New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default favorite gaming genre?

*Not* favorite game, but genre. Like horror, fantasy, scifi, western, etc. I personally like as big of a mix as possible. Not sure what to call it, fanfy maybe, hehe. Anyone know if there's a word for it? I like both elements of scifi and fantasy. Like multiple worlds with spaceships but also magic. Then add in some western flare and creepy horror and you've got my perfect setting. Not sure what to call that though...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: favorite gaming genre?

Post-apocalyptic and wuxia. Preferably both at the same time.

Though sci-fi is quickly moving up.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Fantasy, fantasy, and...lemme think, oh yeah FANTASY!!!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I like pretty much anything. Variety is the spice of life.

The one I end up playing the most though, is fantasy. And I mean proper fantasy, not just medieval stuff with pointy ears and silly hats.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Post-apocalyptic and wuxia. Preferably both at the same time.

Though sci-fi is quickly moving up.
    post apocalyptic wuxia or post apocalyptic anything? Because you can have post apocalyptic fantasy for instance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Post-apocalyptic wuxia. Which is fantasy, but a specific subset of fantasy.

I dislike post-apocalyptic other forms of fantasy, because I keep asking "why haven't these awesome mages fixed everything already?".
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Post-apocalyptic wuxia. Which is fantasy, but a specific subset of fantasy.

I dislike post-apocalyptic other forms of fantasy, because I keep asking "why haven't these awesome mages fixed everything already?".
    I'm not familiar. Explain please?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    *Not* favorite game, but genre. Like horror, fantasy, scifi, western, etc. I personally like as big of a mix as possible. Not sure what to call it, fanfy maybe, hehe. Anyone know if there's a word for it? I like both elements of scifi and fantasy. Like multiple worlds with spaceships but also magic. Then add in some western flare and creepy horror and you've got my perfect setting. Not sure what to call that though...
    Star Wars.

I love fantasy the most, but I do enjoy sci-fi a lot too, especially when the two are combined as you described. To me, the best genre is one that allows for anything you want to happen.

9. - Top - End - #9

NinjaGuy

I haven't tried many, but I like me my Swords and Magic!

I want to try future-ish sci-fi with giant mechs though.

10. - Top - End - #10

Fantasy is my favorite. But I'm over-saturated with it, which makes me want to play post-apoc modern or space-western more.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

I like fantasy mixed with technology - the elemental-powered trains/airships, outer space filled with demons, lasers that run on mana, robots that use magic etc. Needless to say I love both Eberron and Warcraft.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I like fantasy mixed with technology - the elemental-powered trains/airships, outer space filled with demons, lasers that run on mana, robots that use magic etc. Needless to say I love both Eberron and Warcraft.
    I love this style as well, practically every setting I create has some tinge of technology mixed with magic.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not sure what to call that though...
    Kitchen-sink? Cosmopolitan? Blender? Gumbo?

Personally I like comedy. If things aren't funny from time to time, it's just not quite as fun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I like Two-Fisted Tales Adventure. D&D's Eberron and the Savage Worlds game systems are awesome deliveries of what I like.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I have a slight favoritism towards very low fantasy. That said, while genre varies highly, some motifs manage to see more use than they ever deserve, one of which is industrialization, another the unknown.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I enjoy a mixture of Dark Lovecraftian Horror and Steampunk. Call of Cthulhu meets Iron Kingdoms type-of-stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

SciFI/Western mixes.

Firefly does a good job of showing what I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I like humorous, less-serious campaigns, though it's hard to get people to agree to them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I like humorous, less-serious campaigns, though it's hard to get people to agree to them.
    If you live in Va., I'm your man. We did a campaign based off of all the old Christmas specials, and another based off the song "Living Dead Girl." Our group loves comedy.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

20. - Top - End - #20

Your favourite type of genre would likely fall as a sub-set of science-fantasy... which is already a pretty ambiguous genre as it is really a combination of two others.

Anyways, I have always had a liking for low fantasy and sci-fi... but I'll pretty much play anything as long as the game isn't just the players stomping every last thing they meet.
    Bow down and pray to the God of Roads, for without his most Holy Paths, you would be forever doomed to travel through the Roadless Wilds.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Campaign
    My Own Hombrew Sci-fi RPG that is ever so slowly being constructed... SLOWLY! Heroes of the Stars Currently on Hold.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the Cool Avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Equally Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Dark, Gritty, and very very Low.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I know what we could call your genre.
    We could call it...
    ...SPELLJAMMER!

23. - Top - End - #23

I love the retro-futuristic settings, like Eberron and (to a lesser extent) Dark Heresy.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

Post-apocalyptic Desert world for the win!

(aka Darksun)

I like games that are serious when they need to be, but zany and laid back from time to time. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For me, it's all about setting.. (And DM, of course).. My staple is fantasy, preferably of a dark, gritty, horror style (Cthulu, Ravenloft, WFRP), but I also like some Sci-Fi..

And for something that I WANT to play, but have never been able to put together a game for.. Post-Apocalyptic for the win!! Twilight 2000, Gamma World (yeah, I said Gamma World).. I'm THAT old, lol. Rawr!

26. - Top - End - #26

Put me down for Space Western as well. Also Victorian Monsters, Fantasy Superheroes, and high-powered post-apocalyptic wasteland. (I think my philosophy can be summed up as "more explosions, less grit".)

I used to own the original Gamma World, but I never did get anyone to play it with me either. I'm actually thinking of picking up the 4e version, although I don't really have time to learn a new ruleset right now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    For me, it's all about setting.. (And DM, of course).. My staple is fantasy, preferably of a dark, gritty, horror style (Cthulu, Ravenloft, WFRP), but I also like some Sci-Fi..

And for something that I WANT to play, but have never been able to put together a game for.. Post-Apocalyptic for the win!! Twilight 2000, Gamma World (yeah, I said Gamma World).. I'm THAT old, lol. Rawr!
    Unfortunately WotC is ruining another great TSR title, by updating Gamma World.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I wouldn't say "ruined" really. Just transformed into something neither your nor I would like.

I still say that WOTC could probably make a significant enough profit if they would open up the AD&D/Gamma World/Etc. rules sets again and allow people to publish under them and even release new printings of the books. They would at the very least generate a lot of good will.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I always come back to fantasy. I don't like it for every single game, but I play fantasy between other genre diversions. It's a good default.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    With 4th ed D&D style mechanics?

That's just wrong on so many levels.

Anyway, favourite genres for me are: magical samurai drama. Which is a specific subset of fantasy, but without most of the baggage that comes from a certain legacy system. I like me some Cyberpunk too, preferably with no magic, but I am getting tempted to pick up a copy of Shadowrun just to bait in my players. Superheroes too. Cape or no cape is a very serious question. Science fiction is good. Preferably a little harder than Star Wars or Dark Heresy would allow. But I'd tolerate either of those.