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Amanda holds Hildar fondly in her arms. "Eric is gone.", she whispers. "Lost to the White Tundra. He... he left something for you."
    The woman can barely talk. She is overwhelmed with emotion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sounds fine to me.

10. - Top - End - #10

Gone. Gone. Gone. The word echoes in Hildar's ears, and he almost doesn't hear anything after that. It was hard to imagine that the man who had taught him how to fence, how to hunt, how to woo women, and inspired him to first protect those too weak, afraid, or dense to protect themselves was just...not here anymore.

As Amanda mentions that Eric left something, Hildar merely nods. He can't bring himself to speak; what could he even say that would be of any use? Sometimes, the best answer was a silent one.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-04-25 at 09:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Amanda and Hildar spend a few minutes reminiscing. The innkeeper then aproaches Shelaine and gives her a small bag with money.
    "350 platinum pieces, as we agreed. As a bonus, I can only give you this."
    She puts forth a small round silver shield, with a blueish shine to it. "It was my husband's and I think you would all make a better use of it than I. Thank you a lot."
    She fondly caresses Hildar's arm as she hands him a package with her other hand. "This seemed... important. I don't really know why."
    Hildar receives a cylindrical metal bar wrapped in white linen. It's composed of a lusterless black metal with weird geometric facets in both ends, riddled with protrusions and depressions. It feels heavy at first, then light the second afterwards. It's defininetely similar to the wand he found in the swamp.
    Eli hears the devilish familiar voice echoing in his head when he sees the present Amanda is giving Hildar. "THAT!", instead of whispers, now he hears a real shout. "That is all I need! All we need! Release me, youngling! RELEASE ME!"
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-04-26 at 07:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Very nice, platinum has a comforting weight to it wouldn't you agree?

Asks Holtz to no one in particular as he makes a mental list of things to buy. Something, perhaps Eli's reaction, perhaps the peculiar weight the air took as the item was unveiled, attracted his attention.

What's that? Looks shiny

knowledge arcana (1d20+12)[28]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

The unveiled item doesn't ring any bells on Holtz. (thorgrim, make a Knowledge (the planes) check as well)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Knowledge the planes: (1d20+8)[20]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

While the item itself is not at all familiar to the artificer, he notices the weird geometrical facets are all regular, something almost impossible for a mortal to achieve due to the time required. It looks like something a being of order would craft or how an item of order would behave to ward off a force of chaos.
    The lustless black metal, though, doesn't look like it came from the planes of Law at all.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-04-26 at 11:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shelaine receives the bag of platinum and the shield with a smile.

"Amanda, you're as gracious as you are lovely. Let us know if you ever need something at hand. And also -"

Shelaine leans in close to murmur.

"We haven't taken many jobs in this area yet, but it would be great to get more established. If you hear of anyone looking for reliable and discreet transport, we're docked just outside the walls. As a matter of fact, I thought I'd give the crew a night away from the ship...and would book rooms here, if you've got space. I've got the coin."

Shelaine hefts the bag of platinum for a moment, then carefully tucks it away for distribution later, in private.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise on the shield: (1d20+9)[28].

17. - Top - End - #17

Why should I?

Eli looks over at Holtz, while he examines the item. "What is that thing? Something to do with demons?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The distraced artificer takes a very academic tone.

Quite the contrary, much too precise to have anything to do with primordial chaos.... Or to come from the material plane, I'd have to examine it to be sure, but it's an odd thing, the form brings to mind an object I once saw from Mechanus, the Order plane, but the material is wrong... It requires research, if Hildar lets me. I'll worry about it tomorrow, tonight is party night.

Why did you think of demons?

19. - Top - End - #19

"Eh...I'll tell you later. Not out here."

20. - Top - End - #20

Hildar takes the odd item, and a faint flicker of recognition sparks on his face. Reaching into his pack, he pulls out a wand of similar construction. "Found it back among the shadows," he says to nobody in particular, still reeling from the shock of Eric's passing.

Holtz's words shake him back to the matters at hand. "You can research it, but I'd prefer to be present. Nothing personal."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I understand perfectly, but as I said, tomorrow afternoon, tonight the crew of the Brass Ring makes merry.

To Amanda:

It has been a pleasure working with you Amanda, as Shelaine said should you need anything delivered or fetched in the future contact us. While we're in town I can also offer my services as a skilled artificer and alchemist if you need anything done for the tavern or for yourself. We can discuss this in the morning, for now I will leave you and Hildar

He catches the attention of a serving girl

Hello there, would you know of a tavern more suited to drunken revelry then here? I understand the owner is greiving and I don't want to disrespect that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

A young and skinny barmaid winks at Holtz. "Sure do, sir! Just across the plaza, you will find Wolfcrest's Tavern. It's as good a place as any, I hear! Haha!" She stares at him awkwardly for a few seconds then rushes back to her job. Amanda smiles at the crew. "Once again, thank you. Thank you all of you."

Shelaine notices the shield is very, very well done. She thinks it's worth 549 gold pieces.

The voice inside Eli's head whispers "Fool. Just grab it and it'll all be over."

Amanda touches Hildar's arm fondly. "My good friend, would you join me for a glass of wine and more memories?"
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-04-30 at 11:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hildar nods, hardly able to choke out his words. "Of course," he manages to whisper with a smile. "Of course."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shelaine actually managed to relax a bit over the evening, especially after the third glass of wine. She noticed that Eli seemed a bit more withdrawn than usual, but had no idea why. So instead she focused on trying to get Tuco to tell the joke about the ogre and the doorknob again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Over drinks and memories, the night swims by fast both at Wolfcrest's and Amanda's. Jack attracts the attention of a few girls, most people remain somewhat interested but even more scared about Eli, Tuco wins a few drinking contests, Shelaine is approached by a few young elves seeking her 'blessing', Holtz remembers a bit of Shelaine's previous self in more than a few ladies around. Amanda and Hildar talk about the past, about the departed Eric... but never about the future. The lady just dodges every possible question about it. "I'm very tired, my friend", she says, tipsy from the wine. "I'll go to bed now. I'll talk to you later." With a kiss on Hildar's cheek, she leaves.

When the night seems like it's already over, an elf with white hair wearing dark round glasses and a spider-silk cloak aproaches the table. "Gentlemen", he says in a whisper. "I believe you have something that belongs to me."
    Sense Motive, CD 32
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something is not right about this guy. He is lying.

Knowledge (history), CD 30
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spider-silk was a material used in Visper millenia ago. It's strong and durable and there is no record of why it's not used anymore.

Knowledge (local), CD 25
    Spoiler
    Show
    The drow are a subrace of elves. They parted during the Old War, millenia ago. The elves disagreed on the stance they should take regarding the younger races. Some wanted to side with the dragons and live along with them, some wanted to be as far away form them as possible and some wanted to conquer them. The war torn the elf race apart, with the faction that wanted to conquer the younger races banished underground, defeated with the help of the dwarves. The dwarves then kept them locked underground with extreme effort during the years. They are the drow. The faction that wanted to flee did just that - they left to Ravencastle, a demiplane ruled by Wee Jas. Those are the shadar-kai.
    Not one drow was seen in Rubia's surface since then.

Spot, CD 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something is wrong. He is not an elf.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sense motive: (1d20)[14]
    Knowledge history: (1d20+5)[10]
    Knowledge local: (1d20+3)[9]
    Spot: (1d20)[4]

Despite not being able to put his finger on it, Holtz is seasoned enough to know being approached by weird people at the dead of night is usually bad news. He decides to appear more drunken then he actually is.

S' hat your beer then? Must be, don't remember payin' for it, 'll replace what I drunk

He hands the stranger his drink after topping it off with the Coors Light-like "beer" produced by his everfull mug.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2011-05-06 at 04:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Hildar present, or is this happening at Wolfcrest's? If it is, can Hildar be present, having left Amanda's as she went to bed?

Hildar parts ways with Amanda for the night, though he is loathe to do so. While he wishes to spend every moment with her, he must allow her time alone. Time to grieve, time to find who she is, time to control her own beasts. He makes his way to Wolfcrest's, shambling in and sitting down with his crew. His crew--what an odd sentiment. He hadn't been a part of a unit for years now. It was odd and awkward, but it was secretly refreshing as well.

As the elf approaches the table and whispers his request, Hildar arches an eyebrow. "Is that so, friend?" he whispers back. "We've not acquired much but alcohol since landing." He casts a sideways look at Holtz, then adds, "Some more than others. Pray tell, what is it that we have?"

Sense Motive - (1d20+14)[34] boosted with Fate Mantle power for the day.
    Spot - (1d20+8)[16]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2011-05-06 at 04:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is Hildar present, or is this happening at Wolfcrest's? If it is, can Hildar be present, having left Amanda's as she went to bed?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I left that as a hook for you.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-05-06 at 04:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Seeing the elf, Eli tenses up a little, his mind racing. Right, not a drow...involved with the Skullfires?...don't give anything away. He then makes himself relax superficially, although he doesn't speak, and just watches the elf. Good thing he hasn't been drinking much.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

"It's a lusterless black wand. You seem to have found it. I'm willing to pay dearly for it.", he says, carefully gauging the crew's reaction.