New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I loled at "dead molten ball of failure".
    I did too, but seriously, Tholfa is a hellhole and no one should ever go there for any reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Alright, just a few more questions.
    Really?

Is it possible for an outsider to get integrated into the ecology of Xortal, hypothetically (especially in the case of druids)?
    Hypothetically speaking? I guess it'd be possible.

Are there any humanoids aside from the Tasloi who have some small amount of culture in the heart of the woods?
    Do you count Yuan-ti? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

Trolls, wood elves, anything?
    Trolls are a creature I'm still trying to find a place for in Z-R. Giants are, in general, gone. Trolls though, I dunno. They may be simple beasts.

No such thing as wood elves, by the by.

Has The Green One ever manifested an avatar before? What form did it take?
    Ok, remember, The Green One and its brethren are not deities, just deity-esque. They don't manifest avatars, since they're all ON the planet (and couldn't leave it if they wanted to). Their true forms are in Z-R. No need for avatars.

What is The Green One's true form?
    No one knows.

Has anyone explored Xortal before the modern expansion rush? If so, what happened to them?
    Yes, people have discovered Xortal in the past. Most folks didn't care about the discovery, since they had bigger issues (like other nations) to deal with. The reason for the Contention Wars was the 100 years of peace after the Shadowstar War. With 100 years of peace, the nations of the world could afford the time and resources to colonize a new continent.

What is Zaaman-Rul's other spirit?
    Unknown.

Also, would a True Druid prestige class (not actually mimicking the Druid class mechanics) be out of line? If not, expect one up soon.
    I... really don't know what it'd be about, but I guess you can go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Honestly, Druids usually make me think far too often of "bear people, rawr!" and not enough of the natural scholars and priests that historical druids actually were. Also, I would so much rather play a druid with some domains and spellcasting than a druid with animal companions and stuff.
    Agreed.

Speaking of domains, are you going to be adding new ones in? It would be kind of cool to have a "neutral" domain, or a "Jungle" domain. Any thoughts?
    I will be, yeah. If you've got ideas, shoot. For an example of a good template for making more domains), look here.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is there still room enough for me to join in?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Is there still room enough for me to join in?
    I welcome all feedback of any kind, Innis, at anytime. Especially from friends. What's on ya mind?

Also, if you're referring to the proposed PbP mentioned over the first few pages, well, that'll come *eventually*. Whenever I get around to finishing this damn project (probably looking at summer 2011).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #394

Not a whole lot, I try to keep it empty least it get to cluttered.

I'll chime in here soon enough though. And ya, I meant the game. I should still be alive by Summer 11.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Not a whole lot, I try to keep it empty least it get to cluttered.
    I hear that.

I'll chime in here soon enough though. And ya, I meant the game. I should still be alive by Summer 11.
    Well that's... delightfully put. Better be around for a whole lot longer than that, Innis.

6. - Top - End - #396

It is part of the Plan(TM) I won't derail the thread any further till I have some stuff to put up on the info itself.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

It is part of the Plan(TM) I won't derail the thread any further till I have some stuff to put up on the info itself.
    Good man. Also, yes! Feedbacks! Always appreciated! Remember, this thread is the introduction to the world. The next one will be the main mechanical thread (probably).

Also, look for Xortal tomorrow afternoon, and possibly a little tonight (doubtful). Life and whatnot.

8. - Top - End - #398

True Druid

"She remembers every word spoken, from the hero's oath to the baby's cry."
    Picture and quote from the Eternal Witness M:tG card.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast second level divine spells.
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Skills: Knowledge (Nature) 9 ranks, Survival 9 ranks
    Special: Must have the Animal Companion class feature.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Animal Companion, Warden of Nature (Summon Warrior)|-

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Blessings of Nature, Warden of Nature (Conscript Service)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Nature's Abundance, Unbind the Formula|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Aura of Life|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Power the Grid, Warden of Nature (Awaken Warrior)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Back to Nature, Rapid Growth|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Redirect Arcana|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Warden of Nature (Awaken Avatar)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Wild Sanctuary|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Eternal Shepard|-[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A True Druid gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Animal Companion: A True Druid's class levels stack with the levels of any other classes that provide an animal companion for the purposes of determining the abilities of the animal companion.

Blessings of Nature: The True Druid is known for their ability to spread magic amongst many people. Initiate druids believe that this practice is to allow the denizens of nature to defend themselves if endangered by those who would hunt nature. While this is partially true, there is another reason, known only to those who are masters of the Druidic Practice. The true reason that the druids exist is to help sustain the web of magical energy that allows life to live in Zaaman-Rul. However, it is incredibly difficult to integrate magic, as it is practiced by normal spellcasters of this time, into the ancient web of magic. To help young adepts adjust their magic to the Serpentes' web, the elders have created a practice of having them spread their magic among many others. This first crucial step is difficult to accomplish, but is one of the signature powers of druids as a whole. However, the power is limited. A True Druid may only share their magic with up to 1 person or animal per class level at a time. The True Druid may choose not to prepare any number of spell slots while preparing her spells during this ritual. For each spell sacrificed in this way, the True Druid may grant one of the creatures in the group meditation the ability to use a single druid spell as a spell-like ability of a level no greater than 1/2 the True Druid's class level. A creature cannot be bestowed with this ritual a number of spell-like abilities whose total spell level is greater than their hit dice. Spell-like abilities granted to a creature are cast at a caster level equal to the HD of the creature who uses the spell-like ability. If the spell-like ability is not used within 24 hours, it is lost.

Warden of Nature: The True Druid is a guardian of Nature, and as such, by rite of ancient pacts made by the original Druids, they are allowed to requisition the service of animals to aid them in their quests. Through the pacts, they may summon animals from all over Zaaman-Rul to aid them. They may spontaneously convert any spell slot into a Summon Nature's Ally of an equal or lower level. In addition, the casting time for the spell is reduced to one standard action.

At second level, the True Druid gains the ability to turn nearby animals into militia, if need be. They may use Charm Animal at will as a spell-like ability.

At 6th level, the True Druid gains the ability to weave the energy around them through living creatures, awakening their latent abilities, and turning them into better servants of nature. The True Druid the ability to use Awaken as a spell-like ability three times per day.

At 8th level, the True Druid gains the ability to weave energy through the earth so well that they can call forth a living manifestation of life on Zaaman-Rul. They may summon this Avatar of Nature as a full round action. When they do, a number of creatures equal to their class level may, as an immediate action, bond with the Avatar. The Avatar of Nature has the stats of a Tendriculous with HD equal to the True Druid's HD + 2 per each creature bonded with the Avatar. In addition, the Avatar's strength is increased by 2 for each bonded creature, and each bonded creature gets a +2 bonus to strength for as long as the Avatar is in existence. The Avatar appears at the beginning of your next turn in any space within 10ft of you per class level, and acts on your initiative as you designate. Directing it's movement is a free action.

The Avatar of Nature is immune to damage. If it would normally be dealt damage, instead divide that damage evenly amongst the druid and the bonded creatures and negate all damage dealt to the Avatar. Damage converted to nonlethal damage by means of the Avatar's Regeneration ability is dealt to the bonded creatures as nonlethal damage. When a bonded creature is knocked unconscious or killed, it is no longer treated as a bonded creature. As such, they lose the bonus to strength they got, and the Avatar's HD and Strength are decreased by 2 each. The Avatar is immune to all death effects, ability damage, ability drain, and negative levels. If the Druid who summoned the Avatar is knocked unconscious or killed, the Avatar disappears as if it was dismissed. The druid may dismiss the Avatar as a free action. The Avatar can only be summoned for a number of minutes each day equal to the druid's class level, in one-minute increments. For example, summoning the Avatar for 5 rounds counts as a full minute, and summoning it for 12 rounds counts as 2 minutes.

Nature's Abundance (Sp): At third level, the True Druid begins a common practice amongst druids: radiating waves of ambient energy into the air, generating energy to help sustain the Serpentes' grid. Even if the True Druid does not know the read purpose of the practice, she can still benefit from the results. Plants in the area are fortified with healing magic similar to the kind used in the Grid, albeit to a much lesser degree. In a natural setting, this manifests in the form to cast goodberry, as the spell, once once every minute as a swift action, with a duration of 1 minute/class level.

Unbind the Formula (Su): At third level, the True Druid begins learning basic exercises to convert magic from it's normal form into a form of energy to enhance the performance of an existing power structure. The most basic form of this is converting spells into sheer physical prowess. A number of times per day equal to 1/2 their class level, as a standard action, the True Druid may attempt to ignite some of the magic within a creature within 100ft. The True Druid makes an opposed caster level check with the recipient. If the True Druid wins the check, one random spell slot or spell-like ability of any level of the True Druid's choosing is expended as if cast. However, the creature whose spell is expended this way gets a +2 bonus/spell level to any of their stats, assigned as they choose. No stat may get more than a +6 bonus. For example, if a True Druid ignited a wizard's 7th level spell slot, the wizard might choose to gain a +6 bonus to intelligence, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +4 bonus to Dexterity. The bonus lasts a number of minutes equal to the target's caster level.

Aura of Life (Su): At 4th level, the True Druid's exercises with radiating magic have enhanced, granting those around them the ability to heal their wounds directly. Each ally within 30ft of the True Druid gains fast healing 1 as long as they are under 1/2 their max HP. Every 3 levels thereafter, the fast healing granted by this ability increases by one.

Power the Grid (Su): The True Druid is a protector of life on the planet. They constantly feed ambient natural energy into the Serpentes' grid of magical energy in Zaaman-Rul, but at 5th level, they learn to save both life in their immediate vicinity, and power the Serpentes' web at the same time. They are able to convert magic in the form of a spell being cast directly into energy to power the web. A number of times per day equal to 1+their charisma modifier, a True Druid may attempt to counter a spell cast as an immediate action (Expending a spell slot as normal). The druid makes an opposed caster level check, and if they succeed, the spell is countered as the Druid successfully disperses the energy from the spell into the Serpentes' spell web where it can aid life, rather than rampantly destroy it.

Back to Nature (Su): The True Druid, at 6th level, is able to siphon ambient magical effects into the spell web. They may, three time per day as a standard action, create a ripple of energy that relocates spell effects directly into the spell web. This manifests as causing each creature and object within 10ft/class level to be targeted by a Greater Dispel Magic effect (Caster level = your own caster level).

Rapid Growth (Su): The True Druid's practice of radiating magic energy to the outside world has once again reached a milestone. The energy radiated can now effect more than just accumulations of nutrients and living beings; it seeps into roots and causes plants to grow at unbelievable rates. As long as the True Druid is standing on shrubs or grass, a number of feet around him equal to 5* 1/2 his class level is treated as difficult terrain, as the energy around him causes plants to grow and animate slightly, wrapping around the feet of anyone in the area except for the druid. In addition, if the druid rests in one place for 8 hours or more, the area is affected as if by the enrichment effect of a Plant Growth spell.

Redirect Arcana: At 7th level, the True Druid has developed a connection into the spell web itself, and, if they were not previously aware of it, they are taught about it by the druid elders. With this personal bond to the spellweb, they have developed the ability to mimic some of the energy that they pour into it. When they use their Power the Grid class ability, they may choose to, as an extension, expend a spell slot of a level equal to the spell being countered. If they do, they may replicate the effect of the spell that they countered with the ability.

Wild Sanctuary (Su): At 8th level, the True Druid can create a small node within the Serpentes' spell weave large enough to allow small pockets of life to live in them. This area functions as an Antimagic zone, which extends 100ft outside of the node; the area around the sanctuary was designed as a power sink, causing all nearby magic to be sucked into the Serpentes' weave. Inside of the node, which appears to be a 25ft diameter sphere, there is an extradimensional space which houses life. This extradimensional space is a sphere with a 1,000ft diameter housed within the Serpentes' spell. The inside of this area is Strongly Neutral aligned. In addition, all non-druidic magic counts as impeded magic, and all druidic spells cast within the area are empowered. The created node, aside from protecting natural life, is filled with natural magic, much of which is used to sustain the web. While within the area, creatures gain fast healing 3, and the grass grows at a spectacular rate, allowing a nearly unlimited supply of food. In addition, while with the area, all living creatures benefit from a Sanctuary effect, except that no will save is allowed to ignore the effect. This effect ends as soon as a creature leaves the node. The True Druid may make a node once every month in a special hour-long ritual that requires rare herbs and incense worth 3,000gp. Nodes, however, cause a bit of strain on the Serpentes' web. A True Druid may only have one node active at one time. Once this node is created, the True Druid cannot make any more unless the active node is somehow destroyed.

Eternal Shepard (Ex): At 10th level, the True Druid has achieved perfect harmony with nature. At thus point, a True Druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, as normal. However, the Druid no longer has a maximum age category, and, whenever they die, they are reincarnated, as the spell, within 1 week of death. In addition, they may use Suggestion at will as a spell-like ability, but it only effects plant creatures, animals, and magical beasts.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-13 at 04:41 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

True Druid

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast second level divine spells.
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Skills: Knowledge (Nature) 9 ranks, Survival 9 ranks
    Special: Must have the Animal Companion class feature.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8
    Ok, fine.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Animal Companion, Call of the Wild (4th)|-

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Blessings of Nature, Warden of Nature (Conscript Service)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Nature's Abundance, Ignite Arcana, Call of the Wild (5th)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Warden of Nature (Second Companion), Aura of Life|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Call of the Wild (6th), Power the Grid, Warden of Nature (Awaken Warrior)|-

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Back to Nature, Rapid Growth|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Call of the Wild (7th), Redirect Arcana, Warden of Nature (Third Companion)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Cultivate Ecosystem, Warden of Nature (Awaken Avatar)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Cultivate the Forest, Call of the Wild (8th)|-

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Eternal Shepard, Call of the Wild (9th), Warden of Nature (Fourth Companion)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class[/table]
    I am immediately concerned, due to this having at MINIMUM two special features per level, and 7/10 casting. That's a potential issue. Let's see where it goes.

Call of the Wild (Sp): A True Druid is in tune with the magics of the land, and shares a bond with it's creatures. A number of times per day equal to 3+the True Druid's Cha modifier, a True Druid can use Summon Nature's ally IV instead. At third level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally V instead instead. At Fifth level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally VI instead. At Seventh level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally VI instead. At Ninth level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally VIII instead. At 10th level, they can use Summon Nature's Ally IX instead. This ability takes a standard action to activate.
    Instead of what? Also, you broke the scheme when you didn't skip a level in-between SNA8 and SNA9. That annoys me somewhat. I'd prefer you started a level higher or didn't give SNA9. Breaking patterns like that looks sloppy.

Animal Companion: A True Druid's class levels stack with the levels of any other classes that provide an animal companion for the purposes of determining the abilities of the animal companion.
    Wary, but ok. Someone's gotta be the pet class, right?

Blessings of Nature: The True Druid is known for their ability to spread magic amongst many people. Initiate druids believe that this practice is to allow the denizens of nature to defend themselves if endangered by those who would hunt nature. While this is partially true, there is another reason, known only to those who are masters of the Druidic Practice. The true reason that the druids exist is to help sustain the web of magical energy that allows life to live in Zaaman-Rul. However, it is incredibly difficult to integrate magic, as it is practiced by normal spellcasters of this time, into the ancient web of magic. To help young adepts adjust their magic to the Serpentes' web, the elders have created a practice of having them spread their magic among many others. This first crucial step is difficult to accomplish, but is one of the signature powers of druids as a whole. However, the power is limited. A True Druid may only share their magic with up to 1 person or animal per class level at a time. The True Druid may choose not to prepare any number of spell slots while preparing her spells during this ritual. For each spell sacrificed in this way, the True Druid may grant one of the creatures in the group meditation the ability to use a single druid spell as a spell-like ability of a level no greater than 1/2 the True Druid's class level. A creature cannot be bestowed with this ritual a number of spell-like abilities whose total spell level is greater than their hit dice. Spell-like abilities granted to a creature are cast at a caster level equal to the HD of the creature who uses the spell-like ability. If the spell-like ability is not used within 24 hours, it is lost.
    This is lolmazing, seriously. Giving other people spells, while retaining your animal companion and all your other features, is REALLY REALLY GOOD. Frankly, I'd call this too easily broken, and would suggest it goes away.

Warden of Nature: The True Druid is a guardian of Nature, and as such, is allowed to requisition the service of local animals to aid them in their quests. At second level, the True Druid may use Charm Animal at will as a spell-like ability.
    Coolio.

At fourth level, the True Druid is allowed to ask Nature to grant them a second animal companion. However, each animal companion that the True Druid possesses abilities as if the True Druid was three levels less in the class that would grant the animal companion than they actually are. At 7th leve, and again at 10th level, they gain the ability to obtain another animal companion in this manner.
    Also broken. Having up to FOUR animal companions, three of which are as a character of your level-3, is absurdly powerful. What's worse is that combo'd with the Blessings of Nature ability, you can give all of them spell-like abilities and be the Ringmaster.

Further, there is a legitimate concern about time taken to play your turns. Given that you're now FIVE individuals (not counting summons), this is an issue.

At 6th level, the True Druid gains the ability to use Awaken as a spell-like ability three times per day.
    Ok, can't think of any issues here.

At 8th level, the True Druid gains the ability to summon an Avatar of Nature with a number of other creatures up to their class level as a full-round action (Only the druid takes the action. The others just need to consent to taking part in the ritual). The Avatar takes the form of a Tendriculous with a number of hit dice equal to the druid's character level + 2 per each other creature involved in the ritual, with a bonus to their strength equal to 2 per creature in the ritual. It appears at the start of the druid's next turn and acts on their initiative. However, the Avatar is dealt damage in a unique way. When it would normally take damage, instead divide the damage evenly amongst the participants of the ritual (damage converted to nonlethal damage through means of the Avatar's regeneration is dealt to the participant as nonlethal damage.). The druid may dismiss the Avatar as a free action. The Avatar can only be summoned for a number of minutes each day equal to the druid's class level, in one-minute increments. For example, summoning the Avatar for 5 rounds counts as a full minute, and summoning it for 12 rounds counts as 2 minutes.
    Needs more definition, like, a lot more. What happens when a critter in the Avatar dies? Are the component creatures able to be active while the avatar is about? When the Avatar dies, what happens? Does that nonlethal damage go away?

Nature's Abundance (Sp): At third level, the True Druid begins a common practice amongst druids: radiating waves of ambient energy into the air, generating energy to help sustain the Serpentes' grid. Even if the True Druid does not know the read purpose of the practice, she can still benefit from the results. Plants in the area are fortified with healing magic similar to the kind used in the Grid, albeit to a much lesser degree. In a natural setting, this manifests in the form to cast goodberry, as the spell, once once every minute as a swift action, with a duration of 1 minute/class level.
    Flavorful and appropriate. A real winner.

Ignite Arcana (Su): At third level, the True Druid begins learning basic exercises to convert magic from it's normal form into a form of energy to enhance the performance of an existing power structure. The most basic form of this is converting spells into sheer physical prowess. A number of times per day equal to 1/2 their class level, as a standard action, the True Druid may attempt to ignite some of the magic within a creature within 100ft. The True Druid makes an opposed caster level check with the recipient. If the True Druid wins the check, one spell slot or spell-like ability of any level of the True Druid's choosing is expended as if cast. However, the creature whose spell is expended this way gets a +2 bonus/spell level to any of their stats, assigned as they choose. No stat may get more than a +6 bonus. For example, if a True Druid ignited a wizard's 7th level spell slot, the wizard might choose to gain a +6 bonus to intelligence, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +4 bonus to Dexterity. The bonus lasts a number of minutes equal to the target's caster level.
    I... don't get why this ability exists. What's the point? The flavor makes little sense, the ability itself is fine, but it feels out of place.

Also, I dislike that the character gets to choose what's purged. That's bad against opponents ("oh, Mr. BBEG Wizard Guy, guess what? You lose your best spell in exchange for some stat buffs! Haha!")

Alsoalso, what kind of bonus is it?

Aura of Life (Su): At 4th level, the True Druid's exercises with radiating magic have enhanced, granting those around them the ability to heal their wounds directly. Each ally within 30ft of the True Druid gains fast healing 1 as long as they are under 1/2 their max HP. Every 3 levels thereafter, the fast healing granted by this ability increases by one.
    So, the Dragon Shaman ability? Looks good, though I was saving auras for the Warlord (who is getting a similar one). Seems fine.

Power the Grid (Su): The True Druid is a protector of life on the planet. They constantly feed ambient natural energy into the Serpentes' grid of magical energy in Zaaman-Rul, but at 5th level, they learn to save both life in their immediate vicinity, and power the Serpentes' web at the same time. They are able to convert magic in the form of a spell being cast directly into energy to power the web. A number of times per day equal to 1+their charisma modifier, a True Druid may attempt to counter a spell cast as an immediate action. The druid makes an opposed caster level check, and if they succeed, the spell is countered as the Druid successfully disperses the energy from the spell into the Serpentes' spell web where it can aid life, rather than rampantly destroy it.
    This should be indicated to actually use a spell from the True Druid's spells/day, as per a normal counter attempt, since such isn't clear. Otherwise, I like it.

Back to Nature (Su): The True Druid, at 6th level, is able to siphon ambient magical effects into the spell web. They may, three time per day as a standard action, create a ripple of energy that relocates spell effects directly into the spell web. This manifests as causing each creature and object within 10ft/class level to be targeted by a Greater Dispel Magic effect (Caster level = your own caster level).
    This should be noted to affect yourself as well.

Rapid Growth (Su): The True Druid's practice of radiating magic energy to the outside world has once again reached a milestone. The energy radiated can now effect more than just accumulations of nutrients and living beings; it seeps into roots and causes plants to grow at unbelievable rates. As long as the True Druid is standing on shrubs or grass, a number of feet around him equal to 5* 1/2 his class level is treated as difficult terrain, as the energy around him causes plants to grow and animate slightly, wrapping around the feet of anyone in the area except for the druid. In addition, if the druid rests in one place for 8 hours or more, the area is affected as if by the enrichment effect of a Plant Growth spell.
    Also good.

Redirect Arcana: At 7th level, the True Druid has developed a connection into the spell web itself, and, if they were not previously aware of it, they are taught about it by the druid elders. With this personal bond to the spellweb, they have developed the ability to mimic some of the energy that they pour into it. When they use their Power the Grid class ability, they may choose to, as an extension, expend a spell slot of a level equal to the spell being countered. If they do, they may replicate the effect of the spell that they countered with the ability.
    ...eeeeeeh. This can be abused with a party, thanks to Divine Metamagic, which could be argued to work here. I don't like it.

Cultivate Ecosystem (Su): At 8th level, the True Druid begins to master the highest form of magic, according to the druidic order: To create a smaller version of the Serpentes' web in a limited area. While it is as of yet incomplete, they can begin to make a small web of energy within the Serpentes' grid that will bolster the life within it. In addition, they gain the ability to direct, aid, and enhance nature inside of the area, to further the power of the sub-grid within the area. They may make such an area 1/month, in an hour-long ritual, which creates an ecosystem with a radius of 60ft. This radius increases by 10ft every week, up to a maximum of 1 mile. A True Druid may only have three of these areas active at one time; when this ability is activated an additional time, the longest-standing Ecosystem is destroyed, and a new one is created in it's place. Plants within the area are treated as animated, as per Animate Objects, but do not gain a move speed. All animals, plant creatures, and magical beasts in the area gain a +4 bonus to strength and constitution. In addition, to regulate the state of matters inside of it, each creature who gains these bonuses are treated as charmed, as per charm animals, except that they do not get a saving throw, and the effect lasts as long as they are within the area.

Cultivate the Forest (Su): At 8th level, the True Druid gains the ability to weave a stronger pseudo-spellgrid. By connecting animal and plant life, the pseudo-grid is a linked web of all life, and it sustains itself while in the area. Once per month, a druid can create one of these. However, the energy within it is so great that it cannot be contained, and the druid is unable to regulate the creatures inside. This functions as the Cultivate the Ecosystem class power, except that creatures inside are not treated as charmed. However, while the druid is unable to regulate life within the area, they are able to keep unbalanced life out of it. This area is treated as under an Antipathy spell, targeting creatures with an alignment other than True Neutral. In addition, the DC of every druid spell cast within the area is increased by 2.
    Absolutely not. Replace them.

Eternal Shepard (Ex): At 10th level, the True Druid has achieved perfect harmony with nature. At thus point, a True Druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, as normal. However, the Druid no longer has a maximum age category, and, whenever they die, they are reincarnated, as the spell, within 1 week of death. In addition, they may use Suggestion at will as a spell-like ability, but it only effects plant creatures, animals, and magical beasts. In addition, they may create up to 5 Ecosystems now, although they can still only create three forests.
    Other than the bit discussing the class features that are going to be removed, I actually quite like this capstone.

Overall thoughts: The class is schizophrenic. I get two vibes: "I want to be like the 3.5 Druid" and "I want to be a nature-based magic user who interacts with magic like a wizard". Of the two, I feel that the second has more support in the class (Power the Grid, Redirect Arcana, Back to Nature) and works better with the fluff, and I'd personally suggest you shift the class in that direction some more. It's a good core and a good concept, just needs some tweaking.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Also broken. Having up to FOUR animal companions, three of which are as a character of your level-3, is absurdly powerful. What's worse is that combo'd with the Blessings of Nature ability, you can give all of them spell-like abilities and be the Ringmaster.

Further, there is a legitimate concern about time taken to play your turns. Given that you're now FIVE individuals (not counting summons), this is an issue.
    I agree with most of the rest of your points, but have you ever heard of the Beastmaster class? It is in Complete Adventurer. Gives you four animal companions, full BAB, and some terribad abilities (Seriously. It gets Alertness, Wild Empathy, Low-light Vision, and Speak with animals as more than half of its class features. ).

It is only good because it has so many animal companions. The character itself is very weak, and so are most of the animal companions, since they function in the exact same way as with this class.

The True Druid seems to have a fine chassis, but the abilities need some toning down and reworking to fit the theme.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-10 at 11:28 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with most of the rest of your points, but have you ever heard of the Beastmaster class? It is in Complete Adventurer. Gives you four animal companions, full BAB, and some terribad abilities (Seriously. It gets Alertness, Wild Empathy, Low-light Vision, and Speak with animals as more than half of its class features. ).
    The Beastmaster, as I recall, also can't grant its animal companions SLAs, nor does it advance casting.

It's the combination of casting, ACs, and other stuff that makes me go "uh... WUT".

The True Druid seems to have a fine chassis, but the abilities need some toning down and reworking to fit the theme.
    Agreed.

12. - Top - End - #402

I am immediately concerned, due to this having at MINIMUM two special features per level, and 7/10 casting. That's a potential issue. Let's see where it goes.
    On the other hand, the highest level spell you can get is 7th level, as you had to have at least a 1-level ranger dip to actually get the companion. But I see your point.
    Instead of what? Also, you broke the scheme when you didn't skip a level in-between SNA8 and SNA9. That annoys me somewhat. I'd prefer you started a level higher or didn't give SNA9. Breaking patterns like that looks sloppy.
    Sorry, for the first few abilities, I was just out of it. I'll go fix that...
    Actually, I'll probably just scrap Call of the Wild in general.
    This is lolmazing, seriously. Giving other people spells, while retaining your animal companion and all your other features, is REALLY REALLY GOOD. Frankly, I'd call this too easily broken, and would suggest it goes away.
    So, giving some other people the ability to cast a couple of your spells is that good? You lose the slots yourself, and there is a cap on how many spells you can give, and the highest level slot. But I can see your point... perhaps take away the extra companions, and make it so that the recipient needs a high wisdom to cast the SLAs, too.
    Ah. I intended it to be that for each animal companion, each of them get an additional character level -3. So, if you had 4, they would all be character level -12.
    Yeah, I can see that now. And, if the animal companions were really character level -12, that would really abuse the mechanics of the Blessings of Nature ability... perhaps just limiting it to 2 companions, at most, as a 5th level feature. Nah, I'll just take it away.

Needs more definition, like, a lot more. What happens when a critter in the Avatar dies? Are the component creatures able to be active while the avatar is about? When the Avatar dies, what happens? Does that nonlethal damage go away?
    Yeah, as previously stated, I was out of it... I'll go try to clear up the wording.

I... don't get why this ability exists. What's the point? The flavor makes little sense, the ability itself is fine, but it feels out of place.
    It was supposed to go with the Blessings of Nature ability, for one thing. You give the party fighter some SLAs, and then you could turn them into stat buffs if they were appropriate. Fluff was essentially that redirecting spell energy throughout a body was a transitional step between moving spell energy around and emanating it and altering energy from a spell in use or an active spell.
    Also, I dislike that the character gets to choose what's purged. That's bad against opponents ("oh, Mr. BBEG Wizard Guy, guess what? You lose your best spell in exchange for some stat buffs! Haha!")
    Ah, sorry. I meant to make it one random spell of a level you select. Perhaps also add in a bonus to the other character's check equal to the level of the spell slot.
    Alsoalso, what kind of bonus is it?
    Untyped.
    This should be indicated to actually use a spell from the True Druid's spells/day, as per a normal counter attempt, since such isn't clear. Otherwise, I like it.

This should be noted to affect yourself as well.
    Alright, I'll clarify that.
    ...eeeeeeh. This can be abused with a party, thanks to Divine Metamagic, which could be argued to work here. I don't like it.
    I'll make a note that the spell cannot be altered by metamagic (sudden or divine).

Absolutely not. Replace them.
    Alright, what would you suggest to replace them? Found a good replacement...
    Overall thoughts: The class is schizophrenic. I get two vibes: "I want to be like the 3.5 Druid" and "I want to be a nature-based magic user who interacts with magic like a wizard". Of the two, I feel that the second has more support in the class (Power the Grid, Redirect Arcana, Back to Nature) and works better with the fluff, and I'd personally suggest you shift the class in that direction some more. It's a good core and a good concept, just needs some tweaking.
    Alright, I'll try to work on that.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-11 at 12:31 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

The Beastmaster, as I recall, also can't grant its animal companions SLAs, nor does it advance casting.
    That is because it can be taken by anyone. If it were focused on druids, then it likely would have advanced casting, and would still be a weak prestige class. Also, giving someone SLA isn't altogether that powerful. There was a PrC in a contest a while back that gave its animal companion and summons SLAs from its spell slots, and although it was toned back (actually, it was toned back to roughly the True Druids level of power), it was considered not the most powerful. SLAs are only useful if they are at will, in this case. If you are spending an action in order to give another creature the ability to spend an action for a spell, you are probably better off saving your action and just casting the spell and letting the animal do what they want.

As for the spell casting, for this class, you kind of have to think of it like a Theurge, but with one half gone. The entry requirements need a ranger, pretty much, even if it is only one level. Then, the class itself loses 3 casting levels. That means that the class will only ever have 7th level spells. Period. So, honestly, this is going to be Tier 3, just from the Chassis, at most. The other abilities might get a bit out of hand, but that is pretty sound.

It's the combination of casting, ACs, and other stuff that makes me go "uh... WUT".
    Again, the casting will only leave you with 7th level spells. Since there is no "Minor Miracle" that druids can use, it is honestly pretty balanced. If it were full casting, I would have to agree with you.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well I hate to be the voice of anti-animal-companionship here, but guns v.s. animals = dead animals. Maybe not in DnD mechanics, but in real life, so having a class with animals companions in a setting high tech battle suits from Intolar kinda stretches the willing suspension of disbelief when your bear can kill a trooper in armor armed with an assault rifle.

Just saying, animal companions aren't a very effective fighting force in today's combat engagements so I doubt they'd do better in the future's.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    Well I hate to be the voice of anti-animal-companionship here, but guns v.s. animals = dead animals. Maybe not in DnD mechanics, but in real life, so having a class with animals companions in a setting high tech battle suits from Intolar kinda stretches the willing suspension of disbelief when your bear can kill a trooper in armor armed with an assault rifle.

Just saying, animal companions aren't a very effective fighting force in today's combat engagements so I doubt they'd do better in the future's.
    ...What? Beasts fortified by magic in such a way that they have supernatural resilience and magical abilities are automatically killed by people with guns from Intolar? What about normal humans without the suit? They are even less protected against the weapons than animals animal companions are, yet you don't mention a guy in a suit of plate mail going toe-to-toe with these guys and winning. But it happens. Also, in most parts of the world, the Intolar battlesuits are unavailable, and animals are, believe it or not, better soldiers than most NPCs. It also makes more sense for a rhinoceros or a bear to break apart an Intolar suit than a human.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vs

Which is more likely to take down a man in a battlesuit?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-11 at 10:40 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    Well, D&D has never been all that realistic. In a world where a dude wearing some metal and swinging about a 4-ft piece of steel that's also on fire can take out (without massive injury) giants and eldritch monsters, I really don't think that a magical bear stands a bad chance against a guy in some power armor.

We also lack magic, magitech, cybernetic enhancements, the ability to tell physics to go **** itself, and some other good stuff that these people have.

Don't worry that hard about it man.

Also, Xortal Religion coming up shortly, guaranteed.

EDIT: DM, the guy with the longbow, actually. Given that composite longbows changed the face of warfare in our world, they still probably rule the battlefield in Z-R (snipers don't exist yet on a reasonable scale). But, your point is well made.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-12 at 11:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, Xortal Religion has been posted. It's a short section, so don't expect much. Also, I'm having trouble referring to The Green One properly. The mind wants to call it a deity or god, but that's not factually correct. I need more precise words. Dammit English, why must you fail so hard at this?

Also, look, some pictures, to help you grasp the world thematically! First, the Qualnargan, so you can get a feel for what they look like:
    Spoiler
    Show

Note: these are all stolen from CthulhuTech's Tagers, names and everything. They're just so... perfect for what I have in mind.

Name: Revenant
    Powers: Unknown. Assumed to involve melee combat.

Name: Phantasm
    Powers: Deception and spying.

Name: Memory
    Powers: Unknown. Believed to be a spellcaster.

Name: Inferno
    Powers: Fire control and massive magical ability.

Name: Impulse
    Powers: Melee brute. Seems to be unkillable.

Name: Horror
    Powers: Anything that looks upon Horror dies. Reason unknown.

Name: Efreet
    Powers: As Inferno. Believed to be related in some fashion.

Name: Dream
    Powers: Unknown. Assumed to be capable of flight.

Next up are the Khavghotani, since I don't think I posted all these yet. These are archetypical members of their respective species.
    Spoiler
    Show

Note: Most of these are D&D pics. I'm repurposing them for my needs.

Varag

Tasloi

Orog

Ogre

Kobold. I love the aesthetic in this image.

Ibixian

Hobgoblin, NOT BUGBEAR (which don't exist)

Goblin

Gnoll

Now, a few random pics I've acquired over time.
    Spoiler
    Show

What's relevant here is the spire itself. That is what the Orlyndolian spire cities look like. Now, imagine that, but the size of the world's tallest building (the Burj Khalifa in Dubai).

The forests of Xortal, with the ancient citadel of the Serpentes at its heart. Deep in the earth below that citadel sleeps The Green One, waiting for the apocalyptic events required to wake it from slumber.

This is a Khavghotani castle. The weather is the big key here. Khavghotan looks like that ALL THE TIME. Ignore the tree, by the by. No picture I acquire is perfect for what I want. I'm still looking for a great image of the Edge to show you after all.

A prototype Intolian flight suit. The suit is obviously unfinished and not ready for the war effort yet, but they're working on it.

If you guys like these sorts of image dumps, I can do more in the future as I find images.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-12 at 03:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408

Here's how I would reference The Green One: Pseudo-deity or proto-deity. Questions will be up later. True Druid editing is done now; feedback would be nice.

Also, those pics are very epic. Where'd you get them? (Especially the landscape ones...)
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-12 at 05:34 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Here's how I would reference The Green One: Pseudo-deity or proto-deity. Questions will be up later. True Druid editing is done now; feedback would be nice.
    Will take a look tomorrow probably.

Also, pseudo-deity sounds functional.

Also, those pics are very epic. Where'd you get them? (Especially the landscape ones...)
    ...the internet? Sorry, I actually don't even know.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

@Pics: The Qualnargan pics were beautiful. Like, absolutely amazing. Everything else also looks good.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-12 at 06:12 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411

One question: When are you going to post the base classes for Zaaman-Rul?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, Xortal Religion has been posted. It's a short section, so don't expect much. Also, I'm having trouble referring to The Green One properly. The mind wants to call it a deity or god, but that's not factually correct. I need more precise words. Dammit English, why must you fail so hard at this?
    You've already referred to it as a world spirit, why not continue to use that?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

One question: When are you going to post the base classes for Zaaman-Rul?
    Thread 2: Thread Harder.

@Dire Ferret: Also a good idea. May just do that.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    Fixed that for you.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Fixed that for you.
    FAILURE!

I use the Die Hard scheme of naming sequels:
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2: Die Harder
    Die Hard with a Vengeance
    Live Free Or Die Hard
    etc...

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

FAILURE!

I use the Die Hard scheme of naming sequels:
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 2: Die Harder
    Die Hard with a Vengeance
    Live Free Or Die Hard
    etc...
    So; Thread 1.

Thread 3: Thread with a vengeance.

Thread 4: Live Free, Thread Hard.

What about thread 5?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

So; Thread 1.

Thread 3: Thread with a vengeance.

Thread 4: Live Free, Thread Hard.

What about thread 5?
    I start making stuff up at that point. Perhaps 5 will be Electric Boogaloo.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

I was just checking the CoolVibe stuff, and I found this picture. It almost seemed like what orlyndal would make for a settlement in Xortal.

Spoiler
    Show

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

I was just checking the CoolVibe stuff, and I found this picture. It almost seemed like what orlyndal would make for a settlement in Xortal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good image. I actually like that more as what Orlyndol itself looks like (sans the structures in the background). Great aid, there.

The Orlyndolians in their settlement of Zurthu in Xortal built a small spire city on the coast line, and have been working on tunneling out the ground beneath it for their servants and food production. So far, burrowing creatures and underground fungi have been giving them fits.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Good image. I actually like that more as what Orlyndol itself looks like (sans the structures in the background). Great aid, there.

The Orlyndolians in their settlement of Zurthu in Xortal built a small spire city on the coast line, and have been working on tunneling out the ground beneath it for their servants and food production. So far, burrowing creatures and underground fungi have been giving them fits.
    Just some ideas. I am probably going to continue looking through CoolVibe.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show