New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Zaaman-Rul, the Dying World

B-wuh Wuuuuh? No halflings?!? Other than the fact that you just tore out my heart and stamped it into the ground so hard my soul combined with the planet and now I have the powers of EARTHLORD . This is freaking awesome.
    Last edited by IcarusWings; 2010-10-17 at 05:03 AM.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Incarnum could work in an interesting way, with some refluffing. Maybe they sort of steal energy from the Spirit Wind and use it?

For now, I'll take a look at what you've put up while I was asleep.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Realms:

Intolar: Humanity.
    Orlyndol: Illithids (NOT MIND FLAYERS).
    Alykandor: Pale Elves.
    Khavghotan: Goblins, Hobgoblins, Ogres, Varags, Gnolls, Kobolds, Ibixians.
    Xortal: Tasloi.
    Jor'koth (not on the map, but just off the eastern coast of Khavghotan): Orogs.
    Northwind: Trepek.
    Tharkrixghantix: Dragons.
    The dark side of the planet: Qualnargan.
    Underground: Dwarves, True Elves.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Incarnum could work in an interesting way, with some refluffing. Maybe they sort of steal energy from the Spirit Wind and use it?
    That's Binding, actually. Pact Magic has been refluffed to represent the act of snatching souls left adrift on the Wind and offering them another chance to earn their final rest. However, due to some facet of their souls, they never will get that final rest, but they keep answering summons, desperate to end their eternal torment.

For now, I'll take a look at what you've put up while I was asleep.
    Enjoy.

Hopefully, I'll finish out Intolar today, and if I don't, I'll still be certain to crank out the racial stats so you can see what all the player races are gonna look like.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-17 at 11:11 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, thanks for pointing out the difference between illithids and mindflayers.
    On the other hand, I recall seeing in the other thread that they still have extract so... aren't they still flaying minds?

Also, if you want to make shadow magic more palatable, I have a bit of experience with that. Feel free to use anything that looks appealing.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Ah, thanks for pointing out the difference between illithids and mindflayers.
    It's relevant here. The phrase "mind flayer" is a construction of worlds where Illithids are evil mind-destroying overlords who like slaves and slaughter people wholesale. This world has never observed that, and never will. Here, they are referred to by their racial name, ie. illithid.

On the other hand, I recall seeing in the other thread that they still have extract so... aren't they still flaying minds?
    Biological necessity. They still can extract brains, but they never do.

Also, if you want to make shadow magic more palatable, I have a bit of experience with that. Feel free to use anything that looks appealing.
    I was going to ask you and peacenlove for permission to make use of the Pact and Shadow Magic expansion you two did, actually. I've read through it and I really like it all. It's excellent work, and I'd be honored if you'd permit me to make it a part of this setting.

Also, look for the racial stats to go up shortly. Just got back from a nice day with my dad (rare event, lemme tell you), so I'll get right to work.

EDIT: Racial stats for every PC race save for the Tasloi, Varags, Gnolls, and Ibixians are up, and I'm not sold on the Ibixians. I may just cut them, since they've no good role at the moment. Also, I need aid with the Ogre stats! They're... bland, and I hate that.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-17 at 09:16 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You can use whatever you like from my work, you got the word files I believe I also updated my homebrew here on Gitp as to be more ... readable so you can safely link to it now.
    ( It's been a while however i was motivated to homebrew something actually, and even then the mastermind of balance in my group has left so whatever i make now is wildly unbalanced at best )
    Also, as i said before, i still DM games with Realms material (3rd year now, from levels 1 to 15), so any advice you want you can ask

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I appreciate that, peace, but I'd like both of your approvals before I touch the material. Don't want to step on any toes, you see.

Also, I'm taking any and all advice/criticism that you can dish out at me. This is a massive project, and doing it with one guy is waaaaaay too much work. I can't be the author, editor, proofreader, balance checker, and publisher all at once!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

...Feel free to use anything that looks appealing.
    You may want to have those eyes checked, argus.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

You may want to have those eyes checked, argus.
    Harhar. Just cause I wear glasses doesn't make me blind.

Saying "feel free" isn't strictly "yes you can incorporate my work into your setting". More like a "you can use it in games". I'll take this as a yes though, I guess. In that case, yay! I get to finally do something with that work and maybe make shadow magic a bit more useful and prevalent in Z-R. Now, to figure out how to alter the Shadowcaster/make more Shadow Magic base classes.... Why yes my degree in pedantry is coming along nicely thank you :P
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-17 at 10:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oooh, racial stats.

Hmmm... it might just be my imagination here but compared with the stuff like the Trepec, Ogre, and Goblin, it looks a bit like the Orog and Dwarf are getting the short end of the stick.

Goblins, for example get +6 dex, good speed (plus climbing), darkvision and the ability to get a free +20 bonus to an attack 1/day in exchange all in exchange for a slight stat deficit.

Dwarves, meanwhile, have an equal stat deficit but are compensated with one ability that only works in cities, one ability that only works in caverns/corners, a couple proficiencies, and an (admittedly useful) strength check bonus. I'd honestly eliminate the stat deficit and return either darkvision or stonecunning back to the race (both of which still make some sense here, seeing as these dwarves are also cave-dwelling creatures).

Then again, if that dwarven weapon proficiency lets you use dwarven grenades (dwarven doorbusters? dwarven wallcrashers? dwarven tunnelcrushers? dwarven annihilators? dwarven SOLUTIONs?), I'd be willing to forgive an awful lot.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-18 at 12:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, racial stats.

Hmmm... it might just be my imagination here but compared with the stuff like the Trepec, Ogre, and Goblin, it looks a bit like the Orog and Dwarf are getting the short end of the stick.
    1. Trepek. There's a "k". Actually, that reminds me of something. I need to post the pronunciation guide sometime. Trepek is pronounced with a very hard "k" sound on the end. It's a sharp, biting sound. Tre-PEK! Yeah.

2. ...wait a moment here. You're saying the Ogre is fine? The Goblin is a bit OP I think, though not as good as you think due to something you missed, but the Ogre, the most boring race here, is fine?

3. Yeah, Dwarves are a race that need more stuff. Orogs too, though they're better off.

Goblins, for example get +6 dex, good speed (plus climbing), darkvision and the ability to get a free +20 bonus to an attack 1/day in exchange all in exchange for a slight stat deficit.
    They suffer -2s in everything but Wisdom. That's not insignificant. Now, for op-fu, Goblins are a dream, but for most characters, that spread of heavy -2s is going to be an issue. Would perhaps making the Con or Str a -4 compensate?

Dwarves, meanwhile, have an equal stat deficit but are compensated with one ability that only works in cities, one ability that only works in caverns/corners, a couple proficiencies, and an (admittedly useful) strength check bonus. I'd honestly eliminate the stat deficit and return either darkvision or stonecunning back to the race (both of which still make some sense here, seeing as these dwarves are also cave-dwelling creatures).
    ...dwarves don't lose -8 points overall? They lose -6, but 4 of those are in Cha, a dump stat to nearly every class. I figured that wasn't too bad, but alright, maybe I need to re-check that.

I thought they had Darkvision though. I'll... go fix that. Do you have any ideas for a nice fluffy-yet-useful ability for them to have?

Then again, if that dwarven weapon proficiency lets you use dwarven grenades (dwarven doorbusters? dwarven wallcrashers? dwarven annihilators? dwarven SOLUTIONs?), I'd be willing to forgive an awful lot.
    I like that. Unfortunately, no, dwarves are actually alchemical, not technological, in this world. Dwarves like to do things like hurl bags full of alchemical fire and tanglefoot goo at people (they call them durchek, webs of fire).

EDIT: Also, Khavghotan is partially updated. Nothing seriously interesting yet, but a few nuggets of crunch for you to chew on overnight. Darkfire, it's potential uses, and the spell that Kobolds can cast are all there.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-18 at 12:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Human:
    -+2 to any one stat, -2 to any one stat. Humans are versatile.
    Can you opt to take the bonus and penalty to the same ability score, effectively keeping whatever you rolled/bought?

-Medium size.
    -Humans gain one bonus feat at 1st level.
    -Humans gain the Skill Focus feat at 1st level for any skill they wish. This skill is forever considered a class skill. From birth all humans are trained by the Empire to perform some task, and so they are naturally good at that task.
    -Humans gain a +1 racial bonus on attacks against creatures with the goblinoid subtype. Due to the ancient blood feuds between Intolar and Khavghotan, humans are skilled at fighting goblinoids.
    -LA +0
    I like the Skill Focus change from ordinary humans. Otherwise, fairly standard.

Surface "Pale" Elves
    -+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Con. The pale elves are brilliant and nimble, due to their work with technological devices, but they lack caution and are not very durable.
    -Medium size.
    -Pale elves gain Skill Focus (any one Craft skill) at first level. Surface elves value the act of creation.
    -Pale elves gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (steamblades) or (steamguns). Elven society places a great deal of heft on being trained with their signature weapons.
    -Pale elves start the game with either a steamblade or a steamgun (same as they chose the feat for). This weapon should be well described by the PC and is a part of their heritage and inheritance.
    -LA: +0

Pale Elf Note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pale elves gain a free weapon at level one. There are culture reasons for this. The weapon details are complex, but they're 2d6, 19-20/x2 weapons with the ability to burn actions to increase damage and/or attack. I don't feel this is OP currently, but since the weapon isn't up yet, I can't judge it atm. I'll post the weaponry sooner than later, so people can crunch it out and see if it's broken or not.
    I'm not sure if I should be happy with giving equipment for free just for being a specific race. I am, I think. I like it.

True Elves:
    -+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -2 Cha. The true elves are tough and sharp, due to living in their harsh underground environments, but they lack higher education and many of the social graces of the surface races.
    -Medium size.
    -Dark elves gain Darkvision 60 ft.
    -Dark elves gain a +2 racial bonus to Stealthy checks. Long centuries living underground in the dark and still environment of their birth have taught true elves to move quietly, lest foes arrive.
    -Dark elves gain a +1 racial bonus to their caster level when casting spells that involve vegetation or animals. The true elves are excellent at promoting growth of food crops and animals.
    -Dark elves are automatically proficient with the claw bracer and the chakram. These weapons are useful in the tight quarters of their underground environments.

True Elf Note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I use Pathfinder skills, thus the Stealthy thing.
    Almost every racial feature entry says "dark elves" instead of "true elves." Fix it.

Hello, druids/incarnates. Welcome to Bliss.

Normally, I don't like bonuses to caster level, but this bonus is fairly situational, it seems. Does it help with summoning animals by spell?

Dwarves:
    -+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha. Dwarves are strong and tough, perfectly suited to the caves they inhabit, but due to their hive mind link, they are insular and crass.
    -Medium size. Though called “dwarves”, they are not dwarfs. The name stems from a human insult, not stature, though they tend towards the short end of the spectrum.
    -Hive Mind: Dwarves share a city-based hive mind. While in a dwarven hivecity, all dwarves within the city gain a number of benefits. They gain +4 on all Int-based skill checks. They can automatically sense the location and surface thoughts of all dwarves within 100 ft. They may communicate telepathically with all dwarves within 50 ft of themselves. Finally, they may pose questions of the hivecity itself, permitting them to make a special Knowledge check on any topic (normal DC for the knowledge, the check is 1d20+the dwarf’s Int bonus [this includes the +4 bonus]+1 for each size category of the city [thorp, hamlet, villiage, etc]). A dwarf may only call upon the hivecity’s knowledge once per day. A dwarf suffers no ill effects from not being in a hivecity, though most dwarves are decidedly unhappy outside of their cities.
    -Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Strength checks. Dwarves are stocky and can bring quite a lot of strength to bear.
    -Tunnel Fighting: When fighting in a 5-foot square that is next to at least two walls (ceilings do not count) dwarves gain a +1 bonus to attacks and AC. They are trained to fight in cramped quarters.
    -Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves treat all weapons with “dwarven” in the name as martial weapons.
    That's kind of fun, though it's likely that adventuring dwarves would be brought out of their element quite a few times. Those ability scores will help make up for it, though, in most cases. I like the bonus to Strength checks better than the sure-footed/sturdy trait "generic" dwarves get.

Still, I'll have to read through their fluff and see if I can think of anything flavorful.

Orogs:
    -+2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Dex, -2 Int. Orogs are strong and very charismatic, but they are not very flexible nor bright.
    -Medium size.
    -Orogs gain +2 on all Charisma-based skill checks. Orogs are excellent talkers, despite their appearance.
    -Orogs are naturally ferocious, and as such do not lose consciousness when they are reduced to below zero hp. Instead, they remain active with no penalties until reduced to enough hp to be killed. If a spell or effect would render an orog disabled, they simply ignore it.
    -Orogs automatically fail saving throws against qualnargan spells, spell-like abilities, powers, mysteries, vestige powers, and everything similar. As orogs were slaves for thousands of years, they still retain their vulnerabilities.
    -Orogs are automatically proficient with the net and the bastard sword, having been drilled for years to learn them, they teach the skills to their children.
    -LA +0
    Ooh, free hit points.

I still like these guys.

Illithids:
    -+4 Int, -2 Con, -2 Dex. Illithids are utterly brilliant, but frail and clumsy.
    -Medium size.
    -Illithids have telepathy out to 100 ft. They also gain the benefit of the Mindsight feat, but only for other illithids, and they may telepathically speak with any illithid found in this fashion, regardless if they can see one another or not.
    -Illithids have four natural tentacle attacks. Each deals 1d4+1/2 Str bludgeoning damage.
    -Illithids can extract an opponents brain with a successful grapple check and a full-round action. This kills any opponent for whom losing their brain is an issue.
    -Illithids gain 2 power points at 1st level. They gain no powers known however, so they must take levels in a class to gain powers.
    -LA +0
    The natural attacks should deal 1d4+1/2 Str modifier bludgeoning damage.

That brain extraction is pretty dang powerful. I can see a lot of grapple builds coming out of this race. Ah, well. You're forced to do it against a single enemy, and it takes a full-round action. It should be okay...

Goblins:
    -+6 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con, -2 Cha, -2 Int. Goblins are absurdly agile, but lack in almost every other area.
    -Small size.
    -Goblins are Humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
    -Goblins have a base land speed of 40 ft and a Climb speed of 10 ft. Goblins have learned to move fast and scale rocks and walls with speed to evade their larger cousins.
    -Goblins gain a +1 racial bonus on attacks against humans. Due to the ancient blood feuds between Intolar and Khavghotan, goblins are skilled at fighting humans.
    -Goblins gain the supernatural ability to cast a true strike spell when attacking a flat-footed opponent once per day as an immediate action. Goblins are the epitome of dirty fighting.
    -Goblins have Darkvision 60ft.
    You forgot the "LA +0" line on this one.

Other than that, I like them. I'm seeing a trend in that.

Hobgoblin:
    -+2 Str, +2 Int, -4 Wis. Hobgoblins are strong and smart, but are not very clever creatures.
    -Medium size.
    -Hobgoblins are Humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
    -Hobgoblins are automatically proficient with the halberd and the spear. These weapons are used heavily in the fortress cities of their birth, and hobgoblins use them ceaselessly from adolescence onwards.
    -Demoralizing Yell (Su): Hobgoblins may shout once/encounter in their native tongue. This yell causes all non-goblinoids who hear it to become shaken for 1 round/hit die of the hobgoblin that used it, with a Fort save (DC 10+1/2 HD of the user+the user's Cha mod) to negate. A creature can only be affected by Demoralizing Yell once per day, make or fail the save.
    -Paranoia: The crushing paranoia and brutal environment of the hobgoblin cities has bred a lack of social skills into hobgoblin stock. Hobgoblins suffer a -4 racial bonus to Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff checks
    -LA +0
    Demoralizing yell is some fun. Why is it supernatural, though?

Ogre:
    -+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -4 Dex, -4 Cha. Ogres are strong, tough, and wise, but very clumsy and very abrasive and harsh.
    -Medium size.
    -Ogres have a base land speed of 20 ft.
    -Ogres are Humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
    -Powerful Build: The physical stature of an ogre lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever an ogre is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the ogre is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An ogre is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An ogre can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    -LA +0
    They seem alright, though...boring.

I'll read through their fluff and try to come up with suggestions for racial features.

Kobold:
    -+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, -6 Cha
    -Small size.
    -Kobolds are Monstrous Humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
    -Spell Affinity: Kobolds are masters of both death and fire magic, and as such gain a +1 racial caster level bonus on all necromancy and fire spells
    -Kobolds gain the ability to cast create darkflame once per day. (See the Magic of Khavghotan section above for details).
    -Kobolds gain a +4 racial bonus to Stealthy and Survival checks. Living in cramped underground warrens has forced them to learn to adapt to anything.
    -Xenophobia: Kobolds suffer from severe xenophobia, and so gain a -10 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.
    darkvision 60ft
    It should say "racial penalty to Diplomacy checks," not "racial bonus..."

Other than that, they seem okay.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-10-18 at 02:00 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

In Illithids, you should specify that it needs to be a psionic class.

Reading over the new stuff.

Edit: Awwww, you changed the name. I really liked the name "The Furious Anarchy of Strength".

Alright, other than those things I agree with Temo, for the most part.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-10-18 at 04:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The dwarf gets +4 to abilities which is offset by -6 in penalties, resulting in a -2 deficet. Goblins gain +6 to abilties (okay, ability) which is offset by -8, also a -2 deficet. In this respect, the two races are pretty equal in my book as far as ability scores. If you'd want my advice on a fluff ability, I'd either return stone-cunning (as these guys are still cave-dwelling) or, more likely, try to cash in on their telepathic abilities, allowing them to form more shallow links to non-dwarves either for a bonus to social skills/sense motive, as a telepathic link that only conveys emotions, or even as a lesser version of the status spell. In addition, if their warfare relies on alchemy, you may want to give them a +2/+4 bonus to Craft (alchemy) checks and free them from requiring a caster level (if pathfinder still has that restriction, which I'm not sure it does). If their culture is based on alchemy and mining, maybe give a +4 bonus to either profession (mining) or to craft (alchemy) checks.

Also, I do kind of think that the ogres are balanced. Powerful build seems to be worth a +1 LA almost by itself according to WotC seeing as it comes with its own set of bonuses (grapple and bull rush as if a size larger, being larger for purposes of effects like swallow whole, and using larger weapons without penalty). Also, unlike either the goliath or half-giant, this guy is still a humanoid, meaning that enlarge person still works on him. All of that, combined with fairly focused ability score bonuses and penalties, makes it pretty balanced from the get-go. It's okay if you want to add some small fluff ability relating to their culture like a +2 bonus to a couple skill checks (or if you add a larger benefit that seems unrelated to the primary use of ogres, such as giving a +1 bonus to caster level for 1 round after slaying a humanoid or monstrous humanoid) but this guy really doesn't seem to need much, if anything. It's bland... but perfectly balanced.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Just looking at the races quickly, the two things that strike me the most are that, from level 1 on, Illithids can instagib anybody with a grapple check... that's rather powerful.

The other thing is Orogs. Being immune to any kind of magic that disables them is nuts. Seriously. That shouldn't happen. Just getting to go on below 0 HP is enough for being tough, not basically being able to ignore any spell that isn't direct damage (and being able to ignore the side effects of those). Then they also auto-fail saves against a certain group... which just screams "Railroad the Orog character." I'd prefer it be a save penalty, at least for PC characters.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Can you opt to take the bonus and penalty to the same ability score, effectively keeping whatever you rolled/bought?
    Yes.

Almost every racial feature entry says "dark elves" instead of "true elves." Fix it.
    Derp. Will do.

Normally, I don't like bonuses to caster level, but this bonus is fairly situational, it seems. Does it help with summoning animals by spell?
    Unsure. Maybe?

The natural attacks should deal 1d4+1/2 Str modifier bludgeoning damage.
    SUPERDERP.

That brain extraction is pretty dang powerful. I can see a lot of grapple builds coming out of this race. Ah, well. You're forced to do it against a single enemy, and it takes a full-round action. It should be okay...
    Thought about something interesting overnight about this.

You forgot the "LA +0" line on this one.
    TRIPLEDERP.

Demoralizing yell is some fun. Why is it supernatural, though?
    Hobgoblins are a magically created mutation, as are all goblinoids save goblins. I figured making is Su was appropriate.

It should say "racial penalty to Diplomacy checks," not "racial bonus..."
    QUADRUPLEDERP.

In Illithids, you should specify that it needs to be a psionic class.
    Why? I said "powers", which only come from psionic classes.

Edit: Awwww, you changed the name. I really liked the name "The Furious Anarchy of Strength".
    I can change it back.

The dwarf gets +4 to abilities which is offset by -6 in penalties, resulting in a -2 deficet. Goblins gain +6 to abilties (okay, ability) which is offset by -8, also a -2 deficet. In this respect, the two races are pretty equal in my book as far as ability scores. If you'd want my advice on a fluff ability, I'd either return stone-cunning (as these guys are still cave-dwelling) or, more likely, try to cash in on their telepathic abilities, allowing them to form more shallow links to non-dwarves either for a bonus to social skills/sense motive, as a telepathic link that only conveys emotions, or even as a lesser version of the status spell. In addition, if their warfare relies on alchemy, you may want to give them a +2/+4 bonus to Craft (alchemy) checks and free them from requiring a caster level (if pathfinder still has that restriction, which I'm not sure it does). If their culture is based on alchemy and mining, maybe give a +4 bonus to either profession (mining) or to craft (alchemy) checks.
    Ooooh, I see where you're coming from. Ok, I get it now.

I like that limited social bond idea. What add something like the following two things to dwarves?
    -Group Mind: Dwarves outside of their home cities tend to form miniature versions of their home hive minds with close companions. If a dwarf spends a week or more in the close company of at least three other unique individuals, they may opt to form a group mind with those individuals (the others must agree to this). Each member in a dwarven group mind gains limited telepathy with one another (20 ft) and a +2 circumstance bonus to Int checks. Additionally, all members of a group mind gain a +1 circumstance bonus on attacks as long as all other members are within 30 ft of another member of the group mind. Group minds must remain within 100 ft of each other at all times, or risk dissolution. For each 100 ft that a member of the group is out of range of the others, there is a cumulative 1% chance the group mind dissolves and must be reconstructed.
    -Dwarves gain a +4 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.

Also, I do kind of think that the ogres are balanced. Powerful build seems to be worth a +1 LA almost by itself according to WotC seeing as it comes with its own set of bonuses (grapple and bull rush as if a size larger, being larger for purposes of effects like swallow whole, and using larger weapons without penalty). Also, unlike either the goliath or half-giant, this guy is still a humanoid, meaning that enlarge person still works on him. All of that, combined with fairly focused ability score bonuses and penalties, makes it pretty balanced from the get-go. It's okay if you want to add some small fluff ability relating to their culture like a +2 bonus to a couple skill checks (or if you add a larger benefit that seems unrelated to the primary use of ogres, such as giving a +1 bonus to caster level for 1 round after slaying a humanoid or monstrous humanoid) but this guy really doesn't seem to need much, if anything. It's bland... but perfectly balanced.
    What if they became Monstrous Humanoids? Thoughts then?

I just don't like boring races, and they're boring, which makes me RAEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Just looking at the races quickly, the two things that strike me the most are that, from level 1 on, Illithids can instagib anybody with a grapple check... that's rather powerful.
    Been thinking about a "limited extraction" ability instead. I... just don't know how to do that in a way that I like. I want them to have some flavor of grapple thing, but yeah, maybe the brainkill is a bit much. Thoughts here?

The other thing is Orogs. Being immune to any kind of magic that disables them is nuts. Seriously. That shouldn't happen. Just getting to go on below 0 HP is enough for being tough, not basically being able to ignore any spell that isn't direct damage (and being able to ignore the side effects of those). Then they also auto-fail saves against a certain group... which just screams "Railroad the Orog character." I'd prefer it be a save penalty, at least for PC characters.
    ...that refers entirely to the Disabled condition, and nothing else.

Also, considering who and what the Qualnargan are, that's not a concern. Since they're the Big Bads of the setting and are not going to enter most campaigns until a high level (where getting saves to the point that you're going to auto-fail anyways isn't that hard), I didn't figure it was a real penalty. I'll change it to, say, a -8 instead if that'd be better to look at.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For the dwarf, what about something like:

Dwarves:
    -+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. Dwarves are strong and tough, perfectly suited to the caves they inhabit, but due to their hive mind link, they are insular and crass.
    -Medium size. Though called “dwarves”, they are not dwarfs. The name stems from a human insult, not stature, though they tend towards the short end of the spectrum.
    -Hive Mind: Dwarves possess the ability to create and share in a hive-mind. While in a dwarven hivecity, all dwarves gain a number of benefits. They automatically sense the location and surface thoughts of all dwarves within 100 feet. They may communicate telepathically with dwarves within 50 feet of themselves. Lastly, the dwarves gain a +4 bonus to Int-based skill checks. While outside of a hivecity, a dwarf can build a weaker hivemind between itself and up to 10 others individuals so long as none of them have traveled further than a mile away from any others for at least one consecutive week. In such a hivemind, all members can sense the location and surface thoughts of each other within 50 feet, can communicate telepathically within 25 feet, and gain a +2 bonus on Int-based skill checks. These bonuses remain until at least one member of the hivemind dies or travels at least one mild away from another member.
    -Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Strength checks. Dwarves are stocky and can bring quite a lot of strength to bear.
    -Tunnel Fighting: You take no penalty to AC or attack rolls while squeezing into or through a tight place. When fighting in a 5-foot square that is next to at least two walls (ceilings do not count) dwarves gain a +1 bonus to attacks and AC. They are trained to fight in cramped quarters.
    -Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves treat all weapons with “dwarven” in the name as martial weapons.

• I lowered the Cha penalty a bit as the idea of creating sub-hiveminds seems to suggest that even though they're crass, dwarves have a need to belong to a community. Also, even with the alterations, I doubt that this race is worth a stat deficit anyways.
    • Also, I reworded the hivemind so that it loses its knowledge check function but instead allows the sub-hiveminds to work as normal ones with halved benefits. I also put a reasonable but large radius on how far adventurers can travel from each other and still retain some benefit (just the bonus to Int-skills, really) as your system of percentages isn't exactly clear (do you check if it breaks every round? every minute? every time that someone makese a movement that ends outside the radius?)
    • Lastly, I added more to tunnel fighting so that it actually aids a bit more specifically with fighting in tunnels (rather than just waiting in the corner of a room).

On the topic of illithids... the extract class feature honestly struck me as something of an afterthought what with the healthy Int bonus, Telepathy, SLA, and power points being so shiny. It probably wouldn't hurt the race that much if you altered it so that the illithid deals a mere 1d6 Int damage when it makes a successful grapple check against a pinned foe.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-18 at 02:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

For the dwarf, what about something like:

Dwarves:
    -+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. Dwarves are strong and tough, perfectly suited to the caves they inhabit, but due to their hive mind link, they are insular and crass.
    -Hive Mind: Dwarves possess the ability to create and share in a hive-mind. While in a dwarven hivecity, all dwarves gain a number of benefits. They automatically sense the location and surface thoughts of all dwarves within 100 feet. They may communicate telepathically with dwarves within 50 feet of themselves. Lastly, the dwarves gain a +4 bonus to Int-based skill checks. While outside of a hivecity, a dwarf can build a weaker hivemind between itself and up to 10 others individuals so long as none of them have traveled further than a mile away from any others for at least one consecutive week. In such a hivemind, all members can sense the location and surface thoughts of each other within 50 feet, can communicate telepathically within 25 feet, and gain a +2 bonus on Int-based skill checks. These bonuses remain until at least one member of the hivemind dies or travels at least one mild away from another member.
    -Tunnel Fighting: You take no penalty to AC or attack rolls while squeezing into or through a tight place. When fighting in a 5-foot square that is next to at least two walls (ceilings do not count) dwarves gain a +1 bonus to attacks and AC. They are trained to fight in cramped quarters.
    Acceptable. I like it. Thanks. You get credit.

On the topic of illithids... the extract class feature honestly struck me as something of an afterthought what with the healthy Int bonus, Telepathy, SLA, and power points being so shiny. It probably wouldn't hurt the race that much if you altered it so that the illithid deals a mere 1d6 Int damage when it makes a successful grapple check against a pinned foe.
    It's a vestige from an older time of the setting. See, I've run through about... 5 variants of the setting now? In one, Illithids were a race of warrior-assassins who killed people by extraction. I've just kept the ability since then. I don't want to totally eliminate the flavor though. Thoughts about a possible flavorful replacement?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A flavorful replacement, eh?

How about (a) allowing the illithid to remove the target's brain with a successful coup de grace using their tentacles (meaning that illithids don't have to waste time grappling and thus waking up sleeping monsters to extract their brains) and (b) allowing all tentacle attacks against grappled foes to count as coup de graces (meaning that they have a chance of failing but that even a failure can do some real damage)? You could even add a +2 or a +5 bonus to the DC of fortitude saves made to resist death from such a coup de grace.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-18 at 03:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

How about (a) allowing the illithid to remove the target's brain with a successful coup de grace using their tentacles (meaning that illithids don't have to waste time grappling and thus waking up sleeping monsters to extract their brains) and (b) allowing all tentacle attacks against grappled foes to count as coup de graces (meaning that they have a chance of failing but that even a failure can do some real damage)? You could even add a +2 or a +5 bonus to the DC of fortitude saves made to resist death from such a coup de grace.
    That strikes me as better than grappling, actually. I was thinking more like on a successful grapple check deal stat damage or something, to show that the ability once existed but no longer does with such strength. I dunno, I'm having issues with this particular ability.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was thinking more like on a successful grapple check deal stat damage or something...
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Me, four posts ago
    It probably wouldn't hurt the race that much if you altered it so that the illithid deals a mere 1d6 Int damage when it makes a successful grapple check against a pinned foe.
    I think we were about on the same page, captain.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-18 at 03:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Prepare to have your mind blown.

I think we were about on the same page, captain.
    Dammit I need to not post while sleepy. I'm loltarded, sorry dude. I'll go fiddle with that then. Might make it 1d4 instead of 1d6 though.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. Not much more to say yet, other than that Darkfire has outrageously fun possibilities. Like, say, getting it burning and then releasing it upwind of Intolar people, causing them to be burned by it. If it works the way I think it does, that is.

So, on a large-scale level, how much Darkfire can the kobolds make? If it's a lot, I'm imagining that those fire elemental-burning defensive halls we talked about/I mentioned before could use it. Allies come through, fine. Enemies? Fire elementals step into the hallway. Intruders are burning.

@Illithid brain-nommage: If you go for Int damage* via brain-eating, I'd give some sort of benefit for the illithid who ate the brain. Maybe extra power points? Or a bonus to stuff equal to Int damage dealt? 1/2 Int damage dealt? Morale bonus? Yummy-tummy bonus? I smell lots of possibilities, which I approve of. Heartily.

*Which is weird. "Oh, it ate like half my brain. But after a week I was fine". Maybe a feat to make it drain? Or it becomes drain after enough damage?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. Not much more to say yet, other than that Darkfire has outrageously fun possibilities. Like, say, getting it burning and then releasing it upwind of Intolar people, causing them to be burned by it. If it works the way I think it does, that is.
    Huh. Never even thought about that, but yeah, that'd be nice. It'd be like releasing a huge amount of very light burning sticks upwind of an army, probably not super effective at hurting people, but it's gonna cause problems.

So, on a large-scale level, how much Darkfire can the kobolds make? If it's a lot, I'm imagining that those fire elemental-burning defensive halls we talked about/I mentioned before could use it. Allies come through, fine. Enemies? Fire elementals step into the hallway. Intruders are burning.
    Probably a decent amount a week. The root itself doesn't grow that fast (that's why they have plant growth) but one root makes a few pounds of darkfire, which is a lot given how long the damn stuff burns. Can't make fire elementals out of darkfire though. Elementals are the essence of fire after all. However, fire elementals in a darkfire-fueled hallway fire would be LULZ.

@Illithid brain-nommage: If you go for Int damage* via brain-eating, I'd give some sort of benefit for the illithid who ate the brain. Maybe extra power points? Or a bonus to stuff equal to Int damage dealt? 1/2 Int damage dealt? Morale bonus? Yummy-tummy bonus? I smell lots of possibilities, which I approve of. Heartily.
    I see lots of feat ideas here. Draw some up plox, since you're all "IDEASKTHX"?

*Which is weird. "Oh, it ate like half my brain. But after a week I was fine". Maybe a feat to make it drain? Or it becomes drain after enough damage?
    Well (and this is me getting waaaaaay too deep into the lore here), given how illithids actually extract brains to start with, it works. They secrete a powerful acid that burns through anything except their own mucus and brain matter, bore into the skull, remove it, and consume the fresh brain matter. Since these illithids are long removed from their progenitors (who did do such things actively), it's feasible that their acids have weakened greatly over time so that all they can do is cause and seep through cracks in the skull and mildly damage the brain, the equivalent of a crazy severe migraine maybe. That'd be Int damage, but it's damage the brain could definitely recover from without permanent damage.

EDIT: There's some more Intolian fluff up. I'm going to try and do some more stuff tonight, finish out Intolar maybe, or perhaps get the basics of a few other nations out there for ya'lls consumption judgment.

EDIT^EDIT: The concept of regions are up in Post #8 (man, that post is amazingly useful, I gotta say), and the first five Regional Feats are posted (the Intolian ones). I'm taking a new tack on regional feats, and I kinda like it.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-10-18 at 06:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

One possibility for the illithids: When they deal damage with their tentacles while grappling, they can cause a target to dazed for 1 round (Will DC 10+1/2 illithid's class levels + int mod or con mod (use the higher value) negates.) When this ability is used, no grapple damage is dealt, as the tentacles are unable to both strike the enemy, and maintain a mental hold on the victim. Fluff could be that the acid, albeit diluted over time, is secreted when presented with this racially familiar scenario. This couples with the illithid's desire to get the prey to stop moving triggers their latent psionic mind blast ability. These, while unable to cause any real effects by themselves, when combined, are able to short-circuit the target's brain somewhat, reducing them to a dazed stupor.

Later, feats could allow the use of the tentacles to deal intelligence damage, and obtain temporary power points when they do, similar to the illithid racial feats. They may also later allow for an actual mind blast power.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-10-18 at 07:04 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    One possibility for the illithids: When they deal damage with their tentacles while grappling, they can cause a target to dazed for 1 round (Will DC 10+1/2 illithid's class levels + int mod or con mod (use the higher value) negates.) When this ability is used, no grapple damage is dealt, as the tentacles are unable to both strike the enemy, and maintain a mental hold on the victim. Fluff could be that the acid, albeit diluted over time, is secreted when presented with this racially familiar scenario. This couples with the illithid's desire to get the prey to stop moving triggers their latent psionic mind blast ability. These, while unable to cause any real effects by themselves, when combined, are able to short-circuit the target's brain somewhat, reducing them to a dazed stupor.
    Hot damn, that's just perfect man. I love it. I mean, that's just great stuff. I'm definitely doing it this way.

Later, feats could allow the use of the tentacles to deal intelligence damage, and obtain temporary power points when they do, similar to the illithid racial feats. They may also later allow for an actual mind blast power.
    Absolutely. I've got plans for racial feats, since I like playing around with racial feats/regional stuff/etc, and this just fits perfectly. Really great idea there, man.

27. - Top - End - #57

Ok, ideas for ogres:
    Additional racial traits:
    Extended magics: Whenever an ogre is targeted by a spell that increases their Str, Dex, Con, or AC by any amount, the duration of the spell doubles. If the spell effects multiple creatures, this increased duration only applies to the ogres. Ogres are mauling brutes on the battlefield; they are normally forced to participate in long battles as shock troopers. As such, if beneficial magic failed, ogres would lose most of their protection and resilience against enemy attacks. Ogres, over long periods of time, have adapted their bodies to absorb and retain magic longer than other creatures. However, as their bodies are keen to absorb and retain magic, they suffer a -2 penalty to all saving throws against spells and spell-like effects as their bodies subconsciously attempt to absorb even harmful effects.
    Commanding presence (Su): Despite, or perhaps because of, ogre's abrasive natures and voices, they can command compliance from other races. Once per day as a standard action, an ogre can attempt to make an intimidate check with a +5 bonus. If they succeed, rather than demoralizing an opponent, they may force the opponent to accept a command, as the spell (no saving throw). In addition, an ogre may take a -5 penalty to his check to target an additional creature with this ability. The second target gets an opposed level check to avoid being affected by this ability as normal.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-10-18 at 10:55 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've got a couple ideas for the ogre as well, though I must say that they aren't nearly as flavorful:
    1. Give it darkvison or scent
    2. Let it use its Str mod for Intimidate checks rather than its Cha mod.

The end result would still end up a bit simple but I prefer to think of it as sleek (much like your surface elf, who gains a single skill focus and proficiency with a weapon, which they also recieve). As I've said, powerful build is already plenty powerful in its own right.

As a note regarding the trepek, you may want to add a maximum gp cost for what they can create as the term "tool" doesn't have any real meaning in DnD (a trepek instructed to slay somebody, for instance, may well consider a dose of black lotus extract to be a "tool" for doing so). Though I doubt people would ever allow things like this in real play... ever... it's still probably smart to eliminate the possibility.

Edit: Hmmm... regional feats are something that I'm rather unfamiliar with, having generally kept to generic settings. What does it mean if you come from Intolar (the city) but don't take the intolian feat? Is that even possible?

Edit Edit: On a more serious note, it would appear that you neglected to include an entire "nation". If I'm reading things properly, we have an entire race of true elves, a sect of human "the Underground", and who knows what else living in the caverns beneath the earth. As the true elves appear to have (or at least had) a central leader in the Dark Prince, shouldn't their land be recognized as a nation in its own right?

Edit Edit Edit: I just noticed something about Khavghotan. If what we've been told it correct so far, it only makes sense that most of the goblinoid races would be living by the shore. Here is how I figure:
    As you've said, food is really hard to come by in Khavghotan but valuable gems and metals aren't. That said, the gems and metals aren't really valuable to any of them. Everyone over there can find such valuables so the goblins can't even really use them as a reliable trading system amongst themselves ("why would I trade you my food for your shiny rocks when I could just dig up my own?"). As such, the only use that any of the goblinoid races have for these valuables is for trade with other races in exchange for food and supplies. The thing is, the goblinoids have already attacked the dwarves in the past and are at constant war with the humans of intolar, meaning that it has no real business trading with any other beings native to the continent. In order to trade with the elves and illithids (...and gain additional food from fresh fish... and to disrupt trade to and from Intolar to gain even more supplies), therefore, most goblinoids would naturally migrate to the coast.
    That said, kobolds would probably avoid the coast like the plague due to xenophobia, goblinoids would probably keep small camps inland where there are rich deposits or active mines, and hobgoblins (who have figured out how to live without the aid of traders) could live fully inland if it did so desire (perhaps maintaining only a couple trading posts to gain other resources), leaving them free to conquer large swaths of the land virtually unopposed (so long as the kobolds, mining camps, and religious sites aren't bothered, nobody else has any real cause to complain or even to care... until they start pushing other races around, at least).
    To summarize my thoughts: Goblin Pirates!
    That, my friends, is what comes from reading far too deeply into a partial description of a nation.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-18 at 11:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Ok, ideas for ogres:
    Additional racial traits:
    Extended magics: Whenever an ogre is targeted by a spell that increases their Str, Dex, Con, or AC by any amount, the duration of the spell doubles. If the spell effects multiple creatures, this increased duration only applies to the ogres. Ogres are mauling brutes on the battlefield; they are normally forced to participate in long battles as shock troopers. As such, if beneficial magic failed, ogres would lose most of their protection and resilience against enemy attacks. Ogres, over long periods of time, have adapted their bodies to absorb and retain magic longer than other creatures. However, as their bodies are keen to absorb and retain magic, they suffer a -2 penalty to all saving throws against spells and spell-like effects as their bodies subconsciously attempt to absorb even harmful effects.
    Really like this. Definitely nicking it.

Commanding presence (Su): Despite, or perhaps because of, ogre's abrasive natures and voices, they can command compliance from other races. Once per day as a standard action, an ogre can attempt to make an intimidate check with a +5 bonus. If they succeed, rather than demoralizing an opponent, they may force the opponent to accept a command, as the spell (no saving throw). In addition, an ogre may take a -5 penalty to his check to target an additional creature with this ability. The second target gets an opposed level check to avoid being affected by this ability as normal.
    I think that this, plus Extended Magics, plus Powerful Build is too much. Commanding Presence isn't quite as fun as Extended Magics IMO, so it gets benched for now. Thank you so much though!

I've got a couple ideas for the ogre as well, though I must say that they aren't nearly as flavorful:
    1. Give it darkvison or scent
    2. Let it use its Str mod for Intimidate checks rather than its Cha mod.
    While nice... DMofDarkness kinda kicked ass on this one.

The end result would still end up a bit simple but I prefer to think of it as sleek (much like your surface elf, who gains a single skill focus and proficiency with a weapon, which they also recieve). As I've said, powerful build is already plenty powerful in its own right.
    Ogres are a race I'm still playing with in designspace, so I doubt this'll be their final iteration.

As a note regarding the trepek, you may want to add a maximum gp cost for what they can create as the term "tool" doesn't have any real meaning in DnD (a trepek instructed to slay somebody, for instance, may well consider a dose of black lotus extract to be a "tool" for doing so). Though I doubt people would ever allow things like this in real play... ever... it's still probably smart to eliminate the possibility.
    ...eh, I'll make a note about not being an ******* then.

Edit: Hmmm... regional feats are something that I'm rather unfamiliar with, having generally kept to generic settings. What does it mean if you come from Intolar (the city) but don't take the intolian feat? Is that even possible?
    Hmm. Well, you are required to take a Regional feat, and you get a free slot to take it with, so I don't know why you wouldn't do such a thing. Region feats mostly indicate where you originate, not where you live as an adult. For instance, if your character was born and raised in the country, but moved to Intolar (the city) at adulthood, you would probably take Freeman, but you could take Intolian instead, if you moved there as a kid.

They're an RP aid that also give you bonuses and whatnot. They're not meant to be a straightjacket. I'll do my best to offer lots of choices in them, so players don't feel like they've been bogged down.

Edit Edit: On a more serious note, it would appear that you neglected to include an entire "nation". If I'm reading things properly, we have an entire race of true elves, a sect of human "the Underground", and who knows what else living in the caverns beneath the earth. As the true elves appear to have (or at least had) a central leader in the Dark Prince, shouldn't their land be recognized as a nation in its own right?
    The true elves and the dwarves are both underground (literally). Their cultures are discussed at the bottom of post #7 (The Mystery of Xortal) under the heading Minor Races.

The Human Underground is not a nation, but is a counter-culture inside the greater culture of Intolar. It will be discussed under "Adventuring in Intolar" and "Power Groups in Intolar".

Edit Edit Edit: I just noticed something about Khavghotan. If what we've been told it correct so far, it only makes sense that most of the goblinoid races would be living by the shore. Here is how I figure:
    As you've said, food is really hard to come by in Khavghotan but valuable gems and metals aren't. That said, the gems and metals aren't really valuable to any of them. Everyone over there can find such valuables so the goblins can't even really use them as a reliable trading system amongst themselves ("why would I trade you my food for your shiny rocks when I could just dig up my own?"). As such, the only use that any of the goblinoid races have for these valuables is for trade with other races in exchange for food and supplies. The thing is, the goblinoids have already attacked the dwarves in the past and are at constant war with the humans of intolar, meaning that it has no real business trading with any other beings native to the continent. In order to trade with the elves and illithids (...and gain additional food from fresh fish... and to disrupt trade to and from Intolar to gain even more supplies), therefore, most goblinoids would naturally migrate to the coast.
    That said, kobolds would probably avoid the coast like the plague due to xenophobia, goblinoids would probably keep small camps inland where there are rich deposits or active mines, and hobgoblins (who have figured out how to live without the aid of traders) could live fully inland if it did so desire (perhaps maintaining only a couple trading posts to gain other resources), leaving them free to conquer large swaths of the land virtually unopposed (so long as the kobolds, mining camps, and religious sites aren't bothered, nobody else has any real cause to complain or even to care... until they start pushing other races around, at least).
    This is partially true. Much of the population does live on/near the coast. However, the varags fulfill a very specific role in Khavghotani culture, namely that of trader and merchant.

Also, while certain foods are tough to come by, the Khavghotani do raise and maintain massive herds of snow rothe (cold-adapted buffalo, basically). The rothe form a large amount of the goblin and ogre food supply.

To summarize my thoughts: Goblin Pirates!
    Indeed. Just wait till we get to Alykandor, the true seafaring people of the world.

That, my friends, is what comes from reading far too deeply into a partial description of a nation.
    Oh no, this is great stuff. It's keeping me on my toes, making sure I can answer such thoughts with either "yes, that's the way of it" or "nope, you need to know X". I really appreciate such thoughts. Keep doing that stuff.

Also, plan for today:
    -Finish out Intolar's fluff.
    -Work more on Khavghotan.

Dammit I need more time. What's with this school bull**** anyways? To the spies watching me post at school... I love CSCC :D

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Population: Uncountable millions (tasloi 99%)...

...slaughter any foreigner discovered desecrating one of them with their presence...

...Despite the difficulties with the natives and the environment, Xortal's untapped natural wealth has Orlyndol, Intolar, and Alykandor scrambling to claim it, and an endless war of contention is being fought over the right to colonize the continent and exploit the natural resources thereof.
    I'm looking at the start of the next big war, aren't I?

an unknown race of sentient plants who somehow carved the jungle itself to shape their cities.
    A third (hidden) genocide? Oh well. The kiloren (or whatever they were) probably had it coming.

Edit: Though I found the tasloi with very little effort, aren't you planning on giving it your own update like the rest of the races?
    Edit edit:Oh, now I can see that you're planning on working on it.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-10-19 at 02:10 PM.