New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I'll go make some Ogre racial feats... speaking of which, there are some Xortal feats that you forgot about, a few pages back.
    Right, right. I remember those now. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I meant like a specific idea, or something of the like. And organization, a feat series, a monster.
    I seriously don't care. If you make an organization, make it fairly minor. The major players are already set in place and I don't need more to juggle.

Monsters are probably going to mostly be refluffed stuff from MMs and other, official, sources. Feats are good, items are too. If you make Alykandorian items, they should be steam-reliant, so keep that in mind. Trepek components are welcomed, though I've got a lot already. Intolian armor/weapons are my purview for now. Khavghotani whatever is welcomed. Orlyndolian biotech is welcomed, though I've got ideas for that stuff, so you might want to hold off there.

Really, just pick something and roll with it. And take this discussion to the other thread! I didn't make it to sit, unused!

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Travel Journal of the Honourable Brother Sistin Faerth, Priest of the Ten.

Date: First day of the Octopus Moon, 3126 OM.

I was sent away today. They shoved me off, into the wilderness. They told me to find something out there. To find something against them. All I have found are these rocky wastelands.

I was probably exiled for several reasons. I never agreed with the high priest on matters of politics. I never listened during the sanctions of the Father. I used to run off during the hymns and play with the children surrounding the old monastery. The Father will never forgive me now, I fear.

I miss those days sometimes.

Date: Third day of the Octopus Moon, 3126 OM.

Second day in the wilderness. I saw a goat today. The Ten seem to have abandoned this land.

Sometimes I hear singing from the mountain.

Date: Fourth day of the Octopus Moon, 3126 OM.

I saw a man today. Well, not truly a man. I saw a thing today. It looked hungry. It ran off before I could give it some of my food.

I can no longer see the intolian sun. It has hidden behind those damnable clouds. They mock me, even now. Even the trees in this forsaken place seem to hedge me out. I see shadows everywhere I go, of people. Of death.

I tried singing the hymns to get rid of the fear. It didn’t work.

Date: Sixth day of the Octopus Moon, 3126.

The singing is back. I try to cover my ears, and it won’t go away.

Why won’t it go away?

Date: Fifteenth day of the Octopus Moon, 3126.

I was captured by a goblin tribe. They beat me until blood was pouring out of my mouth, but then turned on each other before they could kill me. I was able to drag myself away from the “encampment” before they noticed me again.

At least I couldn’t hear the singing that night.

Date: Seventeenth day of the Octopus Moon, 3126.

My supplies are running low. After the goblins, I had to forage for grasses and any plants I could find. There were painfully little, and it all tasted bitter and sour.

I ate it anyway.

I don’t know what I am going to do after I run out.

Date: Twenty-first day of the Octopus Moon, 3126.

I hit the plains today. I won’t be able to find much food for a long time, now. The grasses are too tough to eat, and I have no way to hunt, if I even were trained to. I don’t know how I will get through this.

The singing continues.

Date: Twenty-fourth day of the Octopus Moon, 3126.

I saw a group of large creatures, today. I didn’t get a close look. They appeared to be armed, but I was too far away to tell. I hope they find me. I won’t be able to go on without food.

The singing is growing louder. I wonder where--

*the line cuts off, interrupted mid sentence.*
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 08:47 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Well... uh, yeah. That's very... curious. A few thoughts.
    1. Where IS this guy? He's captured in days? That's really fast, ESP since no lowland route to Khavghotan exists.
    2. In the faith of the Ten, all name and titles are capitalized, period. A priest of the Ten would never deviate from this. Jut a thought.
    3. ...What actually happens here? Singing?

Edit: I need to do the day, week, and month sometime soon.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-18 at 08:40 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Well... uh, yeah. That's very... curious. A few thoughts.
    1. Where IS this guy? He's captured in days? That's really fast, ESP since no lowland route to Khavghotan exists.
    2. In the faith of the Ten, all name and titles are capitalized, period. A priest of the Ten would never deviate from this. Jut a thought.
    3. ...What actually happens here? Singing?

Edit: I need to do the day, week, and month sometime soon.
    1. 15 days. So, he had two weeks of straight traveling, and he was mostly trying to get contact with tribes or peoples.
    2. Yeah, I will fix that.
    3. You will find out.

I was mostly just going with Ten months per year, each named after a god, on a mostly lunar basis. Each would have roughly 36 days, give or take.

Travel Journal of the Honourable Brother Sistin Faerth, Priest of the Ten.

Date: Twentieth day of the Devouring Moon, 3126 OM.

I... escaped. I will run... forever. They won't find me. I won't let them.

The singing follows me.

I can hear you.

Date: Twenty-sixth day of the Devouring Moon, 3126 OM.

I feel up to writing again. The last of their scouts are dead. I killed them.

What have I done?

So much... so much pain.

Please... make the voices stop.

I can see you.

Date: Twenty-seventh day of the Devouring Moon, 3126 OM.

They experimented. I was the subject. So... so much... I can't describe. I still feel... the scalpels. My skin burns.

It all burns.

The singing is all that remains.

I can smell you.

Date: Twenty-ninth day of the Devouring Moon, 3126 OM.

Their power... I stole it. I drank it up, and swam in it. It still fills me... with pain. Pain. Pain! Make it stop! Please! Oh, gods, make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!

*there are water stains and blood on the paper.*

The songs are still in my mind.

I can taste your flesh.

Date: Thirty-fifth day of the Devouring Moon, 3126 OM.

I killed more goblins. I burned them. I burned them deep, so that they would never again speak. I burned them until even their bones were but scorch marks upon this desolate and forsaken earth.

The songs told me to.

I can taste your thoughts.

Date: First day of the White Moon, 3126 OM.

I found the ones who made me, so long ago. Who broke and twisted. Who experimented. They were singing.

So I killed them.

I can smell your mind. It is fresh from the conversion.

Date: Third day of the White Moon, 3126 OM.

I can see all of the people I killed. They are following me. All of them. They watch me with dejected and harrowed eyes. I try to burn them, but they stare on through the flames.

They are singing.

I can taste the magic they shaped you with.

Date: Seventh day of the White Moon, 3126 OM.

Sometimes, I think about the gods. I wish I could burn them up, tear them down from their heaven, scorch out their eyes, tear out their flesh, and make them scream. Make them suffer.

Like I did.

I can taste your bitter hate.

Date: Ninth day of the White Moon, 3126 OM.

I wish the dead ones would stop following me. I no longer care where I go. I am just trying to outrun them.

To outrun the song.

They trapped me in here.

Date: Eleventh day of the White Moon, 3126 OM.

My flesh singes. My soul burns. I can feel it being torn apart. Being sapped and twisted, spliced and slowly killed.

I no longer care.

I will throw away this Journal. Let anyone who finds it know this; Don't listen to the song! Don't let it find you!

They trapped me with you.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 09:06 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

... oh gods, I think I can hear it! Make it stop!
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

1. 15 days. So, he had two weeks of straight traveling, and he was mostly trying to get contact with tribes or peoples.
    2. Yeah, I will fix that.
    3. You will find out.
    1. Given that Intolar is the size of the United States, and he's on foot, that's not much. Still, we'll chalk it up to a raiding party or something
    2. K.
    3. Sounds like Nidhoggir, actually. Still not seeing the singing thing, though.

I was mostly just going with Ten months per year, each named after a god, on a mostly lunar basis. Each would have roughly 36 days, give or take.
    Eh, I haven't actually decided on a calender. For now, your thing is fine. I'll pick something clearer at some point.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Given that Intolar is the size of the United States, and he's on foot, that's not much. Still, we'll chalk it up to a raiding party or something
    2. K.
    3. Sounds like Nidhoggir, actually. Still not seeing the singing thing, though.
    1. He was in the very south. It wasn't like the church would just force him to go on foot for a week or two to reach Khavgotan. They dropped him off down there, and that is where he started his Journal. Also, as a note, he spends almost all of the Journal on the eastern coast.
    3. I have two theories here. A) He was being slowly driven insane by an Ogre/Mage in the mountains, and then kidnapped when he reached the plains, to be tortured and experimented on, while in the end having a demon trapped inside of him. If you don't get the demon bit, try highlighting the white spaces in between entries. The demon gave him power, which he in turn used to kill the ogres that took him. He, in the end, became a warlock, capable of killing most everything he met.

B) Now this is very unlikely, and I am not sure it even works, but something more like this:

Spoiler
    Show

No, it isn't likely, and no, I don't think they can even get out there, but considering that he consistently stays on/nearby the coast, and all that separates them is the ocean, it seems sort of possible.

And I kept it intentionally vague for sort of that reason.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

1. He was in the very south. It wasn't like the church would just force him to go on foot for a week or two to reach Khavgotan. They dropped him off down there, and that is where he started his Journal. Also, as a note, he spends almost all of the Journal on the eastern coast.
    Eh, fair enough. Your story, after all.

A) He was being slowly driven insane by an Ogre/Mage in the mountains, and then kidnapped when he reached the plains, to be tortured and experimented on, while in the end having a demon trapped inside of him. If you don't get the demon bit, try highlighting the white spaces in between entries. The demon gave him power, which he in turn used to kill the ogres that took him. He, in the end, became a warlock, capable of killing most everything he met.
    I got the demon thing... though I am curious how one could summon a demon when sans the planes, but nevermind that, we can call it a malignant spirit or whatever, it doesn't really matter. I was guessing it had to do with the ogres, but I wasn't certain. My other guess was...

B) Now this is very unlikely, and I am not sure it even works, but something more like this:

Spoiler
    Show

...oh, here we are then. I originally suspected the qualnargan, and either Memory or Inferno (based on the bits about burning and whatnot), but then tossed it out in favor of Nidhoggir, since the qualnargan themselves can't actually transform other creatures (though I guess I never really mentioned that).

pquote]No, it isn't likely, and no, I don't think they can even get out there, but considering that he consistently stays on/nearby the coast, and all that separates them is the ocean, it seems sort of possible.[/quote]
    Well, he's on the Eastern Coast, along the Black Ocean (for the ocean in the midst of the world is possessed of unnaturally dark water). The Edge is off the Western Coast, along the World's End Ocean (as the ocean along the edges of the map is called; it's believed to be the same by most people in the world, though it obviously isn't).

While it *is* possible for the qualnargan to come to Zaaman-Rul, they rarely do (and by rarely, I mean nigh-never), and never that far inland without great purpose (read: invasion). Even Memory and Phantasm, the most misdirection and stealth themed of them don't range that far afield. Why, no one knows (they easily could without being detected, that's well within their power), but they just don't seem to.

What *would* be possible is for a creature to have contacted, somehow, Nidhoggir, the Death Beast, for that malignant spirit was freed during the Cataclysm. Like its sibling, The Green One, it can grant spells and wild new powers to those that prostrate themselves before it, and perhaps a Khavghotani shaman managed to contact Nidhoggir on accident, and believing it to be an ancestor spirit, was corrupted by it. Eventually, this shaman turned the foulness granted by the Death Beast onto poor Brother Faerth here, destroying him as Nidhoggir destroyed the shaman (for mortals cannot stand the direct presence of a world spirit without incredible pain and suffering).

And I kept it intentionally vague for sort of that reason.
    So I see. I liked it, creepy and a good atmosphere. Fictional journals are always interesting, IMO.

I've been thinking about creating a Lore thread as well, though I'm not sure what's the right location for that one. It'd hold images that thematically fit, fiction written in the world (which I eventually plan to get to), and in-world lore and stories (like that in the Shadow base class entry). I love to write world lore, but I just don't have anywhere to put it right now, so that thread is on the horizon. Right now though, it's somewhat distant, since the mechanical thread is my main focus.

Also, don't despair! The calender and The Lattice entry are both coming, probably this week.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

...oh, here we are then. I originally suspected the qualnargan, and either Memory or Inferno (based on the bits about burning and whatnot), but then tossed it out in favor of Nidhoggir, since the qualnargan themselves can't actually transform other creatures (though I guess I never really mentioned that).
    It's fine. Just a theory.

Well, he's on the Eastern Coast, along the Black Ocean (for the ocean in the midst of the world is possessed of unnaturally dark water). The Edge is off the Western Coast, along the World's End Ocean (as the ocean along the edges of the map is called; it's believed to be the same by most people in the world, though it obviously isn't).
    Oops, meant the western.

While it *is* possible for the qualnargan to come to Zaaman-Rul, they rarely do (and by rarely, I mean nigh-never), and never that far inland without great purpose (read: invasion). Even Memory and Phantasm, the most misdirection and stealth themed of them don't range that far afield. Why, no one knows (they easily could without being detected, that's well within their power), but they just don't seem to.
    Yeah, that is what I assumed.

What *would* be possible is for a creature to have contacted, somehow, Nidhoggir, the Death Beast, for that malignant spirit was freed during the Cataclysm. Like its sibling, The Green One, it can grant spells and wild new powers to those that prostrate themselves before it, and perhaps a Khavghotani shaman managed to contact Nidhoggir on accident, and believing it to be an ancestor spirit, was corrupted by it. Eventually, this shaman turned the foulness granted by the Death Beast onto poor Brother Faerth here, destroying him as Nidhoggir destroyed the shaman (for mortals cannot stand the direct presence of a world spirit without incredible pain and suffering).
    Ooo, that sounds cool. Nidhoggir sounds like a really creepy monster.

I've been thinking about creating a Lore thread as well, though I'm not sure what's the right location for that one. It'd hold images that thematically fit, fiction written in the world (which I eventually plan to get to), and in-world lore and stories (like that in the Shadow base class entry). I love to write world lore, but I just don't have anywhere to put it right now, so that thread is on the horizon. Right now though, it's somewhat distant, since the mechanical thread is my main focus.

Also, don't despair! The calender and The Lattice entry are both coming, probably this week.
    You could probably keep this thread as the "lore" thread, so to speak.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Oops, meant the western.
    Ah, good, good.

Ooo, that sounds cool. Nidhoggir sounds like a really creepy monster.
    Nidhoggir is one of the three world spirits, the living incarnation of the shadow magic at Z-R's core, it better be mildly creepy.

You could probably keep this thread as the "lore" thread, so to speak.
    Yes, I could. We'll see when we get there.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Nidhoggir is one of the three world spirits, the living incarnation of the shadow magic at Z-R's core, it better be mildly creepy.
    What is the other one that isn't Nidhoggir or the Green One?

Yes, I could. We'll see when we get there.
    OK.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Now now, I can't go spoiling everything, now can I?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Now now, I can't go spoiling everything, now can I?

Yes?

How prevalent is the corruption from Nidhoggir?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

It was the moon, wasn't it?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-19 at 05:14 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Yes?
    ...XD?

How prevalent is the corruption from Nidhoggir?
    Not amazingly. The Death Beast cannot stand light, and so never travels to the lit face of Zaaman-Rul. The qualnargan are its doing however, so that's an example of what Nidhoggir's effect is on even the most powerful creatures (since the explorers that became the qualnargan were powerful, they survived the corrupting influence of Nidhoggir on their bodies, and that only barely in many cases).

EDIT: DM, that's a great guess, but no.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-01-19 at 05:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496

Is it sleeping under Intolar, possibly in the Lattice?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

And if one was to cast a sunlight spell and/or create a small star-like reaction in the core...

Call me Apoc.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Is it sleeping under Intolar, possibly in the Lattice?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    And if one was to cast a sunlight spell and/or create a small star-like reaction in the core...
    You'd have bigger issues than waking up something bad.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

You'd have bigger issues than waking up something bad.
    I assume due to shadow magic? And define "bigger issues", that sounds ominous.

Call me Apoc.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    I assume due to shadow magic? And define "bigger issues", that sounds ominous.
    It should be self-apparent. You're starting a star-like reaction *inside* a planet. That's... not going to end well. We're talking about a massive, unrestrained, self-sustaining, fusion reaction inside the core of a planet. It could be Mercury and it wouldn't matter, that planet's gonna have issues, since planets aren't really meant for that.

To make matters worse, you're doing all that in Z-R, where the core is very nearly exposed to space. Now we have a star's fusion reactions taking place inside a very unstable physical shell. Now, I don't know enough physics to tell you what would happen here, but I'm smart enough to guess it's gonna be ugly.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Bugbear in the Playground

A rocket propelled planet! Genius!
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    A rocket propelled planet! Genius!
    That explodes on impact!

Hmmm...

*Considers Zaaman-Rul 41k, where planets are used as rockets* In the grim darkness of the distant future, when you thought there was nothing left to get worse...puppies are breakfast!

I can see potential in this idea.

And now I'll follow the thread until time zone issues mean that I wake up to 1 1/2 pages of screen-long replies.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-01-27 at 03:27 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

23. - Top - End - #503

So, just curious, how's progress on the Lattice coming?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

So, just curious, how's progress on the Lattice coming?
    Slowly. I've been ill, been feeling some pressure to get the Mechanical thread really running well, and have some fairly good sized school work to handle as well. It is coming though. Eventually. Ugh.

See, DM? This is why I didn't want two threads. I can't keep up with both.

25. - Top - End - #505

Just curious: Do illumians (and possibly other races not listed) exist in Zaaman-Rul? If so, how would you integrate them into the setting? Like, use pre-existing fluff, or have a unique bit of fluff for every race?

Why do I feel the need to write more questions, even if I don't have any?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-02-12 at 11:00 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Just curious: Do illumians (and possibly other races not listed) exist in Zaaman-Rul? If so, how would you integrate them into the setting? Like, use pre-existing fluff, or have a unique bit of fluff for every race?

Oh my gods, please say yes! I love Illumians, they are one of my favorite races.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Anything currently unlisted is generally assumed to not exist. Racial tensions are relevant enough in Z-R that I can't afford to just cram in everything.

No idea.

Oh my gods, please say yes! I love Illumians, they are one of my favorite races.
    Sorry man, they're not one of mine, so I didn't include them to begin with, and as the setting evolved, I didn't find a place for them.

I mean, one could add them in their personal games as a sub-species of humanity, but that would change the interior political and social landscape of Intolar, which has some very large ramifications across the setting, so take care if you choose to do such a thing.

28. - Top - End - #508

Question: Is there any lore or racial affinity for binding and/or warlocking in Zaaman-Rul? Aside from the vestiges being spirits from the Spirit Wind?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Question: Is there any lore or racial affinity for binding and/or warlocking in Zaaman-Rul? Aside from the vestiges being spirits from the Spirit Wind?
    Warlocks are all over the place. Their lore is fairly undeveloped, so if you're interested, go for it. Given that there is no planar access, their lore should be more focused on internal strength or pacts with magic/gods.

Vestiges are, as stated, spirits lost on the Wind, as is wont to sometimes happen when spirits are a bit too strong-willed to accept death, but not enough to actually cling to life. Binders themselves are not regarded poorly like elsewhere, instead being thought of as kind individuals giving the dead another chance to walk the world, and hopefully find some rest so they can move on. Indeed, some vestiges do move on to their final resting place over many years.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Vestiges are, as stated, spirits lost on the Wind, as is wont to sometimes happen when spirits are a bit too strong-willed to accept death, but not enough to actually cling to life. Binders themselves are not regarded poorly like elsewhere, instead being thought of as kind individuals giving the dead another chance to walk the world, and hopefully find some rest so they can move on. Indeed, some vestiges do move on to their final resting place over many years.
    This sounds like a Prestige Class. Something that puts vestiges to rest, dealing with their problems, gaining strength from their final release, etc.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show