New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default mindrape question

hey mates,
    i'm making a psionic version of mindrape and i was wondering if there was a clarification on the "you learn everything the subject knows" would this include a sorc casting it gaining the spells known of his target? or would the psion be able to learn powers from his target?
    obviously its mostly a DM call, but is there anything pointing one way or another?
    "He who would count the teeth of the dragon must accept a degree of risk"
    Vince Arkady in Sea Strike by James Cobb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: mindrape question

RAW... you might. It's rough. I wouldn't allow it; or rather, I'd probably go with "you know how it is done, you don't know how to do it." They know the motions, words, and thoughts, but lack the practice to actually do it, thus necessitating a high Spellcraft check for every cast. Similar with languages, you can understand them and can probably read them (a little slowly), but lacking the muscle memory of speaking them means that while you are fluent, you have a rather severe speech impediment until actually putting the ranks in.

I'd rewrite it to "you learn everything the person knows, so that you can tinker, but once the spell is completed, precise technical knowledge is lost to general concepts, though knowledge of events remains."
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Yeah, I wouldn't allow them to learn additional spells/powers this way. I would grant them a pretty sizable circumstance bonus to successfully researching such as spell/power, or a spell/power based on the same principles.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alisbin View Post
    hey mates,
    i'm making a psionic version of mindrape and i was wondering if there was a clarification on the "you learn everything the subject knows" would this include a sorc casting it gaining the spells known of his target? or would the psion be able to learn powers from his target?
    obviously its mostly a DM call, but is there anything pointing one way or another?
    You can obviously browse through all subject's memories. As for the spells: sorcerers have a fixed number of spells known, so I would rule, they won't get new ones. Psions AFAIK have a fixed number of powers known as well, so the same thing. Wizards might try to copy spells from other wizard spellbook as seen in said wizard memories, but I guess it's as far as this goes (IMO anyone making a Spellcraft check might try to copy subject's spellbook, but only another wizard could benefit from it for obvious reasons).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sounds like a great BBEG in the making!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    You can obviously browse through all subject's memories. As for the spells: sorcerers have a fixed number of spells known, so I would rule, they won't get new ones. Psions AFAIK have a fixed number of powers known as well, so the same thing. Wizards might try to copy spells from other wizard spellbook as seen in said wizard memories, but I guess it's as far as this goes (IMO anyone making a Spellcraft check might try to copy subject's spellbook, but only another wizard could benefit from it for obvious reasons).
    What this dude said. I would probably allow a Sorcerer/Psion/other limited 'Spells Known' class to swap some of their Spells/Powers Known for valid ones they could learn from the target's Spells Known (ie, if a Sorcerer managed to pick up a banned school from somewhere then he couldn't swap for banned spells, and a Psion couldn't swap for wrong-Discipline powers.) But they would still be bound to their class charts for total Spells Known; it'd be quicker and generally more efficient to just Psi Reform for the powers you wanted to change out.