A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hell, It's About Time: Let's Play Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Campaign Mode!

Maelstroms, Refinery, and Cutthroat. I want to see Media Blitz dammit.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Hell, It's About Time: Let's Play Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Campaign Mode!

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Maelstroms, Refinery, and Cutthroat. I want to see Media Blitz dammit.
    I'll add my vote to this.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't see medics getting any special treatment, so I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or, you know, any of the civilians on the planets the Zerg/Protoss have eaten/glassed.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

5. - Top - End - #185

But Zerg/Protoss aren't human, and haven't agreed to any of these human agreements.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Which makes the previous point about protecting the civilian from the Protoss doubly invalid. But considering his previous atrocities, the Protoss are more likely to respect her civilian status and leave her alone than Mengsk is.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

For what it's worth, I think Raynor's primary concern was the potential damage she could do to his own forces if she got over-enthusiastic and swung the laser in the wrong direction by accident. Considering 'over-enthusiastic' is a pretty mild way to describe her right then, he may have been right. But poor Nora needed a Woobie Moment, so I didn't think the logic through very hard.

Vote Tally:
    Maelstrom Rounds (5)
    Save for Later (1)
    Hel's Angels (1)
    Siege Breakers (1)

Advanced Refineries (6)
    Orbital Facilities (1)

Cutthroat (4)
    Welcome To The Jungle (2)
    Prophecy Missions (2)

Cutthroat it is. You guys are mean, kicking Nora like this when she's already down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dgnslyr View Post
    But Zerg/Protoss aren't human, and haven't agreed to any of these human agreements.
    Well the Zerg will just eat/infect all of them, no room for negotiation there.

From the update with Selenis, the Protoss seem to respect Raynor enough to listen to him, so they may accept his arguments.

Mengsk would possibly do something nasty after she's in custody (non-combatant journalist status would get her that far, rather than shoot on sight), but releasing her to do an anti-rebel propaganda piece would both: A) show the rebels in a bad light and B) highlight his mercy on a journalist trying to report the 'truth'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    But poor Nora needed a Woobie Moment, so I didn't think the logic through very hard.
    Maybe if Raynor shouted at her because she might hit friendlies rather than because she's a non-combatant, it might make things clearer?

Something along the lines of "Get off the damn controls you klutz before you hit one of us!"

Cutthroat it is. You guys are mean, kicking Nora like this when she's already down.
    Some of us are still carrying a grudge for her comments from update 9.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2010-10-31 at 07:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Maybe if Raynor shouted at her because she might hit friendlies rather than because she's a non-combatant, it might make things clearer?

Something along the lines of "Get off the damn controls you klutz before you hit one of us!"
    That's sort of the same thing to his mind there - she's not trained in fighting, so if anyone's going to man the laser, it should be a soldier. And besides, retconning it at this point would invalidate all the lovely discussion.

Writing Cutthroat now.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I, for one, liked the reporter when she got power hungry.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I, for one, liked the reporter when she got power hungry.
    "Sir, I think you've gone mad with power."
    "Of course I have. Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you!"

Update 11: In Which a Pre-Nuptial Agreement Is Rendered Superfluous

Cutthroat

Spoiler
    Show

October 24, 2504:

Dear Diary;

Still angry, still want to cry. All I was trying to do was help. Sure, it was only to ensure I live long enough to get my story published and see the Raiders brought to justice for good…but that’s long-term. Short-term, I was doing a good thing, right?

October 25, 2504:

Dear Diary;

Mr. Raynor actually came to see me today. He wanted to apologize for getting upset on Xill. Seems he was upset about my using the drill on the Protoss for two reasons. First, he had been worried that some of the other Raiders might get caught in the blast radius, and a trained soldier would have been better at aiming the weapon. I didn’t realize basic training covered giant laser cannon drills, but okay

. His other reason was that weaponizing the drill would have tipped off the Tal-Darim that someone (me) was inside the drill and running it manually. They had butchered the Moebius team but left all their buildings, and the drill, perfectly untouched once. Since the drill could run remotely, he had hoped to keep me safe in there, and if the base got overrun, shut it off and have me lie low until the Protoss went away and the Hyperion could sneak in a rescue team. That made more sense, though I think it was still risky, and the drill turned out to be such an awesome weapon anyways. Still, at least he meant well.

October 27, 2504:

Dear Diary;

I finally came out of my room today. I knew Raynor wasn’t mad anymore, and Tychus had probably already forgotten about the whole thing, but I didn’t know if Matt was still upset. Turns out he wasn’t, or if he was, he didn’t show it. He looked almost sick for some reason, and didn’t even look at me. we were holding orbit around the infamous Deadman’s Rock, and let me tell you, Diary, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. The only reason this place hasn’t been annexed, or simply blown to smithereens, by any of the human factions is that it’s the home base for half the mercenary groups in the sector, and no one wants to piss all of them off at once that way. Nasty planet, and for once I was really glad to be in the company of a bigger, meaner mercenary group than any on the Rock.

We were here for one in particular, though – a Colonel Orlan, supposedly an expert in decrypting Confederate computers. Raynor was paying him to crack the security codes on the adjutant that they stole from Tarsonis, but he was taking a real long time to do so, and everyone was getting nervous. Takes a mercenary to know a mercenary, I guess. Sure enough, I had just made myself comfortable when a transmission came in from someone ID’ing herself as Mira Han, who turned out to be a merc woman with a cybernetic eye and the most garish shade of pink hair I’ve seen in years. Normally, Matt would have handled the com chat, but when I looked at his station…he was gone. That was strange, I don’t think I’d ever seen him leave the bridge while I was here, except for when he went to go pry Raynor out of his cabin.

She seemed friendly enough with Raynor, though, cheerfully explaining that she’d called to warn him that Orlan was selling Raynor out to the Dominion, and had put her troops on retainer to watch his back until troops arrived to collect the adjutant. And why was she telling him? Because Raynor had the opportunity to hire her first, for the same price Orlan was giving. So much for loyalty, but Raynor wasn’t complaining.

Orlan had a head start on the contract price, though, and Han had just as cheerfully warned us that she’d stick with the original deal if he paid up first. So the Raiders got to work, dropping down a base and starting to mine the rather meager mineral outcroppings left from decades of mercenary scavenging.

On the bright side, there was an incredible amount of salvageable scrap lying around – this time from decades of mercenaries killing each other while trying to scavenge. Funny how history repeats itself, isn’t it? It’d give Raynor a boost in his race to catch up to Orlan though.

And then there were the planet’s junk processing machines, left on automatic for who knows how long. They were constantly unearthing scrap from the bottoms of the refuse piles and packing them for transit. Hey, free money, I guess.

And speaking of free – that mercenary we were scrambling to buy off, Mira Han? A few minutes after we landed, one of her dropships flew in and dropped off a bunch of Vulture hoverbikes. They didn’t look like much – one of my ex’s owned a stripped-down civilian model, and I can’t count the number of times he almost died from the thing’s repulsor pads shorting out or overheating. Looking at Raynor, though, it was like his birthday and Christmas had come at once! I thought he was going to ask Han to marry him, he was so happy. Still…free stuff from a mercenary who was still waiting to see if she’d betray us or not? Maybe they were rigged with explosives or something.

They had full Spider Mine racks, though. I saw They Came From Below IV when it came out in theatres a few years back, but it was a really bad holo, and the plot was ridiculous anyways. Raynor dumped the entire supply into a big thick minefield along the southern end of our base, as a fun little surprise if Orlan’s troops came calling.

Terran wreckage wasn’t the only thing lying around either. Some of the salvage crates turned out to be full of black market Protoss hardware, destined for some collector’s museum or underground research laboratory. So we took them instead, for our spacegoing research laboratory.

Even with the salvage, though, Orlan was well ahead of us, and keeping his lead. So Raynor decided to even the odds a bit. The Vultures and mines were left to guard our base, and a bunch of drug-hopped Raiders went out to slow Orlan down by killing his miners.

And in true [s]munchkin[/i] mercenary fashion, taking their stuff afterwards.

Without his miners, Orlan couldn’t pay off his debt, and it was a piece of cake for the Raiders to run around gobbling up salvage until they had enough scrap to buy Mira Han’s troops. There were a lot of them, including some other mercenary detachments, and all done out in the same eye-melting pink as her hair. Evidently, bloodthirstiness and cold-blooded betrayal doesn’t leave any time to go visit a decent stylist. Sheesh!

It didn’t take long to figure out why Orlan had needed to hire Mira Han to defend him – he barely had any troops of his own, and they were all horribly inexperienced. Raynor’s Raiders and the new mercenaries demolished his defensive perimeter without any trouble at all.

Of course, that should have been suspicious…but even Han hadn’t realized Orlan owned a tactical nuke! We barely got out of the blast radius in time. Those things are dangerous – have you seen the sort of split ends that concentrated radiation can cause? I made sure to stay well back until the rad-detectors stopped shrieking. The infantry hung back too, while our armored vehicles kept up the attack.

Behind the nuke, Orlan had a siege tank.

We had more siege tanks.

This Colonel Orlan sure was full of suprises. First the nuclear bomb, then, out of nowhere, a Minotaur-class battlecruiser drops out of low orbit on top of us! Where Orlan got his hands on top-end Dominion military hardware like a Minotaur is beyond me.

He didn’t have it for long, fortunately, thanks to the Raider’s Viking squadron. The surviving pilot is still in the cantina getting free drinks from the rest of the crew, lucky bugger.

With the battlecruiser out of the way, the Raiders set up on Orlan’s doorstep and starting blowing chunks off his fortress until he surrendered.

It didn’t take long, since he was completely out of troops and we had siege tanks knocking on his front door. Orlan just wanted to hand over the adjutant and crawl into his hole, but Raynor decided to punish his backstabbing by putting the slimy hacker into cryo for a few years, in custody of Mira Han.

She agreed, without even demanding a fee. Said it was her gift to Raynor, but asked him to make sure Matthew (she meant Matt?) called before they left the system. She hadn’t seen him since their wedding, after all.

What.

Matt…is married? To a mercenary? And he never told me? I’ve been pining after him for weeks, ever since I got onboard the Hyperion, and no one ever mentioned he was MARRIED? The cad! The wretch! The sneaky, heart-stealing, backstabbing, train-robbing, untrustworthy, ungrateful, two-timing…..Aaaaagh! Where’s my giant laser? I’m going to kill him, see if I don’t! Then I’ll kill Mira Han too!

Or…maybe not. She does have a lot more guns, and my giant laser’s still back on Xill surrounded by crazy aliens who are probably still upset we stole their great-great-great-great-lots of greats-grandfather’s favorite coffee table.

Jerk.

Armory: 135,000 to spend:

+40% Firebat attack spread (40,000)
    +2 Firebat armor (85,000)
    2x Hellion attack spread, 40,000)
    +10 Hellion damage vs. light armor, 60,000)
    +75 HP to Missile Turrets, 50,000)
    Missile Turrets do AoE damage, 80,000)
    Hire Devil Dog Firebat Mercenaries (25,000)
    Diamondbacks +1 Range (75,000)
    Diamondbacks +50 HP (90,000)
    Hire Hel's Angels Viking Mercenaries (45,000)
    Ripwave Missiles (Viking anti-air attacks do splash damage = 75,000)
    SCV's repair units and structures 2x as fast = 80,000
    Hire Siege Breakers (2 Elite Siege Tanks, 45,000)
    Siege tanks do 75% less damage to friendly units = 140,000) - can't buy this now, but if you want it ASAP, make your vote Save Everything.
    New: Cerebrus Mines (Spider Mines have +33% blast radius and trigger radius = 50,000)
    New: Replenishable Magazines (Vultures can rearm Spider Mines for 15 minerals/mine) = 60,000
    Save Everything (0)

Missions:
    -Welcome to the Jungle: Harvest terrazine gas on Bel'Shir (120,000 and +3 Protoss Tech, Goliaths)
    -Engine of Destruction: Hjack the Odin War Walker on Valhalla (120,000 and +3 Zerg research, Wraiths)
    -The Moebius Factor: Evacuate Moebius secrets before the Queen of Blades can steal them (120,000, +3 Zerg, Medivacs)
    -The Prophecy Missions (no units, no money, total of +13 Zerg and +11 Protoss Research)

Research Total: Protoss 13/Zerg 11
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-10-31 at 10:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... Now, on the spirit of making your life easier, I will say these:

Save Everything.
    Welcome to the Jungle.

I don't want to send you into Engine of Destruction and Media Blitz before you get Orbital Commands. Dropping a M.U.L.E. next to Odin is just too much of an easy mode to pass up on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #193

Reloadable Spidar Mines and Welcome to the Jungle (, Baby!)
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

14. - Top - End - #194

Save Everything, nothing particularly eye-catching yet.

I'd like to see Media Blitz soon, but this isn't a formal vote.
    Last edited by dgnslyr; 2010-10-31 at 11:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

Hel's Angels, Siege Breakers, and Engine of Destruction. We need Media Blitz!
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Hmm... Now, on the spirit of making your life easier, I will say these:

Save Everything.
    Welcome to the Jungle.

I don't want to send you into Engine of Destruction and Media Blitz before you get Orbital Commands. Dropping a M.U.L.E. next to Odin is just too much of an easy mode to pass up on.
    Hmm...good point. Orbital Command opens up after 12 completed missions...

*puppy dog eyes at audience*

17. - Top - End - #197

Er, how does a MULE turn Engine of Destruction into "easy mode"? My best guess is that it has a super-fast repair ability, but that by itself doesn't strike me as automatically trivializing the mission.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

hel's Angels.

why are you not buying Merc's? Merc's are one of the best parts of the game!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...good point. Orbital Command opens up after 12 completed missions...

*puppy dog eyes at audience*
    Fine by me but then I vote you hold off the prophecy missions for a while ,so you can do "Percing the shroud" before you do them (if it's possible).
    (small spoilers below for those who haven't played the campain)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it would be would funnier to see the "blind" reaction of the narator to a hybrid ;then only after; when she touched the cristal, when she realises what it is and the implications of it's presence (and cloning) in a Dominion facility

In the meantime, "Welcomme to the jungle" and whatever you want with your money.

Er, how does a MULE turn Engine of Destruction into "easy mode"? My best guess is that it has a super-fast repair ability, but that by itself doesn't strike me as automatically trivializing the mission.
    Well, it repairs pretty fast, wich makes the Odin nearly invicible as long as you can drop Mules near it. and since protecting the Odin is the whole point of the mission, itmùakes it a lot easier.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-11-01 at 01:47 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Save Everything (to get the tank upgrade) and Engine of Destruction.

Seriously, Orbitals don't make that mission (which is already pathetically easy on anything but Brutal) noticeably easier.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #201

Okay, so I don't actually need MULES for Engine of Destruction. I just like MULES, and the upgrade costs 125,000 (more than I'll get from the mission, so I need surplus left over from this round).

@smuchmuch, and anyone else who feels like it:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd actually considered a viewpoint swap for Piercing The Shroud. It's probably the only mission in the game that I think I'd have trouble excusing the reporter tagging along for, so I was thinking about having Raynor narrate it.

Voting is still ongoing till later today. Save Everything has a convincing lead over its competitors (good, the upgrades from here on out are expensive, and we've exhausted the decent ones), and Welcome To The Jungle is leading by a slim margin over Engine of Destruction.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-11-01 at 11:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

@smuchmuch, and anyone else who feels like it:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd actually considered a viewpoint swap for Piercing The Shroud. It's probably the only mission in the game that I think I'd have trouble excusing the reporter tagging along for, so I was thinking about having Raynor narrate it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who not have her interview Raynor about what happened, while footage from his helmet cam plays? She can actually sort of be a reporter for once. It means that you can have her not be there without actually requiring a perspective shift.

Save everything, Engine of Destruction.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who not have her interview Raynor about what happened, while footage from his helmet cam plays? She can actually sort of be a reporter for once. It means that you can have her not be there without actually requiring a perspective shift.

Save everything, Engine of Destruction.
    That's not a bad idea actually. Especially since it'll happen after Media Blitz, so she'll have a perspective shift.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-11-01 at 02:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dual Fusion Welders (SCV 2x Repair Speed) and Welcome to the Jungle. See, later on when you use more mechanical units, having those is so crucial it's insane. So it's a choice between a M.U.L.E. and a SCV, where an SCV lasts longer... I'd go with the SCV. Even more so if the SCV upgrade affects M.U.L.E.s.

25. - Top - End - #205

Yay, a mission tiebreaker.

Welcome to the Jungle wins by 1 vote, Save Everything wins over its competition by a huge amount. Update likely tomorrow, I'll be playing it out tonight. And yes, I'll be completing the Feat of Strength.

26. - Top - End - #206

I have a suggestion about the Protoss missions.

Considering that she has a perspective shift after Media Blitz, she might get inquisitive enough to not only interview Raynor but also, when nobody was looking, use the Crystal herself. I think it would be a bit more interesting to see her experiencing it for herself, with Raynor's insight added on.

After all - his helmet camera isn't going to pick up anything from a telepathic message. Particularly because he doesn't wear a helmet when he's in the laboratory...
    Last edited by Talanic; 2010-11-02 at 09:28 PM.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    I have a suggestion about the Protoss missions.

Considering that she has a perspective shift after Media Blitz, she might get inquisitive enough to not only interview Raynor but also, when nobody was looking, use the Crystal herself. I think it would be a bit more interesting to see her experiencing it for herself, with Raynor's insight added on.
    That's actually what I was going to do. She'll be interviewing Raynor for Piercing the Shroud (thanks for the suggestion Daedalus), but I had already figured I'd let her touch the crystal herself out of curiosity.

Also, update!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12: In Which The Tal’Darim Refuse To Pass Gas

Welcome To The Jungle

Spoiler
    Show

October 28, 2504:

That weirdo Tosh was skulking around again today. I guess visiting Deadman’s Port put Mr. Raynor back in a mercenary mood, because he finally agreed to go in on Tosh’s next get-rich-quick scheme. On the surface, it didn’t seem too complicated - there was a planet covered in vents that spewed out a rare gas, which Tosh claimed could be sold for big payouts. Have I mentioned the guy has no pupils? Just blank white eyes, its really freaky.

October 29, 2504:

Captain Horner pulled the ship into orbit smoothly enough, and everyone hopped out to go do some harvesting. I found out that it’s really hard to swat mosquitoes with power armor on, and even worse when you accidentally seal one inside your helmet.

Gas vents were all over the place, and there didn’t look to be any rush scooping them up. Of course, it never hurt to be careful – for all we knew, the planet was inhabited by dinosaurs who thought humans made a delicious lunch.

Not dinosaurs, as it turns out, but something worse. Now Tosh explains that he ‘forgot’ another faction of those crazy Taldarri Protoss live here, worshipping the gas vents or some sort of nonsense. Raynor was more than a bit upset, but since we were already stuck in, figured he might as well stick it out and get paid.

That is, until the Protoss started collapsing the gas vents. Tosh got really upset when Captain Horner reported this, and even Raynor was annoyed – aliens or no aliens, he wanted his paycheck, and so did the rest of the Raiders. So they made this clear to the Taldarri with…extreme prejudice.

The Protoss outpost nearby wasn’t very heavily defended, and it looked to make a nice chokepoint for fending off the constant raids on our base. It was almost as if the Protoss weren’t bothering to defend it at all, just letting us wipe it out.

So naturally none of us were expecting them to have more of the giant strider-bots from Xill. It turns out that they’re a lot more dangerous when you don’t have a giant laser to melt them with, and just one of them chewed up our infantry pretty bad before it got shot to pieces.

Not that their airpower was any less problematic. Swann tried hauling out some ancient Goliaths from a dusty storage vault, but they couldn’t handle the damage, and it was expensive fabricating new parts for them. A couple of the SCV drivers actually dragged the last one into a garage and cannibalized it into spare parts for their suits while the pilot was having a smoke break. No one was particularly upset, even the pilot.

The men were getting tired from hiking all over the place fending off attempts at caving in the vents, so Raynor decided to try and make use of the leftover Vultures they’d brought from Deadman’s Port.

His theory was that laying Spider Mines around the vents would kill the workers they were sending to collapse them, and maybe slow them down a bit out of caution. It failed miserably – somehow, they were able to detect the mines and shoot them up from a safe distance – but hey, points for effort, right?

Tosh wouldn’t shut up about the gas, though, and finally Raynor was comfortable enough with his defensive posture to send a squad out to begin collecting the stuff.

Predictably, this cheesed off the Protoss even worse than us just being here did. Their objection notice was swift and exceedingly violent, but it didn’t actually accomplish much. The Raiders were old hands at killing Protoss now, particularly the crazy kind.

One gas vent down, a whole bunch more to go.

With the Taldarri running rampant, though, it was going to be a long and difficult process getting all the gas that Tosh wanted. Predictably, Raynor decided that he’d solve the second problem by getting rid of the first. It must have caught the Taldarri by surprise when their next attack force ran headlong into a fortified gunline, and we bottled them up inside their base pretty easily.

After that, smashing the bottle was a piece of cake. They didn’t try to surrender, and Raynor never asked. They fought hard though, really fanatical warriors just for some funny-smelling air.

They were also sitting on a few shiny-looking relics that we promptly scooped up for Geek Boy to drool over. He’s been going on and on about this weird crystal that he’s growing in the lab - if an alien pet rock keeps the skeeve away from me, I’m fine with that.

Finally, they just gave up and left, letting us have the gas. Raynor and Captain Horner were really angry at Tosh, but the guy was cool as ice, blowing them off and playing around with that weird knife he carries. Sometimes, I think everyone in this outfit is crazy. Except for me.

Spoiler
    Show

Armory Upgrades: 255,000 to spend

+40% Firebat attack spread (40,000)
    +2 Firebat armor (85,000)
    2x Hellion attack spread, 40,000)
    +10 Hellion damage vs. light armor, 60,000)
    +75 HP to Missile Turrets, 50,000)
    Missile Turrets do AoE damage, 80,000)
    Hire Devil Dog Firebat Mercenaries (25,000)
    Diamondbacks +1 Range (75,000)
    Diamondbacks +50 HP (90,000)
    Hire Hel's Angels Viking Mercenaries (45,000)
    Ripwave Missiles (Viking anti-air attacks do splash damage = 75,000)
    SCV's repair units and structures 2x as fast = 80,000
    Hire Siege Breakers (2 Elite Siege Tanks, 45,000)
    Siege tanks do 75% less damage to friendly units = 140,000
    Cerebrus Mines (Spider Mines have +33% blast radius and trigger radius = 50,000)
    Replenishable Magazines (Vultures can rearm Spider Mines for 15 minerals/mine) = 60,000
    New: Orbital Command (Command Centers can now deploy Scanner Sweeps and call down MULES) = 125,000
    New: Fire Suppression Systems (Terran Buildings extinguish fires and repair to 50% life) = 90,000
    New: Multi-Lock Weapons (Goliaths can fire at air and ground simultaneously) = 50,000
    New: Ares-Class Targeters (Goliaths gain +3 missile range, +1 cannon range) = 80,000
    New: Hire Spartan Company - (2 Elite Goliaths) = 40,000
    Save Everything (0)
    Save Surplus (0)

Research - Protoss 16, Zerg 11
    Choose:

A) Automated Refineries - Refineries now collect gas without needing SCVS for transport
    or
    B) Command Center Reactor - can build SCVs two at a time. (bleeeeeh.)

Mission:
    -Engine of Destruction: Hjack the Odin War Walker on Valhalla (120,000 and +3 Zerg research, Wraiths)
    -The Moebius Factor: Evacuate Moebius secrets before the Queen of Blades can steal them (120,000, +3 Zerg, Medivacs)
    -The Prophecy Missions (no units, no money, total of +13 Zerg and +11 Protoss Research)

I'll assume a heavy vote for EoD, but throwing it out anyways. When missions happen affects her perspective on them, after all.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-11-02 at 09:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Auto Refineries, because they're awesome. Even more so if we picked up Micro-Filtration (But I can't tell if we did or not. Can we get a list of the the upgrades already purchased?)

Orbital Command is going to be HUGELY powerful for you. Get it. Now.

Ares Class Targeters. Maybe it's me, but I freaking LOVE Goliaths. They're cheap, powerful and when upgraded, can kick all kinds of ass. Anti air and anti ground? Good range? Can fire at both targets simultaneously? These guys are to Thors as to what Thors are to the Odin. Though if people are set on Engine of Destruction, PLEASE go with the 2x SCV Repair. It'll be absolutely vital when keeping the big guy alive.

Moebius Factor for the mission. Medivacs are awesome, and unlocking them will be great for carting around your Thors. Unless we're getting the Hercules Dropships. In which case THOSE are even better. If there's going to be an outcry for Hercules in the future, change my vote to Prophecy Missions.
    Last edited by Korias; 2010-11-02 at 10:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Hel's Angels.

heck just Hire any mercs you havent allready
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Auto-Refineries

Orbital Command (And Save the rest, since you can't buy the Tank boost).

Engine of Destruction! Because there is no unkickable ass when you have the Odin.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing