A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Life in Hell [Community Worldbuilding Project]

Well I've read CWP's here before, hung on every word, and occasionally even contributed (admittedly badly), so I thought I'd give my own one a shot.

If anyone doesn't know what a Community Worldbuilding Project is, this was, I believe, the first one, and should give you an idea.

The Premise:
    200 years ago the catastrophe happened. It is not known exactly what the nature of the catastrophe was, but it is known that it was enough to shatter the prime material plane into a belt of asteroid-like shards inside the ethereal plane. And slowly severed all links to the Outer Planes one by one.
    In a desperate attempt to save life on the plane, many mages joined together and cast a sepll to open a great portal. Unfortunately, by the time they reached the end of the spell and had to choose the plane; the plane of hell was the only one with a still functioning link, and thus was the exodus sent to hell. Now, the races are slowly carving out kingdoms and fighting for survival, literally, in hell.

NOTES
    This hell is not any already-developed D&D plane such as the abyss, as that would limit the creative freedom, and you may feel completely free to customise this hell. I personally imagine it similar to Dante's concept of hell (with the layers) with the higher layers being mostly populated by these evacuees, and lower levels them having to viciously fight every day for survival.

Archive

Settlements

Organisations
    The Black Blood Citadel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Bloods were originally a group of exorcists working for a major religion. They wandered the world banishing evil beings, seeking to bring peace to the lands of man. After the catastrophe they found that every creature they banished now stayed close to home.
    Most exorcists died within months as demons they had fought quickly returned to destroy the weakened exorcists. As their numbers shrank they sought a solution to their problems. Eventually they realized that power in this land came from the souls of mortals.
    Then the unthinkable happened, a leading Exorcist began feeding on the souls of the damned, gaining the power to utterly destroy his enemies, no longer worrying about banishing. He feared retribution for his actions, but was pleasantly surprised when many came to him hoping to learn his ways. They were willing to pay the price needed to avenge their fallen comrades.
    The Black Bloods take their name from the corruption in their veins. Feeding on souls leaves the mortals blood black as night and poisonous to the being. With the power in their hands they lead a crusade against Demons, seeking to reshape hell into a true home for the mortals stranded their.

Notes: The corruption in their veins sickens the exorcists, while they gain immense power, that power also destroys their body. Taking on lesser demons at high levels would be nothing, but the more difficult the opponent, the more strain on the body. Veteran exorcist would be warped and fragile beings with visibly black veins and an aura of frigid air around them.

Races
    Demoons
    Spoiler
    Show

Before the planar connections were severed, many souls entered hell, none knowing who or what they had been before hand. The most vile and ambitious of these soon took advantage of their surroundings to gain power over the other souls. These Demons as they soon became known grew in power and soon lost any semblance of their former lives, mentally and physically. Now no one knows their origins, some say they don't even know, all that is known is that their power is real.
    In the early ages of Hell many sought the same power as the progenitors, but never achieved the same effect, soon the difference in power became apparent as the originators took on the title of Demon lords, while the imposters became the average demonic forces roaming hell.
    It didn't take long for younger demons to seek to repopulate their ranks in hopes of overthrowing their "lords", but soon they realized their transformation had taken from them the ability to reproduce. Through vile and ancient magics they sought to bypass this. At first mortal souls were corrupted in ways that changed them, and armies amassed under various nobles.
    The project was a failure however, the mortal souls retained their need for independence, and fought their makers on the field of battle, ignoring their orders. It became apparent that the souls were useless as pawns, and hope began to fade.
    Unknown to the demons, the Demon Lords were watching their childrens failed efforts and sought to pacify their anger through knowledge. They gifted them with the knowledge of using souls to power their magic. With the teachings the demons began to perfect the art of destroying souls to create demons, void of emotion and personality. A new breed that could be made into anything they wanted.
    Souls are harvested as fuel for the demonic forges, pumping out foot soldiers to do their masters bidding, allowing forces to be replenished even without reproduction. This would also explain why the Children of Limbo hate the humans, the Demon lords needed to limit the souls they took before the catastrophe, only taking what they needed. Now that their are mortals in the realm, they seek to enslave them for Phasma, and the fact that they are a replenishing fuel source. Just make more mortals when you need to.

Classes

Misc
    Last edited by IcarusWings; 2010-10-22 at 12:30 AM.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Life in Hell [Community Worldbuilding Project]

There could be severel approaches to how the humans interact with the demons:
    A. The humans built fortress cities, and the demons constantly try to break inside and kill humans.
    B. The demons don`t want to destroy humanity (still, they won`t mind killing a human here and there), becuse they gain something from humanoids being there. They could feed on their sanity, for exemple.
    C. The demons accept humanoids as denizens of hell, and treat them like they treat each other.

Addition in editing: it could be all three, but in diffrent areas.
    Last edited by akma; 2010-10-19 at 12:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by akma View Post
    There could be severel approaches to how the humans interact with the demons:
    A. The humans built fortress cities, and the demons constantly try to break inside and kill humans.
    B. The demons don`t want to destroy humanity (still, they won`t mind killing a human here and there), becuse they gain something from humanoids being there. They could feed on their sanity, for exemple.
    C. The demons accept humanoids as denizens of hell, and treat them like they treat each other.

Addition in editing: it could be all three, but in diffrent areas.
    Yeah, I 'spect it would vary with settlements. I don't think demons would ever accept the PC races as their own however, but I could see them working together with some settlements.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ever read the []...in Hell books, I think they were edited by CJ Cherryh and Janet Morris.

Might be illustrative...

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornMage View Post
    Ever read the []...in Hell books, I think they were edited by CJ Cherryh and Janet Morris.

Might be illustrative...
    If you mean the ones by Matt Groening then yes (the ones with all the bunnies and Akbar and Jeff) but that's not particularly the feel I think this should be going with. If you don't mean those, then I'll take a look if you direct me to somewhere that talks about them.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No, Matt Groening was not involved.

Heroes in Hell is a decent summary.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you're looking for ideas, I'm thinking let Hells inhabitants use mortals for some type of hellish drug, something like the emotion drugs from SyFy's Alice mini-series.

Images pop into my head about farms where Demons use humans and force them to feel certain emotions as they drain them away to bottle for the Demonic aristocracy.

This leads into my second idea about a city in limbo, where the citizens didn't make it through to hell unchanged. They are in a constant state of flux, changing from mortal to ghost. The Demons would want these people not only for their emotions, but also for the spirit energies they can harvest from them in ghost form?

Just some ideas that popped into my head when reading the original post.

If you like these, I'm more than willing to help with ideas, my brains an endless maze of 'em

Peace,
    Pyre

Great Avatar by Cryssandra

8. - Top - End - #8

No, Matt Groening was not involved.

Heroes in Hell is a decent summary.
    Right, looking at that summary, it seems interesting. But it doesn't really seem to have much other than there being dead word leaders ruling factions (which is pretty cool), there doesn't seem to be much that could link in with this. Now, I'm sure the books themselves do have things which could link, but I don't know the books and I've only read the summary. If you want, you can work out some ideas based on the content of those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre_Born View Post
    If you're looking for ideas, I'm thinking let Hells inhabitants use mortals for some type of hellish drug, something like the emotion drugs from SyFy's Alice mini-series.

Images pop into my head about farms where Demons use humans and force them to feel certain emotions as they drain them away to bottle for the Demonic aristocracy.
    This is great, but they wouldn't do it on all mortals (I assume most would fight back), but it's still awesome.
    This leads into my second idea about a city in limbo, where the citizens didn't make it through to hell unchanged. They are in a constant state of flux, changing from mortal to ghost. The Demons would want these people not only for their emotions, but also for the spirit energies they can harvest from them in ghost form?
    This is also really cool

Just some ideas that popped into my head when reading the original post.

If you like these, I'm more than willing to help with ideas, my brains an endless maze of 'em

Peace,
    Pyre
    yeah, keep these coming definitely.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post

This is great, but they wouldn't do it on all mortals (I assume most would fight back), but it's still awesome.

This is also really cool

yeah, keep these coming definitely.
    Sweet, thanks, and I'll keep posting as it comes to me. Speaking of that her's some more...

As to the humans as cattle part, yeah they won't do it to everyone. But they'll TRY, most people will fight, some will hide.

Another idea would be the different reactions people would have. Some will fight to defend themselves, while some will hide and let others protect them. However, you figure some people are going to try to sell out their fellow mortals in hopes of living in peace. Their could also be "Emotion Junkies" that are addicted to the same drug as Demons and go out of their way to capture people to sell to the highest bidder (no pun intended )

It could be conceivable that some people may even "rent" themselves out to demons lower on the social ladder, because they enjoy what they are put through to get the Emotion Drug out of them. It could really get into the darker aspects of humanity without being overtly graphic.

The dangers of Hell itself would bring about a lot of job opportunities for people as well. Since being outside of populated areas would probably be "at your own risk" mercenary bands and private guides would probably be the most wanted profession for anyone wanted to travel the Plane.

Paranoia could be a major issue in "civilized" areas once the mortals realize that some demons could possibly pose as humans, with little to no detection. I can see a major religion going from town to town preaching about Witches and Warlocks in pacts with Succubi and Incubi, calling for burnings and repentance. Leading to witch hunts and inquisitions...and who knows, the Inquisitors may not be exactly what they look like

A good question to pose would be, can mortals communicate with their gods? or better yet, is it even their god they are communicating with, or a Demon Lord hacking into their prayers, slowly converting them to damnation.

Fairy Tales, and Boogeyman stories will take on a whole new meaning for kids...especially when Daddy is too afraid to check the closet or under the bed and leaves a holy symbol telling you "Good Luck, Sleep Tight"

I've got more, but I'm gonna take a little break

Peace,
    Pyre
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-19 at 03:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Sweet, thanks, and I'll keep posting as it comes to me. Speaking of that her's some more...

As to the humans as cattle part, yeah they won't do it to everyone. But they'll TRY, most people will fight, some will hide.
    Yeah, I'd also say that not all demons should do this either and that it should be a specific organisation. Although I do think that they would get large portions of the demon populations hooked and then use their influence to usurp factions and demon lords for their own gain.

Another idea would be the different reactions people would have. Some will fight to defend themselves, while some will hide and let others protect them. However, you figure some people are going to try to sell out their fellow mortals in hopes of living in peace. Their could also be "Emotion Junkies" that are addicted to the same drug as Demons and go out of their way to capture people to sell to the highest bidder (no pun intended )
    Me likey. We need to start thinking of specific mortal settlements, with details on how they react to both the demons and drug dealers (which are also demons, but meh) (and we need a name for the drug).

It could be conceivable that some people may even "rent" themselves out to demons lower on the social ladder, because they enjoy what they are put through to get the Emotion Drug out of them. It could really get into the darker aspects of humanity without being overtly graphic.
    Nasty and has a nice (well, nasty) outlook on human nature. I like it.

The dangers of Hell itself would bring about a lot of job opportunities for people as well. Since being outside of populated areas would probably be "at your own risk" mercenary bands and private guides would probably be the most wanted profession for anyone wanted to travel the Plane.
    Yeah, these guys will probably be the PCs and other adventurers

Paranoia could be a major issue in "civilized" areas once the mortals realize that some demons could possibly pose as humans, with little to no detection. I can see a major religion going from town to town preaching about Witches and Warlocks in pacts with Succubi and Incubi, calling for burnings and repentance. Leading to witch hunts and inquisitions...and who knows, the Inquisitors may not be exactly what they look like
    I very much like the witch hunts idea, I've always loved that part of history. It also has the nice irony of people accusing innocents of being demons and killing, when there are plenty of other demons to kill who are laying siege to your city.

A good question to pose would be, can mortals communicate with their gods? or better yet, is it even their god they are communicating with, or a Demon Lord hacking into their prayers, slowly converting them to damnation.
    I'd like the idea of clerics actively worshipping the demon lords, even if they're not evil. And the truly faithful (e.g. those who worship the gods) don't get any powers from it.
    [/QUOTE]

I'll probably take a nap now too, so see ya' for now
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I'd also say that not all demons should do this either and that it should be a specific organisation. Although I do think that they would get large portions of the demon populations hooked and then use their influence to usurp factions and demon lords for their own gain.
    Yeah, it makes me think of a low powered group of demons using the drug to gain power by getting others addicted. But soon, others will try to make the drug themselves leading to infighting amongst the dealers.

The drugs could also help Demons keep their station within the hierarchy, a drugged populace is less likely to overthrow you!

Me likey. We need to start thinking of specific mortal settlements, with details on how they react to both the demons and drug dealers (which are also demons, but meh) (and we need a name for the drug).
    Sweet...not sure about a name, if I think of any I'll put some ideas up

Edit: Phasma is Latin for Spirit (at least according to the online translator )

I'll think up some more later

Nasty and has a nice (well, nasty) outlook on human nature. I like it.
    I figured Hell would...well it'd be Hell on mortals, leading to major extremes in the human psyche.

Yeah, these guys will probably be the PCs and other adventurers
    More than likely, but not all the groups would necessarily have good intentions, and may get upset when the PC's start stepping on their business' toes. (I seem to enjoy bringing in the seedy side of humanity )

I very much like the witch hunts idea, I've always loved that part of history. It also has the nice irony of people accusing innocents of being demons and killing, when there are plenty of other demons to kill who are laying siege to your city.
    Yeah, I get you their, I always loved the futility of scapegoating people while leaving the true threat in the shadows

I'd like the idea of clerics actively worshipping the demon lords, even if they're not evil. And the truly faithful (e.g. those who worship the gods) don't get any powers from it.
    The catch would be, do they know it's not their god. Are they just desperate for help and ignoring the facts, or are they truly ignorant to the fact, either way, what effect would it have on their mind. Knowing your god isn't answering, or finding out you've been aiding a demon should both have an impact on a person.

I'll probably take a nap now too, so see ya' for now
    Enjoy the nap...at the rate i'm going, there will probably be more ideas up next time you check

Peace,
    Pyre
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-19 at 03:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just a thought on the idea of the Layered Circles of Dante's Inferno. In Dante's the first circle of Limbo wasn't truly a "Hell" as in torture and all that. Those that were guiltless but not saved went here. So what if the "First Layer" could have been the closest thing to a sanctuary for souls in Hell.

Before the arrival of mortals, Demons would only come here for sport or such, but rarely. After the arrival, the curiosity brought forth the Demons, bent on obtaining Mortals, something they probably aren't very used to on the plane.

So, it could be very possible that the souls trapped here before the arrival may not have the greatest opinion of the mortals, seeing them (rightfully) as the reason for their current Demon infestation.

Also, would the dead leave the plane, or appear as spirits back in hell? If they stay on the plane after death regardless of belief or actions, some of the population may start living like Caligula at a Frat party when they realize nothing they do will save them from Hell.

Peace,
    Pyre

For reference:
    Dante's Hell
    Demon Names
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-19 at 04:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Sweet...not sure about a name, if I think of any I'll put some ideas up

Edit: Phasma is Latin for Spirit (at least according to the online translator )

I'll think up some more later
    Yeah, maybe phasma is the proper name and it gets shortened to Phas? I knida' like it. I think it shoul also have a couple street names, so maybe something like Spike (from the spike of emotion you get)?

The catch would be, do they know it's not their god. Are they just desperate for help and ignoring the facts, or are they truly ignorant to the fact, either way, what effect would it have on their mind. Knowing your god isn't answering, or finding out you've been aiding a demon should both have an impact on a person.
    The idea was more that they knew that it was demon lords giving them power, but they don't care any more, they just want that divine power that was severed from them, like an addiction. I like the idea of divine magic being like a drug in and of itself, and all the clerics, no matter how good, are addicted, and the demon lords are the only way they can get it.

Just a thought on the idea of the Layered Circles of Dante's Inferno. In Dante's the first circle of Limbo wasn't truly a "Hell" as in torture and all that. Those that were guiltless but not saved went here. So what if the "First Layer" could have been the closest thing to a sanctuary for souls in Hell.

Before the arrival of mortals, Demons would only come here for sport or such, but rarely. After the arrival, the curiosity brought forth the Demons, bent on obtaining Mortals, something they probably aren't very used to on the plane.

So, it could be very possible that the souls trapped here before the arrival may not have the greatest opinion of the mortals, seeing them (rightfully) as the reason for their current Demon infestation.
    Yeah, I like it, hostility from the damned.

Also, would the dead leave the plane, or appear as spirits back in hell? If they stay on the plane after death regardless of belief or actions, some of the population may start living like Caligula at a Frat party when they realize nothing they do will save them from Hell.
    So they know they're already going to/in hell, so they have no incentive to be moral. Cool stuff.

Ok, now I'm definitely going to bed
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Right, looking at that summary, it seems interesting. But it doesn't really seem to have much other than there being dead word leaders ruling factions (which is pretty cool), there doesn't seem to be much that could link in with this. Now, I'm sure the books themselves do have things which could link, but I don't know the books and I've only read the summary. If you want, you can work out some ideas based on the content of those books.
    I'm mostly just throwing it out as an example of something somebody might want to read on the subject, as it does have people who find themselves in Hell, some of who don't even know what the place is, as it's outside their paradigm.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, maybe phasma is the proper name and it gets shortened to Phas? I knida' like it. I think it shoul also have a couple street names, so maybe something like Spike (from the spike of emotion you get)?
    I like that, their could even be street names for each emotion, and the people that use them, something like Spikers in general, and more defined names for someone who uses one above all else?

The idea was more that they knew that it was demon lords giving them power, but they don't care any more, they just want that divine power that was severed from them, like an addiction. I like the idea of divine magic being like a drug in and of itself, and all the clerics, no matter how good, are addicted, and the demon lords are the only way they can get it.
    I like it, people have gotten so used to the power being handed to them, that they'll do anything, including servitude to a Demonlord, to get that power back. It deviates from the high and mighty cleric with a cause, and comes back down to the power corrupts aspect of society.

Now what about the average populace, would they be ignorant of that fact. This could be a way to keep them in line, saying "Our gods have not abandoned us, they tell me that this is a test of our faith. If we hold true to the cause, we will be freed from this place, I promise you, it has been decreed by the most Holy."

Yeah, I like it, hostility from the damned.
    I'm thinking that the same people "hunting demons in human skin", the Witch Hunters, or another group could try to spin the whole story and attempt to make the damned think they are here to save them.

All I can picture is a Missionary from the "Insert Organization Name Here" entering an area of lost souls. "I'm here to save you from damnation! Repent your sins, and I'll offer forgiveness" holding up a holy symbol for all to see.
    Soon more souls begin circling the priest as a single soul steps forward with a smile "Repent my sins...what then continue to suffer here, but with a shiny clean soul? There is no leaving here human, even after death you are trapped. You should remember that, because once we're done with this shell, you'll still be with us, forever."
    All that can be heard is screams and prayers as the souls converge on the priest.

So they know they're already going to/in hell, so they have no incentive to be moral. Cool stuff.
    Exactly, most people were afraid to go to hell for their actions...so what happens now that they're there. Hope of salvation may still keep some in line, but not everyone is gonna fall for it this time.

I think I might have two city ideas, i'm working on them now. The first is the city in flux, the half-ghosts. I want to get that fleshed out a little more before I post anything big.

The second is a true pit of paranoia. I'm picturing a dystopian city that has cut themselves off from everyone. They are under constant surveillance, scheduled patrols, some type of detection system to even get into the city, let alone public buildings. Any foreign contact is so rare anymore that the few visitors are required to be under military supervision at ALL times. Magical ID's that are required for everything. Nothing is private, the ruler sits in what is basically a panic room while the demon lords, who already have spies in the city leave it to it's own ends. They gain enjoyment out of seeing the city rip itself apart through fear, from the inside out. It would basically be a large scale demonic sociological test to see how mortals react to the unknown.

Peace,
    Pyre
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-19 at 08:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I like that, their could even be street names for each emotion, and the people that use them, something like Spikers in general, and more defined names for someone who uses one above all else?
    Yeah, we'll have to think about some of the effects of Phasma, maybe stat it up as a poison of some kind? Speaking of which, how will it be taken?

I like it, people have gotten so used to the power being handed to them, that they'll do anything, including servitude to a Demonlord, to get that power back. It deviates from the high and mighty cleric with a cause, and comes back down to the power corrupts aspect of society.

Now what about the average populace, would they be ignorant of that fact. This could be a way to keep them in line, saying "Our gods have not abandoned us, they tell me that this is a test of our faith. If we hold true to the cause, we will be freed from this place, I promise you, it has been decreed by the most Holy."
    Yeah this is good.

I'm thinking that the same people "hunting demons in human skin", the Witch Hunters, or another group could try to spin the whole story and attempt to make the damned think they are here to save them.

All I can picture is a Missionary from the "Insert Organization Name Here" entering an area of lost souls. "I'm here to save you from damnation! Repent your sins, and I'll offer forgiveness" holding up a holy symbol for all to see.
    Soon more souls begin circling the priest as a single soul steps forward with a smile "Repent my sins...what then continue to suffer here, but with a shiny clean soul? There is no leaving here human, even after death you are trapped. You should remember that, because once we're done with this shell, you'll still be with us, forever."
    All that can be heard is screams and prayers as the souls converge on the priest.

Exactly, most people were afraid to go to hell for their actions...so what happens now that they're there. Hope of salvation may still keep some in line, but not everyone is gonna fall for it this time.
    Mmm, some might stay moral out of sheer compassion and virtue anyway, but everyone knows that compassion is for the weak and those who believe in it shall be thrown to the Children of Limbo (possible name for the limbo dudes)

I think I might have two city ideas, i'm working on them now. The first is the city in flux, the half-ghosts. I want to get that fleshed out a little more before I post anything big.

The second is a true pit of paranoia. I'm picturing a dystopian city that has cut themselves off from everyone. They are under constant surveillance, scheduled patrols, some type of detection system to even get into the city, let alone public buildings. Any foreign contact is so rare anymore that the few visitors are required to be under military supervision at ALL times. Magical ID's that are required for everything. Nothing is private, the ruler sits in what is basically a panic room while the demon lords, who already have spies in the city leave it to it's own ends. They gain enjoyment out of seeing the city rip itself apart through fear, from the inside out. It would basically be a large scale demonic sociological test to see how mortals react to the unknown.

Peace,
    Pyre
    Sounding good, I've got a couple of ideas of my own that I'll write up.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, we'll have to think about some of the effects of Phasma, maybe stat it up as a poison of some kind? Speaking of which, how will it be taken?
    Yeah, poison stats should work, I think there are drug rules somewhere, but it's just poison with an addiction DC i believe. As to how to take it...hmmm maybe multiple ways depending on dose. Something liquid to drink for a buzz effect, I'm kind of leaning towards Injections for major dosage, Demons creating small bug/leech creatures that feed on the drug then you place them on your skin to let it release the Phasma into your system all day, or for a few hours. I think having a bug latched onto your arm would give it the visual feel of "We're not in Kansas anymore"

Would we want to make a base stat for the basic drug, then make additional stats for specific emotions, with different effects based on the fact that it's a concentration of a single emotion, and not a mix of them all?

Haha, that's what I was going for

Mmm, some might stay moral out of sheer compassion and virtue anyway, but everyone knows that compassion is for the weak and those who believe in it shall be thrown to the Children of Limbo (possible name for the limbo dudes)
    I like it, Children of Limbo has a very good ring to it

Sounding good, I've got a couple of ideas of my own that I'll write up.
    Sounds good

18. - Top - End - #18

Yeah, poison stats should work, I think there are drug rules somewhere, but it's just poison with an addiction DC i believe. As to how to take it...hmmm maybe multiple ways depending on dose. Something liquid to drink for a buzz effect, I'm kind of leaning towards Injections for major dosage, Demons creating small bug/leech creatures that feed on the drug then you place them on your skin to let it release the Phasma into your system all day, or for a few hours. I think having a bug latched onto your arm would give it the visual feel of "We're not in Kansas anymore"
    Ooh, blood leech symbiote? I like it.

Would we want to make a base stat for the basic drug, then make additional stats for specific emotions, with different effects based on the fact that it's a concentration of a single emotion, and not a mix of them all?
    Probably go for it as one drug but then add effects that only apply to specific emotions.

Also, an idea I had about addicted people. How about, some of them try to quit, and succeed... in a way. But their bodies still need these heightened emotions, so they actively try and do anything they can to replicate the emotions, including guilt, sorrow, anger and hate etc., naturally, this will lead to serial killings and people trying to sabotage their own lives to get a high out of being miserable.

I like it, Children of Limbo has a very good ring to it
    It's settled then, Children of Limbo are the ones who tear apart preachers for their nom's
    Last edited by IcarusWings; 2010-10-20 at 11:36 AM.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ooh, blood leech symbiote? I like it.
    Alright, so we now have a delivery system.

Probably go for it as one drug but then add effects that only apply to specific emotions.
    Sounds good, any idea how addictive we want it to be?

Also, an idea I had about addicted people. How about, some of them try to quit, and succeed... in a way. But their bodies still need these heightened emotions, so they actively try and do anything they can to replicate the emotions, including guilt, sorrow, anger and hate etc., naturally, this will lead to serial killings and people trying to sabotage their own lives to get a high out of being miserable.
    That sounds perfect, mirrors real life adrenaline junkies that go out of their way to find exciting and dangerous situations.

It's settled then, Children of Limbo are the ones who tear apart preachers for their nom's
    So, we have a few things so far:
    Spoiler
    Show

Phasma/Phas - A drug harvested from mortal emotions. Used by demons for recreation and to sedate those below them. Began being used by mortals for a quick thrill, but soon became an addictive epidemic. Injected through the skin by Demonic Blood Leech applicators.

Children of Limbo - Militant organization of damned souls who actively oppose the mortals, viewing them as much an enemy as the Demons themselves.

???Name Needed??? - Mortal religious sect that is involved in Inquisition and Witch Hunt type activities. Whether they truly want to rid mortal lands of Demons or not is still unclear.

Demonic drug dealers

Paranoia and fear are major elements of mortal life. As well as the choice to live ethically even though you're already in hell.

Something I was wondering about the clerics gaining power from the demons. I know we've been bringing up the darker side of human nature being exploited through life in hell, so I was thinking:
    Maybe the witch hunts and all that could be part of the clerics plan to get rid of anyone with knowledge of their true power source. Claiming their enemies are demons or in league with demons would allow paranoia to effectively remove the thorn from their side. Throw in some ethical and honest witch hunters and it could really make the PC's worry about who to trust, are these guys helping, or hired goons from the priest I just made mad?

I might not be on tomorrow to post, but I'll try to write up some things and post when I can.

Peace,
    Pyre

*Edit* One more thing before I log out. The Children of Limbo, I'm thinking that the main group actively opposes the mortals because they brought the demons. However, maybe an offshoot group that became addicted to the fear in their victims and no longer seek out humans just for revenge, but for the thrill of the feast?
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-20 at 05:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Forgive me for asking this, but why did the mages send everyone to HELL?!? If you can open a portal to an outer plane to save everyone, why not go to heaven? Or a fairly neutral plane?

The concept is cool, but that's going to need some explaining.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps they initially sent out a reconnaissance ship?
    The ship came back, but the mages had no idea where it had been...
    Perhaps this ship had something to do with it? Infected with a malevolent spirit, it sought to return to its plane of origin.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Forgive me for asking this, but why did the mages send everyone to HELL?!? If you can open a portal to an outer plane to save everyone, why not go to heaven? Or a fairly neutral plane?

The concept is cool, but that's going to need some explaining.
    The idea was that the links to the outer planes were severing one-by-one, and by the time the mages had reached the end of the ritual, hell was the only place left. Should probably clarify that in the OP.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's possible that
    1) They were in such a hurry that they figured they could change locations after escaping, thinking that they were headed to a bleak plane, not necessarily hell. Since the first level of Dante's Hell is just kind of dull, not really most peoples view of hell.

or, my choice for most likely
    2) Whatever catastrophe lead to the destruction of the material plane also twisted and distorted the spells used to save mortals, sending them to random planes of existence. For all we know their could be similar situations going on throughout the multiverse as random cities emerge into foreign and alien environments.

But that's really what this thread is about, come up with a premise, find questions, answer them.

Hope some of those ideas might give a feasible reason for their arrival.

Peace,
    Pyre

EDIT

The idea was that the links to the outer planes were severing one-by-one, and by the time the mages had reached the end of the ritual, hell was the only place left. Should probably clarify that in the OP.
    That makes sense, also ties up the reason they can't escape. This could also lead to many adventures attempting to find a way to reconnect the planes.
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-21 at 12:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Ideas:

Since this is the afterlife then whenever a human (or mortal) dies then their spirit is reborn in Hell. These reborn spirits can become a variety of things like The Dammed (basically like what they were in life but they don't age, can heal from repeated injuries, and are very sensitive to pain and fear... they literally never get used to pain), the can become Demons (demons all used to be humans but changed through a combination of magic and being sociopaths), or they can be harvested for magical energy or whatnot.

I imagine that each 'reborn soul' first starts out as a sort of cocoon or egg or something that appears randomly in Hell and eventually grows up into a Demon or a Dammed. If someone finds it first then they can use magic to change what the unborn soul grows into. A large part of the Demon 'economy' consists of gathering reborn souls and bringing them to demon lords who then use magic to make the reborn soul grow up into a demon loyal to the lord.

The thing is that ever since the catastrophe then reborn souls haven't been coming in from the Prime Material Plane (or anywhere else) nobody is sure what might be happening on other planes but for now the only source of new reborn souls is when mortal in Hell die. The number of demons has been falling slowly (demons might die permanently undr normal circumstances but up until now they just replaced their fallen with new reborn souls) due to the lower number of humans. So demon lords might be trying to kill humans to harvest their souls... or others might try working with humans and running breeding programs to ensure that humans flourish enough to make plenty of reborn souls when they die.

Meanwhile the Dammed who are basically human have been enslaved by demons for ages and are willing to go to the humans to help them out. A human who dies and has their reborn soul mature naturally becomes another Dammed. The Demon lords just like using Dammed as slaves and don't like the idea of humans and Dammed forming their own society (though there may be a few demon lords who claim not to dislike the idea).

So the various factions of Hell could include the various humans sent there, the Dammed who are basically semi-immortal humans who can't stand pain and have been enslaved for eons, and the various Demons who are powerful creatures who need to harvest human souls to reproduce.

The various demons might once have been humans in life.. but keep in mind that up until a few centuries ago in our world then military might, racism, and brute force have been pretty much par the course. The guys at the top are probably hundreds or thousands of years old which means that they were probably alive when Genghis Khan was carving a bloody swath across the known world, the Romans were genociding any troublesome tribes that caused problems, or the various prehistorical cavemen who killed their enemies and ate their hearts.

They've gotten on top of the heap by virtue of having been born centuries before anyone else got the idea that declaring yourself to be a god and brutally torturing and murdering nonbelievers would be a bad thing. They've stayed on top of the heap by crushing anyone who would oppose them and only incorporating new blood into their ranks if the new guys had better ways of putting soul-crushing terror into anyone who would think of opposing them.

There might be some demon clans dedicated to hedonism or whatnot (demons can't have children and they probably don't need ot eat but they do enjoy sex, drugs, fine food, and rock and roll) but anyone with the capacity to set up hedonism camps absolutely needs a military force capable of keeping away the more violence themed demons.

The humans who materialized in Hell would have all been swamped by the violent demons immediatly as a matter of course if it wasn't for the mages on the human side (seriously, if they were able to cast a spell powerful enough to bring a decent number of humans into Hell then they are powerful). The human mages might have set up some wards and barriers to protect human settlements from the demons and bought some time but eventually the mages will die and or the demons will find a way to get past the barriers.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Ideas:
    I like this, so i think we've come to the conclusion that mortals are reborn in hell after they die. If we decide to go with these, which I do like the ideas, we've got the two groups main groups of damned, those that seek the help of mortals, and the Children of Limbo that seek to remove the mortal "infestation" in hopes of focusing the demonic threat onto them.

I like the idea of the damned souls becoming demons, that would cut out the need for the standard demons and devils allowing for us to make new fluff to help with the plane.

If we go with the stages of development for damned souls, I can see various factions fighting endlessly for the recently damned souls. Mortals seeking more forces to fight the demons, the Children of Limbo seeking them out to torture for eternity, and Demons hoping to harvest them for cannon fodder and cattle.

So I think we're definitely starting to get a lot of ideas, and I'm glad these ideas are meshing together very well.

I think before we get too far ahead of ourselves we need to figure out the exact style of hell. So far IcarusWings and I have been going on the basic assumption of Dante's levels of Hell. I like this idea, but I'm leaning towards a semi-flat plane, with various territories, this would allow for the areas of Dante's Inferno, and still allowing for areas of our own creation without messing with the fluff of the Inferno.

Peace,
    Pyre

26. - Top - End - #26

The Damned are good, but I personally am not fond of souls becoming demons, just cos' it removes some of the demons' detatchment from mortals if they were mortals before. It's not my call however, so if the majority of people think that they should then they will.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmm lets see...

When a damned is "born" into hell they remember little to nothing of their life before, many factions abuse this effect by molding the newly damned however they like.

Before the planar connections were severed, many souls entered hell, none knowing who or what they had been before hand. The most vile and ambitious of these soon took advantage of their surroundings to gain power over the other souls. These Demons as they soon became known grew in power and soon lost any semblance of their former lives, mentally and physically. Now no one knows their origins, some say they don't even know, all that is known is that their power is real.

In the early ages of Hell many sought the same power as the progenitors, but never achieved the same effect, soon the difference in power became apparent as the originators took on the title of Demon lords, while the imposters became the average demonic forces roaming hell.

It didn't take long for younger demons to seek to repopulate their ranks in hopes of overthrowing their "lords", but soon they realized their transformation had taken from them the ability to reproduce. Through vile and ancient magics they sought to bypass this. At first mortal souls were corrupted in ways that changed them, and armies amassed under various nobles.

The project was a failure however, the mortal souls retained their need for independence, and fought their makers on the field of battle, ignoring their orders. It became apparent that the souls were useless as pawns, and hope began to fade.

Unknown to the demons, the Demon Lords were watching their childrens failed efforts and sought to pacify their anger through knowledge. They gifted them with the knowledge of using souls to power their magic. With the teachings the demons began to perfect the art of destroying souls to create demons, void of emotion and personality. A new breed that could be made into anything they wanted.

With this, the Demon Lords will remain a mystery as to their origins, and with no connection to the other planes, it would allow the Demon Lords to be fleshed out, but leave their previous lives up to each DM to choose if they truly wanted to release that information.

Souls are harvested as fuel for the demonic forges, pumping out foot soldiers to do their masters bidding, allowing forces to be replenished even without reproduction. This would also explain why the Children of Limbo hate the humans, the Demon lords needed to limit the souls they took before the catastrophe, only taking what they needed. Now that their are mortals in the realm, they seek to enslave them for Phasma, and the fact that they are a replenishing fuel source. Just make more mortals when you need to.

Phasma now has a meaning for demons, as they are born emotionless, they easily become addicted to the new and exotic sensation they receive from emotions.

Just some thoughts...trying to take everything people are putting forward and meshing them together. I hope I kept the ideas you guys were putting forward and mixed them together ok.

Some more ideas I've got
    Spoiler
    Show

The Black Blood Citadel
    The Black Bloods were originally a group of exorcists working for a major religion. They wandered the world banishing evil beings, seeking to bring peace to the lands of man. After the catastrophe they found that every creature they banished now stayed close to home.

Most exorcists died within months as demons they had fought quickly returned to destroy the weakened exorcists. As their numbers shrank they sought a solution to their problems. Eventually they realized that power in this land came from the souls of mortals.

Then the unthinkable happened, a leading Exorcist began feeding on the souls of the damned, gaining the power to utterly destroy his enemies, no longer worrying about banishing. He feared retribution for his actions, but was pleasantly surprised when many came to him hoping to learn his ways. They were willing to pay the price needed to avenge their fallen comrades.

The Black Bloods take their name from the corruption in their veins. Feeding on souls leaves the mortals blood black as night and poisonous to the being. With the power in their hands they lead a crusade against Demons, seeking to reshape hell into a true home for the mortals stranded their.

Notes: The corruption in their veins sickens the exorcists, while they gain immense power, that power also destroys their body. Taking on lesser demons at high levels would be nothing, but the more difficult the opponent, the more strain on the body. Veteran exorcist would be warped and fragile beings with visibly black veins and an aura of frigid air around them. (whatever you have to do to save lives I guess )

Influences:
    Supernatural and drinking demons blood brought about the feeding on souls for power.

Malus Darkblade Chronicles (Warhammer) brought about the idea of black blood. In the story, using a possessing demons power corrupts your very essence, changing your blood to a icy cold black sludge.

Peace,
    Pyre

Edit, this also allows the Demon lords, and the original lesser demons to act outside of PC race context because they are ancient, most were probably born into hell long before species we know even existed, they are primal and vile, living off of instincts and urges. Giving the lesser Demons the ability to create more demons was an attempt to keep each faction at each others throats, since no single group got the knowledge, they began to worry about each other and not the Demon Lords
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-21 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The Damned are good, but I personally am not fond of souls becoming demons, just cos' it removes some of the demons' detatchment from mortals if they were mortals before. It's not my call however, so if the majority of people think that they should then they will.

I know it could go either way, perhaps the demons are kind of like Undead in that their personalities aren't necessarily the same as the humans they were created from. Maybe the demon creation process simply strips away the 'good' part of the soul and leaves the evil part where it can grow into a monstrous creature. Theoretically an opposite process might turn human souls into angels or something. The thing is that the soul is irreperably damaged or destroyed in the process of creating a demon. Other bits of reborn soul surgery might result in monsters or devils or whatever, each process explicitly removes some part of the human soul so that it is reborn into something inhuman.

Or maybe they eat humans as a form of nourishment to gain power or something. But I like the idea that demons actualy need humans around in order to make more demons.

The eternal torture of humans in Hell wouldn't necessarily be any form of punishment, its just how demon societies tend to get people to work. More civilized demon (or devil) societies use money or enthrallment or whatever.

As for what Hell looks like... I'd go with a semi-flat plane with a constantly cloudy sky that is always shining (the sun never sets and nobody knows if there even is a sun). Maybe the plane itself is a hollow sphere or a cylinder... there could be lakes of fire all over the place which radiate heat upward and shine down on land that is a different part of Hell. So if you look up and can magically see past the clouds then you'll see that the sky is in fact another part of Hell and if you walk far enough in one direction then you'll go around and eventually end up there.

Or, there could be different layers of Hell that are connected somehow. Thre could be a fiery region of Hell that shines down on the rest, a semi-normal part of hell where plants grow (and provide oxygen for everyone), an oceanic or marsh-filled layer of hell, and finally a frozen layer of hell that sucks up all the excess heat generated by the other parts.

Basically, Hell is a self-contained plane with no sun or sky movement between parts is possible. It can be very unpleasant for people (frequent volcanic eruptions or the like) but its not inherently evil. Its poor condition is simply the result of people being jerks to eachother.

Actually... maybe Hell is a composit of bits of other planes? The Prime Material plane was the center of the universe, the various other planes had their special alignments and elements to balance the universe... and Hell is a sort of cosmic trash bin where unused pieces go. Souls of the dead (who don't belong in the world) fall through the cracks and end up in Hell. Objects that are disintegrated or fall through into the etherial or astral planes simply washu up in Hell after a while. There could be cosmic disasters where islands or cities or bits of mechnus are broken off and all those bits and pieces end up in Hell.

So, the fire in hell is the result of bits of the elemental plane of fire ending up there and maybe coalesing into their own part of the plane. Fields of ice are from the plane of cold, warriors and fallen weapons are from the eternal battlefield and so on and so forth. The different Layers of Hell could be bits of other planes that somehow came loose and washed up in Hell and sort of naturally navigated together

Perhaps even after the cataclysm then chunks of the prime material plane will start showing up in Hell... like castles or the like (though many of them would just be random rocks that fall like meteores).

Hell is basically a big garbage heap where the inhabitants have to dodge the incoming trash, scurry through the leavings, and fight eachother in the process. Or, they can band together and use the resources of Hell to their advantage.

Maybe it was easier to end up in Hell because of the natural flow of the universe, and the reason that alot of weapons and stuff in Hell look beaten up and rusty is because they are actually junk that fell from other planes and ended up in Hell. The Dammed slaves are mostly set to work scroungin through stuff that recently appeared to get anything interesting fro their demon masters. Monsters might show up, but the majority of them are origionally from other planes that washed up here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Or maybe they eat humans as a form of nourishment to gain power or something. But I like the idea that demons actualy need humans around in order to make more demons.
    This is definitely a must, without a need for humans, their would be no reason for them to just wipe them off the face of hell and harvest their souls.

Hell is basically a big garbage heap where the inhabitants have to dodge the incoming trash, scurry through the leavings, and fight eachother in the process. Or, they can band together and use the resources of Hell to their advantage.

Maybe it was easier to end up in Hell because of the natural flow of the universe, and the reason that alot of weapons and stuff in Hell look beaten up and rusty is because they are actually junk that fell from other planes and ended up in Hell. The Dammed slaves are mostly set to work scroungin through stuff that recently appeared to get anything interesting fro their demon masters. Monsters might show up, but the majority of them are origionally from other planes that washed up here.
    I really like this, it allows for various environments, and such. Hell is basically the place where that missing sock goes after disappearing from the dryer

Peace,
    Pyre

As for the source of demons, how about multiple varieties.

The Originators: The first, the Demon Lords and the most powerful of the original lesser demons. These are the ancient primal spirits that first gained true power in hell.

The Spawn: Demons created through the destruction of souls, used to fuel the Spawning Forges. Emotionless beings with a need for an imprinted personality. The basic rank and file of Demonic hierarchy.

The Corrupted: Souls and mortals that sought power and became corrupted by it. The level of corruption can have an influence on how much of their original personality remains. These beings are usually unaffiliated with the demonic social structure and seek to create their own place in hell at any means.

This gives us Non-mortal influenced demons, mortal influenced demons, and soul crafted demons.
    Last edited by Pyre_Born; 2010-10-21 at 06:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, about the emotion related drugs: The Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds have Distilled Joy (Ambrosia) and Liquid Pain (Agony) which are drugs magically extracted from people.

Liquid Pain is a 4th level spell with a casting time of 24 hours that extracts one dose of Agony from a person in great pain. The resulting dose is highly addictive, can be sold for around 200 gp, and alternatly can be used in the creation of magic item by providing 3xp for item crafting.

Distilled Joy is a 3rd level spell that also has a 24 hour casting time and gets one dose of Ambrosia from a person experiencing great pleasure. A dose can be sold for 200 gp or provide 2xp for magic item creation.

(I've always wanted to find a way to use this to make unlimited Distilled Joy and get plenty of crafting XP but the spells are difficult to cheese out too much on a finite budget).

It should be noted that in the Book of Vile Darkness there is a Nipple Clamp of Masochism that converts pain into pleasure, so one could torture a person to induse pleasure for the Distilled Joy spell. A crafting guide I found online suggested using a permanant Symbol of Pain and the nipple clamp things to make a pleasure inducing device and get a bunch of people in there for the ambrosia extraction.

However, Vile Darkness also has magic items which automatically can extract liquid pain from people. So Liquid Pain is likely going to be much easier to extract from people despite the spell being a higher level (though to be honest the 24 hour casting time means that if you're a spellcaster casting it then you're doing it wrong).

Anyone with the Distilled Joy or Liquid Pain spells on hand would likely have a huge factory set up torturing people to extract Liquid Pain... and if they are feeling generous (yeah right) the they might also set up a Distilled Joy factory. I'm thinking Distilled Joy would be a novelty for people in hell... any junkie can get hooked on pain, but joy is much rarer in Hell.

Though, due to its ability to provide crafting xp then there might be humans setting up their own factories to extract the stuff ideally to create magic items (like healing belts). But since the drugs are addictive and valuable to demons then a fair percentage of them would sell it to gain power over the demons.

Also, there could be masochists who gain pleasure from being tortured. They might enjoy having their emotions extracted (some might provide liquid pain when tortured but enjoy the experience afterwards while others actually produce distilled joy when tortured... those last ones are considered pretty messed up by both human and demonic standards but are pretty nice to have if you're making emotion drugs). It should be noted that the Nipple Clamps of Masochism from Vile Darkness say they convert pain to pleasure... so the wearer should be immune to the debilitating effects of pain inducing spells and still experience pleasure from normal sources.

I'd totally play an adventurer with one of those clamps explicitly to rationalize how getting repeatedly stabbed in combat doesn't scare me away from adventuring.

Oh, and how would undead behave in Hell? I mean that a Lich goes through a whole mess of trouble to make a phylactery to keep his soul from going to Hell... but if he's already in Hell then wouldn't that make the phylactory making process much easier to carry out?

Maybe there is a group of necromancers who are examining the effects that Hell has on necromancy spells and have devised some new rituals that let them turn people into mini-liches. They each get phylacteries so they can regenerate if they are slain, but they don't have to be high-level to do it and the effect only works if they are in Hell (which they all are anyway).

Also, creating an apocolypse of wights or shadows might seem like a totally good idea if they are sent out to exterminate the Demons.

And as for people having no moral incentive to be good now that they are all in Hell... what if they are atheists? Okay, alot of arcane casters might know that the gods exist but they just don't think they need to worship them (or worship them that much... they pay lip service and all that but its more a case of being nice to the powerful guy then actually beliveing they need to be revered). There could be people who say "Okay, we're in a bit fiery place where nasty looking monsters want to enslave us and dead people come back to life in different bodies... lets build some fortifications and stick together."

Atheists don't really care if they are in Hell or not... wherever they are is where they are and being nice to people is just what they will have to do. Hell isn't an inherently evil place, its the people that are in it who are jerks. Now that dead people are reborn in Hell and within reach then it becomes their imperetive to seek out the souls of the freshly dead and rescue them (and put them to work on their team).

Some Factions:

Literals - A pre-cataclysm religion that revers science, arcane magic, and logic. Followers of Literalism would meet up in houses of learning (basically temples that doubled as libraries or schools) and would read books and learn about logic, rational thought, and occasionally craft and healing skills. They do not depend on the judgement of the Gods but instead on magic and technology created by humans and other intelligent races. They are taught that deep down the universe is unfair ("You can be the nicest person in the world but a sword will hurt if you don't dodge it") but with proper preperation and cooperation then everyone can improve themselves and prosper.

After the cataclysm, the Literals found themselves in Hell along with everyone else but weren't so much concerned with what would happen to their immortal souls as what would happen to their mortal ones if the demons killed them. They generally stick to human controlled areas and gather and spread knowledge on medicine or arcane magic. Now that there is danger of demon attack they also teach their members combat skills and how to survive in Hell.

One disadvantage is that very few of them can use divine magic. Literals as a rule don't worship dieties (they don't forbid it, its just that belief in the works of mankind tend to clash with the faith in gods that is often necessary to channel divine magic) and very few of them can juggle their belief systems to the extent necessary to make contact with a divine being. There are some clerics (or wizards with the Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine) among their ranks who are quite welcomed but overall the Literal belief system doesn't lend itself to diving casters.

This has made them a somewhat persecuted religion in the Prime Material plane and even in Hell since other religions can provide instant healing magic to their followers. Literals generally require their followers to learn skills needed to help out their fellow man and help their followers in mundane or use arcane magic when possible.

Communities of Primarily Literal inhabitants rarely get riled up in witch hunts since they are constantly reminded that only a fair trial can provide the evidence needed to prove if someone is actually a demon in disguise. Other religions tend to think of them as pansies or even demon worshipers or the like... complely missing the point that Literals don't worship anyone.

Fort Eternity- A huge human military fortress that was sent into Hell along with its soldiers and supplies. They were amazingly able to hold off the initial waves of demons who attacked before things settled down. It has since grown into a human community where all its inhabitants are put in the army and receive military training.

Women are put in the army and taught how to fight but are usually tasked with 'repopulating the human race' and are basically paid to have and raise children. Marriage in Fort Eternity is basically nonexistant. Women are told to have sex with men primarily to get pregnant (they choose their mate for the night as they wish, usually choosing ones who are particulary strong or good in combat) same sex relations are allowed to help keep everyone sane in this world.

Military men in Fort Eternity are repeatedly hyped up and taught to be even more merciless in battle then the Demons are. Demons might want to kill, torture, or eat your emotions... Fort Eternity soldiers will just kill you. They have improved the fortifications around their city and make regular strikes into the surrounding area to wipe out any monsters or liberate anyone who is in danger.

Military men are the upper class of society and are shown the respect they deserve, if you're not a soldier then you're either doing something to help the soldiers out or you're some jerk who's wasting space. Captives who have been liberated from Demon control are quickly put to work for Fort Eternity, generally in farming or some other menial task unless they show skill in some area. The main difference between soldiers in Fort Eternity and Demons is that the soldiers aren't a bunch of emotion junkies and are totally fine with you feeling comfortable as long as you do your dammed job.

The military is generally always recruiting and people normally stuck with menial jobs can attempt to join the military to climb the social ladder (women can get into the military easily at which point they are put on re-population duty). Since the souls of the dead are reborn in Hell then the military regularly scours the land for the freshly reborn so that they might be able to reclaim their dead and keep their ranks as full as possible.

The Morlocks-

A settlement with a high dwarven population who immediately dug themselves into a mountainside and set up traps to defend against demonic invaders. They have since been expanding their tunnels far and wide and poking up secret entrances into the surface.

Their tunnels are designed to be near impenetrable with twists, turns, traps and terrors built into them to defend against invaders while letting the inhabitants move freely. The Morlocks as they call themselves are made up of dwarves, humans, and any other intelligent beings willing who prove themselves loyal to them (kobolds, goblins, and others are frequntly there united in their hatred for the demons). They have industrial facilities set up underground and have food supplies (based on old dwarven techniques) but make the occasional raid on the surface to get supplies from demon cities or to rescue people.

However, due to Hells unstable nature there are semi-frequent tunnel collapses which cut off the various sections of the Morlock tunnels. As a result, instead of having one huge network of tunnels that they would like then it frequently turns into a bunch of individual 'dungeons' with people trying to reconnect the tunnels while dealing with encroachments from the surface.

The Lambs of Blissful Agony
    Not exactly a cult but its definatly an odd organization... make that 'biggest bunch of deviants in the multiverse'. The Lambs learned about the demons demand for emotion drugs, learned how the process works, and set up their own system to perform the extraction.

Made up primarily of sadomasochists, members of the Lambs willingly let themselves be emotion-extracted under safe, sane, and consensual conditions and the resulting drugs are then put to 'ethical use'. There are numerous branches of the Lambs organization and the people in charge have varying degrees of niceness but they are generally pro-human in nature.

The Lambs took their name from the concept of a sacrificial lamb being sacrificed for the benefit of others. In most cases the Lambs use the extracted Phasma (or emotion stuff) to bribe demons to leave other humans alone, although they might use it to power magic for the benefit of humans or even sell it for cash. If sold for cash then the person being extracted gets their share of the money and the rest goes toward maintaining the Lambs organization or charity (the exact distribution varies).

In some places, the Lambs are seen as a force of good who willingly sacrifice their own well being for the sake of others, in other places they are seen as junkies who are selling their bodies for money, and in others they are seen as a corrupting influence luring innocents into a life of sin where they will be reduced to cattle producing drugs for the demons.

There has been a 'Shorn Lamb' lifestyle/fashion starting up among the youth who dress up in provocative or even painful clothing to show their willingness to be emotion extracted (or maybe they just like the fashion?) and from complex master/slave relationships to maximize the drug production and their own enjoyment of the process. Actual members of the Lambs of Blissful Agony who go for the Shorn Lamb lifestyle can be fairly wealthy compared to other humans due to their production of the emotion and being part of an organization that gives them a good share of the profits.

Rumors have it that some of the members of the Lambs are actually succubi (as opposed to humans who dress surprisingly similar to how a succubi would look) and are using demonic powers to dominate innocent people into joining the Lambs. Even nastier rumors have it that some members of the Lambs willingly have themselves killed so that their souls can be harvested for demonic purposes... including being reformed into a succubi demon.

True Lords of Death
    An organization of human necromancers who have been studying the effects of Hell on necromantic magic. It turns out that being in hell and the destruction of the Prime Material Plane has tweaked things a bit to allow for new and different types of necromantic magic.

Some are researching the various soul magics the demons use, trying to develop their own versions and perhaps discovering weaknesses in the demons construction.

Others are seeking ways to achieve immortality. Even though they are in Hell and their souls get reborn they have to worry about demons harvesting their souls. Thus, they've developed spells and rituals that control where a persons soul is reborn. They often build secure rooms where their soul is bound so that in the event of death they will be reborn there instead of somewhere that a demon could get them.

Others are opting to become Liches or similar intelligent undead. Being reborn is risky even if they do have ways of controlling the process. Better to rebuild ones body into a stronger one and protect ones soul from anything than to risk getting used up by a demon.

And finally, the necromancers work on powerful weapons of necromantic destruction to defeat the demons. Spawning undead who will target demons, diseases that target demons, special undead or constructs designed to be devestatingly effective in combat... etc.

The True Lords of Death plan to remake Hell to their liking. The Demons have had their fun and now that the Prime Material Plane is gone then it is time for humanity to make a new home by destroying the demonic presence here and establishing themselves as the true masters!

And...

The Prisoners

Hell is a prison, but there is always a way to escape. Planeshifting magic was able to bring people into Hell to save them from the cataclysm and Planeshifting magic can get them out. The Prisoners know that Hell is a bad place and that staying here would put them in the middle of a warzone, they intend to escape the hostilities however they can.

Perhaps use divination and planeshift magic to scour the planes to see if there is any way to get out. Research new and more powerful spells if need be.

Create their own demiplane with Genesis and escape that way. Even if their new plane is small at first they can use magic to expand it and at least have a safe sanctum.

Locate some place in Hell where the demons can't reach. Maybe join the Morlocks and dig tunnels, or create powerful warding spells that prevent demons from entering their cities.

Or at the very least, try to determine what happens to souls the 'die' here. For ages people thought that death was permanant on the Prime Material Plane but magic proved them wrong. Perhaps there is some other place that souls go to if they die in Hell.