New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Zaaman-Rul, the Dying World

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Yeah, that's the issue. Perhaps an alternate form that happens to be incorporeal? That solves a lot of potential power issues, since saying "you are X for duration Y" eliminates the "I turn incorporeal and go kill people with my ghost powerz" syndrome.
    I would recommend taking a look at the ghost-faced killer (CA, I think) for inspiration there.

Juggernaut... One part immovable force. One part unstoppable object. Possibly give them something to chain their attacks; for example, dual-wielding heavy warhammers (possibly a feature of the class to be able to), and then you confirm a critical, as per the lightning mace style (CW), they get an extra attack. Perhaps for each time they attack and hit, they gain a +1 bonus on AC (dissipates after end of encounter, limit imposed by the class), and every time they miss, they gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls (again, dissipates after end of encounter, limit imposed by the class). This kind of makes it a more dynamic class. Possibly give them the ability to switch between damage-mode and tank mode, possibly giving them combat expertise as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the prerequisites. Later, in addition to gaining AC from using the combat reflexes, they gain an equal amount of DR, possibly increasing with level (DR = attack penalty/-, DR = 2x the attack penalty/-, etc.), and letting them sacrifice AC to increase their attack. Very flexible class, and interesting to play, and it can perform as both a tank and an aggro character.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

No, not really. I mean, druids are pretty useful dudes, and nature magic isn't exactly the most obscure stuff around. If one thinks critically, it's only logical that someone in the history of the world would have developed and publicized nature magic, right? I'm just curious if I want that to be clerics of nature gods or if I want druids. It seems like there's an overlap there, and I don't know what, if anything, I want to do about it.
    Ah, I see. Either one would be interesting. You could probably replace the druid class with the master of many forms prestige class with Divine spell casting and animal domains instead of Wildshape.

...there's more to that entry though. This is the entire techmage entry above:
    "Techmage: Alykandorian only, gains specialized gear over the progression of the class, can make armor/weapons/gizmos (little alchemical widgets)/devices (wondrous items that run on steamtech), has limited infusion access. 3/4 BAB, d6 HD, probably 6+Int skills."
    Oh, yes, I didn't mean the "only" part to be connected, it was just lazy copy pasting. Still, the first item was still the "gets special equipment as a class feature," but since you have already confirmed that it isn't, it probably doesn't matter all to much anyway.

I sound offended? Oh dear, that's my debating nature coming to play. See, I come from a background where if someone challenges/questions you, you respond very directly and to the point, so you can hammer out everything ASAP and make your points clear. I'm not angry or anything (since if I was, I'd just tell you straight-up), I'm just clarifying my stance and informing you of my perspective on things.
    Whew. Sorry, you just sounded angry, and I was worried.

Also, no, please, keep it up, this is really helping me focus my thoughts. Think of it like a Socratic dialogue, where we go back and forth and through the dialogue we form a fully-fleshed out idea.
    OK, cool.

Alsoalso, "defensive and aggressive" makes me lol at the paradox.

Yeah, and that's the issue. I want to make a more engaging class out of the Juggernaut, but I'm hitting a stumbling block on how. That's why it (along with the Warlord) is my biggest concern right now. Here, I'll use an analogy to explain the situation.
    Hm. Maybe he uses the knight's ability to make terrain around him difficult, maybe with a larger radius, but only for enemies? That would be interesting.

Now, if we come back to this painter a bit later, we find him staring at a blank canvas, not painting. This time, he's got only a partial image in his head, and is having issues finishing it. That's where I'm at with the Juggernaut and Warlord. I know what I want, I just don't know how to get there.
    Ah, yes, that is completely understandable.

Oh yeah, it's not a bad idea, I just want to explore if there are better ideas out there we haven't thought of yet.
    I still like the idea of metaphysical weapons that the marshall gives to his allies. This sounds like a Soulblade/Marshal crossover PrC. I might go make that.

See, the thing is, even if no one flames the thought, someone somewhere will try and explain why I should use it, and I'm just not interested in having that discussion. ToB is something I came to a conclusion about quite a while back, haven't regretted yet, and am cool with. If you ABSOLUTELY must know, feel free to move this portion of the discussion to PM, where I'm happy to discuss it. Just not publicly and not in this thread.
    I understand that feeling. Actually, yeah, I do want to know why.

Yeah, that's the issue. Perhaps an alternate form that happens to be incorporeal? That solves a lot of potential power issues, since saying "you are X for duration Y" eliminates the "I turn incorporeal and go kill people with my ghost powerz" syndrome.
    That might not be a bad idea. Maybe like a less powerful Incorporeal? Like, able to move through walls and things, but without the 50% chance for attacks to fail. Or something like that.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I would recommend taking a look at the ghost-faced killer (CA, I think) for inspiration there.
    Ghost Step is (stupidly) only invisibility.

Juggernaut... One part immovable force. One part unstoppable object. Possibly give them something to chain their attacks; for example, dual-wielding heavy warhammers (possibly a feature of the class to be able to), and then you confirm a critical, as per the lightning mace style (CW), they get an extra attack. Perhaps for each time they attack and hit, they gain a +1 bonus on AC (dissipates after end of encounter, limit imposed by the class), and every time they miss, they gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls (again, dissipates after end of encounter, limit imposed by the class). This kind of makes it a more dynamic class. Possibly give them the ability to switch between damage-mode and tank mode, possibly giving them combat expertise as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the prerequisites. Later, in addition to gaining AC from using the combat reflexes, they gain an equal amount of DR, possibly increasing with level (DR = attack penalty/-, DR = 2x the attack penalty/-, etc.), and letting them sacrifice AC to increase their attack. Very flexible class, and interesting to play, and it can perform as both a tank and an aggro character.
    Hmm, I kinda like this shell we have going here. Perhaps if we go with the Marvel Comics style of Juggernaut, let's say the class is centered around a mechanic called Momentum and the class has two modes (changeable as a full-round action to start), Defensive and Offensive. In defensive mode, momentum is gained for each round you don't take HP damage and in offensive mode, momentum is gained for each consecutive attack you land from round to round. You also have a base pool of momentum gained by class level. Momentum could be expended in very cinematic fashion, so you could chain attacks together, break through stuff, throw people around, deflect spells with your face, you know, awesome cinematic stuff. This sounds like a great place to begin. I'll start drawing up the basis of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Ah, I see. Either one would be interesting. You could probably replace the druid class with the master of many forms prestige class with Divine spell casting and animal domains instead of Wildshape.
    I dunno. That'd work, yeah. Perhaps the Druid needs an overhaul too. Not a priority at the moment to be honest.

Oh, yes, I didn't mean the "only" part to be connected, it was just lazy copy pasting. Still, the first item was still the "gets special equipment as a class feature," but since you have already confirmed that it isn't, it probably doesn't matter all to much anyway.
    Well, ok, let me be perfectly clear. The Techmage DOES get a special set of weapons and armor at level 1. This set of stuff has unique properties, gains powers as the class advances, and can interact with the "infusions" in special ways. It's a living class feature, not just "hey, here's a greatsword, go have a blast".

Whew. Sorry, you just sounded angry, and I was worried.
    Nah, we coo'.

Hm. Maybe he uses the knight's ability to make terrain around him difficult, maybe with a larger radius, but only for enemies? That would be interesting.
    I also like this. Perhaps working this into the momentum mechanic presented by DMofDarkness above is in order.

I still like the idea of metaphysical weapons that the marshall gives to his allies. This sounds like a Soulblade/Marshal crossover PrC. I might go make that.
    I do too, actually. Perhaps this could be an aura actually. He activates the aura, and his allies either have buffed weaponry or the aura creates weapons for them.

I understand that feeling. Actually, yeah, I do want to know why.
    Feel free to PM away.

That might not be a bad idea. Maybe like a less powerful Incorporeal? Like, able to move through walls and things, but without the 50% chance for attacks to fail. Or something like that.
    Yeah, something like that. I dunno yet. The Shadow is likely going to be one of the easiest classes to do though, so I'm not too worried about them.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #124

Check it again. At 5th level, full incorporeality.
    Hmm, I kinda like this shell we have going here. Perhaps if we go with the Marvel Comics style of Juggernaut, let's say the class is centered around a mechanic called Momentum and the class has two modes (changeable as a full-round action to start), Defensive and Offensive. In defensive mode, momentum is gained for each round you don't take HP damage and in offensive mode, momentum is gained for each consecutive attack you land from round to round. You also have a base pool of momentum gained by class level. Momentum could be expended in very cinematic fashion, so you could chain attacks together, break through stuff, throw people around, deflect spells with your face, you know, awesome cinematic stuff. This sounds like a great place to begin. I'll start drawing up the basis of the class.
    This could work. Glad to be of assistance.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Check it again. At 5th level, full incorporeality.
    Huh. When I read it, I musta missed that. Interesting.

This could work. Glad to be of assistance.
    Glad to have the idea offered up. See, I=bad at idea generation, but I can run with nigh-anything.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, since I am playing a ninja in an Epic campaign, they are also able to turn Ethereal.

This sounds awesome. Maybe an additional type of mode for maneuverability? If you switch modes, would you lose Momentum for it? That is probably a question that would be asked when you start writing up the actual classes, but it is still something to think about.

I dunno. That'd work, yeah. Perhaps the Druid needs an overhaul too. Not a priority at the moment to be honest.
    That is understandable.

Well, ok, let me be perfectly clear. The Techmage DOES get a special set of weapons and armor at level 1. This set of stuff has unique properties, gains powers as the class advances, and can interact with the "infusions" in special ways. It's a living class feature, not just "hey, here's a greatsword, go have a blast".
    I understand. That is why I said that it wasn't that big of a deal.

Nah, we coo'.
    Sweet.

I also like this. Perhaps working this into the momentum mechanic presented by DMofDarkness above is in order.
    Would it be based on the Momentum they have currently, or just an aura depending on mode? Something to think about when actually writing the class.

I do too, actually. Perhaps this could be an aura actually. He activates the aura, and his allies either have buffed weaponry or the aura creates weapons for them.
    Ooo, good idea.

Feel free to PM away.
    OK.

Yeah, something like that. I dunno yet. The Shadow is likely going to be one of the easiest classes to do though, so I'm not too worried about them.
    Ok, well it should be interesting.

Something else to note, not something that you should necessarily pay all to much attention to, since it is just an observation; most of these sound like prestige classes. Just racially based. Zealot would be a paladin PrC, Techmage an Artificer PrC, Shaman a cleric one, Shadow a Rogue/Shadowcaster crossover, and so on. Just something I noticed.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, since I am playing a ninja in an Epic campaign, they are also able to turn Ethereal.
    At what, level 19? Something like that, yeah? I don't want a key ability that late is all.

This sounds awesome. Maybe an additional type of mode for maneuverability? If you switch modes, would you lose Momentum for it? That is probably a question that would be asked when you start writing up the actual classes, but it is still something to think about.

Would it be based on the Momentum they have currently, or just an aura depending on mode? Something to think about when actually writing the class.
    I really really like this momentum thing. I'll keep these thoughts in mind for when it finally happens (though, at this rate, it'll happen tomorrow).

Something else to note, not something that you should necessarily pay all to much attention to, since it is just an observation; most of these sound like prestige classes. Just racially based. Zealot would be a paladin PrC, Techmage an Artificer PrC, Shaman a cleric one, Shadow a Rogue/Shadowcaster crossover, and so on. Just something I noticed.
    Oh, I know. That's actually somewhat on purpose. These are meant to be specific roles with some give, not super broad categories with a little form. Fighter or Cleric have almost no form beyond a "this guy uses weapons, this guy talks to gods", and that's nice as a baseline. A Cleric has God's email address, a Zealot is invited over to God's place for dinner twice a week. A Fighter knows how to move in battle, a Juggernaut knows how to blend into battle like he was born in it. A Rogue can keep to the shadows, a Shadow IS the shadows. A Bard can inspire a few people to do impressive things, but a Warlord can inspire entire armies to do impossible things.

Now, to keep these from overriding the core classes, concessions must be made. A Fighter can access more fighting styles than a Juggernaut can, a Cleric can cast spells a Zealot could never even come close to learning, a Rogue can steal and stab better than a Shadow can. A Bard can sing, inspire, cast spells, and be a thief but a Warlord can lead and that's about it.

The point here (if there was one, I think there was) is that these classes are meant to be a little more specific, but each with some give. Not all Shadows look the same, nor all Zealots or Juggernauts. Juggernauts, Savants, Shamans, Zealots, and Techmages all have in-built flexibility, and Shadows and Warlords are great bases for creative stuff.

8. - Top - End - #128

Perhaps they lose 1/2 of their momentum when they shift. They have a tactical advantage by playing, say, mobility a few rounds before they go full-on offensive, but they can't just shift from full defensive to full offensive with no shift. Perhaps also scale it with level; level 1-5, you retain 1/4 momentum; level 6-10, you retain 1/2 momentum; 11-15, 3/4 momentum; 16+, full momentum conservancy. With each mode comes a certain number of abilities that you can invest momentum into. You may move one point of momentum from any ability into another as a swift action. You may only have 3 abilities active at one time. However, if you have no momentum in one of your abilities, you may swap the ability out with another as a swift action.
    That sound good as a mechanic? They retain versatility from fight to fight, but it's difficult for them (especially at high levels) to shift gears in a battle due to an unforeseen circumstance.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

At what, level 19? Something like that, yeah? I don't want a key ability that late is all.
    I can't remember. Still, it is something to think about.

I really really like this momentum thing. I'll keep these thoughts in mind for when it finally happens (though, at this rate, it'll happen tomorrow).
    Hehe, sweet. Are you allowing homebrew from sources other than you? Because I would love to write some feats for this setting, classes or otherwise.

Oh, I know. That's actually somewhat on purpose. These are meant to be specific roles with some give, not super broad categories with a little form. Fighter or Cleric have almost no form beyond a "this guy uses weapons, this guy talks to gods", and that's nice as a baseline. A Cleric has God's email address, a Zealot is invited over to God's place for dinner twice a week. A Fighter knows how to move in battle, a Juggernaut knows how to blend into battle like he was born in it. A Rogue can keep to the shadows, a Shadow IS the shadows. A Bard can inspire a few people to do impressive things, but a Warlord can inspire entire armies to do impossible things.
    Sounds cool.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps they lose 1/2 of their momentum when they shift. They have a tactical advantage by playing, say, mobility a few rounds before they go full-on offensive, but they can't just shift from full defensive to full offensive with no shift. Perhaps also scale it with level; level 1-5, you retain 1/4 momentum; level 6-10, you retain 1/2 momentum; 11-15, 3/4 momentum; 16+, full momentum conservancy. With each mode comes a certain number of abilities that you can invest momentum into. You may move one point of momentum from any ability into another as a swift action. You may only have 3 abilities active at one time. However, if you have no momentum in one of your abilities, you may swap the ability out with another as a swift action.
    That sound good as a mechanic? They retain versatility from fight to fight, but it's difficult for them (especially at high levels) to shift gears in a battle due to an unforeseen circumstance.
    This sounds workable. I have thoughts on this front, actually.

Hehe, sweet. Are you allowing homebrew from sources other than you? Because I would love to write some feats for this setting, classes or otherwise.
    Yeah, I am. Mulletmanalive already gave me a bunch concerning the trepek, Realms/peacenlove have the shadow magic stuff they're kind enough to let me borrow, and I have another guy helping out with the base classes.

Sounds cool.
    Hope so. They're a semi-decent part of the crunch of the setting.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds workable. I have thoughts on this front, actually.
    So, since I am really interested in this Momentum mechanic, are the modes of gaining momentum different for each mode you are in? Like, you gain a "point" of momentum for each successful hit you make with Offensive, or for every attack you take for Defensive? If so, then how would that work if there were a maneuverability mode? Like, a point of momentum for every attack you dodge?

Yeah, I am. Mulletmanalive already gave me a bunch concerning the trepek, Realms/peacenlove have the shadow magic stuff they're kind enough to let me borrow, and I have another guy helping out with the base classes.
    Cool. I might write some stuff, if I have time.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

So, since I am really interested in this Momentum mechanic, are the modes of gaining momentum different for each mode you are in? Like, you gain a "point" of momentum for each successful hit you make with Offensive, or for every attack you take for Defensive? If so, then how would that work if there were a maneuverability mode? Like, a point of momentum for every attack you dodge?
    Honestly, I don't think I'm going to include a third mode. Mobility isn't a great mode IMO. I'm not a fan. However, the shifting mechanic for momentum is something I'm quite interested in.

My current thought is that momentum is generated by one of three methods: in offensive mode it is gained by hitting with attacks in consecutive rounds, in defensive mode it is gained by avoiding taking HP damage for consecutive rounds, and finally in default mode by just remaining in combat for a long while (this is a delayed progression). Momentum is used much like the Factotum's Inspiration is.

Cool. I might write some stuff, if I have time.
    Have fun.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to include a third mode. Mobility isn't a great mode IMO. I'm not a fan. However, the shifting mechanic for momentum is something I'm quite interested in.
    OK, that is understandable. It would have been hard to make a momentum gaining mechanic for it anyway.

My current thought is that momentum is generated by one of three methods: in offensive mode it is gained by hitting with attacks in consecutive rounds, in defensive mode it is gained by avoiding taking HP damage for consecutive rounds, and finally in default mode by just remaining in combat for a long while (this is a delayed progression). Momentum is used much like the Factotum's Inspiration is.
    ... this sounds disturbingly a lot like my Barbarian. Linking for a reference, of course.

Gains "momentum" from taking damage? Check.
    Gains "momentum" from making successful attacks? Check.

The only thing it doesn't have is the ability to gain momentum, in this case rage, over time. Still, it is an interesting parallel. I approve.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for an entire day out of touch. I'm still alive, just busy. I'm posting the Imperial Armory up right now (a lot of it anyways).

I'll also try and get more of the Khavghotani fluff out there today, though since I've got a massive paper due on Tuesday, I dunno if that'll happen. I'll try though.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for an entire day out of touch. I'm still alive, just busy. I'm posting the Imperial Armory up right now (a lot of it anyways).

I'll also try and get more of the Khavghotani fluff out there today, though since I've got a massive paper due on Tuesday, I dunno if that'll happen. I'll try though.
    Thank goodness you did post, I was writing up feats. Now I can post them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mask of the Nine-Faced Lords [Racial]
    Prerequisites: Human; must worship a god of the Nine-Faced Lords
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may choose an alignment other than your own. You are affected by spells and abilities as if you were of that alignment for the rest of the encounter.

Wisdom of the Earthmother
    Prerequisites: Human, Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 4 ranks; Must worship Scyulla
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may gain a bonus to Survival and Knowledge (Nature) checks equal to one fourth, rounded up, your total Hit Dice, for 3 rounds.

Retribution of the Justice-Maker
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Donblas
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may add your Charisma or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher, as a sacred bonus to all attack rolls made against creatures with the Chaotic alignment for the next round.

Cruelty of the Octopus
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Pyaray
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may add your Intelligence or Charisma modifier, whichever is higher, as a sacred bonus to all damage rolls made against flanked or flatfooted targets in the next round.

Fury of the Devourer
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Xiombarg
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may enter a rage for a number of rounds equal to one half of your constitution modifier, rounded down (minimum 1). During the rage, you gain a +4 bonus to Strength, and a +2 bonus to will saves.

Purity of the White
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Slortar
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may fill a target with positive energy with a touch. They heal a number of hit points equal to your Charisma or Wisdom modifier, which ever is higher. Undead take damage from this positive energy, as normal.

Courage of the Scarlet Prince
    Prerequisites: Human, a power point reserve; Must worship Jhaelen
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may refill your power points. You gain a number of power points equal to one-fourth of your hit dice, rounded down, minimum 1. These power points do not fade away unless used by a power or similar effect.

Void of the Shadow
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Arioch
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may nullify a single spell or spell like ability. You must make a single attack against a flatfooted opponent who is able to cast spells. If that attack is successful, a random spell is chose from their spells. You may choose the spell level that is nullified, with a maximum spell level equal to one third of your hit dice, rounded up. If the spell is nullified, the caster cannot cast that spell until he or she is given the chance to prepare their spells again, and if it is a spell like ability, they loose one use of it. If the spell like ability is at will, the cannot use it for 2 rounds.

Blade of the Master
    Prerequisites: Human, able to cast arcane spells; Must worship Hawkmoon
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may sacrifice a spell slot. If you do so, you gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls for the next three rounds equal to twice the level of the spell slot sacrificed.

Mysteries of the Walker
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Elwher
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may gain a +20 foot bonus to all movement speeds for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma or Intelligence modifier, whichever is higher.

Bite of the Ancient Winters
    The frost of the winters of yore freezes your veins shut, grinds your limbs to a halt, and closes your eyes.
    Prerequisites: Must have a Khavghotani or Northwind regional feat, BAB +2, SA +2d6
    Benefits: You gain cold resistance 5. Additionally, any precision damage you deal to a target is cold damage instead of its normal damage type.

Enlarge Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Prerequisites: Illithid
    Benefits: When you make a grapple check in order to daze an opponent, you count as one size category larger than you are. The recharge time of the grapple increases by 1 round.

Mind Flaying Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Prerequisites: Illithid, Base Attack Bonus +3
    Benefits: When you make a grapple check in order to daze an opponent, you may deal 1d4 intelligence damage instead of dazing that opponent. This damage increases to 2d4 when you have 10 Hit Dice, and 3d4 when you have 20. The recharge time of the grapple is increased by 2 rounds.

Extend Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: You may treat your tentacles as if they had the reach of a creature that is one size category larger than you, allowing you to grapple from farther away. The recharge time of the grapple is increased by 1 round.

Maximize Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Prerequisites: Illithid, Mind Flaying Tentacles
    Benefits: You may maximize the Intelligence damage an opponent takes from their dazing grapple. This also maximizes the roll made to determine the recharge time. The recharge time of the grapple increases by 1 round.

Tentacles of Gripping Insanity [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: You may, instead of dealing Intelligence damage on a the grapple, deal wisdom damage. The recharge time of the grapple does not increase or decrease.

Weakened Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: When attempting a grapple, you may choose to take a penalty to the grapple attempt. This can be any number that does not exceed twice the total number of meta-tentacle feats that you have. The recharge time of the grapple is reduced by one round per -2 penalty taken in this way. It cannot be reduced below 1 round.

Let me know if any of the mechanics from the Human feats don't fit in with the fluff.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-10-24 at 03:30 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Thank goodness you did post, I was writing up feats. Now I can post them.
    Post 'em anyways. Double posts are usually forgiven if they're not all the time and not for stupid reasons. Never really seen anyone get blasted for them.

Mask of the Nine-Faced Lords [Racial]
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Ean, or a god of the Nine-Faced Lords
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may choose an alignment other than your own. You are affected by spells and abilities as if you were of that alignment for the rest of the encounter.
    Not sure how useful this would be, but it looks fine. No need to mention Ean though, just say "must worship one of the Nine-Faced Lords".

Wisdom of the Earthmother
    Prerequisites: Human, Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 4 ranks; Must worship Scyulla
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may gain a bonus to Survival and Knowledge (Nature) checks equal to one fourth, rounded up, your total Hit Dice, for 3 rounds.
    This isn't *bad*, just useless. Why would someone need to gain a bonus during combat to Survival?

Retribution of the Justice-Maker
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Donblas
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may add your Charisma or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher, as a sacred bonus to all attack rolls made against creatures with the Chaotic alignment for the next round.
    This one is good. I like it.

Slayer of the Octopus
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Pyaray
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may add your Intelligence or Charisma modifier, whichever is higher, as a sacred bonus to all damage rolls made against flanked or flatfooted targets in the next round.
    Also good. I like this too. Name should change though, right now it sounds like you're killing the octopus, not killing for him. Hmm. I'll think on a better name.

Fury of the Devourer
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Xiombarg
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may enter a rage for a number of rounds equal to one half of your constitution modifier, rounded down (minimum 1). During the rage, you gain a +4 bonus to Strength, and a +2 bonus to will saves.
    Yup fine.

Purity of the White
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Slortar
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may fill a target with positive energy with a touch. They heal a number of hit points equal to your Charisma or Wisdom modifier, which ever is higher. Undead take damage from this positive energy, as normal.
    Fine.

Courage of the Scarlet Prince
    Prerequisites: Human, a power point reserve; Must worship Jhaelen
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may refill your power points. You gain a number of power points equal to one-fourth of your hit dice, rounded down, minimum 1. These power points do not fade away unless used by a power or similar effect.
    Hmmmmmmm. I am unsure yet if I'm using psionics, but should I do so, this is a fine feat. Possible OP, but I really doubt it.

Knowledge of the Shadow
    Prerequisites: Human, any Knowledge skill 4 ranks; Must worship Arioch
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may treat all Knowledge skills as class skills, and you may choose a single Knowledge skill. You gain a bonus to any skill check using that skill equal to one fourth of your hit dice, rounded down, minimum 1. This effect lasts 3 rounds.
    Again, why would I need this during combat unless I take Knowledge Devotion (great feat)? This just doesn't stand on its own.

Blade of the Master
    Prerequisites: Human, able to cast arcane spells; Must worship Hawkmoon
    Benefits: Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may sacrifice a spell slot. If you do so, you gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls for the next three rounds equal to twice the level of the spell slot sacrificed.
    So a better but more limited Arcane Strike? Looks good.

Mysteries of the Walker
    Prerequisites: Human; Must worship Elwher
    Benefits: Once per encounter as a swift action, you may gain a +20 foot bonus to all movement speeds for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma or Intelligence modifier, whichever is higher.
    Well, there's a feat that Jack B. Quick would probably have liked to have. It's fine though.

Bite of the Ancient Winters
    The frost of the winters of yore freezes your veins shut, grinds your limbs to a halt, and closes your eyes.
    Prerequisites: Khavghotani or Raised in a cold clime, Base Attack Bonus +2, Sneak Attack +2d6
    Benefits: You gain Cold resistance 5. Any precision damage that you deal to a target is cold damage instead. You may choose to switch between the two as a standard action.
    The prereqs could be reworded as follows: "Must have a Khavghotani or Northwind regional feat, BAB +2, SA +2d6".

The benefits should probably be changed to "You gain cold resistance 5. Additionally, any precision damage you deal to a target is cold damage instead of its normal damage type." I don't like the switching thing, so I'd probably remove it.

On the Meta-Tentacle feats: I think the recharge wording needs to be reworked. Perhaps "the duration before you can daze an opponent again increases by X rounds"? It's a bit clunkier, but it's much clearer, IMO. Thoughts?

Enlarge Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: When you make a grapple check in order to daze an opponent, you count as one size category larger than you are. The recharge time of the grapple increases by 1 round.
    I like it.

Mind Flaying Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: When you make a grapple check in order to daze an opponent, you may deal 1d4 intelligence damage instead of dazing that opponent. This damage increases to 2d4 when you have 10 Hit Dice, and 3d4 when you have 20. The recharge time of the grapple is increased by 2 rounds.
    Hmm, an HD scaling feat. Interesting, and uncommon.

Extend Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: You may treat your tentacles as if they had the reach of a creature that is one size category larger than you, allowing you to grapple from farther away. The recharge time of the grapple is increased by 1 round.
    Hmm... I'm not sure this is a meta-tentacle feat. This feels more like a class feature or a feat chain that increases your tentacle range naturally.

Maximize Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: You may maximize any variable component of your grapple. This also maximizes the roll made to determine the recharge time. The recharge time of the grapple increases by 1 round.
    This is broken. Consider: you don't NEED to daze in a grapple, and this maximizes the damage dealt and all your rolls made in a grapple (so, your grapple checks are auto-maximized, etc). This needs to change, drastically.

Tentacles of Gripping Insanity [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: You may, instead of dealing Intelligence damage on a the grapple, deal wisdom damage. The recharge time of the grapple does not increase or decrease.
    Ok, seems fine.

Weakened Tentacles [Meta-Tentacle]
    Benefits: When attempting a grapple, you may choose to take a penalty to the grapple attempt. This can be any number that does not exceed the total number of meta-tentacle feats that you have. The recharge time of the grapple is reduced per -1 penalty taken in this way. It cannot be reduced below 1 round. [/spoiler]
    Hmm... I dunno. I am instinctively shy about anything/everything that reduces timers, but I don't know if this is all that bad. It's got a lot of restrictions after all. I dunno, this one could go either way.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Post 'em anyways. Double posts are usually forgiven if they're not all the time and not for stupid reasons. Never really seen anyone get blasted for them.
    Huh. I always shy away from double posts because the forum rules are pretty adamant that they are not useful. I mean, I have done it when necessary in the past, but I usually just wait for someone else to post first.

Not sure how useful this would be, but it looks fine. No need to mention Ean though, just say "must worship one of the Nine-Faced Lords".
    OK.

This isn't *bad*, just useless. Why would someone need to gain a bonus during combat to Survival?
    I couldn't really think of another way to do it. Also, I think your interpretation depends mostly on the definition of Encounter. A lot of times, people define it as combat, but the more successful, and honestly better, way that I usually think of defining it, is at any time the character actively interacts with the game world. Like, oh, you found tracks, and could use the Track feat? Encounter. A goblin rushes at you screaming? Encounter. You travel to a nearby city? Not an encounter. If that is not your definition of encounter, what other kind of power could be used?

Also good. I like this too. Name should change though, right now it sounds like you're killing the octopus, not killing for him. Hmm. I'll think on a better name.
    Yeah, the names are mostly [Adjective] of the [God's Title]. There wasn't really an adjective that didn't overlap with the other gods.

Hmmmmmmm. I am unsure yet if I'm using psionics, but should I do so, this is a fine feat. Possible OP, but I really doubt it.
    His description pits him as the god of nobility and psionics.

Again, why would I need this during combat unless I take Knowledge Devotion (great feat)? This just doesn't stand on its own.
    Any ideas on alternatives?

The prereqs could be reworded as follows: "Must have a Khavghotani or Northwind regional feat, BAB +2, SA +2d6".

The benefits should probably be changed to "You gain cold resistance 5. Additionally, any precision damage you deal to a target is cold damage instead of its normal damage type." I don't like the switching thing, so I'd probably remove it.
    OK, sounds good.

On the Meta-Tentacle feats: I think the recharge wording needs to be reworked. Perhaps "the duration before you can daze an opponent again increases by X rounds"? It's a bit clunkier, but it's much clearer, IMO. Thoughts?
    Actually, the easiest change would be to give the grapple thingy a defined name. I didn't have anything to refer it by, which made it much harder to write feats for. Even something like "Devour the Mind" would be much better than just no name at all.

Hmm... I'm not sure this is a meta-tentacle feat. This feels more like a class feature or a feat chain that increases your tentacle range naturally.
    OK, I guess. That sounds like a fun PrC.

This is broken. Consider: you don't NEED to daze in a grapple, and this maximizes the damage dealt and all your rolls made in a grapple (so, your grapple checks are auto-maximized, etc). This needs to change, drastically.
    Note, this is because there was no name for the ability. I basically wanted to just maximize the intelligence damage as well as the recharge time, which I suppose would have been simpler than every roll, but the grapple thing is mostly because there is no other name by which to refer it.

Hmm... I dunno. I am instinctively shy about anything/everything that reduces timers, but I don't know if this is all that bad. It's got a lot of restrictions after all. I dunno, this one could go either way.
    I am thinking of making the penalty to grapple checks twice the rounds reduced. As of now, it seems a little powerful. Thoughts?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

While on the topic of Meta-Tentacle feats, I'm thinking that the feats I came up with earlier could be Meta-Tentacle ones, with Mind Flying Tentacles as a prerequisite.

In Feats of Intolar, the Prisoner feat gives a bonus to Stealth checks, right? You have Stealthy written there, I'm not sure if that was purposeful. It if was, I'd consider changing it. It doesn't flow well.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-10-24 at 01:18 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I couldn't really think of another way to do it. Also, I think your interpretation depends mostly on the definition of Encounter. A lot of times, people define it as combat, but the more successful, and honestly better, way that I usually think of defining it, is at any time the character actively interacts with the game world. Like, oh, you found tracks, and could use the Track feat? Encounter. A goblin rushes at you screaming? Encounter. You travel to a nearby city? Not an encounter. If that is not your definition of encounter, what other kind of power could be used?
    Encounter in 3.5 is fairly solid as a combat scenario (see: Factotum), and that's how I understand it as well. See, the reason I delineate it as such is because defining it looser than that leads to "well, is this an encounter?", a set of questions I don't want to encourage people to ask.

Yeah, the names are mostly [Adjective] of the [God's Title]. There wasn't really an adjective that didn't overlap with the other gods.
    Yeah, I figured that out. Just having issues figuring out a better title for Pyaray's feat. His other title is a bit... lengthy. I do like "the Eight-Armed Death", but it doesn't fit well with the feat themes. Hmm.

His description pits him as the god of nobility and psionics.
    Older version of the setting, when psionics were definitely in. I still dunno if I'm including them or not in the final, nor what place they'll fill in Intolar if they do exist. They'll probably be a variety of arcane magic though.

Any ideas on alternatives?
    For Arioch's feat? Perhaps something concerning theft, a watered down version of the Spellthief ability to steal spells?

Actually, the easiest change would be to give the grapple thingy a defined name. I didn't have anything to refer it by, which made it much harder to write feats for. Even something like "Devour the Mind" would be much better than just no name at all.
    Good thought. I'll name it.

Note, this is because there was no name for the ability. I basically wanted to just maximize the intelligence damage as well as the recharge time, which I suppose would have been simpler than every roll, but the grapple thing is mostly because there is no other name by which to refer it.
    Well, saying that you maximize the Int damage dealt by your grapple when you use Mind-Flaying Tentacles would be easier than saying you maximize all rolls made.

I am thinking of making the penalty to grapple checks twice the rounds reduced. As of now, it seems a little powerful. Thoughts?
    Dunno. Maybe. This is one I'd like someone else's thoughts on (ideally, Mils).

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    While on the topic of Meta-Tentacle feats, I'm thinking that the feats I came up with earlier could be Meta-Tentacle ones, with Mind Flying Tentacles as a prerequisite.
    Re-link to post? I lost it.

In Feats of Intolar, the Prisoner feat gives a bonus to Stealth checks, right? You have Stealthy written there, I'm not sure if that was purposeful. It if was, I'd consider changing it. It doesn't flow well.
    Riiiiight, I always call that skill Stealthy, but Stealth is what I meant.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Encounter in 3.5 is fairly solid as a combat scenario (see: Factotum), and that's how I understand it as well. See, the reason I delineate it as such is because defining it looser than that leads to "well, is this an encounter?", a set of questions I don't want to encourage people to ask.
    I guess. Well, I did change Arioch's feat according to your suggestion, although not allowing the user to cast the spell, and limited up to seventh level spells at level 19.

Yeah, I figured that out. Just having issues figuring out a better title for Pyaray's feat. His other title is a bit... lengthy. I do like "the Eight-Armed Death", but it doesn't fit well with the feat themes. Hmm.
    How does Cruelty of the Octopus sound?

Older version of the setting, when psionics were definitely in. I still dunno if I'm including them or not in the final, nor what place they'll fill in Intolar if they do exist. They'll probably be a variety of arcane magic though.
    Ah. I could see that. Discipline and studiousness do seem to be dissimilar, so they could be a different system, but still arcane.

For Arioch's feat? Perhaps something concerning theft, a watered down version of the Spellthief ability to steal spells?
    See above.

Well, saying that you maximize the Int damage dealt by your grapple when you use Mind-Flaying Tentacles would be easier than saying you maximize all rolls made.
    Changed for clarity.

Dunno. Maybe. This is one I'd like someone else's thoughts on (ideally, Mils).
    As of right now, the Illithid could take a -1 penalty at first level to the grapple check, and have it refresh in 1, 1, 2 or 3 rounds, depending on the roll. If flaws are allowed, that would be 1, 1, 1, or 2 rounds, depending on the rolls, with a -2 penalty. If that were doubled? Even if it didn't require double the feats, the penalty would have to be at least -2 in order to just get the first array. And, since you need more Meta-Tentacle feats in order to get a higher penalty, you would be effectively shafting yourself in order to get an at will, on grapple, save or be dazed. That is not a very good trade off, especially with the penalty to grapple. This is meant more as a way to help remove some of the costs from applying Meta-Tentacle feats. Even if you did use Enlarge Tentacles along with Weaken Tentacles, you would be able to get, at most, a free 1 round deduction, with a higher penalty. With the feat at the way it is right now, that would be a free 3 round reduction, making it at will. Maybe I could bump up the round increase from Enlarge Tentacles?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I guess. Well, I did change Arioch's feat according to your suggestion, although not allowing the user to cast the spell, and limited up to seventh level spells at level 19.
    I like it plenty well.

How does Cruelty of the Octopus sound?
    That's a good one. I like it.

Ah. I could see that. Discipline and studiousness do seem to be dissimilar, so they could be a different system, but still arcane.
    That's the idea. Mentalistic magic and standard arcane magic aren't that different really, easy to see them as a subset of the same power source really.

As of right now, the Illithid could take a -1 penalty at first level to the grapple check, and have it refresh in 1, 1, 2 or 3 rounds, depending on the roll. If flaws are allowed, that would be 1, 1, 1, or 2 rounds, depending on the rolls, with a -2 penalty. If that were doubled? Even if it didn't require double the feats, the penalty would have to be at least -2 in order to just get the first array. And, since you need more Meta-Tentacle feats in order to get a higher penalty, you would be effectively shafting yourself in order to get an at will, on grapple, save or be dazed. That is not a very good trade off, especially with the penalty to grapple. This is meant more as a way to help remove some of the costs from applying Meta-Tentacle feats. Even if you did use Enlarge Tentacles along with Weaken Tentacles, you would be able to get, at most, a free 1 round deduction, with a higher penalty. With the feat at the way it is right now, that would be a free 3 round reduction, making it at will. Maybe I could bump up the round increase from Enlarge Tentacles?
    Yeah, ok, double that penalty and let's roll with it.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it plenty well.

That's a good one. I like it.
    Cool.

That's the idea. Mentalistic magic and standard arcane magic aren't that different really, easy to see them as a subset of the same power source really.
    Yeah. Are you going to be doing any major reflavoring of psionics, other than that? Also, how exactly do the outer planes work?

Yeah, ok, double that penalty and let's roll with it.
    OK.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Are you going to be doing any major reflavoring of psionics, other than that? Also, how exactly do the outer planes work?
    Reflavoring: probably? I don't know yet, but I do know the flavor won't be exactly the same, that's for sure. Shadow magic, pact magic, and arcane magic are all going to be unique and/or much more defined than they are currently. Psionics is likely going to be no different.

The Planes: this was answered early in the thread. The planes exist, but cannot be reached or contacted in any way, save for the Plane of Shadow through the core of the planet (if you physically go there, a suicidal notion at best) and the Spirit Wind, which is what serves as the method by which souls are sent to the afterlife.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Reflavoring: probably? I don't know yet, but I do know the flavor won't be exactly the same, that's for sure. Shadow magic, pact magic, and arcane magic are all going to be unique and/or much more defined than they are currently. Psionics is likely going to be no different.
    OK.

The Planes: this was answered early in the thread. The planes exist, but cannot be reached or contacted in any way, save for the Plane of Shadow through the core of the planet (if you physically go there, a suicidal notion at best) and the Spirit Wind, which is what serves as the method by which souls are sent to the afterlife.
    Hm. Interesting.

Also, I completely forgot about asking about creature type. In a campaign I am currently in, we have been spending a lot of time just building the campaign setting, and one of the big things that needed to be hammered out was how each creature type was dealt with.

Aberration: An aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three.

Animal: An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.

Construct: A construct is an animated object or artificially constructed creature.

Dragon: A dragon is a reptilelike creature, usually winged, with magical or unusual abilities.

Elemental: An elemental is a being composed of one of the four classical elements: air, earth, fire, or water.

Fey: A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped.

Giant: A giant is a humanoid-shaped creature of great strength, usually of at least Large size.

Humanoid: A humanoid usually has two arms, two legs, and one head, or a humanlike torso, arms, and a head. Humanoids have few or no supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but most can speak and usually have well-developed societies. They usually are Small or Medium. Every humanoid creature also has a subtype.

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class. Humanoids of this sort are presented as 1st-level warriors, which means that they have average combat ability and poor saving throws.

Humanoids with more than 1 Hit Die are the only humanoids who make use of the features of the humanoid type.

Magical Beast: Magical beasts are similar to animals but can have Intelligence scores higher than 2. Magical beasts usually have supernatural or extraordinary abilities, but sometimes are merely bizarre in appearance or habits.

Monstrous Humanoid: Monstrous humanoids are similar to humanoids, but with monstrous or animalistic features. They often have magical abilities as well.

Ooze: An ooze is an amorphous or mutable creature, usually mindless.

Outsider: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Plant: This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Undead: Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.

Vermin: This type includes insects, arachnids, other arthropods, worms, and similar invertebrates.

This list defines the types according to the SRD. So, how are you going to handle each? This isn't something immediately necessary, just something to think about.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Jesus life is destroying me. Still, I refuse to let this die! I WILL UPDATE DAMMIT!

This list defines the types according to the SRD. So, how are you going to handle each? This isn't something immediately necessary, just something to think about.
    Here you are, then, and a few tidbits of other info mixed in.

Creature Types:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aberration: A creature that exists outside the natural order of things. Beings that originated on other planes or other realities, but for some reason have acclimated to this plane over millennia of living and breeding here fit into aberration, as do most magically or scientifically created true-breeding organic species.
    Animal: Natural beasts, such as bears, dogs, birds, fish, etc. Animals are non-magical, conform to the laws of nature and reality, and are frankly boring.
    Construct: Constructs are those creatures that are crafted by someone else out of non-living material. Constructs are not capable of breeding in any way, though several may be intelligent enough to construct others of their kind or different kinds. Constructs are not always unintelligent, but the vast majority of their kind are.
    Dragon: Dragons are a unique group, a true-breeding race that exists only in the aeries in Tharkrixghantix. Dragons are massive cold-blooded winged reptiles with impressive inherent magical powers and attack forms. Dragons are regarded by most as mythical in nature. There are no derivatives of their form, nor any other being with type "Dragon", not even on the Outer Planes.
    Elemental: Creatures made from the essence of one of the Inner Planes (the Elemental Planes, the Para-Elemental Planes, the Quasi-Elemental Planes, the Energy Planes, and the Plane of Time).
    Fey: Creatures that embody the natural world, fey are exceedingly rare in Zaaman-Rul, mostly since nature has so very few realms where it is permitted to do what it wants. Nature has been so controlled in Zaaman-Rul that most fey are dead. Only Xortal and Orlyndol have sizable fey populations now.
    Giant: A dead creature type. There are no giants left in Zaaman-Rul. The last known giant species was the Stone Giant population in Khavghotan many centuries ago, but they died to a lack of breeding and slow population decline.
    Humanoid: Creatures with a distinctly human-like shape to them, so two arms, two legs, a head, and a torso.
    Magical Beast: A catch-all category, magical beats include creatures that were once animals but have been so heavily altered they form their own true-breeding species. Magical beasts are distinct from aberrations in that aberrations are created from scratch while magical beasts are modified from something else.
    M. Humanoid: Monstrous humanoids are humanoids with unnatural or overtly magical abilities.
    Ooze: Mindless creatures made from goo or protoplasm, oozes are often found in desolate places or in garbage heaps.
    Outsider: Unknown on Zaaman-Rul, outsiders are any creature native to a plane that is not the Prime Material Plane.
    Plant: Sentient or semi-sentient creatures made from plant matter, plants are, like fey, uncommon at best in Zaaman-Rul.
    Undead: Undead are sentient or mindless corpses animated through magical means. All undead are fundamentally magical in nature, and so cannot exist in an anti-magic field. Undead come in many shapes and forms.
    Vermin: Mindless massive insects, vermin are very very common in Zaaman-Rul.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there no naturally occurring undead? Are they viewed as evil, good, or neither?
    What happens to a person who dies' soul?

How are constructs viewed? Evil, good, neither? What is their potential gains or losses for most societies? Why doesn't every society replace their work force with Constructs?

I love the dragon and fey flavor. You should expand a little on that.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Are there no naturally occurring undead? Are they viewed as evil, good, or neither?
    Undead can be naturally occurring, as a result of shadow magic. However, these undead are *still* magically animated. There's no non-magical undead anywhere.

What happens to a person who dies' soul?
    The Spirit Wind whisks them to the afterlife on the Outer Planes.

How are constructs viewed? Evil, good, neither? What is their potential gains or losses for most societies? Why doesn't every society replace their work force with Constructs?
    Depends on the society. At least one has replaced their work force.

Then again, same question could be asked for default D&D, since I didn't really change anything. Just said it in different words.

I love the dragon and fey flavor. You should expand a little on that.
    ...Dragons are not going to be expanded upon, period. They are mysterious nigh-mythical creatures that can't be dealt with in any real fashion, and that's intentional. Describing Tharkrixghantix any further would only encourage people to go mess with the near-godlike beings, which isn't a great idea.

The fey angle is something I've been kicking around for awhile. I'll expand on it a little bit at some point here. Not sure when.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Undead can be naturally occurring, as a result of shadow magic. However, these undead are *still* magically animated. There's no non-magical undead anywhere.
    Interesting. As a note, the second question was about undead in general, not just natural ones, and was not answered.

The Spirit Wind whisks them to the afterlife on the Outer Planes.
    Ooo, the Spirit Wind sounds cool. This sounds like a class that devotes itself to learning and understanding the spirit wind in order to combat living but mostly undead foes. Like, all spells with the "wind" or "air" descriptor also deal X holy damage, or something like that.

Depends on the society. At least one has replaced their work force.
    Interesting. Is this working for them, or are they struggling to deal with mechanics/magic/repair of the constructs? Why are other societies not doing the same thing?

Then again, same question could be asked for default D&D, since I didn't really change anything. Just said it in different words.
    True, but the "standard" D&D setting is really bland, and honestly lame. It doesn't deal with any sociological issues, nor magical or ethical ones.

...Dragons are not going to be expanded upon, period. They are mysterious nigh-mythical creatures that can't be dealt with in any real fashion, and that's intentional. Describing Tharkrixghantix any further would only encourage people to go mess with the near-godlike beings, which isn't a great idea.
    Like, Eberron level dragons, or just really, really, really powerful? Of course, they could sort of be classified as the same thing.

The fey angle is something I've been kicking around for awhile. I'll expand on it a little bit at some point here. Not sure when.
    Sounds good. Fey are a certain interest of mine, and they tend to have some cool flavor.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. As a note, the second question was about undead in general, not just natural ones, and was not answered.
    Oh, right, undead alignment. Undead tend to fall like so:
    -"Naturally occurring" Non-sentient: True Neutral, follows their nature, much like animals.
    -"Naturally occuring" Sentient: By their own decision. They're sentient, they can choose their alignment.
    -Created Non-sentient: Actually, True Neutral. These are basically tools for their creator to use as they will. They're not inherently good or evil.
    -Created Sentient: As their creator typically. They tend to shift slightly over time as they develop their own personalities.

Ooo, the Spirit Wind sounds cool. This sounds like a class that devotes itself to learning and understanding the spirit wind in order to combat living but mostly undead foes. Like, all spells with the "wind" or "air" descriptor also deal X holy damage, or something like that.
    Maybe, yeah. The Spirit Wind is (if we want to get technical) a demiplane that connects the Prime Material to the Astral, and through the Astral ferries souls to their final rest. Course, that's my planar scholarship coming through.

Interesting. Is this working for them, or are they struggling to deal with mechanics/magic/repair of the constructs?
    Alykandor seems to be working fine. They've fine-tuned this pretty far.

Why are other societies not doing the same thing?
    Why don't most civilizations use robots to do it? Cause people are cheaper and easier. In Khavghotan, they lack the knowledge. In Orlyndol, they have a servitor race to do it. In Intolar, they have basic machines run by peasants to do it. Northwind is made from the ultimate tool users and Tharkrixghantix might, but no one knows or really cares.

True, but the "standard" D&D setting is really bland, and honestly lame. It doesn't deal with any sociological issues, nor magical or ethical ones.
    Yes, but you have to remember that reasons which hold there probably hold here in some fashion.

Like, Eberron level dragons, or just really, really, really powerful? Of course, they could sort of be classified as the same thing.
    In Eberron, dragons are default D&D dragons, there's just a lot. In Zaaman-Rul, dragons are quite different. I'll give a small amount of insight here into the structure of the draconic race in Z-R, spoilered below:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons in Zaaman-Rul don't work like they do in other settings. There are no "colors" that matter. Each dragon has a color of course, but there's no mechanical separation between them. Dragons have three age categories, wyrmling, adult, and wyrm, with the honorific "Great Wyrm" being given to the leaders of the race. In D&D terms, a Z-R wyrmling is directly comparable to a 3.5 red dragon mature adult in both size and power. A Z-R adult is the equivalent of a 3.5 red dragon great wyrm, and a Z-R wyrm is the equal of a 3.5 force dragon mature adult.

Z-R dragons are not to be screwed around with. Given that the aeries of Tharkrixghantix house hundreds if not thousands of them, any attacking force is suicidal.

Sounds good. Fey are a certain interest of mine, and they tend to have some cool flavor.
    Honestly, I don't like fey. I've never cared for them. I'm not cutting them though, since nature spirits make a lot of sense to me.