New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

So, some questions...
    How does the magic protecting Northwind City work? Does it just keep the temperature stable, or actively warm the inhabitants? What type of magic is it (e.g., abjuration, evocation, universal, unknown)? How is the field maintained? Is it made of several individual fields? Is it one large one? If it is made of multiple magical fields, are they self-generating? Would it be possible to actually shut down the magical field, permanently or temporarily? Have any successes been achieved in replicating the effects, even on a small scale? What are the actual game statistics of frozensteel and blueice? How much are they worth? What are practical in-game applications of them? What is below Northwind? (There's always something beneath the city. I can accept just some Yuan-ti remains, but hopefully there's something bigger... like Marit Lage...) What is the source of the Northwind (And I will assume that it is not the edge. For the edge doesn't have any air to speak of...)? Where do the Trepeks actually get the information -from-? Is information trading a common practice in Northwind? Also, I will not accept that there is absolutely -no- native life in Northwind. What kinds of organisms developed over time there? Burrowing animals could hypothetically live there, especially small ones, which could perhaps live on the ambient magical energy, or convert cold into some kind of energy, possibly with practical applications. Take, for example, a small burrowing (possibly six-legged, for the unique factor) mammal that lives beneath the ice. It survives by maintaining a small magical field inside of it; en element substitution effect that converts cold into energy, some of which is used to heat the animal, some of which is used to continue and enhance the power of the magical field, and some of which sustains the animal. These would have practical applications; a skilled mage could transplant this magical field, although modified somewhat and enhanced in scope, into a large enough field to sustain an igloo, coat, or city against the cold for some time before the magic faded. The reasons the above animal wouldn't overpopulate the place is that the magical field has to expand for a certain distance before the being can produce a child. And when they are adults, they have the threat of being eaten by larger ice-dwelling Marit Lage (or Ubbo-Sathla, if you prefer a different mythos)-like monsters who would use their magical field to sustain their own, possibly complimented with a diet of blue ice. The two interacting might actually be able to maintain a large creature like that's life, at least for a time. Possibly these large, inhuman entities just lie dormant until such a magical field arises that they can sustain themselves and escape the icy prison that they inadvertantly encased themselves in during their slumber. But seriously, there can't be no indigenous life, can there? At the very least, skeletons and some other undead could wind up wandering the wastes, if they were immune to cold. Also, with regards to the Frozen throne... are there any liches in the city, per chance? With a crown as a phylactery?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    So, some questions...
    That's what I've been missing, DM and his absurd numbers of questions.

How does the magic protecting Northwind City work?
    It reroutes the wind around the city, maintains a stable airflow inside the city, and keeps the temperature around 65-70 degrees F.

Does it just keep the temperature stable, or actively warm the inhabitants?
    See above.

What type of magic is it (e.g., abjuration, evocation, universal, unknown)?
    Unknown.

How is the field maintained?
    Also unknown. It is of draconic origin, and the Keeper isn't talking.

Is it made of several individual fields? Is it one large one?
    One.

If it is made of multiple magical fields, are they self-generating?
    It's only one field, but it is self-generated, yes.

Would it be possible to actually shut down the magical field, permanently or temporarily?
    Remove the power source, and the shield collapses. Given that no one is actually aware of what the power source even IS (it's been theorized to be the Keeper himself), that might be tough.

Have any successes been achieved in replicating the effects, even on a small scale?
    No.

What are the actual game statistics of frozensteel and blueice?
    Undetermined, but complex and dangerous. Blueice is actually a very good building material, but is hazardous to make use of, due to the cold (2d6 or 3d6 a round for proximity, more for contact; unlike the wind proper, it can be ignored through cold immunity or high resistance). Freezesteel is less cold than blueice, meaning light resistance makes it useable. It deals cold damage on a hit, provides a measure of cold resistance, and serves to combat the oppressive heat of Xortal's weather.

How much are they worth?
    Blueice is worth about as much as gravel, on the basis of being almost entirely unusable. Freezesteel is worth several times its weight in gold.

What are practical in-game applications of them?
    See above for some thoughts on that.

What is below Northwind? (There's always something beneath the city. I can accept just some Yuan-ti remains, but hopefully there's something bigger... like Marit Lage...)
    There are some Serpentes ruins from the ancient times around the Catastrophe, but more relevantly, there are the remains of a hidden underground qualnargan outpost. This outpost remains sealed against all intruders, and even the dragons are unaware of its presence. Whether or not the inhabitants remain alive is another matter entirely. It's been over 150 years since it sealed (it locked itself shortly before the Shadowstar Wars).

What is the source of the Northwind (And I will assume that it is not the edge. For the edge doesn't have any air to speak of...)?
    Tharkrixghantix, actually. It's a mechanism designed and put in place by the dragons to dissuade people from coming to Northwind (the continent) except when they had to.

Where do the Trepeks actually get the information -from-?
    So, ok, in Mass Effect 1, there's this dude called the Shadowbroker. He's all "plays everyone against themselves, using them as both info gatherers and clients". Same idea here.

Is information trading a common practice in Northwind?
    Yes.

Also, I will not accept that there is absolutely -no- native life in Northwind.
    Tough (see below a few questions for a serious answer).

Take, for example, a small burrowing (possibly six-legged, for the unique factor) mammal that lives beneath the ice. It survives by maintaining a small magical field inside of it; en element substitution effect that converts cold into energy, some of which is used to heat the animal, some of which is used to continue and enhance the power of the magical field, and some of which sustains the animal. These would have practical applications; a skilled mage could transplant this magical field, although modified somewhat and enhanced in scope, into a large enough field to sustain an igloo, coat, or city against the cold for some time before the magic faded. The reasons the above animal wouldn't overpopulate the place is that the magical field has to expand for a certain distance before the being can produce a child. And when they are adults, they have the threat of being eaten by larger ice-dwelling Marit Lage (or Ubbo-Sathla, if you prefer a different mythos)-like monsters who would use their magical field to sustain their own, possibly complimented with a diet of blue ice. The two interacting might actually be able to maintain a large creature like that's life, at least for a time. Possibly these large, inhuman entities just lie dormant until such a magical field arises that they can sustain themselves and escape the icy prison that they inadvertantly encased themselves in during their slumber.
    This is very... detailed, actually. I would steal it... but see below.

But seriously, there can't be no indigenous life, can there? At the very least, skeletons and some other undead could wind up wandering the wastes, if they were immune to cold.
    Yes, actually, there can be. The reason is fairly complicated, and relies me telling you something about shadow magic, which I had intended to keep under wraps for awhile, but now's as good a time as any, so here we go!

Ok, so, if you remember your history (likely not), you'll recall that waaaaaaaay back in some crazy year OM (the dating system, remember? Check post #1 ) a passing extra-galactic entity discovered shadow magic in its purest form in the core of the planet, and broke the planet in two, forming its moon. Later, when the Catastrophe occurred, that shadow magic, which had been separated for almost a million years, was reunited. Finally, the planar connections, which had always been somewhat tenuous, snapped.

Later in that first post, I mentioned that of the two planar connections in Z-R, one was the Spirit Wind (which we've discussed quite a lot), and the other was the Plane of Shadow, connected to Z-R through the core of the planet? Here's how this all plays together (and what I'm about to tell you is basically unknown in-game, save to a few dragons):

The connection to the Plane of Shadow is actually a conduit, one-way, to the plane. However, it's not from us to them, but from there to here. Shadow energy is leaking into Zaaman-Rul. The dragons of Tharkrixghantix have a containment rig set up around the planar rip (which is centered on the dividing line between the Edge and the face of the planet, at magnetic north, which is in Tharkrixghantix). In addition to that, the qualnargan (as will be discussed under "The Edge") are clustered around the rip as well, being compelled to come to it. The dragons are so distant because they have to contain a planar disaster from getting worse (and it's already pretty bad; we're coming to that) and to fight the qualnargan on a daily basis.

Their containment set-up is imperfect, and can't store all of the energy safely, so what the dragons do is bleed it somewhat. Most of the energy is bled into outer space via a complex set of magical satellites. What little overflow exists is shunted into the mechanism that generates Northwind's namesake. The wind blowing across Northwind is tinged with a little shadow energy, enough to kill anything that exists in it for too long, for shadow magic is anathema to life (this is a Z-R specific thing, just roll with it; negative energy isn't evil, shadow energy is; this will be addressed in my next thread about Z-R, for one *is* coming, I predict another month before it is ready to rock and rumble). The dragons built Northwind (the city) and shielded it with a variant of their collection rig for the purpose of filtering the world's information. The idea is to alert them if anyone has figured out the secret behind it all (or come close enough to pose a danger).

The one thing Tharkrixghantix didn't anticipate though is the existence of the Speakers for the Ancient Winters. Their existence shows that it IS possible to survive the shadow magic on the wind. The dragons haven't yet figured out how that's possible, but they're working on it feverishly. It's believed that such is a similar puzzle as the qualnargan's existence, which biologically can't exist, yet do. The truth of the qualnargan will be discussed at a later date, as they're complex as well (what the hell isn't, right?).

So, in a "tl;dr" answer: because the wind killed everything that once lived there. It's so pervasive that the very ground itself is permeated with trace amounts of it, enough to kill anything over long enough periods of exposure (such as burrowing creatures, or even microbes). Uniquely, blueice and freezesteel seem to lose this latent energy when removed from the area of the winds, implying some kind of bleeding of the energy.

Also, with regards to the Frozen throne... are there any liches in the city, per chance? With a crown as a phylactery?
    No. It's both a play on the Warcraft location (before WoW killed Warcraft forever ) and a joke about their physical location and the goal of the Intolian Underground (ostensibly, to wrest the crown from Intolar and give it to the people).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #363

While I understand that most creatures would be killed, I do have an idea which might work. I will put monsters in Northwind, dammit!

Ok, so the shadow magic within the Northwind probably will kill most creatures. However, what about the creatures that metabolize magic? Take, for instance, the Beholder. It can sustain itself on literally anything, even just dirt. This is because of a metabolism bolstered by magic. Think about it. It converts the energy into a magical field that it floats on, and dangerous magical effects that kill with ease. So, what happens when the Northwind is introduced to their environment? Firstly, I agree that most will be killed off, as well as many of the nonmagical entities. However, this is where the thaumaturgic metabolism kicks in. Never underestimate the ability to adapt; take the Speakers for example; people immune to the shadow magic. So, let's say that one of the Beholders starts eating shadow-magic contaminated blueice. It begins to digest the energy, tainted by the shadow magic. So, stuck within the thaumaturgic field, it begins to corrupt the beholder. Many of the beholders will die at this point. However, let's take the one that doesn't. The Beholder begins to metabolize the shadow magic. Of course, it being the type of energy that it is, the Beholder begins to have parts of it's body necrotize. Bits and pieces die and fall off. But other pieces are, as a side effect of the body's normal metabolism, animated while still in the Beholder. Over time, the Beholder keeps on growing, as it's not dead yet, and the parts that die, rather than simply falling off like before. So, it begins to grow at a massive, consistant rate, until it reaches the point where the magical field reaches a sort of equilibrium. It reaches the limits of it's ability to keep the dead bits animated. Eventually, the Beholder doesn't have enough energy to move. Important bodily processes begin to shut down or warp, like the magical eyes, previously sinks for the ambient magical field. Except for the center eye, which actually absorbs magic. At this point, the eye is the only thing keeping the basic systems of the Beholder alive, absorbing the energy of the blueice and Northwind around it. So now, the Beholder-derived monster beneath the ice lies dormant. And then it begins to reproduce- but the processes are clogged by dead bits of beholder. The offspring are warped and twisted- but a few buds survive. They, still being able to sustain themselves, eat their way off into the ice, and begin their life elsewhere. Being warped mutations of nature, when a living cleric sees one and, mistaking it for an undead with it's flesh, turns it, which would normally destroy it. However, it's only half-undead. The being continues to live, but in a warped state. So, it begins to adapt to it's new life, rapidly due to it's internal thaumaturgical field after burrowing beneath the ice after the cleric leaves, and eventually, after eating some small, mummified mammal, begins to mimic the mammal's traits. They function as the mammals I described before. However, the accumulation of the shadow energy will eventually cause the creatures to die. Or would, if not for the adapted field. At this point, they undergo a transformation instead of dying, becoming smaller versions of the giant, malformed, alien creature that spawned them. At this point, if they are turned to the point of destruction they will die, as the dead flesh integrated with the living flesh to the point where one can't survive without the other. At this point, they act to counter out the population growth of the smaller beings, while spawning them themselves. Having evolved from the beholder, they instinctively attack anything that goes near. But the eye rays don't fuction, as the dead flesh warps them, and their lineage is pretty much concealed. They are killed by adventurers when they attack Northwind or the expeditions, which is how their own population is kept at a normal rate. And thus, monsters, small furry animals, and giant entities of unspeakable power all survive in Northwind, albeit some of them dormant until they can absorb enough magic to move again. But when they awake, there will be a reckoning...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dragons: No matter what setting your in, they're better then you!
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

While I understand that most creatures would be killed, I do have an idea which might work. I will put monsters in Northwind, dammit!
    Uh... why? No, seriously, why? If this area bothers you so much, you're going to rage when we reach The Edge.

There are thematic reasons why Northwind has no native life, and that's how it is. That I bothered to create a viable and setting-appropriate reason was just a bonus.

Ok, so the shadow magic within the Northwind probably will kill most creatures. However, what about the creatures that metabolize magic? Take, for instance, the Beholder. It can sustain itself on literally anything, even just dirt. This is because of a metabolism bolstered by magic. Think about it. It converts the energy into a magical field that it floats on, and dangerous magical effects that kill with ease. So, what happens when the Northwind is introduced to their environment? Firstly, I agree that most will be killed off, as well as many of the nonmagical entities. However, this is where the thaumaturgic metabolism kicks in. Never underestimate the ability to adapt; take the Speakers for example; people immune to the shadow magic. So, let's say that one of the Beholders starts eating shadow-magic contaminated blueice. It begins to digest the energy, tainted by the shadow magic. So, stuck within the thaumaturgic field, it begins to corrupt the beholder. Many of the beholders will die at this point. However, let's take the one that doesn't. The Beholder begins to metabolize the shadow magic. Of course, it being the type of energy that it is, the Beholder begins to have parts of it's body necrotize. Bits and pieces die and fall off. But other pieces are, as a side effect of the body's normal metabolism, animated while still in the Beholder. Over time, the Beholder keeps on growing, as it's not dead yet, and the parts that die, rather than simply falling off like before. So, it begins to grow at a massive, consistant rate, until it reaches the point where the magical field reaches a sort of equilibrium. It reaches the limits of it's ability to keep the dead bits animated. Eventually, the Beholder doesn't have enough energy to move. Important bodily processes begin to shut down or warp, like the magical eyes, previously sinks for the ambient magical field. Except for the center eye, which actually absorbs magic. At this point, the eye is the only thing keeping the basic systems of the Beholder alive, absorbing the energy of the blueice and Northwind around it. So now, the Beholder-derived monster beneath the ice lies dormant. And then it begins to reproduce- but the processes are clogged by dead bits of beholder. The offspring are warped and twisted- but a few buds survive. They, still being able to sustain themselves, eat their way off into the ice, and begin their life elsewhere. Being warped mutations of nature, when a living cleric sees one and, mistaking it for an undead with it's flesh, turns it, which would normally destroy it. However, it's only half-undead. The being continues to live, but in a warped state. So, it begins to adapt to it's new life, rapidly due to it's internal thaumaturgical field after burrowing beneath the ice after the cleric leaves, and eventually, after eating some small, mummified mammal, begins to mimic the mammal's traits. They function as the mammals I described before. However, the accumulation of the shadow energy will eventually cause the creatures to die. Or would, if not for the adapted field. At this point, they undergo a transformation instead of dying, becoming smaller versions of the giant, malformed, alien creature that spawned them. At this point, if they are turned to the point of destruction they will die, as the dead flesh integrated with the living flesh to the point where one can't survive without the other. At this point, they act to counter out the population growth of the smaller beings, while spawning them themselves. Having evolved from the beholder, they instinctively attack anything that goes near. But the eye rays don't fuction, as the dead flesh warps them, and their lineage is pretty much concealed. They are killed by adventurers when they attack Northwind or the expeditions, which is how their own population is kept at a normal rate. And thus, monsters, small furry animals, and giant entities of unspeakable power all survive in Northwind, albeit some of them dormant until they can absorb enough magic to move again. But when they awake, there will be a reckoning...
    The Speakers are a unique case, due to a custom ritual undergone to enter their class, and they don't even know why it works. It just does.

As for the above, its reliant on something being able to absorb the shadow magic, something that's impossible scientifically and magically. The Speakers, based on limited experiments by Tharkrixghantix, seem to be ignored by shadow magic. They're not actually able to do anything with it. Should someone actually throw shadow magic at a Speaker, they'll be affected normally. The aberrant nature of shadow magic makes it a deadly substance to deal with in raw form, such as on the North Wind itself. Even the dragons can't handle it personally, instead relying on the collection rig to reroute it into space or onto the wind to disperse.

Think of shadow magic like asbestos, but hyper-lethal and impossible to eradicate or get rid of.

EDIT: @^ While true here, no one is ever really going to bother them. Tharkrixghantix is basically a background piece to all but the most absurdly high powered campaign.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-06 at 06:54 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love that little clause in the treaty, you know that little piece of ink that gives us your consent to take over your country in an emergency. Yep, you signed it!

Call me Apoc.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    I love that little clause in the treaty, you know that little piece of ink that gives us your consent to take over your country in an emergency. Yep, you signed it!
    Given the situation, it was overlooked, due to everyone in the world being totally frikkin' screwed.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well given the sheer technological and magical and physical advantage dragons have over everyone else, perhaps its the best course of action. Although honestly, the best course of action is to leave for another, less hostile, deadly, etc. planet.

Call me Apoc.

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Uh... why? No, seriously, why? If this area bothers you so much, you're going to rage when we reach The Edge.
    Mainly, because the element I'm most interested in in any game is how the magic and monster ecology works. And frankly, a giant frozen plain surrounded by life-corrupting magic and an all-pervasive wind is just too cool an environment to let go to waste. I recognize that it has some thematic reasons for not having life in it. A compromise might be to make it seem, on the outside, like a giant frozen wasteland, but actually having some adapted organisms living underneath the ice. Not a common sight, but still something to note the uniqueness of the place, and something to haunt the ruins under the ice. The Edge, I can understand, is just a dead place without life. And I can live with that. But I really don't want Northwind to go to waste.
    As for the above, its reliant on something being able to absorb the shadow magic, something that's impossible scientifically and magically. The Speakers, based on limited experiments by Tharkrixghantix, seem to be ignored by shadow magic. They're not actually able to do anything with it. Should someone actually throw shadow magic at a Speaker, they'll be affected normally. The aberrant nature of shadow magic makes it a deadly substance to deal with in raw form, such as on the North Wind itself. Even the dragons can't handle it personally, instead relying on the collection rig to reroute it into space or onto the wind to disperse.

Think of shadow magic like asbestos, but hyper-lethal and impossible to eradicate or get rid of.
    I realize that. I'm not saying that the creatures would actually survive the experience as a whole- pieces of the being touched by the shadow magic just curl up and rot, but the interaction of the creature's natural thaumaturgical processes and the corrupting influence of the shadow magic, possibly combined with ingested Onyx, in the case of the Beholder, might cause those dead bits to self-animate. The Beholder dies bit by bit, but the internal processes of the creature still happen, as the undead bits work in concert with the living ones. It functions as a living organism, even though parts of it, or in fact most of it, becomes undead. It would possibly eventually become fully undead, but as it did so part by part, it maintains internal processes, and so continues to grow until the magical field sustaining it is pushed to the limit. Obviously, not many beings are going to get it to work like that, and perish instead. But one or two might work like that, and allow a small, yet developing ecology to survive under bits of northwind, particularly around high-energy ruins and surrounding onyx mines and cemeteries.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Well given the sheer technological and magical and physical advantage dragons have over everyone else, perhaps its the best course of action. Although honestly, the best course of action is to leave for another, less hostile, deadly, etc. planet.
    1. Again, (how often do I need to say this?) Tharkrixghantix IS A BACKGROUND PIECE. There's a reason they're a single paragraph of entry and a lot of fluff. Players will almost certainly never go there, they aren't intended to go there, and the fact that such a plot point exists is there for the rare Epic DM to play with.

2. Yeah, it would be easier to go somewhere else- wait. The other planetary options are, in order:
    -Tholfa, which is basically Mercury, but hotter.
    -Golenih, which is basically Mars, but impossible to land on due to already being inhabited by functional gods.
    -Corrant, a water world, and none of the races in question are aquatic.
    -Delia, which is Northwind, but far away, and inhabited by angry ice creatures known for eating spaceships.

Yeah, totally got a lot of amazing options there. I guess that the seriously determined nation could, if they had space travel (which, I remind you, only Orlyndol has, and never uses due to cost issues), attempt to breach the solar system and travel to another star, hopefully finding somewhere to settle out there. However, that has issues too, such as "can we survive the trip?" and "how will we even GET there?"

Thus why no one's bothered yet. And, it doesn't help that no one is actually aware of the issues Tharkrixghantix is grappling with (like I said before a few times) or the true magnitude of the issues Z-R has facing it.

Mainly, because the element I'm most interested in in any game is how the magic and monster ecology works. And frankly, a giant frozen plain surrounded by life-corrupting magic and an all-pervasive wind is just too cool an environment to let go to waste. I recognize that it has some thematic reasons for not having life in it. A compromise might be to make it seem, on the outside, like a giant frozen wasteland, but actually having some adapted organisms living underneath the ice. Not a common sight, but still something to note the uniqueness of the place, and something to haunt the ruins under the ice. The Edge, I can understand, is just a dead place without life. And I can live with that. But I really don't want Northwind to go to waste.
    Ah, right. I seem to recall having this conversation before, actually.

As for the Edge... it's actually more alive than Northwind is, ironically enough. I'll be creating a unique creature type for the Edge's denizens (few of them that there are), and more details will be forthcoming at that time.

I realize that. I'm not saying that the creatures would actually survive the experience as a whole- pieces of the being touched by the shadow magic just curl up and rot, but the interaction of the creature's natural thaumaturgical processes and the corrupting influence of the shadow magic, possibly combined with ingested Onyx, in the case of the Beholder, might cause those dead bits to self-animate. The Beholder dies bit by bit, but the internal processes of the creature still happen, as the undead bits work in concert with the living ones. It functions as a living organism, even though parts of it, or in fact most of it, becomes undead. It would possibly eventually become fully undead, but as it did so part by part, it maintains internal processes, and so continues to grow until the magical field sustaining it is pushed to the limit. Obviously, not many beings are going to get it to work like that, and perish instead. But one or two might work like that, and allow a small, yet developing ecology to survive under bits of northwind, particularly around high-energy ruins and surrounding onyx mines and cemeteries.
    Compromise follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All activity in Northwind is non-native. Nothing ever grew there (even in the ancient days, like pre-Tharkrixghantix ancient). What little life did flourish in the cold has been preserved inside the draconic state's walls, since they are the actual natives of the continent. Of course, back then, it wasn't frozen over, but cest la vie. When the Cataclysm occurred, all remaining native life on Northwind died. Over time however, as mortals have revisited, those few things capable of enduring for any length of time have stayed. Undead break down under the never-ending assault of the winds, constructs freeze up, aberrations and creatures of elemental ice even can't hack it. Still, some tenacious critters managed to burrow deep enough to survive, if not actually reproduce.

To that end, Northwind's natural underground cavern system (to be discussed... somewhere; I just realized I lack enough posts to make certain things happen ) is riddled with miniature demesnes of undead, constructs, and mad scientists/mages galore. Most of them are dead and gone now, but some, the really really durable ones, remain, even in the soul-deadening chill. Once you go deep enough, what little geological activity remains in Z-R's mantle staves off the chill of Northwind enough to make living possible, and it is in this limited layer that such creatures make their lairs. In some very rare cases, passageways from this layer make their way to the snowy surface, allowing a new wave of fresh blood (or oil, as the case may be) egress.

The few sages who know of this area call it the Tombs of the North. The few adventurers who know of it prefer to not talk about it at all.

We good?

11. - Top - End - #371

Ah, right. I seem to recall having this conversation before, actually.

As for the Edge... it's actually more alive than Northwind is, ironically enough. I'll be creating a unique creature type for the Edge's denizens (few of them that there are), and more details will be forthcoming at that time.

Compromise follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All activity in Northwind is non-native. Nothing ever grew there (even in the ancient days, like pre-Tharkrixghantix ancient). What little life did flourish in the cold has been preserved inside the draconic state's walls, since they are the actual natives of the continent. Of course, back then, it wasn't frozen over, but cest la vie. When the Cataclysm occurred, all remaining native life on Northwind died. Over time however, as mortals have revisited, those few things capable of enduring for any length of time have stayed. Undead break down under the never-ending assault of the winds, constructs freeze up, aberrations and creatures of elemental ice even can't hack it. Still, some tenacious critters managed to burrow deep enough to survive, if not actually reproduce.

To that end, Northwind's natural underground cavern system (to be discussed... somewhere; I just realized I lack enough posts to make certain things happen ) is riddled with miniature demesnes of undead, constructs, and mad scientists/mages galore. Most of them are dead and gone now, but some, the really really durable ones, remain, even in the soul-deadening chill. Once you go deep enough, what little geological activity remains in Z-R's mantle staves off the chill of Northwind enough to make living possible, and it is in this limited layer that such creatures make their lairs. In some very rare cases, passageways from this layer make their way to the snowy surface, allowing a new wave of fresh blood (or oil, as the case may be) egress.

The few sages who know of this area call it the Tombs of the North. The few adventurers who know of it prefer to not talk about it at all.

We good?
    Fair enough. Open-ended enough to hide giant aberrations under the ice and such. Also, small note on the extra posts: Post one further down the thread, and link it up in the front posts. It can still happen.

And now, I eagerly await Xortal...
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-06 at 08:44 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. Open-ended enough to hide giant aberrations under the ice and such. Also, small note on the extra posts: Post one further down the thread, and link it up in the front posts. It can still happen.
    Actually, thanks to the magic that is Roland, I think we'll have another post inserted where desired. That guy never ceases to amaze.

And now, I eagerly await Xortal...
    As do I. *waits for inspiration to strike*

Xortal is a tough chestnut (not a water chestnut ), and I have very few notes for it (having dedicated a lot of my time to another upcoming project; the Magic Dead expansion, if you're curious). It'll be up in a day or two... I hope.

13. - Top - End - #373

Actually, thanks to the magic that is Roland, I think we'll have another post inserted where desired. That guy never ceases to amaze.

As do I. *waits for inspiration to strike*

Xortal is a tough chestnut (not a water chestnut ), and I have very few notes for it (having dedicated a lot of my time to another upcoming project; the Magic Dead expansion, if you're curious). It'll be up in a day or two... I hope.
    ...Are the rest of us allowed to put up ideas for Xortal? I have a couple... Well, a lot, actually, but that's just me.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

...Are the rest of us allowed to put up ideas for Xortal? I have a couple...
    When was the last time I was all "BADWRONGNOFEEDBACKRAWRGH"?

Go for it. Just do me a few favors:
    -Use bullet points and/or the return key, please? The blocks of text are tough to navigate sometimes.
    -Don't expect too much. Some stuff might get included, other stuff might not.

I always appreciate feedback and suggestions though (especially for the "here be jungle" part of the map. >_>

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel as if, no matter what you do, that you shouldn't let your players in on Xortal. If a campaign is set there, let it be completely unknown.

Now that that has been said, the first thought that comes to mind is humanoids. I almost feel as if humanoids would be either nonexistent or hugely dispersed. It seems like they sort of have the best climate/area right in the middle of the map, and depending on the jungle life, it would probably be safer to stay up there. But then again, the climate could also be the perfect place to live; who knows.

Now there is the most important piece; why do the mortals want to be anywhere near Xortal? Are they running out of room? Are they power hungry, and looking for land? Do they need a specific resource (possibly slave labor if there are people in Xortal, or just plain old Narrativium, if necessary)? Intent is key here. Since Xortal appears to be the main "exploration, ho!" area of the world, there needs to be a reason for exploration. Up to you on this one, and there will be more than likely more than one intent, depending on the country.

Thirdly; what is the fauna like? I imagine that it would be larger/stronger and possibly smarter than the mortals. One idea that might be interesting would be that some of the shadow energy that comes from the northwind, and part of the shadow energy that is already leaking out of the dimension split flows down the land, to the south. Those closest to the rip are more affected, but the amount is enough that basically everyone is affected above Xortal. Xortal, with its strangely maybe hot climate (it seems like you flavored the rest of the climates more of a median rather than equator level hot, I don't know if this is necessarily true) would shunt the winds that carry the shadow energy (there also seems to be a strangely awesome theme of winds carrying things that have to do with the dead; I like this) up over the jungles, leaving them relatively unharmed. The wildlife within would be more energetic and full of life.

Just an idea, and something to give you some thoughts.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

16. - Top - End - #376

When was the last time I was all "BADWRONGNOFEEDBACKRAWRGH"?

Go for it. Just do me a few favors:
    -Use bullet points and/or the return key, please? The blocks of text are tough to navigate sometimes.
    -Don't expect too much. Some stuff might get included, other stuff might not.

I always appreciate feedback and suggestions though (especially for the "here be jungle" part of the map. >_>
    Alright, then.

The Jungle:
    "Every living thing on Xortal wants to kill you and eat you for its sweets." So said the Intolar Commander. He couldn't be more right.
    The Jungle is incredibly thick and full of life. It is more or less a giant, self-contained recycling machine; plants absorb nutrients from the soil, herbivores from the soil, etc.; the circle of life goes on. However, it has been more or less the same nutrients- and magic- recycled over hundreds of years, with little outside contact. Over time, this energy has formed connections between some of the plants and animals in Xortal, acting as a primitive form of communication relay- one wolf might have been turned into food for up to 7 trees at once. Each tree now contains a bit of the same energy. Over time, the energy resonance between certain trees builds up- the trees have a primitive sort of neural network. In the early to mid stages of the continent's life, this more or less served to tell each of the trees which direction new nutrients were in; one tree might get a surge of new nutrients, which causes other, nearby trees to grow their roots in the direction of the new food source. This rapidly led to the development of more and more connections between trees- more and more were partaking of the same energy and nutrients. Over time, this energy becomes more and more concentrated, and forms a stronger and stronger connection between the trees- until it eventually achieves a rather primitive neural network.

This network mainly is self-contained within the trees- but there is a limited amount of energy to go around, and eventually other animals start to become connected with the trees as well. Not quite as well as the trees and other plants, though; plant-animal connections usually fare poorly, and more or less result in herbivores instinctively knowing where the best plants are, and alerting scavengers where fresh corpses are. However, once the hivemind was established amongst the predators, things changed alot. The predators were the last ones to be included into the hivemind connections, as the energy takes a while to cycle up through the food chain. However, it was enormously beneficial to the pack predators. And so, the development there exploded. Pack hunting tactics took on a whole new level- if one wolf in a pack found a source of food, the rest of the pack immediately knew where it was, and they could all collectively form a hunting plan. Not to mention the fact that they instinctively know where all of the prey lives in the continent. After this point, almost every animal in Xortal had to adapt some means of effective defense against the predators. Prey in Xortal developed frills and spines meant to lock together with other creatures, and, over time, additional limbs to keep the creatures steady while fending off an assault, while also allowing them to fight back with something more than horns and a frill. Eventually, hunting tactics in Xortal became more complex, and creature anatomies developed to reflect that. Spines eventually became a predominant weapon- they could be launched from a distance, additional eyes could give a better depth perception, and shots became an amazing way to snipe creatures from a distance.

Additional effects of a hivemind/energy connection between the creatures of Xortal was the rise of insect swarms and symbiotic organisms. Smaller creatures were unable to adapt with the rise of the pack hunter, and so developed ways of using larger creatures as protection. In return, they would provide services of their own. This more or less worked out, initially, as a barter system- the smaller creatures would scout out ahead of the pack and gather food for all, and the larger creatures would guard them in the event of an attack. However, over time, the bonds became stronger and stronger. An exemplar of what occurred can be found in the Chuul, where the different animals fused together as one. Other creatures established this to a smaller extent- one creature might have thick, spiny skin with holes and parches all over, that sweats out chemicals which sustain a colony of spiders living in the skin. The spiders, in return, will bite and sting larger foes to paralysis, and also excrete web solution which is harvested by the creature to shoot over a distance at an assailant or potential prey, locking it in place while the huge being charged it down. Insect swarms, in this time frame, also developed symbiotic relationships with plants, acting as defenders for a large plant, and occasionally hunting down small mammals for the tree's nutrition, and feeding on the sap in return.

However, recently, things have been changing the Xortal way of life. New beings, unlike any seen before, have been entering the land. They not only destroyed some of the trees (Which, living on the edge of the continent, were a source of inbound nutrition; their roots would trap fish while symbiotic insects and would poison them until the prey died, at which point the fish guts became prime food for the next catch, and the rest of it being dissolved. Being a source of nutrition that was not already recirculated, the trees were generally left alone by the inhabitants), but they are also, themselves, a source of nutrition that no one in the continent encountered before. This, and the new challenge of not being able to get a feel for where they are, caused the beings to be viciously attacked by some of the nearer inhabitants. However, as they can't be detected, they are left alone for the most part, unless spotted by a creature in the woods. At which point they are violently attacked.

That's what I have for right now. I might be able to get some more up tomorrow, though...
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-07 at 12:09 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I feel as if, no matter what you do, that you shouldn't let your players in on Xortal. If a campaign is set there, let it be completely unknown.

Now that that has been said, the first thought that comes to mind is humanoids. I almost feel as if humanoids would be either nonexistent or hugely dispersed. It seems like they sort of have the best climate/area right in the middle of the map, and depending on the jungle life, it would probably be safer to stay up there. But then again, the climate could also be the perfect place to live; who knows.

Now there is the most important piece; why do the mortals want to be anywhere near Xortal? Are they running out of room? Are they power hungry, and looking for land? Do they need a specific resource (possibly slave labor if there are people in Xortal, or just plain old Narrativium, if necessary)? Intent is key here. Since Xortal appears to be the main "exploration, ho!" area of the world, there needs to be a reason for exploration. Up to you on this one, and there will be more than likely more than one intent, depending on the country.

Thirdly; what is the fauna like? I imagine that it would be larger/stronger and possibly smarter than the mortals. One idea that might be interesting would be that some of the shadow energy that comes from the northwind, and part of the shadow energy that is already leaking out of the dimension split flows down the land, to the south. Those closest to the rip are more affected, but the amount is enough that basically everyone is affected above Xortal. Xortal, with its strangely maybe hot climate (it seems like you flavored the rest of the climates more of a median rather than equator level hot, I don't know if this is necessarily true) would shunt the winds that carry the shadow energy (there also seems to be a strangely awesome theme of winds carrying things that have to do with the dead; I like this) up over the jungles, leaving them relatively unharmed. The wildlife within would be more energetic and full of life.

Just an idea, and something to give you some thoughts.
    Alright, then.

The Jungle:
    "Every living thing on Xortal wants to kill you and eat you for its sweets." So said the Intolar Commander. He couldn't be more right.
    The Jungle is incredibly thick and full of life. It is more or less a giant, self-contained recycling machine; plants absorb nutrients from the soil, herbivores from the soil, etc.; the circle of life goes on. However, it has been more or less the same nutrients- and magic- recycled over hundreds of years, with little outside contact. Over time, this energy has formed connections between some of the plants and animals in Xortal, acting as a primitive form of communication relay- one wolf might have been turned into food for up to 7 trees at once. Each tree now contains a bit of the same energy. Over time, the energy resonance between certain trees builds up- the trees have a primitive sort of neural network. In the early to mid stages of the continent's life, this more or less served to tell each of the trees which direction new nutrients were in; one tree might get a surge of new nutrients, which causes other, nearby trees to grow their roots in the direction of the new food source. This rapidly led to the development of more and more connections between trees- more and more were partaking of the same energy and nutrients. Over time, this energy becomes more and more concentrated, and forms a stronger and stronger connection between the trees- until it eventually achieves a rather primitive neural network.

This network mainly is self-contained within the trees- but there is a limited amount of energy to go around, and eventually other animals start to become connected with the trees as well. Not quite as well as the trees and other plants, though; plant-animal connections usually fare poorly, and more or less result in herbivores instinctively knowing where the best plants are, and alerting scavengers where fresh corpses are. However, once the hivemind was established amongst the predators, things changed alot. The predators were the last ones to be included into the hivemind connections, as the energy takes a while to cycle up through the food chain. However, it was enormously beneficial to the pack predators. And so, the development there exploded. Pack hunting tactics took on a whole new level- if one wolf in a pack found a source of food, the rest of the pack immediately knew where it was, and they could all collectively form a hunting plan. Not to mention the fact that they instinctively know where all of the prey lives in the continent. After this point, almost every animal in Xortal had to adapt some means of effective defense against the predators. Prey in Xortal developed frills and spines meant to lock together with other creatures, and, over time, additional limbs to keep the creatures steady while fending off an assault, while also allowing them to fight back with something more than horns and a frill. Eventually, hunting tactics in Xortal became more complex, and creature anatomies developed to reflect that. Spines eventually became a predominant weapon- they could be launched from a distance, additional eyes could give a better depth perception, and shots became an amazing way to snipe creatures from a distance.

Additional effects of a hivemind/energy connection between the creatures of Xortal was the rise of insect swarms and symbiotic organisms. Smaller creatures were unable to adapt with the rise of the pack hunter, and so developed ways of using larger creatures as protection. In return, they would provide services of their own. This more or less worked out, initially, as a barter system- the smaller creatures would scout out ahead of the pack and gather food for all, and the larger creatures would guard them in the event of an attack. However, over time, the bonds became stronger and stronger. An exemplar of what occurred can be found in the Chuul, where the different animals fused together as one. Other creatures established this to a smaller extent- one creature might have thick, spiny skin with holes and parches all over, that sweats out chemicals which sustain a colony of spiders living in the skin. The spiders, in return, will bite and sting larger foes to paralysis, and also excrete web solution which is harvested by the creature to shoot over a distance at an assailant or potential prey, locking it in place while the huge being charged it down. Insect swarms, in this time frame, also developed symbiotic relationships with plants, acting as defenders for a large plant, and occasionally hunting down small mammals for the tree's nutrition, and feeding on the sap in return.

However, recently, things have been changing the Xortal way of life. New beings, unlike any seen before, have been entering the land. They not only destroyed some of the trees (Which, living on the edge of the continent, were a source of inbound nutrition; their roots would trap fish while symbiotic insects and would poison them until the prey died, at which point the fish guts became prime food for the next catch, and the rest of it being dissolved. Being a source of nutrition that was not already recirculated, the trees were generally left alone by the inhabitants), but they are also, themselves, a source of nutrition that no one in the continent encountered before. This, and the new challenge of not being able to get a feel for where they are, caused the beings to be viciously attacked by some of the nearer inhabitants. However, as they can't be detected, they are left alone for the most part, unless spotted by a creature in the woods. At which point they are violently attacked.

That's what I have for right now. I might be able to get some more up tomorrow, though...
    Several thoughts.

1. Good food for thought there, uno. I'll keep that in mind. I can already answer most of that stuff, and you're right about Xortal's metagame purpose. It really is the "adventure, ho!" location. I figured I should keep at least one true D&D convention.

2. DM, I can boil that ENTIRE post down to two words: symbiotic hivemind. You're like a naturalist textbook writer or something. Not like that's bad, but it's something to see. I'll keep it in mind though.

3. Thanks to the ninja-power of Roland, I have an extra post chilling out in the main run of posts. It'll be filled in later.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-07 at 12:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Something that DM got me thinking about:

If the trees are essentially working like ants, where one tree finds food, and the other trees move their roots towards the food, the root system of those trees has to be huge. I was just thinking that it would be kind of cool (even if you didn't use the hive-tree thingy) that the root system were really intertwined and practically embedded in the bed rock. It would sort of represent Xortal being opposed to anything trying to destroy the forests, and would make it far less unstable and unrealistic for your players ("You mean the robot people, crazy magical elves, humans, and other people couldn't just burn the damn thing down?"). Another idea may be to make fire, or heat in general make the forest stronger, feeding it and giving it life. It would make a great symbolism when compared to northwind, the land of the cold and the very north, and Xortal, of fire and life. Just an idea.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Crawling through the Xortal post now. The new post has been updated with a title and basic structure. The Lattice approaches.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Everything from the title of Xortal through to the Power Groups has been updated. I'll hack at Religion and the rest later today (probably).

Included was a twist on the hivemind theory of Xortal (one that DM is gonna loooooove). I didn't go very indepth on the biology of the place, and that's intentional. Not that I disliked anything you guys created, in fact, I really liked it, and will probably link it somewhere at some point. I didn't include it because I saw no need for it. This is a primer, not a textbook (that comes later ).

I did talk some about the tasloi, and the more I talk about them, the more I like them. Tasloi are awesome. They're not going to be a PC race though, as that post should make pretty clear.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished reading the post for Xortal, as well as some of the other posts that I missed. Xortal seems beautiful, and I love the idea of the land (or some strange monster underneath it, since I recall you mentioning that the land is mostly dead) defending the jungles from the outsiders.

What does the land monster think about the Serpentes?

Also, I am waiting with rapt ears for the next posts; those names are awesome.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382

Yes. I rather liked some of the twists in the continent.

And now, the comments/questions: I like what you did with the natural tendency for plants to adopt to integrate with the rest of Xortal. That was definitely one of the key features of the setting, and I'm surprised I didn't think of that myself. One of the things that might have been interesting to see would be, however, plants that were cultivated (perhaps by Orlyndians) to not drift to the jungle. However, as a side effect, they don't get quite as much benefit from the soil. Another thing that I'm curious about is how magical plants, such as the ones featured in Dragon Magazine #357 would interact with Xortal. If they were native to a different part of Zaaman-Rul, and later introduced into Xortal, how do you think they would react? Would they be shunned from the jungle/the tasloi? Would they be integrated into it? Would they have some sort of limiting effect on the drifting of plants into the jungle? Would they instead do the reverse? It's an interesting question. Of course, they could just wind up being native to Xortal in general, but the question could also apply to cultivated plants whose origins are founded in Orlyndol, Intolar, or somewhere else, as well.

Also, expect some questions about The Green One, semidivinity, and the limits on what The Green One can do in the near-ish future...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I just finished reading the post for Xortal, as well as some of the other posts that I missed. Xortal seems beautiful, and I love the idea of the land (or some strange monster underneath it, since I recall you mentioning that the land is mostly dead) defending the jungles from the outsiders.
    Well, the land itself is rich with nutrients, thanks to DM and his Naturalism Textbooks.

I wanted to convey a Pandora-esque (think Avatar; I hate referencing that movie, but it's appropriate here) feel for the place. It's beautiful, but it's not your friend.

What does the land monster think about the Serpentes?
    Good question! No idea! Next question!

Ok, actually, I don't know, nor do I care. As far as I'm concerned, the nature of the sentience in Xortal is up to the individual DM who runs games. I know what I'll probably call it for "canon", but really, it's like the Mournland: up to the DM.

If you want to know what the so-called "canon" explanation of Xortal is, I can provide it, but remember, it's like the Mournland, so if you don't like it, you're welcome to change it up.

Also, I am waiting with rapt ears for the next posts; those names are awesome.
    The Emptiness of Death and the Untamed Wilds Beneath will be coming in a week or two probably. The Edge is going to be snappy. The Lattice will be less so, since I basically just added it yesterday.

Yes. I rather liked some of the twists in the continent.
    Thought you might, Mr. Doom Monsters (Marit Lage much? Also, I have that token running around somewhere).

And now, the comments/questions: I like what you did with the natural tendency for plants to adopt to integrate with the rest of Xortal. That was definitely one of the key features of the setting, and I'm surprised I didn't think of that myself. One of the things that might have been interesting to see would be, however, plants that were cultivated (perhaps by Orlyndians) to not drift to the jungle. However, as a side effect, they don't get quite as much benefit from the soil.
    Possible, but unlikely to happen any time soon. The nature of Xortal restricts such a thing, since to do so, you're directly combating the will of The Green One, which is tough.

Another thing that I'm curious about is how magical plants, such as the ones featured in Dragon Magazine #357 would interact with Xortal.
    Man, I thought I was the only guy alive who read that one.

If they were native to a different part of Zaaman-Rul, and later introduced into Xortal, how do you think they would react?
    Likely, they'd be absorbed as well, and their biodiversity added to the jungle's own (lulzplantborg?).

Would they be shunned from the jungle/the tasloi? Would they be integrated into it?
    No. Yes.

Would they have some sort of limiting effect on the drifting of plants into the jungle? Would they instead do the reverse? It's an interesting question.
    Probably not. Also probably not. Each plant is a unique situation, and takes a unique span of time to be absorbed. For example, if I planted two rose bushes of the same age and size at the exact same second (assume I used magic to do this) on Xortal soil, one may be adapted to the jungle in a week, and the other might take a month. Every case is unique.

Also, expect some questions about The Green One, semidivinity, and the limits on what The Green One can do in the near-ish future...
    See above before you fly off the handle there, buddy.

EDIT: Also, you and the ninjaposts full of questions. Man, you're good at that.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-07 at 06:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384

A couple of questions now...
    How would the dwarves react with the wildlife of Xortal? There is an ambient hivemind-like entity in the jungle, and so the dwarves might have some kind of reaction to it... either integrate, go crazy, or some third thing. It would be interesting to know.

Also, exactly how much can the trees and other plants move? Is it just an oddly large number of roots tripping you, or do the trees actually move to hit you in the face some of the time? How many plant creatures live in the jungle? Is it just tendriculi, assassin vines, and shambling mounds around every corner? Or are they more spread out over the continent? How does nature magic, like Plant Growth, interact with Xortal? How does fire and evocation spells interact with the forest? A slash-and-burn method seems like a good strategy for dealing with the forest, unless there are natural defenses.
    Also, how prevalent is magic in the Tasloi culture? Is it just a couple of adepts scattered about, or is there a large cult of magic? Is there any arcane magic in Xortal? If so, are there any wizards, and if there are, where do they keep magical lore? What deities do the Tasloi worship, aside from The Green One? Can The Green One grant spells to worshippers? Why or why not? If it does grant spells, what domains does it grant? How do the Tasloi treat creatures of the forest? Do they mount creatures like Howlers and the Arboreal Aardvark-Hounds, or do they just view them as food?

How does The Green One interact with the creatures in the forests? Can it command them, like the plants? Or are they a completely separate entity. How does summoning magic work with Xortal? Are summoning spells able to summon animals from Xortal, and if so, are there separate summoning tables? If they cannot, why? If they summon normal animals from Xortal, do the summoned animals gain any special bonuses?

How much can The Green One manipulate the plants and animals of the world? Can it animate trees, and/or form them into giant masses, possibly as an avatar? Is the ground affected by the hivemind? For example, can the roots and worms in the ground cause the ground to raise in one area, and form hills and such? Or, is it possible for the ground itself, made of dead organisms and small microbes, to integrate with the hivemind? If so, can rocks? How far does the hivemind extend? Into the ocean? Far underground? Into the air? If a Xortal plant was exported off the continent and outside of the hivemind, what would happen? Would anything different from this happen if they were brought into a dwarven hivecity?
    Does The Green One have an actual, physical body separated from the forest? Why does The Green One have an affinity for the ruins from the ancient plant-people? What are the racial stats for the plant people? Can The Green One use magic? For example, can it cast divine-ish spells, or spontaneously empower/weaken spells? How does Necromancy work in Xortal? For example, the corpse of a creature from Xortal. Does it have any connection to the hivemind?

What is beneath Xortal? Just dirt, or are ancient creatures buried under there to (dead or alive)? Do any elementals get strengthened or weakened in Xortal? What is The Green One's view on Druids, if you choose to integrate them into the setting (which I sincerely hope you will)? What is the ultimate goal and mindset of The Green One? Are there any special spells native to Xortal? For example, with plant animation or creating a symbiotic relationships? Are there any plant grafts (like in Magic of Eberron) in Xortal? If so, does the cost to make them depreciate giving the plant's natural sybioticness? If the grafts do exist, how would the interact with the hivemind in Xortal? Also, how do individual plants and animals interact? Is it possible to get through a string of questions without thinking about Zendicar or Avatar?

Are there any swamps in Xortal, and if so, how does the life in them interact with the life in the jungle? Are there any major geological features in Xortal? What are they? Is enchantment magic (suggestion, Dominate X, etc.) affected by the hivemind (This question also applying to dwarves and their hiveminds)? Finally, what would happen if someone used wide-range damage-dealing magic in Xortal, like a pyromaniac mage using fireballs all over the place, or possibly more devastating effects?

Dragons: No matter what setting your in, they're better then you!
    Have you ever read a Discworld novel? Swamp Dragons. That's all I have to say.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-08 at 07:27 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of questions now...
    How would the dwarves react with the wildlife of Xortal? There is an ambient hivemind-like entity in the jungle, and so the dwarves might have some kind of reaction to it... either integrate, go crazy, or some third thing. It would be interesting to know. Also, exactly how much can the trees and other plants move? Is it just an oddly large number of roots tripping you, or do the trees actually move to hit you in the face some of the time? How many plant creatures live in the jungle? Is it just tendriculi, assassin vines, and shambling mounds around every corner? Or are they more spread out over the continent? How does nature magic, like Plant Growth, interact with Xortal? How does fire and evocation spells interact with the forest? A slash-and-burn method seems like a good strategy for dealing with the forest, unless there are natural defenses. Also, how prevalent is magic in the Tasloi culture? Is it just a couple of adepts scattered about, or is there a large cult of magic? Is there any arcane magic in Xortal? If so, are there any wizards, and if there are, where do they keep magical lore? What deities do the Tasloi worship, aside from The Green One? Can The Green One grant spells to worshippers? Why or why not? If it does grant spells, what domains does it grant? How do the Tasloi treat creatures of the forest? Do they mount creatures like Howlers and the Arboreal Aardvark-Hounds, or do they just view them as food? How does The Green One interact with the creatures in the forests? Can it command them, like the plants? Or are they a completely separate entity. How does summoning magic work with Xortal? Are summoning spells able to summon animals from Xortal, and if so, are there separate summoning tables? If they cannot, why? If they summon normal animals from Xortal, do the summoned animals gain any special bonuses? How much can The Green One manipulate the plants and animals of the world? Can it animate trees, and/or form them into giant masses, possibly as an avatar? Is the ground affected by the hivemind? For example, can the roots and worms in the ground cause the ground to raise in one area, and form hills and such? Or, is it possible for the ground itself, made of dead organisms and small microbes, to integrate with the hicemind? If so, can rocks? How far does the hivemind extend? Into the ocean? Far underground? Into the air? If a Xortal plant was exported off the continent and outside of the hivemind, how would it interact? Would anything different happen if they were brought into a dwarven hivecity? Does The Green One have an actual, physical body separated from the forest? Why does The Green One have an affinity for the ruins from the ancient plant-people? What are the racial stats for the plant people? Can The Green One use magic? For example, can it cast divine-ish spells, or spontaneously empower/weaken spells? How does Necromancy work in Xortal? For example, the corpse of a creature from Xortal. Does it have any connection to the hivemind? What is beneath Xortal? Just dirt, or are ancient creatures buried under there to (dead or alive)? Do any elementals get strengthened or weakened in Xortal? What is The Green One's view on Druids, if you choose to integrate them into the setting (which I sincerely hope you will)? What is the ultimate goal and mindset of The Green One? Are there any special spells native to Xortal? For example, with plant animation or creating a symbiotic relationships? Are there any plant grafts (like in Magic of Eberron) in Xortal? If so, does the cost to make them depreciate giving the plant's natural sybioticness? If the grafts do exist, how would the interact with the hivemind in Xortal? Also, how do individual plants and animals interact? Is it possible to get through a string of questions without thinking about Zendicar or Avatar? Are there any swamps in Xortal, and if so, how does the life in them interact with the life in the jungle? Are there any major geological features in Xortal? What are they? Is enchantment magic (suggestion, Dominate X, etc.) affected by the hivemind (This question also applying to dwarves and their hiveminds)? Finally, what would happen if someone used wide-range damage-dealing magic in Xortal, like a pyromaniac mage using fireballs all over the place, or possibly more devastating effects?
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE THE RETURN KEY PLEASE!! I love answering all of this, but please, PLEASE use the return key so I know what goes together and what doesn't and to make my life a little easier.

I'll get to this tomorrow though, gotta run at the moment.

26. - Top - End - #386

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE THE RETURN KEY PLEASE!! I love answering all of this, but please, PLEASE use the return key so I know what goes together and what doesn't and to make my life a little easier.

I'll get to this tomorrow though, gotta run at the moment.
    Alright, I'll fix that now... but it just seems much less intimidating now with all the space in it...
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-08 at 07:28 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I'll fix that now... but it just seems much less intimidating now with all the space in it...
    I seriously appreciate it. You have excellent and insightful questions, but dammit if it's tough to parse well sometimes.

How would the dwarves react with the wildlife of Xortal? There is an ambient hivemind-like entity in the jungle, and so the dwarves might have some kind of reaction to it... either integrate, go crazy, or some third thing. It would be interesting to know.
    The dwarven hivecities are dwarf exclusive. They are only telepathic and hivemind with each other. The Green One can't "interface" with them.

Also, exactly how much can the trees and other plants move? Is it just an oddly large number of roots tripping you, or do the trees actually move to hit you in the face some of the time? How many plant creatures live in the jungle? Is it just tendriculi, assassin vines, and shambling mounds around every corner? Or are they more spread out over the continent? How does nature magic, like Plant Growth, interact with Xortal? How does fire and evocation spells interact with the forest? A slash-and-burn method seems like a good strategy for dealing with the forest, unless there are natural defenses.
    Also, how prevalent is magic in the Tasloi culture? Is it just a couple of adepts scattered about, or is there a large cult of magic? Is there any arcane magic in Xortal? If so, are there any wizards, and if there are, where do they keep magical lore? What deities do the Tasloi worship, aside from The Green One? Can The Green One grant spells to worshippers? Why or why not? If it does grant spells, what domains does it grant? How do the Tasloi treat creatures of the forest? Do they mount creatures like Howlers and the Arboreal Aardvark-Hounds, or do they just view them as food?
    In order:
    -Think The Two Towers, at the end, where Fangorn Forest goes to Helm's Deep.
    -Yes, they do hit people in the face.
    -Lots.
    -Yep.
    -Also yep.
    -Like normal.
    -Also like normal.
    -It is, but there are natural defenses against it (such as calantra, duskwood, and suth trees).
    -Moderately. There's a strong naturalistic tradition.
    -Yes, but not from the Tasloi.
    -Yes there are, mostly the Serpentes. Professor Daruth Xavix is an arcanist, as are most of his students (who like to visit from time to time, and who maintain an enclave in one of the five local towns; that'll be discussed in a bit).
    -None.
    -Yes.
    -It's technically a divinity.
    -TBD.
    -Like brethren and favored pets.
    -Yes, they use mounts on occasion, but it's not super useful in the jungle.

How does The Green One interact with the creatures in the forests? Can it command them, like the plants? Or are they a completely separate entity. How does summoning magic work with Xortal? Are summoning spells able to summon animals from Xortal, and if so, are there separate summoning tables? If they cannot, why? If they summon normal animals from Xortal, do the summoned animals gain any special bonuses?
    -They are like the tasloi: the forest has a will of its own, and can use suggestions and pressure to induce the desired behavior, but it can be resisted and ignored due to higher pressures (like starvation or fear of death or whatever).
    -Summoning in Xortal works normall.
    -No and no.
    -The Green One has domain over them, and prevents it.
    -No they don't.

How much can The Green One manipulate the plants and animals of the world? Can it animate trees, and/or form them into giant masses, possibly as an avatar? Is the ground affected by the hivemind? For example, can the roots and worms in the ground cause the ground to raise in one area, and form hills and such? Or, is it possible for the ground itself, made of dead organisms and small microbes, to integrate with the hivemind? If so, can rocks? How far does the hivemind extend? Into the ocean? Far underground? Into the air? If a Xortal plant was exported off the continent and outside of the hivemind, what would happen? Would anything different from this happen if they were brought into a dwarven hivecity?
    Does The Green One have an actual, physical body separated from the forest? Why does The Green One have an affinity for the ruins from the ancient plant-people? What are the racial stats for the plant people? Can The Green One use magic? For example, can it cast divine-ish spells, or spontaneously empower/weaken spells? How does Necromancy work in Xortal? For example, the corpse of a creature from Xortal. Does it have any connection to the hivemind?
    -The world? Not at all. Xortal? Entirely.
    -Yes, in Xortal.
    -No.
    -No.
    -No.
    -Rocks can't.
    -The borders of the continent.
    -Nope.
    -Somewhat underground, as deep as the roots run and to the depth of The Green One's "chambers". I can't give you an exact depth. Call it "deepish".
    -It extends into the air via flying creatures from Xortal, but the air itself is not part of the network.
    -It would no longer be controllable. Control is through a network of roots (for plants) and when animals consume plants (or other animals under Xortal control). It's part physical, part psychic. This is why animals are less easily controlled than plants: plants are directly controlled, animals are not.
    -No.
    -Yes.
    -It doesn't really. The tasloi do, and that's cause they're already there for use.
    -They're extinct, so it's irrelevant.
    -Yes.
    -Yes.
    -Normally.
    -No. It's food for plants/animals.

What is beneath Xortal? Just dirt, or are ancient creatures buried under there to (dead or alive)? Do any elementals get strengthened or weakened in Xortal? What is The Green One's view on Druids, if you choose to integrate them into the setting (which I sincerely hope you will)? What is the ultimate goal and mindset of The Green One? Are there any special spells native to Xortal? For example, with plant animation or creating a symbiotic relationships? Are there any plant grafts (like in Magic of Eberron) in Xortal? If so, does the cost to make them depreciate giving the plant's natural sybioticness? If the grafts do exist, how would the interact with the hivemind in Xortal? Also, how do individual plants and animals interact? Is it possible to get through a string of questions without thinking about Zendicar or Avatar?
    -Dirt, ruins, The Green One, tunnels. Same as anywhere else.
    -Elementals are as normal in Xortal.
    -They're pretty chill guys (I'm leaning that way, currently).
    -The Green One is... complicated.
    -Yes, there will be tasloi-specific magic, serpentes-specific magic, and Xavix has a few unique toys (those aren't very related to Xortal though).
    -That all is good stuff (the link).
    -I don't like grafts in general, actually. However, the graft mechanics have been reserved for Alykandor.
    -99% of the time, The Green One leaves everything to its own natures, so they tend to interact as per normal for their natures. However, on that 1%, the image applies.
    -No. I prefer Avatar though. Another good visual image for what Xortal looks like is the Genesis Cave and Planet from Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 3 (pre-breakdown).

Are there any swamps in Xortal, and if so, how does the life in them interact with the life in the jungle? Are there any major geological features in Xortal? What are they? Is enchantment magic (suggestion, Dominate X, etc.) affected by the hivemind (This question also applying to dwarves and their hiveminds)? Finally, what would happen if someone used wide-range damage-dealing magic in Xortal, like a pyromaniac mage using fireballs all over the place, or possibly more devastating effects?
    -Yes. Normally for swamps, unless The Green One gives an override command and takes direct control. Such... rarely happens. An example would be the current situation with the tasloi and the interlopers.
    -Yes. There is a single river running through the continent, from its headwaters at the southern terminator line up the the northern coast of Xortal. This river is called the Xortal River by outsiders, and flows south to north, much like our Nile. Additionally, there are a handful of lakes and other small bodies of water throughout the continent. Finally, there's the terminator line mountains, which mark the border of Xortal and the Edge, and which is where the Serpentes citadel lies.
    -The Green One's orders overrule direct enchantment magic, thanks to The Green One being a being of incalculable power. The dwarven hivecities instead give a bonus to the save (game balance roflrofl).
    -Well, it'd cause quite a ruckus to start off. It'd then be followed up by The Green One taking direct control of everything at once, ordering the fauna to eradicate the aggressor(s) and ordering the flora to increase reproduction. Remember, Xortal's plant system is connected via the root system to The Green One. It would flood the entire plant system with nutrients to stimulate growth, to replenish what was destroyed. This is the secret of why Xortal's flora grows so fast.

Lengthy aside about The Green One and its brethren:
    Spoiler
    Show

On this Prime Material Plane, things work a little differently from standard D&D in a few respects. The biggest, most world changing, difference is the addition of world spirits.

Each world has between one and five "world spirits", based on world age and nature. For example, Tholfa has one spirit, due to it being a dead molten ball of failure. World spirits embody the nature of the world and its major themes. Tholfa's spirit is a massive molten metal creature that rolls across the landscape, destroying as it goes, representing the world's nature as destructive and very very hot.

Zaaman-Rul has three spirits. These beings existed well before life, of any kind, existed. When the planet coalesced from the stellar dirt and rock, they were there as its spirits. When the planet was sundered into two parts, one spirit went to the moon. When the Cataclysm happened, they endured. They are not gods as we understand it, but they have many of the same powers. They cannot be divinities as we understand them, but they can grant spells and empower lesser beings.

The world spirits have their own agendas, well beyond the plane of our comprehension, and act in designs millions of years long. They are most akin to the Fathers in scope. The Green One, slumbering beneath Xortal, is one of these beings. It is not awake, and the magnitude of an event that would awaken it would change the world. Only one of The Green One's brethren can truly interact with it as an equal, and their identities and natures are as obscure as its own.

EDIT: Concerning Druids. I dislike the Druid class. Always have. I never felt like it was a unique enough archetype to deserve inclusion. However, the more I explore Z-R, the more I figure that I need a druidic-style class. However, the Druid class itself needs to go away, and is going to. So, here is what's going to happen.

The Druid is being broken into three parts: the "pet", the "morpher", and the "nature caster". Each of these is going to be an ACF for other class. The druidic animal companion is moving to the Ranger, possibly as a basic ability. The Morpher is moving to the Ranger as an ACF granting the Shapeshift ability from PHB2 (replacing the animal companion). The Nature Caster is moving to the Cleric as an ACF swapping the Cleric spell list for the Druid spell list.

That's the end of the Druidic debate. I feel this is a good way to give player options, still get the druid-y feel in there, and still remove the stupidly broken Druid class.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-09 at 04:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Bugbear in the Playground

I loled at "dead molten ball of failure".
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

29. - Top - End - #389

Alright, just a few more questions.
    Is it possible for an outsider to get integrated into the ecology of Xortal, hypothetically (especially in the case of druids)? Are there any humanoids aside from the Tasloi who have some small amount of culture in the heart of the woods? Trolls, wood elves, anything? Has The Green One ever manifested an avatar before? What form did it take? What is The Green One's true form? Has anyone explored Xortal before the modern expansion rush? If so, what happened to them? What is Zaaman-Rul's other spirit?

Also, would a True Druid prestige class (not actually mimicking the Druid class mechanics) be out of line? If not, expect one up soon.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-09 at 04:47 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

I just have to say that I love the idea of integrating the spellcasting part of the Druid with the Cleric.

Honestly, Druids usually make me think far too often of "bear people, rawr!" and not enough of the natural scholars and priests that historical druids actually were. Also, I would so much rather play a druid with some domains and spellcasting than a druid with animal companions and stuff.

Speaking of domains, are you going to be adding new ones in? It would be kind of cool to have a "neutral" domain, or a "Jungle" domain. Any thoughts?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show