New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Worst Attribute Rolls and their characters.

After recently rolling some lackluster attribute stats for a character, I was wondering about other less-gifted characters. How bad have you playgrounders rolled, and what became of those characters?
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: Worst Attribute Rolls and their characters.

Rolled a 6. Put it in STR. Played a wizard. Never had an issue with it.

Looking back on it, I should've put the 6 in CHA and made him autistic. That would've been an interesting character. (Even though a 6 CHA isn't necessarily that low, it's low enough to justify something like that, if you happen to want to do it.)
    Last edited by Callista; 2010-10-19 at 05:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Gimpy the Sorcerer.

DM didn't allow rerolls, his highest stat was a...13? I think.

He never got to cast a spell, died very early on.

If you want to look, I think his death, was the turning point, from a nearly pure roleplayer, to the powergaming roll-playing roleplayer I am today.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Four charisma, seven intelligence, eight wisdom human Barbarian. Considering I was playing him as Chaotic Stupid anyway (it was a light-hearted campaign), it fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I decided to play a fighter for an upcoming game. Rolled a 7. Put it in Charisma. It galled me (I'm accustomed to high Cha characters). And thus, Gaul was born. A surly, people-hating half-giant. Think Jayne Cobb with a bit of Dr. Cox (he has a 13 Int and 12 Wis) so the insults and nicknames will be fast and inventive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the worst I've ever suffered from was a 9 in something, back in 1e/2e when 9-12 was just 'no bonus' rather than a -1 to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Psion:

STR 11
    DEX 12
    CON 13
    INT 17
    WIS 9
    CHA 5
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

When rolling up a character in Hackmaster 4e my shaman died. Yes, you read that correctly ... during character creation my character died! I spent the benny to reroll the result and he ended up being a goiter ridden shaman with short-term memory loss. Oh, and his stats were just horrible too. 3d6 right down the line.

One of the best characters I played in my life. Hehehe

Dizlag

9. - Top - End - #9

I was the DM rather than the player, but the player got a wizard with 4 Con.

He would up playing as a secretly evil character, who was performing services for Devils in exchange for the promise of good health. He started as a level 5 wizard with 5 hp, ended as a level 6 wizard with 1 hp, after losing his hands to a spell from the BoVD. This action also revealed his true nature to the party, the result of which was them all racing against each other to be the one to kill him.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dizlag View Post
    Yes, you read that correctly ... during character creation my character died!
    H...how? Is 4th ed that harsh?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I played a scout with a 5 strength and 8 constitution. He was going to go into soulbow.

And his name was Annie D'neihm.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    4th ed Hackmaster, not D&D. It uses the AD&D rules.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-10-19 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    It was HACKMASTER 4e ... not D&D 4e.

On one of the background tables for your class you can roll an aspect of your background. Since this character was a shaman, I think this table was to see if he got lost while in the woods during a spirit walk or something. Well, he got lost, then got pneumonia and died.

Dizlag

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I recall a 3.0 Bard I played with 7 Str, 9 Dex, 7 Con, 12 Int, 6 Wis, 16 Cha

I played him similarly to that one teacher/author from Harry Potter (predates the books so obviously not based on him)... He'd steal obscure folk tales from cultures that were not local and cast himself as the hero, but then beg off with some sort of specific ailment when threats manifested.

I will note that while he lied to other PCs, I was very upfront with the other players, so they did not get "sticker shock" at my sub-par combat skills. For once other players were relieved when I started playing bard song instead of attacking *g*
    To Prevent Serious Injury: Be Awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    I played a scout with a 5 strength and 8 constitution. He was going to go into soulbow.

And his name was Annie D'neihm.
    Ah yes! I remember this guy. To bad he had to die, he was so funny. Well not to say all your characters arn't funny. Like the Kolbolt gnome killer
    Rememberth thy the game, thou arth no victor.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Rolled a 6 and put it into Cha, then played a dwarven monk named Dor. Not to freindly and had no sense of humor. Oh! And he slicked his hair back with just about anything. After that would have to be Pell the "Special" Paladin. He had a 6 Int, a 6 Cha, and a 8 in Wis. His highest stat was Con and that was a 13. He did't make it to far...in the Tomb of Horrors!
    Rememberth thy the game, thou arth no victor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

...must it necessarily be rolls? Because I once had all 1s except an Int of 3 in a PbP game that ground to a halt while I was off on a trip. DM had that assigned due to an idea that I had put forth on these boards.

Otherwise, I got nothing, as I DM prettymuch all the time, save for 4E and SWSE and those were point buy.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

All of the really bad characters i had for stats were int he older versions of the game 1st and second edition. The newer versions of the 'your total bonuses must be at least +1' rule which prevents truely horrid characters.

That said, when Mr. Gygax died we did a tribute game of 3d6 no rerolls and one of the characters was so bad he only qualified for fighter. (ie the highest stat he had was a 9)

Its by far the worst character ive ever seen for rolls.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo_Rat View Post
    The newer versions of the 'your total bonuses must be at least +1' rule which prevents truely horrid characters.
    I very much dislike this rule. (And subsequently don't use it. Not that we need to, what with 4d6b3 and all.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A friend of mine rolled up a Cleric by the old methods in AD&D who had virtually nothing but a 14 in wisdom. He had str 11, dex 7, con 9, int 10, wis 14 cha 8

He hated the character, but our DM wouldn't let him re-roll, so he played him as a (curiously, not very wise) Cleric who just charged into every fray we could point him towards. That sort of attitude really grew on him. We ended that campaign when 3rd ed. came out, he created a half-orc barbarian, and cried with joy at how much more fun it was to wade into combat

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

It's from my first 3.5 character, now dead. Rolled up a cleric with scores were Str 10 Dex 5 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 10. The second twelve? That used to be a 6 until the DM gave it a bonus.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

..... got a character with a total modifer of -2, I don't remember the stats exactly....it was supposed to be a gish....on the good side that set of rolls were the ones that convinced my DM to switch to point buy
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Rolled a 6. Put it in STR. Played a wizard. Never had an issue with it.

Looking back on it, I should've put the 6 in CHA and made him autistic. That would've been an interesting character. (Even though a 6 CHA isn't necessarily that low, it's low enough to justify something like that, if you happen to want to do it.)
    Don't fool yourself. Autistic people can be very charismatic and manipulative. An autistic person with charisma and who is clever enough to realize what they have access to is probably the closest thing to a fair folk you'll ever meet in real life. A person that you have to either be friends with, or word everything you say carefully for fear they screw you over with it somehow.

23. - Top - End - #23

I had a player that rolled 1 1 1 1 1 on a 5d6 stat roll.
    I allowed a reroll since his BEST attribute was 12? He ended up with nice stats and a 7, warmage's strength. He also took and elf with -2 str +2 cha. He barely caried his armor...
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-10-20 at 04:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo_Rat View Post
    All of the really bad characters i had for stats were int he older versions of the game 1st and second edition. The newer versions of the 'your total bonuses must be at least +1' rule which prevents truely horrid characters.
    Depends what level you are playing at, I'd say that at the DM's discretion you could have as low as +0 average (aka 60pt roll) and the highest I'd allow as a minimum is probably 80. As you go up in levels it gets rather important to have your casters have at least 1 decent stat.

Here's some simple homebrew tricks:

Players may average out their lowest and highest stat, and by that I mean take 1 away from their highest and add it to their lowest.

Players may beef up a single stat by subtracting 2 from their highest stat OR second highest to improve any one stat by 1 point.

Players may accept a +2 to a single stat at the cost of +1 ECL, this bonus does not stack on any one attribute but can be applied multiple times.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-10-20 at 04:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Mind explaining? I know who that is, but I don't see the relevance.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Mind explaining? I know who that is, but I don't see the relevance.
    Spoilers: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp

Low Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stats:
    STR 8
    Dex 12
    Con 9
    Int 14
    Wis 6
    Cha 6

Class: Bard (Without bardic music, spells or class features)
    (Sp) Once per day you may add +20 to your attack roll.
    Ranks: Swim, Craft (Painting), Craft (Weaponry), Bluff (Poor)
    Feats: Run, Dash

Usopp is a coward, a bragard, an egomaniac, a buffoon, a sailor, a wimp, a pirate, an unbelievably compulsive liar at which he is terrible at, and a wannabe captain.

This is comical because he has so much aspirations and so many emotional ties to how he imagines himself yet is utterly useless at almost everything.

He adventures with some of the strongest people in the world, an epic fighter who uses 3 swords at once, a homebrew "rubberman" who has the strength and fighting skill of an optimized swordsage with 25 str, dex and con, a canny navigator rogue, a doctor with multiple wildshapes and combat enhancing drugs (+class abilities, +stats, +HP, ect. that last for 30rounds each) and an optimized chef/monk.

He plays a role sort of like Jeff from earthbound, where he makes comically ineffective weapons like shooting eggs, hot sauce balls and marbles from his sling shot-- in fact for at least the first hundred episodes of his character his most potent skill is being able to run 175' per round where as he is fighting humanoids that can only run 120'.

My advice would be to make a Scoundrel, if you do not have the book Complete Scoundrel I suggest you get it as it contains a multitude of ideas on how to run a fun character on an interactive and imaginative level rather than making it a dice rolling or number contest.

Most people forget than a +0 = an average human if you round it out, and it seems like everyone and their dog has an obsession behind the necessity of being abnormal to have truly grand adventures.
    But perhaps its possible that a lot of people who play DnD really separate the concept of actually roleplaying as if they were doing it and need the extra padding, personally I find it WAY more fun playing lower stat as it makes me think more along the lines of how I would react if it were actually me.

But then again, a lot of people think their IRL stats are higher than they are, heh. Seems like everyone and their brother seems to say "stupid people do this and do that" now adays, where as from what I've observed most people 20-30 are mentally obese (high skillpoints/int, low wis/digestion and refinement of that information) which makes for quite unintelligent people to be frank-- but the current world teaches us to be prepared for a competitive job market, where being good at your job is more important than being better at life; and that's where being mentally obese comes in handy.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-10-20 at 05:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Air Mephling Bard (LA+1 Race, +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Int)

Stats after applying racial modifiers:

Str: 8
    Dex: 12
    Kon: 7
    Int: 12
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 17

Truly horrid stats, most fun I ever had with a character nonetheless. She took up permanent residence on the astral plane.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

3d6 down-the-line, NPC-class PbP. Got a pair of 5s, at Con and Int. For the short time that game lasted, she was an alcohol-damaged woman-child. Fortunately the other mental stats rolled rather high, so I could limp along in the party on innocence and woods-wisdom instead, and even take Adept.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Don't fool yourself. Autistic people can be very charismatic and manipulative. An autistic person with charisma and who is clever enough to realize what they have access to is probably the closest thing to a fair folk you'll ever meet in real life. A person that you have to either be friends with, or word everything you say carefully for fear they screw you over with it somehow.
    I think the OP was referring to those with Aspergers Syndrome. They tend to strike people as very, very 'odd' [ie Gary Numan never particularly got on well with the media because of undiagnosed Aspergers, and is rather strange to talk to]. It's a good idea for playing a low Cha character.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Middle-aged Shifter Rogue/Wizard/Master of Masks/Arcane Trickster

Charisma: 18
    Wisdom: 8

Ranks in Bluff: Max
    Ranks in Sense Motive: None

This was actually one of my favorite characters, despite being multiclassed into oblivion and semi-useless in combat. I played him up as a con man who was so efficient at lying that he eventually believed his own BS. At a poker table, nobody could ever tell what he had in his hand, but he couldn't tell what anybody else had either.