New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

Hm... two questions: What type of spells are you using in this game (PF version or 3.5)? And what is the variant item crafting system? It would be nice to know regardless of whether or not you put it in the setting.

Also, possible ACF for the Intolian Dread Necomancer (Because somehow, I feel that at least one army should deploy combat necromancers with damage-dealing spells and moderate combat ability):

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle Necromancer:
    Prerequisite: Must be faithful to Pyaray, and either be a native of Xauldred or taught by one of Pyaray's priests.
    Hit Die: d8
    Base Attack Bonus: As Cleric
    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: At 1st level, a Battle Necromancer gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, and all light and medium armor.
    Class Features:
    The Battle Necromancer, unlike other Dread Necromancers, doesn't cast arcane spells- instead, they channel the energy of the Octopus with them in battle. Battle Necromancers cast all Dread Necromancer spells as Divine Spells. In addition, the Battle Necromancer adds Desecration to their spell list as a second-level spell, and Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell. However, their increased physical prowess and divine backing comes at a cost- namely, their flexibility in spellcasting. At 1st level, a Battle Necromancer learns 3 1st-level spells off of the Dread Necromancer spell list. At each additional level, the Battle Necromancer may learn another 3 spells of a level they can cast off of the Dread Necromancer spell list. In addition, the Battle Necromancer gains less spells per day than the normal Dread Necromancer- Subtract one spell per day from each spell level that the Dread Necromancer can cast spells from.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-17 at 01:46 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    unosarta:
    Those immunities are EXACTLY the undead immunities, like, word for word (I copy-pasted them, so I know), so they're not as bad as you think.

The "core" stats, the HD/BAB/saves/skill points are almost exactly the Outsider stats, just the HD was increased to d12. Given that HP is such a minor issue at even medium-optimization issues, I'm not that scared. It's Outsider+ in that respect.

They've got proficiencies just for giggles, really.

The two special effects are what make them dangerous, since those combined shut down a lot of effects, such as tracking them and denying certain (fairly minor, but still used) avenues of attack. The way to fight these guys is through direct attack, which is where they are skilled. Most of the eldritch creatures are scary melee warriors, and this is intentional. The idea of the Eldritch type is to help even the field for a solo creature against a party by shutting off certain notable weaknesses. Just be glad I took out the multiple actions clause, cause it was too much. .
    This is why Outsiders cant become Undead.

@DM: Yeah, I know, I was makin' fun. Almost no one has experience with new creature types (myself included), on the basis of "no one ever makes any". I'm probably going to call it a +2 CR increase, though more than that gets kinda ridiculous, since it doesn't actually increase survivability against a higher level party. A 1 HD eldritch would have CR 3, and would still die to a single critical. Making it more that +2 seems.. excessive. A CR 4 creature with no other special abilities and only 1 HD is too much, IMO.
    But Eldritch isn't a template... Why would it have a +2 CR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Because it is inherently more powerful than all other creature types, and therefore needs a way to reduce its power level; mainly via increased CR, in this case.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Hm... two questions: What type of spells are you using in this game (PF version or 3.5)? And what is the variant item crafting system? It would be nice to know regardless of whether or not you put it in the setting.
    3.5, due to simplicity.

The item crafting variant I use is the 2e method: quest-based and component-based. The idea is that to make an item, you need the right spells and the right materials to hold the energy of the magic. It's hard to explain, but most items that aren't basic stuff (standard wands, potions, and scrolls) are a minor quest to acquire the objects required to make the item.

Also, possible ACF for the Intolian Dread Necomancer (Because somehow, I feel that at least one army should deploy combat necromancers with damage-dealing spells and moderate combat ability):

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle Necromancer:
    Hit Die: d8
    Base Attack Bonus: As Cleric
    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: At 1st level, a Battle Necromancer gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, and all light and medium armor.
    Class Features:
    The Battle Necromancer, unlike other Dread Necromancers, doesn't cast arcane spells- instead, they channel the energy of the Octopus with them in battle. Battle Necromancers cast all Dread Necromancer spells as Divine Spells. In addition, the Battle Necromancer adds Desecration to their spell list as a second-level spell, and Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell. However, their increased physical prowess and divine backing comes at a cost- namely, their flexibility in spellcasting. At 1st level, a Battle Necromancer learns 3 1st-level spells off of the Dread Necromancer spell list. At each additional level, the Battle Necromancer may learn another 3 spells of a level they can cast off of the Dread Necromancer spell list. In addition, the Battle Necromancer gains less spells per day than the normal Dread Necromancer- Subtract one spell per day from each spell level that the Dread Necromancer can cast spells from.
    Curious. Needs a prerequisite to have an Intolian regional feat to select, but otherwise, I like it.

Because it NEEDS a CR notation. It of course is up the DM to assign CR changes, but I'm saying that anything with eldritch HD that I design is getting a CR boost to compensate.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #455

Curious. Needs a prerequisite to have an Intolian regional feat to select, but otherwise, I like it.
    Xauldred [Regional]
    You hail from Xauldred, a small, rainy, militant town dedicated to the Octopus on a cliff above the sea.
    You begin the game knowing Intolian, and your favored class is the Battle Necromancer. You also have a Xauldred Tattoo on your right shoulder in addition to your starting gear. Finally, you get a +1 bonus on will saving throws and the ability to rebuke undead (as the cleric ability) once each day (effective cleric level = your character level). This stacks with uses of rebuke undead gained from class features.

Xauldred
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xauldred is a small militant town on a cliff above the sea. Every inhabitant is dedicated to the Octopus, to whom they dedicate their lives. Their reason of their dedication is obvious; they are surrounded by death on all sides, and the rain that surrounds the place never stops. It brings one into a damp, somber mood, thinking of death and the thereafter. Xauldred usually keeps to itself, sustaining itself by performing funerary rights of behalf of the empire. However, given it's position on the north coast, it's in a prime travel position for trepek immigrants; despite the town's isolationist policy, the trepeks, essentially being a race of living tools, are common and tolerated in the town, where they fix the buildings which often rust and fall into disrepair in the unrelenting rain which shrouds their town. In addition to their primary job as mortuaries, they are a small yet important part of the Intolian Military: They act as recyclers on the battlefield, reanimating dead soldiers to continue fighting (which also prevents the loss of the rather expensive combat armor), and filling the ranks with casualties from the opposing side. However, unlike other necromancers, they also function as resilient close-combat warriors on the battlefield. Xauldred is currently the only town which teaches the techniques Battle Necromancers, and it doesn't share the secrets with outsiders. However, it's now and again the town may whisper the rites and rituals of becoming a Battle Necromancer to priests of Pyaray, who in turn may teach the faithful the arts. Regardless, the largest, most sustainable source of Battle Necromancers stem from Xauldred, the town most faithful to the Octopus.

Xauldred Tattoo
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Xauldred Tattoo is a very rare mark granted only to inhabitants of the town and some powerful clerics of the Octopus who support the town. It bears the image of a skull being held in place by 4 tentacles, while four additional ones fan out around it. It symbolizes that death's grasp cannot be broken, and those who try will themselves be trapped. Aside from looking cool, it also has several small powers. The bearer of the tattoo is healed by negative energy, and harmed by positive energy. In addition, once per day, the bearer of the tattoo may spend one or more rebuke undead attempts as a swift action to add the effects of a metamagic feat that they possess to a divine necromancy spell that they are casting, with no change in the spell's casting time or effective level. They must spend a number of rebuke undead attempts equal to the normal level adjustment of the metamagic feat. If the metamagic feat selected was heighten spell, the spell's effective level is raised by the number of rebuke undead attempts spent (maximum 9th). Finally, the bearer of the tattoo may eschew the material component of the Animate Dead spell by expending one rebuke undead attempt and taking 1d6 damage/HD that the target of the spell has. The inhabitants of Xauldred do not often give out these tattoos; they only give them to the faithful of Pyaray who have helped support the town; a necromancer-priest may be able to obtain one of the tattoos after donating 500bp to the city, while other faithful may need to donate up to 500up to the town.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-17 at 02:35 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Xauldred [Regional]
    You hail from Xauldred, a small militant town dedicated to the Octopus on a cliff above the sea.
    You begin the game knowing Intolian, and your favored class is the Battle Necromancer. You also have a Xauldred Tattoo on your right shoulder in addition to your starting gear. Finally, you get a +1 bonus on will saving throws and the ability to rebuke undead (as the cleric ability) once each day (effective cleric level = your character level). This stacks with uses of rebuke undead gained from class features.
    Ok, we'll see where this goes. I have a few issues though:
    1. You don't get Common as a language. Not a bad thing (I did it too, with Intolian, Xanteld Prisoner, and Freeman), but just curious.
    2. Having a favored class that's an ACF bothers me. Their favored class would be the Necromaster (what is going to result from a mix of the Dread Necromancer and the Death Master). And yes, I'll be posting the Necromaster at some point here.

Xauldred
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xauldred is a small militant town on a cliff above the sea. Every inhabitant is dedicated to the Octopus, which makes sense, given their geographic location. Unlike in other parts of Intolar, rain is incredibly common in Xauldred; in fact, it's rare to get a day where it doesn't rain. Xauldred usually keeps to itself, sustaining itself on fish and seaweed for the most part. However, they are a small yet important part of the Intolian Military: They act as recyclers on the battlefield, reanimating dead soldiers to continue fighting (which also prevents the loss of the rather expensive combat armor), and filling the ranks with casualties from the opposing side. However, unlike other necromancers, they also function as resilient close-combat warriors on the battlefield. Xauldred is currently the only town which churns out Battle Necromancers, and it doesn't share the secrets with outsiders.
    Interesting. Here's a few questions:
    1. Why did you bother mentioning the rain? Intolar is basically Montana. They *do* get rain, you know.
    2. The Eight-Limbed Reaper is the god of the dead (along with cephalopods and the ocean). A town dedicated to Pyaray is going to be a graveyard, I hope you realize that. Pyaray demands a corpse-like attitude from his faithful, meaning any town dedicated to him is going to suck. Just so you're aware of this. Xauldred would be the funerary capital of Intolar (Intolian funeral rites involve returning the dead to the sea, due to Pyaray's existence and some other stuff). Also, I absolutely disagree that only Xauldred produces Battle Necromancers. That shunts players into only coming from Xauldred to play that archetype as a human, something that's bad for diversity. Instead, if we restricted Battle Necromancer to the faith of Pyaray, that'd be better, since it still permits characters to come from elsewhere, but still emphasizes Xauldred's relevance to the faith.
    3. Where on the coast actually is the town? Use the map on the first page to place a location. Intolar City is in the dead center of the nation, Xanteld is directly south of it about half-way to the Razorteeth, and Chontian is off to the left-middle.

Xauldred Tattoo
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Xauldred Tattoo is a very rare mark granted only to inhabitants of the town and some powerful clerics of the Octopus who support the town. It bears the image of a skull being held in place by 4 tentacles, while four additional ones fan out around it. It symbolizes that death's grasp cannot be broken, and those who try will themselves be trapped. Aside from looking cool, it also has several small powers. The bearer of the tattoo is healed by negative energy, and harmed by positive energy. In addition, twice per day, the bearer of the tattoo may spend one or more rebuke undead attempts as a swift action to add the effects of a metamagic feat that they possess to a divine necromancy spell that they are casting, with no change in the spell's casting time or effective level. They must spend a number of rebuke undead attempts equal to the normal level adjustment of the metamagic feat. If the metamagic feat selected was heighten spell, the spell's effective level is raised by the number of rebuke undead attempts spent (maximum 9th). Finally, the bearer of the tattoo may eschew the material component of the Animate Dead spell by expending one rebuke undead attempt and taking 1d6 damage/HD that the target of the spell has.
    1. Needs a price, for adventurers that want to buy one. You know someone will.
    2. I... really dislike the free metamagic. Yeah, it's limited a lot, but that makes me skittish. Let's call it 1/day instead?
    3. I like the animate dead thing though, that's neat.

I do like this material though. Consider it approved, along with the Speaker of Ancient Winters, the True Druid, and the Battle Necromancer (which will need to be fiddled with somewhat, to accommodate the Necromaster when I get it ready, so don't lose access to it).

To anyone who contributes: hold onto your material! I guarantee, I *will* lose it at some point, and will ask for it again (probably a few times), so keep it updated and don't lose it.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #457

Ok, we'll see where this goes. I have a few issues though:
    1. You don't get Common as a language. Not a bad thing (I did it too, with Intolian, Xanteld Prisoner, and Freeman), but just curious.
    2. Having a favored class that's an ACF bothers me. Their favored class would be the Necromaster (what is going to result from a mix of the Dread Necromancer and the Death Master). And yes, I'll be posting the Necromaster at some point here.
    1. I was going for small reclusive town on a cliff above the sea where it never stops raining. It would be reclusive, and not exactly trying to integrate with anyone outside of the town, much less Intolar.
    2. Alright, seems interesting. I may have to fiddle around with the ACF after I see the class, but hopefully it will still make for a decent melee character.
    Interesting. Here's a few questions:
    1. Why did you bother mentioning the rain? Intolar is basically Montana. They *do* get rain, you know.
    2. The Eight-Limbed Reaper is the god of the dead (along with cephalopods and the ocean). A town dedicated to Pyaray is going to be a graveyard, I hope you realize that. Pyaray demands a corpse-like attitude from his faithful, meaning any town dedicated to him is going to suck. Just so you're aware of this. Xauldred would be the funerary capital of Intolar (Intolian funeral rites involve returning the dead to the sea, due to Pyaray's existence and some other stuff). Also, I absolutely disagree that only Xauldred produces Battle Necromancers. That shunts players into only coming from Xauldred to play that archetype as a human, something that's bad for diversity. Instead, if we restricted Battle Necromancer to the faith of Pyaray, that'd be better, since it still permits characters to come from elsewhere, but still emphasizes Xauldred's relevance to the faith.
    3. Where on the coast actually is the town? Use the map on the first page to place a location. Intolar City is in the dead center of the nation, Xanteld is directly south of it about half-way to the Razorteeth, and Chontian is off to the left-middle.
    1. The rain doesn't stop. The people in there are depressed because they spend their entire time staring at a cliff (thinking what would happen if they fell off) and the rough ocean beneath it (which would kill them), the rain which soaks everything, and so they turned to Pyaray in the hopes of being less miserable.
    2. Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, that could work out well. They get their income from funerary rites, and that's how they manage to sustain themselves. And yes, the town is a small, dreary hellhole; it works out that the inhabitants like Pyaray, since the town is essentially a giant mortuary surrounded by sea and rain.
    3. The very north of Intolar; if you look at the map, halfway between the T and the O, up at the very top, there is a peninsula. At the tip of the peninsula, there is Xauldred.
    1. Needs a price, for adventurers that want to buy one. You know someone will.
    2. I... really dislike the free metamagic. Yeah, it's limited a lot, but that makes me skittish. Let's call it 1/day instead?
    3. I like the animate dead thing though, that's neat.
    1. I used to have it there, but apparently deleted it... it cost 500gp to those faithful to Pyaray, and couldn't be gotten by those who the town deems unfaithful to Pyaray.
    2. Alright, fair enough. Perhaps add a clause that the metamagic could be used 2/day if and only if both uses are used to apply Fell Animate.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

1. The rain doesn't stop. The people in there are depressed because they spend their entire time staring at a cliff (thinking what would happen if they fell off) and the rough ocean beneath it (which would kill them), the rain which soaks everything, and so they turned to Pyaray in the hopes of being less miserable.
    Indeed. Although water is often a motif for life, it can just as often be one for death. Water creates as well as destroys, but since the common intolian death god is represented by an octopus, it would presumably be more connected to destruction. Thus, the city is surrounded by death on all sides (even more so if they had a river running parallel to the cliff, especially since rivers are also very common [maybe not in this setting, I don't know] motif for death and the afterlife as well.) The rain could represent the souls of the dead falling down into the ocean to meet with pyaray, or something.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

1. I was going for small reclusive town on a cliff above the sea where it never stops raining. It would be reclusive, and not exactly trying to integrate with anyone outside of the town, much less Intolar.
    Fair enough. It's worth noting that any Intolian town is going to have some Imperial spirit, due to the way Intolar functions, but desiring isolation is understandable.

2. Alright, seems interesting. I may have to fiddle around with the ACF after I see the class, but hopefully it will still make for a decent melee character.
    Eh, the Necromaster is going to be a d6 half BAB casting class with probably 4+Int skills and no armor prof. It's not really a combat class.

I guessed as much, but there was no indication of such in the first bit. Good to know.

3. The very north of Intolar; if you look at the map, halfway between the T and the O, up at the very top, there is a peninsula. At the tip of the peninsula, there is Xauldred.
    Interesting. That puts it in prime position for trepek travelers.

1. I used to have it there, but apparently deleted it... it cost 500gp to those faithful to Pyaray, and couldn't be gotten by those who the town deems unfaithful to Pyaray.
    Happens.

2. Alright, fair enough. Perhaps add a clause that the metamagic could be used 2/day if and only if both uses are used to apply Fell Animate.
    I also don't like that, due to restriction of options. Just make it 1/day and call it done. For 500 gp or free, it's already good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Indeed. Although water is often a motif for life, it can just as often be one for death. Water creates as well as destroys, but since the common intolian death god is represented by an octopus, it would presumably be more connected to destruction. Thus, the city is surrounded by death on all sides (even more so if they had a river running parallel to the cliff, especially since rivers are also very common [maybe not in this setting, I don't know] motif for death and the afterlife as well.) The rain could represent the souls of the dead falling down into the ocean to meet with pyaray, or something.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the symbology water carries, and yeah, the Intolians believe water is the source of life and the source of death, thanks to Pyaray's influence.

EDIT: I plan to finish The Edge today, and I may start the Lattice as well.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-17 at 02:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460

Eh, the Necromaster is going to be a d6 half BAB casting class with probably 4+Int skills and no armor prof. It's not really a combat class.
    I meant in regards to the class features... the Dread Necomancer, for example, just casts in light armor, has d6 half BAB and has one martial weapon. But it's the class feature thing... with the Dread Necromancer getting DR/Magic Bludgeoning, self-heal, false life, touch spells, charnel-, scabrious-, and enervating touch, and a burst negative energy attack and a fear aura, they would make for a really good melee class if the HD and BAB were increased. Perhaps keep the Dread Necromancer in this setting, but permanently modified by the ACF... just for the necromancer-warrior-priests of Pyaray.
    Interesting. That puts it in prime position for trepek travelers.
    That... would be interesting to see the results of. The race designed to be a living tool introduced to an isolationist town that keeps falling apart... I'll make a note of the result in the town entry.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

I meant in regards to the class features... the Dread Necomancer, for example, just casts in light armor, has d6 half BAB and has one martial weapon. But it's the class feature thing... with the Dread Necromancer getting DR/Magic Bludgeoning, self-heal, false life, touch spells, charnel-, scabrious-, and enervating touch, and a burst negative energy attack and a fear aura, they would make for a really good melee class if the HD and BAB were increased. Perhaps keep the Dread Necromancer in this setting, but permanently modified by the ACF... just for the necromancer-warrior-priests of Pyaray.
    Nah, I'm not making a town-specific base class. That's just silly.

Instead, the Necromaster will have a decent *enough* chassis for a decent second-line combatant, but they're NOT going to be up-front melee characters. They ARE full casters after all.

That... would be interesting to see the results of. The race designed to be a living tool introduced to an isolationist town that keeps falling apart... I'll make a note of the result in the town entry.
    Something like that.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Ok gentlemen! Updates ahoy! The Edge is completed. I did kinda chicken out of a few sections, on the basis of them not really applying (Power Groups doesn't even exist; Major Settlements might as well not). However, the Dark Five have been fleshed out quite a bit more, and the Qualnargan themselves have been explained somewhat more.

Further, big bonus! All submitted mechanical content has been added to the correct post (so, Xauldred feat/tattoo in the Intolar post; True Druid in the Xortal post; Speaker in the Northwind post). Battle Necromancer has not been, due to being incomplete cause I'm dragging my feet on getting the mechanical thread actually up and active with any speed.

And, as a supermegaawesome bonus, while I was collecting the above content for inclusion, I realized I made a promise to unosarta and never followed through, for which I'm amazingly sorry. I promised another look at the Speaker, and never came through on that promise, so I'm doing it now. Better to ask forgiveness, I guess. See the spoiler below. No matter what is done with the class, it *is* included, guaranteed. I'm not turning away someone's hard work cause I was stupid and failed to complete a promise.

Spoiler
    Show
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Survival 9 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 9 ranks
    Spellcasting: Able to cast spells with the [Cold] descriptor of at least 3rd level.
    Special: Must have entered into the ranks of the Frozen Council.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8
    All fine.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Power of the Ancient Winters|+1 level spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Endure|+1 level spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Permafrost|+1 level spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Howl of the Blizzard|+1 level spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bite of Winter|+1 level spellcasting class

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Constant Winter|+1 level spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Hypothermia|+1 level spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Freeze the Sky|+1 level spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Frozen Diamond|+1 level spellcasting class

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Freeze the Heart|+1 level spellcasting class[/table]
    Ok, full casting, good to see. Looks full of special abilities, also great to see. Hate dead levels, happy to not see any.

Power of the Ancient Winters: The Speaker for the Ancient Winters adds all spells with the cold descriptor to his spell list. He becomes unable to cast any spell of the fire descriptor, even through wands or other means of non-personal casting, and removes all spells with the fire descriptor from his spell list.
    I still dislike this, due to the "all spells with the cold descriptor" thing. However, I get the idea, and it's a good one. It's just hard to adjudicate such an effect. Great 1-level dip, but so hard to get into that it's basically impossible to dip with. Thank god for fluff restrictions!

I'd like to add a line to this though: "Additionally, the Speaker is immune to the effects of weather inside the confines of the border of Northwind." Or something of that nature. The class needs to be able to survive the weather.

Endure (Su): Starting at second level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters generates an Aura that affects all of his allies, giving them Cold resistance equal to the caster level of the Speaker for the Ancient Winters.
    Good, good. Seems useful.

Permafrost (Su): Starting at third level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters casts a spell with the [Cold] descriptor, the ground around him freezes over, draining the heat from all those surrounding him. He deals Cold damage to all enemies within 30 feet equal to his Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels, every round, for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Multiple applications of this effect do not stack.
    Ok, good, good.

Howl of the Blizzard (Su): Starting at fourth level, once per encounter, the speaker for the ancient winters may shout, dealing 1d6 damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ level they posses, to every enemy within 30 feet. Half of this damage is cold damage, and half is sonic. Anyone affected by this ability must make a Will save, or be slowed (as the spell) for 3 rounds.
    Hmm. Slow as the spell, that's powerful. Still, at 1/encounter, seems reasonable.

Bite of Winter (Su): Starting at fifth level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters deals Cold damage to an enemy, their movement speeds are reduced by 5 feet. This effect stacks with itself, and lasts for 3 rounds. The Speaker may only reduce the movement speed of an opponent once per round, although he may do so for however many opponents he deals Cold damage to.
    I still think this needs a minimum speed limit of 5 ft, so he's not immobilizing people, but it's probably not critical.

Constant Winter (Su): Starting at sixth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters exudes an Aura of Coldness to thirty feet, turning all temperatures in the area to 0 degrees Celcius, freezing even water. A fire spell in the vicinity supresses the Aura for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Any enemy in the area’s Cold resistance is reduced by 10, while in the area of this Aura. He may suppress this Aura as a swift action.
    Looks fine.

Hypothermia (Ex): Starting at seventh level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters becomes immune to all frost damage, and may expend a spell with the cold descriptor in order to cast a Dispel Magic of equivalent spell level, as an immediate action. If the Speaker does not prepare spells, he may expend any spell slot, but casts a Dispel Magic of one spell level lower than the slot expended.
    I am wary of immediate actions. Let's call this the ability to spontaneously convert into Dispel Magics instead, perhaps?

Freeze the Sky (Su): Starting at eighth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may create a vast expanse of such cold that the blood in all surrounding veins freezes in place. All enemies within 30 feet take 1d6 cold damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters level the user possesses, and become unable to fly until the end of the encounter, dropping to the ground immediately, taking the falling damage. This ability may only be used once per day.
    Still needs a save. I propose a Fort save (DC=10+1/2 hit dice+casting stat modifier).

Frozen Diamond (Su): Starting at ninth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may sacrifice a spell slot, losing it as if it had been cast. He creates a diamond of pure frost, which has a hardness of 100, and 50 hit points. The Speaker for the Ancient Winters may suppress the hardness of the diamond as a free action, and reduce its hit points to 10. When shattered, it deals 2d6 damage per spell level of the spell sacrificed,to all enemies in a 30 foot spread. Diamonds last up to 4 hours, and are reduced to water as soon as the Speaker for the Ancient Winters prepares spells again.
    It should be noted that these can't be stacked for a crazy explosion, especially given that creating one has no action. Call it a full-round to make one, and that they can't stack with each other for increasing damage, and we're good.

Freeze the Heart (Su): Starting at tenth level, if, at any time, an opponent does not move for two rounds in a row, and takes Cold damage in both of those rounds, that opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels + Intelligence or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher) or die. If they make the save, the process must start again. The opponent takes a -2 penalty to the Fortitude save for every time they make the save in a row.
    Irregular save DC is irregular. DC 10+1/2 HD+casting stat mod is more standard, and suggested here.

It doesn't specify a range on this ability. I believe you mean it to only affect creatures in your Constant Winter aura, which would make a lot of sense. It needs a clarification to that effect.

Otherwise, this looks a lot cleaner than the first time I looked at it, and I'm proud to include it in Z-R.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

And, as a supermegaawesome bonus, while I was collecting the above content for inclusion, I realized I made a promise to unosarta and never followed through, for which I'm amazingly sorry. I promised another look at the Speaker, and never came through on that promise, so I'm doing it now. Better to ask forgiveness, I guess. See the spoiler below. No matter what is done with the class, it *is* included, guaranteed. I'm not turning away someone's hard work cause I was stupid and failed to complete a promise.
    No problem, man.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to add a line to this though: "Additionally, the Speaker is immune to the effects of weather inside the confines of the border of Northwind." Or something of that nature. The class needs to be able to survive the weather.
    Good point.

I still think this needs a minimum speed limit of 5 ft, so he's not immobilizing people, but it's probably not critical.
    Well, he can only stack it up to 3 times, if my math is correct.

Round 1: Casts a spell that deals cold damage. Target's speed is reduced by five feet.

Round 2: Casts another spell that deals cold damage. Target's speed is reduced by 10 feet in total.

Round 3: Casts another spell that deals cold damage. Target's speed is reduced by 15 in total.

Round 4: Casts another spell that deals cold damage. The first application falls off, adding in another, the target's speed is reduced by 15 feet in total.

And considering that it takes 3 rounds in total just to get it up to full, and that you have to deal cold damage to the target every round, it seems justified.

I am wary of immediate actions. Let's call this the ability to spontaneously convert into Dispel Magics instead, perhaps?
    This works as well.

Still needs a save. I propose a Fort save (DC=10+1/2 hit dice+casting stat modifier).
    That works.

It should be noted that these can't be stacked for a crazy explosion, especially given that creating one has no action. Call it a full-round to make one, and that they can't stack with each other for increasing damage, and we're good.
    Good point. Actually, I could say that you can only have one in existence at a time.

Irregular save DC is irregular. DC 10+1/2 HD+casting stat mod is more standard, and suggested here.
    It isn't that irregular. Since this class can be accessed by multiple casting classes, and most of them either rely on Intelligence or Wisdom as a casting stat. Therefore, technically, it is (10+Class level+Casting stat).

It doesn't specify a range on this ability. I believe you mean it to only affect creatures in your Constant Winter aura, which would make a lot of sense. It needs a clarification to that effect.
    Yes. Something more like:

Freeze the Heart (Su): Starting at tenth level, if, at any time, an opponent affected by the Speaker for the Ancient Winters' Constant Winter ability, does not move for two rounds in a row, and takes Cold damage from the Speaker of the Ancient Winters in both of those rounds, that opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels + Intelligence or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher) or die. If they make the save, the process must start again. The opponent takes a -2 penalty to the Fortitude save for every time they make the save in a row.

Otherwise, this looks a lot cleaner than the first time I looked at it, and I'm proud to include it in Z-R.
    Thanks!

[Edit]: ... And everything is updated and saved.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 09:45 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nah, I'm not making a town-specific base class. That's just silly.
    You could have Racial Regional Substitue Levels.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

You could have Racial Regional Substitue Levels.
    Oh, I certainly will. Battle Necromancer is going to be an Intolian ACF for instance, and I may make use of the Substitution Level mechanic as well.

I'm just avoiding making more than a handful of new base classes, at least at this time.

EDIT: uno, the speed reduction is mostly concerning when paired with the slow ability of the class.

Also, the save is irregular because it neglects Cha-based casting, or even Str-based casting (which can be acquired). Better to say (+casting stat mod) and include everyone.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-18 at 01:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466

Oh, I certainly will. Battle Necromancer is going to be an Intolian ACF for instance, and I may make use of the Substitution Level mechanic as well.

I'm just avoiding making more than a handful of new base classes, at least at this time.

EDIT: uno, the speed reduction is mostly concerning when paired with the slow ability of the class.

Also, the save is irregular because it neglects Cha-based casting, or even Str-based casting (which can be acquired). Better to say (+casting stat mod) and include everyone.
    ...Mechanics thread... Needed...
    Also, I could probably handle the necromancer substitution levels, if need be. For a variety of different archetypes and regions.
    Necromancers for all!
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

...Mechanics thread... Needed...
    Also, I could probably handle the necromancer substitution levels, if need be. For a variety of different archetypes and regions.
    Necromancers for all!
    I'm waiting on the answer to a question in Board Issues, and then we might just have the Mechanics Guide to Zaaman-Rul.

Now, since there are a total of like 10 base classes (one of which is an NPC class) in that thread, most of which are nowhere near completion, I'll be relying on help from you guys to fill out that thread while I power hard on the base classes. Also, I think almost half a page is going to end up being reserved posts.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

ACF? Sorry, what? And by Regional Substitution Levels, I meant you could have a Xauldred Region Substitute.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

ACF? Sorry, what? And by Regional Substitution Levels, I meant you could have a Xauldred Region Substitute.
    Oh, thought you were familiar with that acronym. ACF stands for Alternate Class Feature. A good example would be the Focused Specialist ACF for Wizards in Complete Mage, or any of the dozen-odd ACFs in PHB2 for all the base classes.

And yeah, I know what you meant. The Substitution Level mechanic is a useful one. I probably will make use of it, but it's low on the priority ladder at the moment.

20. - Top - End - #470

I'm waiting on the answer to a question in Board Issues, and then we might just have the Mechanics Guide to Zaaman-Rul.
    Question answered. <Yes, I checked myself.> And now, can we (finally) have the mechanics thread?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Question answered. <Yes, I checked myself.> And now, can we (finally) have the mechanics thread?
    It's gonna be very empty for awhile, but yes, I'm working on bringing the OP up right now.

Also, damn son, you're all "RAWR MECHANICS ARGH".

22. - Top - End - #472

It's gonna be very empty for awhile, but yes, I'm working on bringing the OP up right now.

Also, damn son, you're all "RAWR MECHANICS ARGH".
    You're the one dangling interesting and new character class concepts over our heads and not letting us know what they do...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

You're the one dangling interesting and new character class concepts over our heads and not letting us know what they do...
    Because they take time and effort for me to crank out. I've got the bare bones, but not the details.

They'll start trickling down in the next few weeks, ideally.

EDIT: And due to a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE misclick, I posted the thread early. Time to get to the reserving of almost half a page of posts.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-18 at 04:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Ok folks, the Mechanical Guide to Zaaman-Rul is up at long last! It's pretty barebones right now, but it's up, and will start filling in over time.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess, but the final ability kind of makes being able to slow the opponent down by quite a bit a necessity.

Good point.

[Edit]: Updated.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 06:41 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

I guess, but the final ability kind of makes being able to slow the opponent down by quite a bit a necessity.
    Thus why I didn't say much about it beyond a personal preference.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Thus why I didn't say much about it beyond a personal preference.
    Ah, well that is fine.

Anyway; I feel like making more stuff, but I don't really know what to make/have any visual inspiration/any creative spark at the moment. Is there something you need homebrewed?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, well that is fine.

Anyway; I feel like making more stuff, but I don't really know what to make/have any visual inspiration/any creative spark at the moment. Is there something you need homebrewed?
    Uh... half of everything?

I've got so much work to crank out (as you can see in the other thread) that I'll welcome anything. Just stay away from classes at the moment (PrCs are fine; avoid ACFs/substitution levels/base classes), if you'd be so kind.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... half of everything?

I've got so much work to crank out (as you can see in the other thread) that I'll welcome anything. Just stay away from classes at the moment (PrCs are fine; avoid ACFs/substitution levels/base classes), if you'd be so kind.
    I meant like a specific idea, or something of the like. An organization, a feat series, a monster.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 07:09 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #480

I'll go make some Ogre racial feats... speaking of which, there are some Xortal feats that you forgot about, a few pages back.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show