New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Druid Help!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Druid Help!

IMPORTANT: my group has no D&D books. Any advice that relies on material not available online would be useless to me. That said, as DM I will consider homebrew.

Anyway, for a new campaign, one character is a 5th level Druid. I'm hoping for advice on feats and equipment at this stage.
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2010-10-19 at 04:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Druid Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    IMPORTANT:
    What is?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    What is?
    I hit post instead of preview by accident

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

IMPORTANT: my group has no D&D books. Any advice that relies on material not available online would be useless to me. That said, as DM I will consider homebrew.

Anyway, for a new campaign, one character is a 5th level Druid. I'm hoping for advice on feats and equipment at this stage.
    5th level druid:
    2 feats are useful: Spell focus Conjur + Augment Summoning?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Buy a few riding dogs and studded leather armour for them.

What else you'd want depends on what do you wish to focus on. Summoning, wildshaping and generalist caster benefit from different feats.

What race are you?

[Edit]: Are you taking any of the UA alternative classes or alternative class features?
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-10-19 at 04:28 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

inb4 Natural Spell.

Take Natural Spell. Get a bear as a companion. Buff yourself and/or the bear. Wildeshape into a bear. Tear faces off.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Focus on battlefield control spells like entangle. Summon Natures Ally (with or without Augment Summoning) really adds to the versatility and doesn't need to be prepared.

Don't neglect your animal companion, it can dominate at low levels. Buffs + equipment will make it hardier. I suggest taking in game time to roleplay out training your animals. Buy or find and train more animals (a few big ones are better than a lot of little ones). Two or more trained, equipped, and buffed riding dogs are no joke. An owl by night and a hawk by day are great helpers. A bat can "see" invisible.

Wildshape is limited but still usefull at this level (5 hours), so it's probably best used as emergency "gotta maul someone right now" rather than scouting. Next level it shines (don't forget to pick up the Natural Spell feat, you can't cast spells while wildshaped without it). Become familiar with the available forms and what they're good for (cats pounce, bears grab, snakes constrict, dogs trip, etc...).

Armor + shield + good constitution makes you a decent frontliner.

High Wisdom + Spot / Listen as class skills, means you should always see them trying to sneak up on you. Get some equipment to boost this.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    5th level druid:
    2 feats are useful: Spell focus Conjur + Augment Summoning?
    Thanks, under consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Buy a few riding dogs and studded leather armour for them.

What else you'd want depends on what do you wish to focus on. Summoning, wildshaping and generalist caster benefit from different feats.

What race are you?

[Edit]: Are you taking any of the UA alternative classes or alternative class features?
    Aiming to be a support caster.
    Wild Elf.
    Not using any of the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    inb4 Natural Spell.

Take Natural Spell. Get a bear as a companion. Buff yourself and/or the bear. Wildeshape into a bear. Tear faces off.
    Can't get Natural Spell before level 6.

Quote Originally Posted by golem1972 View Post
    Focus on battlefield control spells like entangle. Summon Natures Ally (with or without Augment Summoning) really adds to the versatility and doesn't need to be prepared.

Don't neglect your animal companion, it can dominate at low levels. Buffs + equipment will make it hardier. I suggest taking in game time to roleplay out training your animals. Buy or find and train more animals (a few big ones are better than a lot of little ones). Two or more trained, equipped, and buffed riding dogs are no joke. An owl by night and a hawk by day are great helpers. A bat can "see" invisible.

Wildshape is limited but still usefull at this level (5 hours), so it's probably best used as emergency "gotta maul someone right now" rather than scouting. Next level it shines (don't forget to pick up the Natural Spell feat, you can't cast spells while wildshaped without it). Become familiar with the available forms and what they're good for (cats pounce, bears grab, snakes constrict, dogs trip, etc...).

Armor + shield + good constitution makes you a decent frontliner.

High Wisdom + Spot / Listen as class skills, means you should always see them trying to sneak up on you. Get some equipment to boost this.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Devmaar; 2010-10-19 at 04:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Aiming to be a support caster.
    Wild Elf.
    Not using any of the alternatives.
    Okay, that's pretty straight-forward. If you don't go for Augment Summoning straight away, Extend Spell is pretty nice.

There's a list of all free WotC material (legally) available from the 'nets here. The extra handle animal tricks, for example, would be pretty decent if you chose to get bunch of animals.

[Edit]: Training a bat to "mark" would be a nice way to find and keep taps on invisible enemies.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-10-19 at 04:40 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Human is generally recomended for Druids. Extra feat helps, most racial features go away when you wildshape. Bonus to dex won't matter much, penalty to con might hurt.

Human would be SF: Conjuration (generally a waste, but it's a pre-req'), Augment Summoning, and Extend Spell (don't extend summons, you're better off using a higher level summon than a lower extended summon).

Elf, maybe Point blank shot and precise shot if you don't want the summoning route. Remember that you're proficient in slings (they're free) and they do bludgeoning damage (+str mod). Clubs are also free and can be thrown.

Core Druid is easier in some ways because there are no Prestige classes to spend skills/feats on. Later, you might look at power attack, or quicken spell. There aren't really a lot of necessary feats besides Natural Spell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

just remember, Not sure if you have it yet (Is share spell level 1?) but sometime you get Share Spell, and basically get two spells for the price of one if they effect yourself and ur companion is 5 feet from you (which is why so many player druids ride their pet i guess).
    Twice as much healing, twice as much buffing, twice as much ....hmmmm....Feral druid screaming bloody murder riding a bear while both are on fire and made out of metal......
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    Feral druid screaming bloody murder riding a bear while both are on fire and made out of metal......
    it needs MOAR BEAR!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Druid. That alone is sufficient.

Just pick spells to prepare right, don't get gimped with a bad animal companion, and pick good combat/utility shapes and you'll be worth two fighters at least, more when you summon bears. Also, Summon Nature's Ally allows access to the spell like abilities of the summoned creatures for further utility since one can spontaneously cast it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    My personal favourites:

Levels 5-7: Black Bear for combat, Eagle for flight.
    Levels 8-11: Dire Lion for combat, Dire Bat for flight.
    Levels 12-14: Dire Bear for combat, Dire Bat for flight.
    Level 15+: Never played a Druid at this level, so haven't looked into it. Probably a choice between Air Elemental, Earth Elemental, and Dire Tiger, though.

- Saph
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-20 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Can't get Natural Spell before level 6.
    So, all you had to do, is "wait" only one level...
    Anyway, +1 for the augment summoning line.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.