New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Thread 2: Thread Harder.
    So... why is there a mechanics section in each nation in this thread, then? I'm just saying that it would be nice to get some mechanical things to critique from time to time, and getting a break from the fluff. And when the new thread comes around, people will probably also want breaks from mechanics, and posting finished classes early might offset some of it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Just some ideas. I am probably going to continue looking through CoolVibe.
    Already ahead of you. Here, have more images I feel work well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, ignore the flying ship and the pit of lava this is sitting in. The city itself is what I'm pulling from here. This is basically what the Intolian capital city, Intolar, looks like. Massive, imposing, technological, shining.

Welcome to Theactgkatic, the largest city in Zaaman-Rul.

The background is the key. That's what the environment of Northwind looks like. The face in the mountain? Less so.

This is the containment web for Tharkrixghantix, like, perfectly.

EDIT:
    @DM: Because I was retarded early on, basically. I have mechanically sections here because I originally planned this thread to be everything all at once forever. However, that's... untenable, at best. I felt that a new thread might be good for mechanical work. I'll probably start that thread sooner than later, and before this one is over. I've been working on the Monk, the Shadow, the Juggernaut, and the Savant for some time now, and while none are finished (the Dead Magic project is eating a lot of effort atm, and is growing ever more labyrinthine), I can still get them up soonish.

EDIT2: I understand the desire to critique mechanics, I really do, but I tend to work in one frame of mind at a time. I've been trying to swap back and forth for awhile now, and I feel like it's been a detriment to this project, as I try to get things ready behind the scenes for the second thread to go live. For instance, I've been working on the Qualnargan for awhile now, and let me tell you, they're an ugly chestnut to crack. I've got a long way to go with them yet. So, yeah, cause I ****ed up when I started this thread.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-12 at 10:42 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any desert like places in this setting? Or is it all forest, jungle, water, snow, and mountain?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any desert like places in this setting? Or is it all forest, jungle, water, snow, and mountain?
    Well, Khavghotan is tundra, which is technically a desert, but I know what you're actually asking. No, there are no hot deserts in Z-R.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Khavghotan is tundra, which is technically a desert, but I know what you're actually asking. No, there are no hot deserts in Z-R.
    Huh. Well, that limits things, I guess.

[Edit]: Are there any stone giants or stone constructs, or stone elementals, possibly in Xortal? I found some really cool images for ancient stone golems in jungles and forests, and they would seem to be perfect.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-12 at 10:49 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Well, that limits things, I guess.

[Edit]: Are there any stone giants or stone constructs, or stone elementals, possibly in Xortal? I found some really cool images for ancient stone golems in jungles and forests, and they would seem to be perfect.
    Well, I didn't envision any, but let's have a look at the image, and I'll see what I can figure out. Good images should always try to be accommodated, at least until I strike it rich and get some artists to do the work I really want done.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I didn't envision any, but let's have a look at the image, and I'll see what I can figure out. Good images should always try to be accommodated, at least until I strike it rich and get some artists to do the work I really want done.
    Spoiler
    Show

These are the ones I found. There are definitely more, and I will have to go check my document of good fantasy images.

[Edit]:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-12 at 10:58 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428

EDIT:
    @DM: Because I was retarded early on, basically. I have mechanically sections here because I originally planned this thread to be everything all at once forever. However, that's... untenable, at best. I felt that a new thread might be good for mechanical work. I'll probably start that thread sooner than later, and before this one is over. I've been working on the Monk, the Shadow, the Juggernaut, and the Savant for some time now, and while none are finished (the Dead Magic project is eating a lot of effort atm, and is growing ever more labyrinthine), I can still get them up soonish.
    Dead magic project?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Dead magic project?
    Uh... yeah. I had another thread recently, about Quirks (level 1 feats). You can find it through my signature. At some point, I created a feat called Dead Magic, that made a character immune to magic (it's more complex than that, but that's the gist of it). Djinn and I talked about the concept, and agreed that it was beyond the scope of a feat to handle, so I decided to revamp the concept and make an entire "system" of 3.5 that was dedicated to the magicless character concept. So far, I'm up to revamping alchemy, poison, equipment, and crafting three base classes. It's... a large project.

Luckily, I have part of the gear thing down. The classes are the tricky part. I want them each to do something unique, while still being useful to a magic-using party, and working well with each other. The Dead Magic Project has almost become an affront to my ability as a homebrewer, and I'm dedicated to making it work. Unfortunately, it's eating my Z-R work time.

10. - Top - End - #430

Uh... yeah. I had another thread recently, about Quirks (level 1 feats). You can find it through my signature. At some point, I created a feat called Dead Magic, that made a character immune to magic (it's more complex than that, but that's the gist of it). Djinn and I talked about the concept, and agreed that it was beyond the scope of a feat to handle, so I decided to revamp the concept and make an entire "system" of 3.5 that was dedicated to the magicless character concept. So far, I'm up to revamping alchemy, poison, equipment, and crafting three base classes. It's... a large project.

Luckily, I have part of the gear thing down. The classes are the tricky part. I want them each to do something unique, while still being useful to a magic-using party, and working well with each other. The Dead Magic Project has almost become an affront to my ability as a homebrewer, and I'm dedicated to making it work. Unfortunately, it's eating my Z-R work time.
    That one feat started all that?!?
    And I was hoping for some necromancy of some kind...
    Also, possible pic for an Intolian city:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

That one feat started all that?!?
    And I was hoping for some necromancy of some kind...
    Also, possible pic for an Intolian city:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm dedicated.

Also, good image. I like it a great deal.

Ok, look for Xortal's completion later today, and The Edge's beginning as well.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

GENTLEMEN! An absurd image dump approaches. This one covers every continent and region of the world, The Edge and The Lattice included (though the latter only gets one image, sorry, best I could do). With this image dump, everything has been represented multiple times (Lattice excluded). Included are even a pair of images of two of Z-R's three world spirits, The Green One and Nidhoggir, the Death Beast (who will be explained later; we are not taking questions at this time). With all that said, let's get to it. There's 25 images here, by the by, and some are quite large, so be careful with your internet connection.

Spoiler
    Show

General:

This represents a possible method of airship docking in Khavghotan and Intolar. Nowhere has such a castle, though.

This is Zaaman-Rul. It's not the best picture ever, but it's pretty close to what I want. A little less fire, and a little less "perfectly cut in two", and we're closer. Still, this should give you the proper frame of reference.

This is how we got to the above. Should be self-explanatory.

The Spirit Wind:

While invisible to mortals, I thought these images (from the Hubble Space Telescope, actually) would help you envision the Spirit Wind and what it might look like to travel along it.

Alykandorian:

This is a typical spell-duel between an elf and a construct. Ignore the devastation, that's not typical. The fight is the important bit though.

This is an Alykandorian working-class golem. It's... exactly what it sounds like.

Ignore the file-name. I wasn't sure what to call it, so I called it Northwind 2. This is actually an image of the northern coast of the isle of Sorana, with its breathtaking falls and fine mountains. Sorana is a peaceful, and beautiful, place.

Intolar:

Now, unosarta, I said there are no hot deserts in Z-R, and that statement holds true. These are the landscape of Intolar, and it's not warm. Instead, the coloration is due to the short reddish-brown grass that covers the land. The soil also possesses a high iron content, thus colorizing everything. Here we see the land of Humanity, the earth that shaped them so.

Khavghotan:

This is Thijis, the city-state of the hobgoblins. It's not perfect, but it's close to what I wanted, very much built into the ground and somewhat enclosed around the top by the land (see: the mountains in the background).

This is Jor'koth, the home of the orogs. You can even see their airships in the image! The city isn't quite right, but it works well enough I guess. I like the earlier picture of Jor'koth I gave (in the Khavghotan post, IIRC), but this is a better image of a docking spire.

Northwind:

Not much to say here. Welcome to Northwind. Prepare to freeze and die.

Xortal:

This is Xortal (ignore the spaceship, if you'd be so kind). You can see an obvious harshness to the land, something that separates it from Orlyndol, despite the similar environment.

Orlyndol:

Speaking of, here's the home of the Illithids. Not much to say about it.

The Lattice:

This is The Lattice. Nothing else to be said here until we get to The Lattice.

Tharkrixghantix:

This is the Great Hall of The Ancestors in Tharkrixghantix, where the dragons inscribe the names of all those of their number that have fallen to either foe or age. This has never been seen by mortals, but I thought it might be nice to give you an image of their world. Ignore the jackal statues though.

The Edge:

Ignoring anywhere with daylight, anything moving around, and that none of the above have the proper sky, this is about right. The Edge is a desolate, blasted hellscape, with nothing much there. Lava is constantly flowing across it, reshaping the land as it goes, since much of The Edge is exposed to the mantle of Z-R. These are about as close as I've come yet to what I really want as far as the Edge is concerned.

The World Spirits:

This is Nidhoggier, the Death Beast. It will be discussed at length at a later date (to be determined). It's... exactly what it looks like. Btw, that guy is ****ed.

This is The Green One, or at least what it would look like, if it ever awoke. I remember DM had some questions as to what it looked like. Here's your answer.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Let's take another look... shall we?
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Animal Companion|-

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Blessings of Nature, Warden of Nature (Conscript Service)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Nature's Abundance, Unbind the Formula|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Aura of Life|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Power the Grid, Warden of Nature (Awaken Warrior)|-

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Back to Nature, Rapid Growth|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Redirect Arcana, Warden of Nature (Third Companion)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Warden of Nature (Awaken Avatar)|+1 level existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Wild Sanctuary, Call of the Wild (8th)|-

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Eternal Shepard, Call of the Wild (9th), |+1 level existing divine spellcasting class[/table]
    Ok, this looks lighter, but more focused. So far, fine.

Animal Companion: A True Druid's class levels stack with the levels of any other classes that provide an animal companion for the purposes of determining the abilities of the animal companion.
    Good, good.

Blessings of Nature: The True Druid is known for their ability to spread magic amongst many people. Initiate druids believe that this practice is to allow the denizens of nature to defend themselves if endangered by those who would hunt nature. While this is partially true, there is another reason, known only to those who are masters of the Druidic Practice. The true reason that the druids exist is to help sustain the web of magical energy that allows life to live in Zaaman-Rul. However, it is incredibly difficult to integrate magic, as it is practiced by normal spellcasters of this time, into the ancient web of magic. To help young adepts adjust their magic to the Serpentes' web, the elders have created a practice of having them spread their magic among many others. This first crucial step is difficult to accomplish, but is one of the signature powers of druids as a whole. However, the power is limited. A True Druid may only share their magic with up to 1 person or animal per class level at a time. The True Druid may choose not to prepare any number of spell slots while preparing her spells during this ritual. For each spell sacrificed in this way, the True Druid may grant one of the creatures in the group meditation the ability to use a single druid spell as a spell-like ability of a level no greater than 1/2 the True Druid's class level. A creature cannot be bestowed with this ritual a number of spell-like abilities whose total spell level is greater than their hit dice. Spell-like abilities granted to a creature are cast at a caster level equal to the HD of the creature who uses the spell-like ability. If the spell-like ability is not used within 24 hours, it is lost.
    I am still wary of granting Spell-likes, especially as a pet-class, but with less companions running around, perhaps this is less troublesome.

Warden of Nature: The True Druid is a guardian of Nature, and as such, by rite of ancient pacts made by the original Druids, they are allowed to requisition the service of local animals to aid them in their quests. At second level, the True Druid may use Charm Animal at will as a spell-like ability.

At 6th level, the True Druid gains the ability to weave the energy around them through living creatures, awakening their latent abilities, and turning them into better servants of nature. The True Druid the ability to use Awaken as a spell-like ability three times per day.

At 8th level, the True Druid gains the ability to weave energy through the earth so well that they can call forth a living manifestation of life on Zaaman-Rul. They may summon this Avatar of Nature as a full round action. When they do, a number of creatures equal to their class level may, as an immediate action, bond with the Avatar. The Avatar of Nature has the stats of a Tendriculous with HD equal to the True Druid's HD + 2 per each creature bonded with the Avatar. In addition, the Avatar's strength is increased by 2 for each bonded creature, and each bonded creature gets a +2 bonus to strength for as long as the Avatar is in existence. The Avatar appears at the beginning of your next turn in any space within 10ft of you per class level, and acts on your initiative as you designate. Directing it's movement is a free action.

The Avatar of Nature is immune to damage. If it would normally be dealt damage, instead divide that damage evenly amongst the druid and the bonded creatures and negate all damage dealt to the Avatar. Damage converted to nonlethal damage by means of the Avatar's Regeneration ability is dealt to the bonded creatures as nonlethal damage. When a bonded creature is knocked unconscious or killed, it is no longer treated as a bonded creature. As such, they lose the bonus to strength they got, and the Avatar's HD and Strength are decreased by 2 each. The Avatar is immune to all death effects. If the Druid who summoned the Avatar is knocked unconscious or killed, the Avatar disappears as if it was dismissed. The druid may dismiss the Avatar as a free action. The Avatar can only be summoned for a number of minutes each day equal to the druid's class level, in one-minute increments. For example, summoning the Avatar for 5 rounds counts as a full minute, and summoning it for 12 rounds counts as 2 minutes.
    I like the clarifications to the Avatar, makes it a lot clearer. However, again, what happens if it suffers ability damage? Ability drain? Does that all trickle down too, or does the Avatar just suffer it?

Nature's Abundance (Sp): At third level, the True Druid begins a common practice amongst druids: radiating waves of ambient energy into the air, generating energy to help sustain the Serpentes' grid. Even if the True Druid does not know the read purpose of the practice, she can still benefit from the results. Plants in the area are fortified with healing magic similar to the kind used in the Grid, albeit to a much lesser degree. In a natural setting, this manifests in the form to cast goodberry, as the spell, once once every minute as a swift action, with a duration of 1 minute/class level.
    Still like it.

Ignite Arcana (Su): At third level, the True Druid begins learning basic exercises to convert magic from it's normal form into a form of energy to enhance the performance of an existing power structure. The most basic form of this is converting spells into sheer physical prowess. A number of times per day equal to 1/2 their class level, as a standard action, the True Druid may attempt to ignite some of the magic within a creature within 100ft. The True Druid makes an opposed caster level check with the recipient. If the True Druid wins the check, one random spell slot or spell-like ability of any level of the True Druid's choosing is expended as if cast. However, the creature whose spell is expended this way gets a +2 bonus/spell level to any of their stats, assigned as they choose. No stat may get more than a +6 bonus. For example, if a True Druid ignited a wizard's 7th level spell slot, the wizard might choose to gain a +6 bonus to intelligence, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +4 bonus to Dexterity. The bonus lasts a number of minutes equal to the target's caster level.
    Think this works well enough.

Aura of Life (Su): At 4th level, the True Druid's exercises with radiating magic have enhanced, granting those around them the ability to heal their wounds directly. Each ally within 30ft of the True Druid gains fast healing 1 as long as they are under 1/2 their max HP. Every 3 levels thereafter, the fast healing granted by this ability increases by one.
    Same.

Power the Grid (Su): The True Druid is a protector of life on the planet. They constantly feed ambient natural energy into the Serpentes' grid of magical energy in Zaaman-Rul, but at 5th level, they learn to save both life in their immediate vicinity, and power the Serpentes' web at the same time. They are able to convert magic in the form of a spell being cast directly into energy to power the web. A number of times per day equal to 1+their charisma modifier, a True Druid may attempt to counter a spell cast as an immediate action. The druid makes an opposed caster level check, and if they succeed, the spell is countered as the Druid successfully disperses the energy from the spell into the Serpentes' spell web where it can aid life, rather than rampantly destroy it.
    Still good.

Back to Nature (Su): The True Druid, at 6th level, is able to siphon ambient magical effects into the spell web. They may, three time per day as a standard action, create a ripple of energy that relocates spell effects directly into the spell web. This manifests as causing each creature and object within 10ft/class level to be targeted by a Greater Dispel Magic effect (Caster level = your own caster level).
    Same.

Rapid Growth (Su): The True Druid's practice of radiating magic energy to the outside world has once again reached a milestone. The energy radiated can now effect more than just accumulations of nutrients and living beings; it seeps into roots and causes plants to grow at unbelievable rates. As long as the True Druid is standing on shrubs or grass, a number of feet around him equal to 5* 1/2 his class level is treated as difficult terrain, as the energy around him causes plants to grow and animate slightly, wrapping around the feet of anyone in the area except for the druid. In addition, if the druid rests in one place for 8 hours or more, the area is affected as if by the enrichment effect of a Plant Growth spell.
    Same.

Redirect Arcana: At 7th level, the True Druid has developed a connection into the spell web itself, and, if they were not previously aware of it, they are taught about it by the druid elders. With this personal bond to the spellweb, they have developed the ability to mimic some of the energy that they pour into it. When they use their Power the Grid class ability, they may choose to, as an extension, expend a spell slot of a level equal to the spell being countered. If they do, they may replicate the effect of the spell that they countered with the ability.
    Same.

Create Sanctuary (Su): At 8th level, the True Druid can create a small node within the Serpentes' spell weave large enough to allow small pockets of life to live in them. This area functions as an Antimagic zone, which extends 100ft outside of the node; the area around the sanctuary was designed as a power sink, causing all nearby magic to be sucked into the Serpentes' weave. Inside of the node, which appears to be a 25ft diameter sphere, there is an extradimensional space which houses life. This extradimensional space is a sphere with a 1,000ft diameter housed within the Serpentes' spell. The inside of this area is Strongly Neutral aligned. In addition, all non-druidic magic counts as impeded magic, and all druidic spells cast within the area are empowered. The created node, aside from protecting natural life, is filled with natural magic, much of which is used to sustain the web. While within the area, creatures gain fast healing 3, and the grass grows at a spectacular rate, allowing a nearly unlimited supply of food. In addition, while with the area, all living creatures benefit from a Sanctuary effect, except that no will save is allowed to ignore the effect. This effect ends as soon as a creature leaves the node. The True Druid may make a node once every month in a special hour-long ritual that requires rare herbs and incense worth 3,000gp. Nodes, however, cause a bit of strain on the Serpentes' web. A True Druid may only have a number of nodes equal to 1/2 their class level active at one time. Once all of these nodes are created, the True Druid cannot make any more unless a previous node is somehow destroyed.
    I'm assuming this is actually the Wild Sanctuary ability, and so comes at level 9. I would much prefer this ability be one/Druid, for fluff reasons. Otherwise, it's... acceptable. I don't like it, but it seems to be a desired concept of the class, and I can support that.

It does need clarification as to what constitutes "druidic magic". My suggestion is that any spell on the spell list of the druid that created the node counts.

Eternal Shepard (Ex): At 10th level, the True Druid has achieved perfect harmony with nature. At thus point, a True Druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, as normal. However, the Druid no longer has a maximum age category, and, whenever they die, they are reincarnated, as the spell, within 1 week of death. In addition, they may use Suggestion at will as a spell-like ability, but it only effects plant creatures, animals, and magical beasts.
    Still good.

The table needs cleaned up, and there appears to be a missing ability: Unbind the Formula. I was excited to read it, but it doesn't seem to be there. Also, Call of the Wild seems to have left. While I wasn't crazy about it, I didn't mind it overly. Perhaps give them the druidic ability to spontaneously convert anything into SNA? That'd make level 1 a bit more enticing. I also feel that mechanically, it could be an 8/10 class with no issues. Call the dead levels 1 and 10 and I think we have a go here.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, Xortal is done, and the first half of the Edge is up. Also, this is now my fourth post in a row. Guess today's been busy.

I plan to try and get the rest of the Edge done this weekend, along with a new mechanical tidbit sometime soon: the qualnargan's type, a new creature type.

15. - Top - End - #435

Okay, table cleaned up and ability wordings fixed. The "Unbind the Formula" ability was the rename of the Ignite Arcana ability. It just sounds better and more in tune with the class.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I cant picture Xortal w/o thinking of Pandora. Please forgive me! *goes back to silently watching and waiting for more good stuff*
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-01-13 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I cant picture Xortal w/o thinking of Pandora. Please forgive me! *goes back to silently watching and waiting for more good stuff*
    I don't know, Pandora gave me more of a blue feeling, full of wonder and suspense. Xortal makes me think more of green and red, with savagery and hidden depths.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438

Small set of questions: How did the Quarlnargan get to the edge? What are they building? How did they adapt to absorb the shadow magic? Whatever happened to the Gashtek spire in Orlyndol? (South Intolar was, so why not the spire?)

How is Necromancy (and undeath) viewed in each of the different nations in Zaaman-Rul?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, table cleaned up and ability wordings fixed. The "Unbind the Formula" ability was the rename of the Ignite Arcana ability. It just sounds better and more in tune with the class.
    Ah, lovely. Did you decide to roll with 8/10?

Given that Pandora was a multi-million dollar expense, was CRAZY pretty, and was a biological wonderland, I'm ok with that. If you said that Xortal made you think of the Na'vi, we'd have some ****ing issues, let me tell you what.

Big blue cats of fail and stupid, grr. I liked the rest of that planet, but the Na'vi just bothered me.

I don't know, Pandora gave me more of a blue feeling, full of wonder and suspense. Xortal makes me think more of green and red, with savagery and hidden depths.
    Xortal is very much meant to provoke that sort of response, a "this is beautiful, but dangerous" response.

Small set of questions: How did the Quarlnargan get to the edge? What are they building? How did they adapt to absorb the shadow magic? Whatever happened to the Gashtek spire in Orlyndol? (South Intolar was, so why not the spire?)
    1. The Qualnargan's origins will be discussed in the Edge post in a fairly lengthy spoiler, so I'll explain it there.
    2. They have a... complex, for lack of a better word, at the center of the Edge "crater" (ie. the deepest point and closest to the core of Z-R). This is where they create their servants, weapons, and live day-to-day, though most have satellite domains across the Edge (some of which actually are literal satellites, tethered to the planet via massive chains).
    3. Again, see their section of that post when it goes up.
    4. What-so-ever are you talking about? I most certainly did mention those fine fellows. In truth, I blanked on the Gashtek. Thanks for the reminder. It's tough to keep track of everything, sometimes.
    How is Necromancy (and undeath) viewed in each of the different nations in Zaaman-Rul?
    Necromancy is not banned anywhere, or even really frowned on. It's just a school of magic after all, the magic of life and death. Undead, that's another story, and is all that is discussed below. That said, it depends on the nation. Here's a breakdown:

Intolar: Frowns on undead in general, but is too pragmatic to really put a stop to anything. Undead use in public and personal ownership of the undead is illegal, just like owning a wand of fireball is also illegal, and like the wand, there are licenses and permits to waive the issue. Military use of the undead is permitted both for combat and for labor, but only with signed permission of the individual in question prior to their death (all soldiers are presented with that form during enlistment, those who decline permission have their armor marked with a symbol denoting such).
    Khavghotan: Doesn't give a ****.
    Orlyndol: Undead are a curiosity, but it's trite and passe to actually make use of. The illithids have servitors for combat and labor, what do they need with the undead?
    Northwind, City: The trepek don't care. Just keep within the laws (unintelligent ones are property, like golems, and intelligent ones are treated like normal people to the law) and we're good.
    Northwind: The Speakers hate them, because they've not accepted the blessing of the cold.
    Tharkrixghantix: The dragons forbid undead in the nation, even as objects of study, on penalty of aging (draconic laws are enforced by increasing the offender's age by a certain amount, depending on the offense; age is a huge deal in their culture, so this can be a scary punishment; the worst penalty on record is an individual who attempted to sabotage the containment web, he was aged 15,000 years as punishment, instantly killing him).
    Alykandor: Undead are outlawed, and looked at with curiosity, since the Alykandorian's have constructs.
    Xortal: The tasloi abhor undead and regard them as abominations. The continent feels much the same.
    The Lattice: The true elves fear and despise the undead as unnatural. The dwarves treat them with cautious respect as potential adversaries but also potential allies, but don't often dabble in the undead arts.
    The Edge: The qualnargan don't care about them in any way, neither using nor hating the undead.

Note: The Nihrain attempt to enlist any undead they discover, using grafts as enticement and using the undead as a weapon of shock and fear against Alykandor. The Oonai hunt powerful undead as challenges. The Intolian Underground use undead for a lot of their grunt labor work, thus letting humans get to the real issue of overthrowing the empire.

20. - Top - End - #440

How do Intolian citizens and soldiers treat the idea of being turned into an undead? Are there any combat necromancers in Intolian armies? Raising undead on the battlefield and such? If so, then do they have special armor? Or do they just use, say, a spell-storing ring for bypassing the material components and ASF chance while they run around in power suits? Do they use wands for it instead? If so, are these materials distributed to the combat necromancers? Do the Gashtek view the undead any differently than the normal illithids?

Also, how are Necromancers themselves viewed within those nations? The same, or differently?

Finally, are there any variant rules that you use in your games/the setting to let arcane spellcasters or Dread Necromancers get access to Animate Dead before 7th level without expending feats? (For example, letting Intolian Necromancers get the ability to make a couple of shock troopers at levels that they don't have anything better to do with their actions.) For example, would the following spells (from this thread) a) be balanced, a.1) if not, what level would you recommend changing them to (Input would be nice; I wouldn't mind using these for an NPC apprentice necromancer, and feedback is nice), and b) be commonly used amongst Intolian combat-necromancers?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bone Walk
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Bard 0, Clr 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time:1 standard action
    Range:10 feet/level
    Target:Corpse or skeleton of any creature w/1 or less HD
    Duration:1 round + 1 round/2 levels
    Saving Throw:None
    Spell Resistance: No
    This spell animates the body of a dead creature, turning it into a skeleton under your command for the duration. However, due to the uncontrolled nature of this cantrip, the skeleton turns into ash after the duration is used up, as the negative energy that controls it burns through. This renders it unsuitable for animation.

Bone Minion
    Necromancy
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time:1 minute
    Range:5 ft
    Duration:Instantaneous
    This spell animates the body of a dead creature as though affected by Animate Dead, turning it into a skeleton under your command. However, due to the risky nature of animation through this cantrip, you may only have a number of HD of animated skeletons through this equal to half your caster level(minimum 1).
    Material Component: Grave dirt
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-13 at 07:23 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Given that Pandora was a multi-million dollar expense, was CRAZY pretty, and was a biological wonderland, I'm ok with that. If you said that Xortal made you think of the Na'vi, we'd have some ****ing issues, let me tell you what.

Big blue cats of fail and stupid, grr. I liked the rest of that planet, but the Na'vi just bothered me.
    Well, the Na'vi never bothered me, so if I told you I was reminded me of them, I wouldn't mean it as an insult. (However Xortal DOES NOT remind me of the Na'vi.) It's sort of a mix of Pandora and one of those old, horribly inaccurate Tarzan Radio progams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't really get a sense of what the qualnargan are. Have I missed something, or is it a secret?
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

How do Intolian citizens and soldiers treat the idea of being turned into an undead? Are there any combat necromancers in Intolian armies? Raising undead on the battlefield and such? If so, then do they have special armor? Or do they just use, say, a spell-storing ring for bypassing the material components and ASF chance while they run around in power suits? Do they use wands for it instead? If so, are these materials distributed to the combat necromancers? Do the Gashtek view the undead any differently than the normal illithids?
    1. Most find it distasteful, but then again, it's for the good of the Empire, so soldiers almost always sign that right away. Citizens are never turned into undead, unless in the case of emergencies, such as a powerful assault against a town when there is a small defense force and there's a lot of citizen corpses laying around.
    2. Yes, there are combat mages, some of which are probably necromancers.
    3. They'll have their own armor, yes.
    4. Some also probably use rings/wands/staves.
    5. Yes, some are given to the mages, but in general mages are expected to create their own minor items, like potions/wands/staves. This skill is taught in the Arcane Institute to all Intolian military mages. Note that item creation is different in my games, so this is less of an issue.
    6. Mostly as weapons against their fellows, but not really. The Gashtek don't make their own undead, just make use of those they find.

Also, how are Necromancers themselves viewed within those nations? The same, or differently?
    Same as normal mages. Necromancy is not a forbidden art in Zaaman-Rul. For example, cure spells are moving back to Necromancy here, cause they just should be god dammit.

Finally, are there any variant rules that you use in your games/the setting to let arcane spellcasters or Dread Necromancers get access to Animate Dead before 7th level without expending feats? (For example, letting Intolian Necromancers get the ability to make a couple of shock troopers at levels that they don't have anything better to do with their actions.) For example, would the following spells (from this thread) a) be balanced, a.1) if not, what level would you recommend changing them to (Input would be nice; I wouldn't mind using these for an NPC apprentice necromancer, and feedback is nice), and b) be commonly used amongst Intolian combat-necromancers?
    I didn't have any plans for letting arcane casters get Animate Dead earlier, since I kind of like clerics as the undead workers, but it can be easily moved if you're so inclined.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bone Walk
    Necromancy
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time:1 standard action
    Range:10 feet/level
    Duration:1 round + 1 round/2 levels
    This spell animates the body of a dead creature, turning it into a skeleton under your command for the duration. However, due to the uncontrolled nature of this cantrip, the skeleton turns into ash after the duration is used up, as the negative energy that controls it burns through. This renders it unsuitable for animation.

Bone Minion
    Necromancy
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time:1 minute
    Range:5 ft
    Duration:Instantaneous
    This spell animates the body of a dead creature as though affected by Animate Dead, turning it into a skeleton under your command. However, due to the risky nature of animation through this cantrip, you may only have a number of HD of animated skeletons through this equal to half your caster level(minimum 1).
    Material Component: Grave dirt
    I feel like these should both be level 1, not level 0. Level 0 should have very minor effects.

Well, the Na'vi never bothered me, so if I told you I was reminded me of them, I wouldn't mean it as an insult. (However Xortal DOES NOT remind me of the Na'vi.) It's sort of a mix of Pandora and one of those old, horribly inaccurate Tarzan Radio progams.
    Good man, good man.

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I don't really get a sense of what the qualnargan are. Have I missed something, or is it a secret?
    That's because I haven't told you straight-up what they are yet. I've hinted at it, given images of them, mentioned that they began the Shadowstar Wars that controlled the world for a time, and implied that they're the big baddies. Trust me, the big reveal on who and what the qualnargan are, what Nidhoggir the Death Beast is, and why you should care.

24. - Top - End - #444

3. They'll have their own armor, yes.
    5. Yes, some are given to the mages, but in general mages are expected to create their own minor items, like potions/wands/staves. This skill is taught in the Arcane Institute to all Intolian military mages. Note that item creation is different in my games, so this is less of an issue.
    ...And when is this mechanics thread getting up?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

...And when is this mechanics thread getting up?
    Oh, that's a personal house rule, not something I planned to include in Z-R by default. I have a long and complex set of house rules that I use in all my 3.5 games, and I was just mentioning that.

Frankly, I dislike the way item creation was handled in 3.5 and always suggest people find other methods or make their own, like I do.

Let me be perfectly clear: Zaaman-Rul will not, by default, change item creation unless I am literally inundated with requests to do so.

Now, if you want something to critique that's mechanical, then I'll give you something: the Eldritch type, the type the qualnargan possess.

Spoiler
    Show

The Eldritch Type
    Used exclusively for creatures beyond the knowledge of men and past the grasp of reality and sanity, the eldritch creature type is used for creatures such as Far Realms natives. It is recommended that use of the Eldritch type be heavily regulated, as the type is extraordinarily powerful. It is further recommended that the Eldritch type increase the CR of any creature using it by 1.

Features:
    An eldritch has the following features.
    • 12-sided hit dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to hit dice.
    • Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
    • Skill points equal to 6+Int modifier per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits:
    An eldritch possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
    • Darkvision out to 60 ft.
    • Telepathy out to 60 ft.
    • Eldritch gain Mindsight as a bonus feat.
    • Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, along with any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with all forms of armor and all shields.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    • Eldritch do not age, breath, and do not need to eat, drink, or sleep.
    • Eldritch gain the Selective Reality extraordinary ability (see below).
    • Eldritch gain the Divination Immunity extraordinary ability (see below).

Selective Reality (Ex): A creature with this ability is neither alive nor undead and has no alignment. The creature is treated as alive or undead and as whatever alignment it wishes, as suits it at the time. Additionally, the creature can be raised as normal. Selective Reality permits the creature to be healed by both positive and negative energy, to ignore any effect that excludes undead or living creatures specifically, and as whatever alignment as suits it at the moment. For example, a creature with Selective Reality can be treated as Chaotic when subjected to a Word of Chaos and as living when hit with a Control Undead, then as Good in regards to a Holy Aura, etc.

Divination Immunity (Ex): A creature with this ability is selectively immune to divination effects, at their option. This ability is a free action to raise or lower that can be taken on other creatures turn.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-13 at 09:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Oh, that's a personal house rule, not something I planned to include in Z-R by default. I have a long and complex set of house rules that I use in all my 3.5 games, and I was just mentioning that.

Frankly, I dislike the way item creation was handled in 3.5 and always suggest people find other methods or make their own, like I do.

Let me be perfectly clear: Zaaman-Rul will not, by default, change item creation unless I am literally inundated with requests to do so.

Now, if you want something to critique that's mechanical, then I'll give you something: the Eldritch type, the type the qualnargan possess.

Spoiler
    Show

The Eldritch Type
    -snip-
    Possibly create an "Optional Rules" section for the houserules. That gives people a chance to know alternate systems without imposing anything on anyone.

As for the Eldritch type... it seems okay, but it definitely merits a bit more than just a +1 challenge rating. Each of these is immune to all non-damage removal, and can take damage amazingly. Especially tanking. These things are frigging nightmares. Each of these is like a mini boss at least, in video game terminology. I agree that this type should be regulated. Other than that, I have nothing to say- I'm not really good with actually statting out monsters.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly create an "Optional Rules" section for the houserules. That gives people a chance to know alternate systems without imposing anything on anyone.
    Eh, I've got enough damn work to do.

As for the Eldritch type... it seems okay, but it definitely merits a bit more than just a +1 challenge rating. Each of these is immune to all non-damage removal, and can take damage amazingly. Especially tanking. These things are frigging nightmares. Each of these is like a mini boss at least, in video game terminology. I agree that this type should be regulated. Other than that, I have nothing to say- I'm not really good with actually statting out monsters.
    Yeah, it's a very very powerful type. It was meant to produce nightmares, to be fair. Anything that gets eldritch HD is a serious critter. Now, when I tell you that all the qualnargan have at least 15 eldritch HD, you understand what I'm saying.

DMs out there! Don't throw Eldritch around without just cause! They're a bit scary!

Also, I'm disappointed in you, DM. You keep going "give me mechanics" and when I finally give you one, you're all "I'm bad at that".
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-13 at 10:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The Eldritch Type
    Used exclusively for creatures beyond the knowledge of men and past the grasp of reality and sanity, the eldritch creature type is used for creatures such as Far Realms natives. It is recommended that use of the Eldritch type be heavily regulated, as the type is extraordinarily powerful. It is further recommended that the Eldritch type increase the CR of any creature using it by 1.
    We'll see.

Features:
    An eldritch has the following features.
    • 12-sided hit dice.
    • Base attack bonus equal to hit dice.
    • Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
    • Skill points equal to 6+Int modifier per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
    First off- this is really good. Like, really good. You have almost maxed everything out here. Second, what are the class skills of th Eldritch beings?

Traits:
    An eldritch possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
    • Darkvision out to 60 ft.
    • Telepathy out to 60 ft.
    • Eldritch gain Mindsight as a bonus feat.
    • Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, along with any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with all forms of armor and all shields.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    • Eldritch do not age, breath, and do not need to eat, drink, or sleep.
    • Eldritch gain the Selective Reality extraordinary ability (see below).
    • Eldritch gain the Divination Immunity extraordinary ability (see below).
    Why are they proficient with all armor, shields, simple and martial weapons? Just cause? Also, this is A LOT of immunities. Like, holy fracking crap. What affects are they not immune to? This is worth far, far, far more than +1. This is more like +4 or 6, maybe more. Seriously.

Selective Reality (Ex): A creature with this ability is neither alive nor undead and has no alignment. The creature is treated as alive or undead and as whatever alignment it wishes, as suits it at the time. Additionally, the creature can be raised as normal. Selective Reality permits the creature to be healed by both positive and negative energy, to ignore any effect that excludes undead or living creatures specifically, and as whatever alignment as suits it at the moment. For example, a creature with Selective Reality can be treated as Chaotic when subjected to a Word of Chaos and as living when hit with a Control Undead, then as Good in regards to a Holy Aura, etc.
    Another immunity, or practically so.

Divination Immunity (Ex): A creature with this ability is selectively immune to divination effects, at their option. This ability is a free action to raise or lower that can be taken on other creatures turn.
    And they are immune to divination?! Holy crap!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

Also, I'm disappointed in you, DM. You keep going "give me mechanics" and when I finally give you one, you're all "I'm bad at that".
    I can do items, classes, fluff, spells, new spellcasting-type systems, and some assorted other things, but the one thing I have no experience in is monsters. I can make fluff for them, and give them abilities, but I can't really balance them out. All I know is that the Eldritch type would be worth ~+2.5 CR (using a dragon as a reference point) and scare the sh*t out of people. What more can I say? Another thing is the relative scale of HD vs CR and the interaction of new creature types with that. Giving things a bonus with a template is one thing, but not all creature types are the same. Sticking the template on a dragon would make for a different increase in CR than putting it on a plant or animal. The latter would gain more benefit from the type than the former because of their high HD to CR ratio, whereas the dragon, while gaining considerable benefits, wouldn't gain anywhere near the additional benefits a plant or animal gets. A flat-out creature I can possibly guess where the balance would be, but possibly a bit skewed, but just a creature type is extremely hard to critique by itself (at least for me).
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-13 at 10:45 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

unosarta:
    Those immunities are EXACTLY the undead immunities, like, word for word (I copy-pasted them, so I know), so they're not as bad as you think.

The "core" stats, the HD/BAB/saves/skill points are almost exactly the Outsider stats, just the HD was increased to d12. Given that HP is such a minor issue at even medium-optimization issues, I'm not that scared. It's Outsider+ in that respect.

They've got proficiencies just for giggles, really.

The two special effects are what make them dangerous, since those combined shut down a lot of effects, such as tracking them and denying certain (fairly minor, but still used) avenues of attack. The way to fight these guys is through direct attack, which is where they are skilled. Most of the eldritch creatures are scary melee warriors, and this is intentional. The idea of the Eldritch type is to help even the field for a solo creature against a party by shutting off certain notable weaknesses. Just be glad I took out the multiple actions clause, cause it was too much.

@DM: Yeah, I know, I was makin' fun. Almost no one has experience with new creature types (myself included), on the basis of "no one ever makes any". I'm probably going to call it a +2 CR increase, though more than that gets kinda ridiculous, since it doesn't actually increase survivability against a higher level party. A 1 HD eldritch would have CR 3, and would still die to a single critical. Making it more that +2 seems.. excessive. A CR 4 creature with no other special abilities and only 1 HD is too much, IMO.

EDIT: For example, the Blade Lords would be of the Eldritch type, were I to remake them. Note that the Blade Lords are what the qualnargan are probably going to look like, though a bit more powerful than the qualnargan are probably going to look like.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-13 at 10:56 PM.