New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

If you remember the journal posts I did a while ago in the thread, is the name of the priest incorrect, in terms of Intolian naming conventions? Should I change it? What is a good name that would fit a priest? Do they use their faith names, or do they even have one?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    If you remember the journal posts I did a while ago in the thread, is the name of the priest incorrect, in terms of Intolian naming conventions? Should I change it? What is a good name that would fit a priest? Do they use their faith names, or do they even have one?
    He was Sistin Faerth, right? That's a bit long, and the family name is flat-out wrong. However, if we call Sistin his faith name (yes they have faith names and it'd be common for clergy to use their faith names in person writings) and we call Faerth a mistranslation by whomever found his journal (perhaps his family name is Far-Eth?), then it seems more than workable.

Or, perhaps he was raised in a neutral monastery and didn't take a traditional last name. Or maybe he chose to sacrifice his face and family names for a second faith name to show dedication to the Nine-Faced Lords. There's options.

What's above is not a hard and fast rule, simply guidelines (I'm beginning to gear up for a possible IRL Z-R game and players will need such guidelines).

Also, welcome back uno. I heard Japan was a good time.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-11 at 12:47 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    He was Sistin Faerth, right? That's a bit long, and the family name is flat-out wrong. However, if we call Sistin his faith name (yes they have faith names and it'd be common for clergy to use their faith names in person writings) and we call Faerth a mistranslation by whomever found his journal (perhaps his family name is Far-Eth?), then it seems more than workable.
    I could change it to Far-Eth. In fact, Far-Eth isn't a bad name at all.

Or, perhaps he was raised in a neutral monastery and didn't take a traditional last name. Or maybe he chose to sacrifice his face and family names for a second faith name to show dedication to the Nine-Faced Lords. There's options.

What's above is not a hard and fast rule, simply guidelines (I'm beginning to gear up for a possible IRL Z-R game and players will need such guidelines).
    Is it accepted to change your other names as such? How would it be viewed (in general, obviously)?

Are there guns in Zaaman-Rul? If so, how prevalent are they? I have been reading the Dark Tower, and I love the idea of playing a Paladin with a revolver. Just saying.

Also, welcome back uno. I heard Japan was a good time.
    Thank you very much. It was in fact a very good time, thankya.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are there guns in Zaaman-Rul? If so, how prevalent are they? I have been reading the Dark Tower, and I love the idea of playing a Paladin with a revolver. Just saying.
    ...Yes, yes there are.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

I could change it to Far-Eth. In fact, Far-Eth isn't a bad name at all.
    Truth be told, I stole the hyphenated name thing from Admiral Zaal'Koris vas Qwib-Qwib (BEST NAME EVER) from Mass Effect 2. I think it works well.

Is it accepted to change your other names as such? How would it be viewed (in general, obviously)?
    Normal people rarely change their family name like that. Discarding the family name strips your relationship to the family, and Intolians tend to value family fairly highly. Still, it's not unheard of. People with unpleasant families, folks who might not want their family name known (adventurers, soldiers, etc), they might lose their family name for another face name.

Clergy get a pass on this one, since they frequently forsake all face and family names in order to grow closer to their god. Intolian superstition says that the faith name is divinely granted (though it's really given to a child at birth in a secret naming ceremony by a priest of Ean) and that by using it, you grow closer to the divine. Priests often go by only their faith name, or perhaps two faith names.

Yes, there are. Intolians use firearms quite frequently. In fact, here, have some rules (they're already up in the mechanics thread, have been since like day 2 of that thread even XD).

Civilian Pistol:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imperial P-4 Sidearm: The P-4 is a light and simple to use sidearm in common usage by both civilians and the military. The P-4 was designed to be cheap to mass produce and easy to operate, so that every citizen of Intolar would always have a weapon on hand if need be.

The Imperial P-4 Sidearm is a light one-handed martial weapon that deals 2d4 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2 and a range increment of 60 ft. The P-4 has a revolving clip of five shots and can be used for iterative attacks without concern. Once the clip is depleted though, it takes a full-round to reload the weapon. The P-4 costs 50 shines for a citizen of Intolar and 100 shines for anyone else. A clip worth of rounds (5 rounds) costs 1 flat.

Civilian Rifle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Imperial Bolt Rifle: The bolt rifle is the standard civilian longarm available from the Imperial Armory. The bolt rifle is more appropriately understood to be a carbine, not a true rifle, but such distinctions mean little to a civilian who needs to shoot something. Bolt rifles can be found all across Intolar, and quite frequently abroad, and are among the few weapons the Imperial Armory produces that can be legally purchased by civilians.

The Bolt Rifle is a two-handed martial ranged weapon that deals 2d8 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x3 and a range increment of 150 ft. Bolt rifles are a move action to reload (thus the "bolt" part of the name, as the chamber must be emptied manually). A bolt rifle's magazine holds up to five shots at a time and takes a full-round action to reload the magazine. Rapid Reload does apply to bolt rifles, but only to the bolt action, not the refilling of the magazine. A bolt rifle costs 150 shines to citizens, but only 50 to enlisted military or ex-military citizens. A single round costs 1 flat (so a full magazine costs 5 flats).

Additionally, many custom modifications of bolt rifles exist and are easy to purchase. The most common of these is the Intolian Army mod kit, which changes the internal magazine for an external clip, speeding up the reload time significantly. Another common modification is to add a rangefinder to the rifle instead of iron sights, to help with distance aiming. The final very common modification of bolt rifles is a more detailed rifling of the barrel, to increase the range on the weapon. There are dozens more modifications possible for bolt rifles, and no two are exactly alike.

The rifle mods are in that thread, btws.

Thank you very much. It was in fact a very good time, thankya.
    Awesome. Are you going back anytime soon?

EDIT: Was I just ninja'd on my own material? I think I was.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-11 at 02:02 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Truth be told, I stole the hyphenated name thing from Admiral Zaal'Koris vas Qwib-Qwib (BEST NAME EVER) from Mass Effect 2. I think it works well.
    It does. It definitely gives them a nice naming convention that doesn't sound strictly or closely European (and is fairly unique), and also ties nicely into the culture.

Normal people rarely change their family name like that. Discarding the family name strips your relationship to the family, and Intolians tend to value family fairly highly. Still, it's not unheard of. People with unpleasant families, folks who might not want their family name known (adventurers, soldiers, etc), they might lose their family name for another face name.

Clergy get a pass on this one, since they frequently forsake all face and family names in order to grow closer to their god. Intolian superstition says that the faith name is divinely granted (though it's really given to a child at birth in a secret naming ceremony by a priest of Ean) and that by using it, you grow closer to the divine. Priests often go by only their faith name, or perhaps two faith names.
    Interesting idea. If a person is, say, banished from a family, do they automatically give up their family name? Are they looked down upon by others for not having a family name?

I like the no family name for Sistin mostly because I sort of imagined him like an orphan, and not having a family name to begin with would certainly cement that.

Yes, there are. Intolians use firearms quite frequently. In fact, here, have some rules (they're already up in the mechanics thread, have been since like day 2 of that thread even XD).

Civilian Pistol:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imperial P-4 Sidearm: The P-4 is a light and simple to use sidearm in common usage by both civilians and the military. The P-4 was designed to be cheap to mass produce and easy to operate, so that every citizen of Intolar would always have a weapon on hand if need be.

The Imperial P-4 Sidearm is a light one-handed martial weapon that deals 2d4 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2 and a range increment of 60 ft. The P-4 has a revolving clip of five shots and can be used for iterative attacks without concern. Once the clip is depleted though, it takes a full-round to reload the weapon. The P-4 costs 50 shines for a citizen of Intolar and 100 shines for anyone else. A clip worth of rounds (5 rounds) costs 1 flat.
    Herp-a-derp-a-herp. Oh man. I failed on epic proportions (epicly apparently isn't a word, >_>).

Anyway, I might make a prestige class that involves Intolian paladins who use guns, if that is okay with you. Do you think Zealot would be a better class to base it on, or does Paladin work well enough?

Civilian Rifle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Imperial Bolt Rifle: The bolt rifle is the standard civilian longarm available from the Imperial Armory. The bolt rifle is more appropriately understood to be a carbine, not a true rifle, but such distinctions mean little to a civilian who needs to shoot something. Bolt rifles can be found all across Intolar, and quite frequently abroad, and are among the few weapons the Imperial Armory produces that can be legally purchased by civilians.

The Bolt Rifle is a two-handed martial ranged weapon that deals 2d8 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x3 and a range increment of 150 ft. Bolt rifles are a move action to reload (thus the "bolt" part of the name, as the chamber must be emptied manually). A bolt rifle's magazine holds up to five shots at a time and takes a full-round action to reload the magazine. Rapid Reload does apply to bolt rifles, but only to the bolt action, not the refilling of the magazine. A bolt rifle costs 150 shines to citizens, but only 50 to enlisted military or ex-military citizens. A single round costs 1 flat (so a full magazine costs 5 flats).

Additionally, many custom modifications of bolt rifles exist and are easy to purchase. The most common of these is the Intolian Army mod kit, which changes the internal magazine for an external clip, speeding up the reload time significantly. Another common modification is to add a rangefinder to the rifle instead of iron sights, to help with distance aiming. The final very common modification of bolt rifles is a more detailed rifling of the barrel, to increase the range on the weapon. There are dozens more modifications possible for bolt rifles, and no two are exactly alike.

The rifle mods are in that thread, btws.
    Oh man, those look amazing.

Awesome. Are you going back anytime soon?

EDIT: Was I just ninja'd on my own material? I think I was.
    Maybe. Probably not in the near future (meaning the next 4-6 years).

Ooouch.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

It does. It definitely gives them a nice naming convention that doesn't sound strictly or closely European (and is fairly unique), and also ties nicely into the culture.
    The others are slightly less interesting (Khavghotan is the standard-ish goblinoid naming scheme; Alykandor is the fluid-sounding elven scheme; Orlyndol and Northwind are the fun ones), but I tried to make them sound fairly distinct, at least.

Interesting idea. If a person is, say, banished from a family, do they automatically give up their family name? Are they looked down upon by others for not having a family name?
    That's a great question. There's no hard and fast rules about "you are banished so we strip you of your name" but likely, yes, a banished family member would probably not use their family name (or maybe they would, to defame their banishers).

As for societal repercussions, it depends on if the reason is clear or not. Intolians don't tend to use family names unless it's formal or a meeting of some importance, like how we do things. I wouldn't necessarily introduce myself to you with my first and last name, but I would to a police officer. Same in Intolar. Family names are like our last names in general use.

I like the no family name for Sistin mostly because I sort of imagined him like an orphan, and not having a family name to begin with would certainly cement that.
    That'd also make it more likely he'd turn to the priesthood. Many orphans (often due to the crusades against Khavghotan) turn to the clergy for guidance, eventually entering them as a way of "paying back" the kindness and aid the priests gave them.

Anyway, I might make a prestige class that involves Intolian paladins who use guns, if that is okay with you. Do you think Zealot would be a better class to base it on, or does Paladin work well enough?
    Zealot is soooooooooooooo far from done (and frankly, may be broken into PrCs instead, just to give each faith more space to shine and to diversify out their abilities into multiple PrCs) that Paladin works fine. Knight is another good entry, as is Cleric.

It's worth noting that the PF Paladin is the one used in Z-R, so keep that in mind when drawing it up. Could be a good place to get Grey Guard-style abilities involved too (is it bad that I have an NPC in my current campaign who is a Paladin/Grey Guard who dual wields a revolver and longsword?).

Oh man, those look amazing.
    I actually really liked the Imperial Bolt Rifle, so much so that I may well use it in just random games as an exotic weapon.

Maybe. Probably not in the near future (meaning the next 4-6 years).

Ooouch.
    Bummer. Hope you get to go sooner than later, sounded like you had a good time.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

The others are slightly less interesting (Khavghotan is the standard-ish goblinoid naming scheme; Alykandor is the fluid-sounding elven scheme; Orlyndol and Northwind are the fun ones), but I tried to make them sound fairly distinct, at least.
    Khavghotan is not especially unique, but Alykandor definitely doesn't sound like how I imagine flowing elf names. They sound almost arabic in nature, and that is really cool. I love the idea of the Orlyndal names, but your formatting for that paragraph is a little messed up (the paragraph has a random enter midway through). Trepek is interesting, but I could see it being kind of hard for players trying to identify their characters. Would a trepek ever change their names into something that sounds more like the other languages, with phonemes and such?

That's a great question. There's no hard and fast rules about "you are banished so we strip you of your name" but likely, yes, a banished family member would probably not use their family name (or maybe they would, to defame their banishers).
    Interesting...

As for societal repercussions, it depends on if the reason is clear or not. Intolians don't tend to use family names unless it's formal or a meeting of some importance, like how we do things. I wouldn't necessarily introduce myself to you with my first and last name, but I would to a police officer. Same in Intolar. Family names are like our last names in general use.
    Okay, that makes sense. It is interesting though, because in cultures that have an especially close tie to families, or a high importance on the family in a person's life, which Intolar appears to have, they tend to use the family name more often than that. I know for Japan or China, for instance, where family ties are really really really strong (especially historically) you use your family name more often than your face name unless the other person is a very close friend or family member. I know for English speaking countries, it sort of tends to in my experience be used less often, and I always assumed this was because of the culture. Is there a reason, do you think, that the Intolians use their face names more often?

That'd also make it more likely he'd turn to the priesthood. Many orphans (often due to the crusades against Khavghotan) turn to the clergy for guidance, eventually entering them as a way of "paying back" the kindness and aid the priests gave them.
    Interesting. I like that aspect.

Zealot is soooooooooooooo far from done (and frankly, may be broken into PrCs instead, just to give each faith more space to shine and to diversify out their abilities into multiple PrCs) that Paladin works fine. Knight is another good entry, as is Cleric.
    I think Paladin would work best, in this case.

It's worth noting that the PF Paladin is the one used in Z-R, so keep that in mind when drawing it up. Could be a good place to get Grey Guard-style abilities involved too (is it bad that I have an NPC in my current campaign who is a Paladin/Grey Guard who dual wields a revolver and longsword?).
    Well, if I were to go true to style, the gunslingers are more like Lawful Neutral than Lawful Good or True Neutral, but I dunno how close to the story I will go.

No, it is awesome.

I actually really liked the Imperial Bolt Rifle, so much so that I may well use it in just random games as an exotic weapon.
    How much is it worth in Gold Pieces, since you only say for the Intolian currency?

Bummer. Hope you get to go sooner than later, sounded like you had a good time.
    Well, I do plan on going back, but the only real program that is around that is really good is JET (Japanese Exchange Teaching), where teachers from one America/Canada come to Japan and teach English there. The problem is that you have to have graduated College in order to enter the program, and getting in is really random. So, if I want to do it, I will probably go in 4 to 6 years, after college, but I also plan on going to China, so I might do that in college, I dunno.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Khavghotan is not especially unique, but Alykandor definitely doesn't sound like how I imagine flowing elf names. They sound almost arabic in nature, and that is really cool. I love the idea of the Orlyndal names, but your formatting for that paragraph is a little messed up (the paragraph has a random enter midway through). Trepek is interesting, but I could see it being kind of hard for players trying to identify their characters. Would a trepek ever change their names into something that sounds more like the other languages, with phonemes and such?
    So I see. I'll fix that random enter.

Good point with the Alykandorian names. I'll edit it appropriately.

Trepek could well take on more "traditional" names, but usually they are only done so for non-trepek companions. Adventuring trepek frequently accept a sobriquet that describes them in some way in addition to their mathematical designation. Usually, it's pretty basic and descriptive, something Khavghotani in nature, such as Swordbreaker for a sundering trepek or Spellhurler for a caster, etc.

Interesting...
    Given that stripping someone of their family name is rare and only done for serious reasons, the banished is probably a criminal of some sort. Doesn't exactly engender good feelings.

Okay, that makes sense. It is interesting though, because in cultures that have an especially close tie to families, or a high importance on the family in a person's life, which Intolar appears to have, they tend to use the family name more often than that. I know for Japan or China, for instance, where family ties are really really really strong (especially historically) you use your family name more often than your face name unless the other person is a very close friend or family member. I know for English speaking countries, it sort of tends to in my experience be used less often, and I always assumed this was because of the culture. Is there a reason, do you think, that the Intolians use their face names more often?
    Face names are intended for public use, that's their entire role. Family names are used for societal connection, so others know your lineage and who you're related to. Intolians do place a strong value on their families (family and faith are both big in Intolar, after all), but they aren't quite to the level of historical China. More like modern Italy, where family is important but not overwhelmingly so.

I think Paladin would work best, in this case.
    Have at it.

Well, if I were to go true to style, the gunslingers are more like Lawful Neutral than Lawful Good or True Neutral, but I dunno how close to the story I will go.

No, it is awesome.
    Again, have at it. Note that I don't force Paladins to be LG. They can be LG, CG, LE, or CE (any of the extreme alignments).

How much is it worth in Gold Pieces, since you only say for the Intolian currency?
    In the post from whence it comes and in the main Intolian post, there is a conversion guide.

Remember, 1 shine is equal to 1 gold, and 1 flat is equal to 1 silver, so a standard issue bolt rifle costs 150 gp to non-military and 50 gp to military, while a full clip costs 5 sp.

Well, I do plan on going back, but the only real program that is around that is really good is JET (Japanese Exchange Teaching), where teachers from one America/Canada come to Japan and teach English there. The problem is that you have to have graduated College in order to enter the program, and getting in is really random. So, if I want to do it, I will probably go in 4 to 6 years, after college, but I also plan on going to China, so I might do that in college, I dunno.
    Bummer. China's a nice place though, good to visit or so I hear.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-11 at 02:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

So I see. I'll fix that random enter.

Good point with the Alykandorian names. I'll edit it appropriately.
    Okey-dokey.

Trepek could well take on more "traditional" names, but usually they are only done so for non-trepek companions. Adventuring trepek frequently accept a sobriquet that describes them in some way in addition to their mathematical designation. Usually, it's pretty basic and descriptive, something Khavghotani in nature, such as Swordbreaker for a sundering trepek or Spellhurler for a caster, etc.
    Interesting. So, Spellhurler 9x9 would be an acceptable name, or something along that line?

Given that stripping someone of their family name is rare and only done for serious reasons, the banished is probably a criminal of some sort. Doesn't exactly engender good feelings.
    True, but it also means that there are options for intrigue in the backgrounds of Intolian characters, and that is always fun.

Face names are intended for public use, that's their entire role. Family names are used for societal connection, so others know your lineage and who you're related to. Intolians do place a strong value on their families (family and faith are both big in Intolar, after all), but they aren't quite to the level of historical China. More like modern Italy, where family is important but not overwhelmingly so.
    Oh, okay, that makes sense.

Have at it.

Again, have at it. Note that I don't force Paladins to be LG. They can be LG, CG, LE, or CE (any of the extreme alignments).
    I suppose. Actually, depending on the description from the books, the Gunslingers in their original capacity would be exactly LG. Yay.

In the post from whence it comes and in the main Intolian post, there is a conversion guide.

Remember, 1 shine is equal to 1 gold, and 1 flat is equal to 1 silver, so a standard issue bolt rifle costs 150 gp to non-military and 50 gp to military, while a full clip costs 5 sp.
    Herp-derp. Well, awesome.

Bummer. China's a nice place though, good to visit or so I hear.
    Yeah.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=unosarta;11618908]Interesting. So, Spellhurler 9x9 would be an acceptable name, or something along that line?[quote]
    Sure would. I feel like that's a fairly unique naming system that's strange and just a little "off" but still understandable.

True, but it also means that there are options for intrigue in the backgrounds of Intolian characters, and that is always fun.
    Absolutely.

I suppose. Actually, depending on the description from the books, the Gunslingers in their original capacity would be exactly LG. Yay.
    I am 100% not familiar with the Dark Tower (couldn't get into it, tried a few times), so go with whatever you think works and we'll fit it in here somewhere.

Herp-derp. Well, awesome.
    It's been awhile since this was active in any way, so don't sweat it.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The illithid naming systems reminds me of the Vorlons from Babylon 5 for some reason. Which is awesome. It's nice to know this isn't dead anymore
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zetapup View Post
    The illithid naming systems reminds me of the Vorlons from Babylon 5 for some reason. Which is awesome. It's nice to know this isn't dead anymore
    Uh... yay? That wasn't intentional? Good to know, I guess.

Also, yeah, this likely isn't moving rapidly now but it's sluggishly moving again.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure would. I feel like that's a fairly unique naming system that's strange and just a little "off" but still understandable.
    Wow, I really like that naming system.

I am 100% not familiar with the Dark Tower (couldn't get into it, tried a few times), so go with whatever you think works and we'll fit it in here somewhere.
    Awesome. Shoooot, I am still writing up an Incarnum ToB PrC, and some background for the World of Light and Darkness thread thingy, but after that, I will make this Paladin PrC happen!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I really like that naming system.
    You get some of that credit. Personally, I was fine with just the mathematical notation, but you were right, it's a little TOO impersonal and hard to work with.

Curiously enough, I played a trepek on these forums awhile back. Prototype Soul Holding Module Design 0.01 (Proto-01 or P-01 for short) was his name. Doesn't conform to the trepek naming conventions here, but then again, that wasn't Z-R. Still, fun character and really showed off what the trepek are capable of in mechanical terms (he was pretty scary in combat).

Awesome. Shoooot, I am still writing up an Incarnum ToB PrC, and some background for the World of Light and Darkness thread thingy, but after that, I will make this Paladin PrC happen!
    Heh, I'm working on a number of NPCs for my campaign finale on Saturday, so nothing's happening until at least next week anyways. I DO have some mechanical tidbits to toss out into the Mechanics thread (some illithid gear I wrote awhile back and never bothered updating, and I might slam out some regional feats).

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

You get some of that credit. Personally, I was fine with just the mathematical notation, but you were right, it's a little TOO impersonal and hard to work with.

Curiously enough, I played a trepek on these forums awhile back. Prototype Soul Holding Module Design 0.01 (Proto-01 or P-01 for short) was his name. Doesn't conform to the trepek naming conventions here, but then again, that wasn't Z-R. Still, fun character and really showed off what the trepek are capable of in mechanical terms (he was pretty scary in combat).
    I like that it is based on position, even if it is a little bit more personal, because that almost makes them feel like robot models, but it still gives words for the players to use, since numbers are hard to empathize with. The numbers felt to me like model numbers, which makes it even more that way, and that is awesome.

Is that a gestalt barbarian//binder/fighter/rogue? Um... wow.

Heh, I'm working on a number of NPCs for my campaign finale on Saturday, so nothing's happening until at least next week anyways. I DO have some mechanical tidbits to toss out into the Mechanics thread (some illithid gear I wrote awhile back and never bothered updating, and I might slam out some regional feats).
    Yeah, just finished up the World of Light and Dark, so now on to the other stuff.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

I like that it is based on position, even if it is a little bit more personal, because that almost makes them feel like robot models, but it still gives words for the players to use, since numbers are hard to empathize with. The numbers felt to me like model numbers, which makes it even more that way, and that is awesome.
    That's why I decided you made a good point and went with it. Personally, I'm cool with playing 4x3 the Wizard, but not everyone's gonna be alright with it, so having Teleporter 4x3 is more useful to PCs (especially since I can shorten that to T-4x3 for ease of communication).

Really, a fantastic suggestion to look at those names again. Thanks uno. Glad you're still interested in this little project.

Is that a gestalt barbarian//binder/fighter/rogue? Um... wow.
    Actually, P-01 is a gestalt Binder//Barb/Fighter/Rogue (and was going to start taking Ranger too XD).

Realistically, I just didn't have anything better to put on the "warrior" gestalt half. Binder 20//Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Ranger 4(?)/Stuff x? Didn't know what else to do, so I started fiddling around for giggles.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why I decided you made a good point and went with it. Personally, I'm cool with playing 4x3 the Wizard, but not everyone's gonna be alright with it, so having Teleporter 4x3 is more useful to PCs (especially since I can shorten that to T-4x3 for ease of communication).

Really, a fantastic suggestion to look at those names again. Thanks uno. Glad you're still interested in this little project.
    Thanks.

Actually, P-01 is a gestalt Binder//Barb/Fighter/Rogue (and was going to start taking Ranger too XD).

Realistically, I just didn't have anything better to put on the "warrior" gestalt half. Binder 20//Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Ranger 4(?)/Stuff x? Didn't know what else to do, so I started fiddling around for giggles.
    Well, it is still pretty awesome. How did you flavor the binder abilities? I can see the vestiges almost being like personality and fighting style things that are programmed into the Trepek/whatever the other name of the race is. That would be pretty freaking cool.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it is still pretty awesome. How did you flavor the binder abilities? I can see the vestiges almost being like personality and fighting style things that are programmed into the Trepek/whatever the other name of the race is. That would be pretty freaking cool.
    Prototype Soul Holding Module Design 0.01 is the result of an unnamed mage's experimentation with binding a vestige into a non-sentient construct body that would let them experience the world on their own terms. The experiment backfired in a major way however, and the mage was killed in an explosion. The vestige binding did function, but the vestige's memory and personality were wiped, leaving an animate sentient shell with no memory of anything at all and only knowing that it has to keep a connection to the vestige realms or die.

P-01 may well show up as an NPC in Z-R, just cause I like him.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Prototype Soul Holding Module Design 0.01 is the result of an unnamed mage's experimentation with binding a vestige into a non-sentient construct body that would let them experience the world on their own terms. The experiment backfired in a major way however, and the mage was killed in an explosion. The vestige binding did function, but the vestige's memory and personality were wiped, leaving an animate sentient shell with no memory of anything at all and only knowing that it has to keep a connection to the vestige realms or die.

P-01 may well show up as an NPC in Z-R, just cause I like him.
    That is actually a really cool backstory.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me that I left out a few note-worthy races in the naming thing. In that spirit, here are the true elves and the dwarves.

True Elves:
    Spoiler
    Show
    True elven names are complex both to write and to speak. The true elves believe that a person's entire life should be encapsulated in their name, and so their names are absurdly lengthy and detailed. In a sense, this is very similar to what the illithids do among themselves, but the true elves add a sense of mysticism and ritual to the giving of a name. In fact, the exchange of names between two individuals is a detailed ritual accounting that can take hours, depending on the age and accomplishments of the individuals in question.

However, that's not very practical for every day use, so the true elves tend to select a single section of their total name to use as their daily identifier. For example, an youth's true name may be Kar'Jay'Moulai'Brravk'Cxeta'Pelios, but since saying that is complicated and lengthy, they may go by a single section, perhaps Cxeta or Brravk.

Sample true elven names are impossible to provide, simply due to the vast variance of sections of the name. Many true elves use foreign words in their true name to denote time spent with other races and even include other individual's names. On rare occasion, a true elf may add the true name of a fallen lover or child to their name, to honor their memory and carry it with them. Each individual's true name tells their life story, and is as unique and personalized as the one who carries it.

Dwarven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dwarven language actually lends itself well to names. Dethek, the dwarven runic set, accepts individual runes with ease, meaning all dwarves have a single rune that represents them, much like a signature. The exact meanings of the dwarven runes are not really translatable, but often include a name to be addressed by and indicate something the individual is known for, such as their temper, a famous accomplishment, a well-known family or hive, or some such identifier.

Sample names: Duloss, Ruutham, Raamog, Wetet, Iiapa, Veetor
    Sample identifiers: Flamemind, Bellyup, Hardhand, Elfscourge, Stoutshield

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait wait wait wait. What are the true elves and the dwarves? I don't remember those races. Please link to any relevant information that I have somehow missed.

Also, just finished the Incarnum/ToB class, so now I am going to go write that Paladin gunslinger class.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Wait wait wait wait. What are the true elves and the dwarves? I don't remember those races. Please link to any relevant information that I have somehow missed.
    DERP? They're the native races of the Lattice. To be fair, I never finished that post (working on it atm, nothing will be posted tonight though).

The short story is that the Alykandorian elves are not the first nor the original elves, but are a branch off from the true elves, who live deep in the earth. The dwarves are a hivemind culture that live in massive semi-intelligent stone hivecities underground as well.

Also, just finished the Incarnum/ToB class, so now I am going to go write that Paladin gunslinger class.
    Have at it. I would like to request that it be enter-able by Knights and/or Clerics as well if that's at all possible without destroying your vision entirely (if it's really an issue, ok, no worries). Perhaps a "needs smite, challenge, or turn undead" prerequisite?
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-12 at 01:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

DERP? They're the native races of the Lattice. To be fair, I never finished that post (working on it atm, nothing will be posted tonight though).

The short story is that the Alykandorian elves are not the first nor the original elves, but are a branch off from the true elves, who live deep in the earth. The dwarves are a hivemind culture that live in massive semi-intelligent stone hivecities underground as well.
    HOLY CRAP WHY DID I NEVER SEE THIS?

What are the main differences... you know what, I should probably read that post before I ask anything stupid.

Have at it. I would like to request that it be enter-able by Knights and/or Clerics as well if that's at all possible without destroying your vision entirely (if it's really an issue, ok, no worries). Perhaps a "needs smite, challenge, or turn undead" prerequisite?
    That isn't really a problem, although I dunno how I will make it viable for both the Clerics and the martial characters (it is sort of in cannon though; many gunslingers have the "touch" which is sort of like the sixth sense, and one of the frickin' saddest characters in the books is a catholic preacher who becomes a gunslinger just before his death).

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

HOLY CRAP WHY DID I NEVER SEE THIS?

What are the main differences... you know what, I should probably read that post before I ask anything stupid.
    Any questions, now that you've read what's there?

That isn't really a problem, although I dunno how I will make it viable for both the Clerics and the martial characters (it is sort of in cannon though; many gunslingers have the "touch" which is sort of like the sixth sense, and one of the frickin' saddest characters in the books is a catholic preacher who becomes a gunslinger just before his death).
    Clerics might as well be martial characters. But that's true, it'd be tough. Oh well, can you at least get Knights in there so that it's not a single-entry class (something I dislike)?

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Any questions, now that you've read what's there?
    Do the true elves and the dwarves ever interact? How do they, if so? What do the dwarves eat? Stone? How many surface dwellers actually know of the lattice and its races? Why isn't it common knowledge?

How does the lattice have air? Do the elves and the dwarves not breathe?

Clerics might as well be martial characters. But that's true, it'd be tough. Oh well, can you at least get Knights in there so that it's not a single-entry class (something I dislike)?
    The first ability they get, at first level, is "Path of Word or Gun" (since they use Wordslinger a whole lot to describe writers, seemed appropriate), and it grants caster progression for characters that can cast spells, or increased martial benefits for those that don't. The rest of the abilities are basically just How To Shoot Better (tm), so there doesn't seem to be any extreme need to make them more cleric based, plus with all of the cleric buffing, it isn't like the cleric needs more action economy help in that sense.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Do the true elves and the dwarves ever interact?
    Not frequently or as a matter of course. Given the differing striations of the Lattice and that dwarves are in the Upper and true elves the Middle, there's not a large amount of overlap. Still, exploration parties from either race sometimes encounter one another and true elven tribes sometimes are forced to the Upper Lattice to avoid a hazard or something and will occasionally trade with a hivecity.

How do they, if so?
    Mostly it's amiable. Neither race dislikes the other, though they're not best friends or anything. More like a casual "we're in the same general boat so we might as well get along" situation.

What do the dwarves eat?
    This was answered earlier actually. Dwarves farm and raise small livestock animals in special caverns.

Stone?
    Haha no.

How many surface dwellers actually know of the lattice and its races?
    Only really thorough explorers and certain sages/learned men.

Why isn't it common knowledge?
    Ok, think of it like this. You are aware we have caves in the earth, right? How much do you know about those caves, or what lives in those caves? Same deal, only Z-R's caves are way cooler than ours.

How does the lattice have air? Do the elves and the dwarves not breathe?
    How do caves have air? Realistically, the Lattice has a variety of plants and substances that produce oxygen and nitrogen as waste material from their biology, much like the surface has. Given the thickness of the Middle Lattice (where said plants are most common) and the fact that the earth is mildly permeable to air particles, I don't see how this is an issue.

The first ability they get, at first level, is "Path of Word or Gun" (since they use Wordslinger a whole lot to describe writers, seemed appropriate), and it grants caster progression for characters that can cast spells, or increased martial benefits for those that don't. The rest of the abilities are basically just How To Shoot Better (tm), so there doesn't seem to be any extreme need to make them more cleric based, plus with all of the cleric buffing, it isn't like the cleric needs more action economy help in that sense.
    Fair enough. I trust your judgment.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2011-08-12 at 05:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Not frequently or as a matter of course. Given the differing striations of the Lattice and that dwarves are in the Upper and true elves the Middle, there's not a large amount of overlap. Still, exploration parties from either race sometimes encounter one another and true elven tribes sometimes are forced to the Upper Lattice to avoid a hazard or something and will occasionally trade with a hivecity.
    Can dwarves only hivemind with other dwarves?

Mostly it's amiable. Neither race dislikes the other, though they're not best friends or anything. More like a casual "we're in the same general boat so we might as well get along" situation.
    Okay. How is cross race love considered?

This was answered earlier actually. Dwarves farm and raise small livestock animals in special caverns.

Haha no.
    They eat only livestock? How do they get other nutrients? No need?

Shucks.

Only really thorough explorers and certain sages/learned men.
    How are those who believe in or know of the dwarves viewed by others? As crazy? Ignored?

Ok, think of it like this. You are aware we have caves in the earth, right? How much do you know about those caves, or what lives in those caves? Same deal, only Z-R's caves are way cooler than ours.
    However, Z-R also has magic, magic which is entirely and full capable of digging far faster than human technology, digging without harm to the cave structures, and surviving at those depths. Given that for a population some percent are going to know something about those creatures, and in that population, given that they are sages or learned men they are likely wizards with access to magic, does it not make sense that they will have explored said caves? Do the lattice-dwellers just kill them?

How do caves have air? Realistically, the Lattice has a variety of plants and substances that produce oxygen and nitrogen as waste material from their biology, much like the surface has. Given the thickness of the Middle Lattice (where said plants are most common) and the fact that the earth is mildly permeable to air particles, I don't see how this is an issue.
    Okay, that makes sense.

Fair enough. I trust your judgment.
    Okey-dokey.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Can dwarves only hivemind with other dwarves?
    Check their racial stats in the other thread. You'll find your answer therein.

Okay. How is cross race love considered?
    Um... yeah. Honestly, that's not among the follow-up answers I expected. I have no idea.

They eat only livestock? How do they get other nutrients? No need?
    No no, they farm plants, AND they raise livestock. My grammar there wasn't ideal, sorry.

How are those who believe in or know of the dwarves viewed by others? As crazy? Ignored?
    Dwarves have some contact with the surface you know. It's not like their isolationists (though some hives are). It's just that the nature of their home isn't well understood.

However, Z-R also has magic, magic which is entirely and full capable of digging far faster than human technology, digging without harm to the cave structures, and surviving at those depths. Given that for a population some percent are going to know something about those creatures, and in that population, given that they are sages or learned men they are likely wizards with access to magic, does it not make sense that they will have explored said caves? Do the lattice-dwellers just kill them?
    Again, we've explored parts of the Earth's cave system, but not all of it, and not even that deep. We've got technology that can take us 2+ miles down, but there's a looooooooooooooooooot of earth to work with. Same with the Lattice, except that at a certain depth, you start encountering dangerous wildlife and plants that no one has ever seen before. Kinda discourages exploration.

Still, there are foolhardy/ballsy explorers who delve into the deep realms from time to time, and from them the surface learns quite a bit. Much is known about the Upper Lattice, though it's pretty boring. The Middle Lattice has both isolationist natives (the true elves don't like company much) and dangerous flora/fauna, making exploration difficult.

By the by, how's the PrC coming along?

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Check their racial stats in the other thread. You'll find your answer therein.
    Herp a derp. Also, spelling error in the description of hivemind; "These bonuses remain until at least one member of the hivemind dies or travels at least one mild away from another member."

I can see a hivemind based dwarf PrC being made. >_>

Um... yeah. Honestly, that's not among the follow-up answers I expected. I have no idea.
    Oh. Um...

*whistles*

No no, they farm plants, AND they raise livestock. My grammar there wasn't ideal, sorry.
    Oh, got it.

Dwarves have some contact with the surface you know. It's not like their isolationists (though some hives are). It's just that the nature of their home isn't well understood.
    Okay. How do other races react to the idea of a hivemind? It is a fairly alien concept, and I could see some reacting with fear, some with acceptance, etc etc. Any ideas on how specific cultures react?

Again, we've explored parts of the Earth's cave system, but not all of it, and not even that deep. We've got technology that can take us 2+ miles down, but there's a looooooooooooooooooot of earth to work with. Same with the Lattice, except that at a certain depth, you start encountering dangerous wildlife and plants that no one has ever seen before. Kinda discourages exploration.
    But people know that there is dangerous wildlife under the ground? Or is that only things that few specific individuals know about? Because I could imagine that being pretty terrifying, and since it reaches into the other side of the planet, it could (potentially) be a way for the Qualnargon to reach the mortals.

Still, there are foolhardy/ballsy explorers who delve into the deep realms from time to time, and from them the surface learns quite a bit. Much is known about the Upper Lattice, though it's pretty boring. The Middle Lattice has both isolationist natives (the true elves don't like company much) and dangerous flora/fauna, making exploration difficult.
    Oh man, that sounds like a fantastic adventure idea. A group of characters are hired by a rich patron to delve into the depths of Z-R and document what they find.

By the by, how's the PrC coming along?
    Not too bad. I haven't really had any time, and I definitely won't be getting the fluff done for a while, since I am really busy this weekend, and I still have to write an essay for the scholarship I got to go to Japan with, and I have to prepare for school next year, where I am going to college during highschool, so it is really busy in general. However, this is really my only project right now, so it shouldn't be too long.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show