New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGirl

Default The SAD challange!

This exercise in optimization is simple: built the SADest 3.5 character concept possible. In other words, have as many class features, spell DCs, saves, attack/AC bonuses or other miscellaneous stuff keyed off the same attribute bonus.

Bonus DnDs if you can follow the standard multiclassing rules.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The SAD challange!

What about NAD characters?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-21 at 05:28 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What was that class that was recommended to those who have all 8s in their abilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What was that class that was recommended to those who have all 8s in their abilities?
    The Wallock.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Wizard 20 with that Fey feat that keys hit points off intelligence. That's all you need.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Wizard 20 with that Fey feat that keys hit points off intelligence. That's all you need.
    Add in some Factotum for more Int shenanigans.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Where is that from? The only feats I know like that solely apply to hit points gained at first level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

8. - Top - End - #8

You can get charisma to AC, saves, attack rolls and damage. Often twice. If you are undead, you can also get it to hit points.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Where is that from? The only feats I know like that solely apply to hit points gained at first level.
    Enjoy your cheese.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

10. - Top - End - #10

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You can get charisma to AC, saves, attack rolls and damage. Often twice. If you are undead, you can also get it to hit points.
    and spell DC's and bonus spell if you don't already get them from there.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclocone View Post
    How does one handle the "partner" part without DM intervention? Leadership?

Also, what was the feat that allowed Cha to HP for Undead? And where can i find it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Barring casters, a Factotum X/ Swashbuckler 3/ Invisible Blade X/ Monk 2 (with Carmendine Monk)/ Warblade X/ Eternal Blade X sounds like a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Simulacrum.

Also, what was the feat that allowed Cha to HP for Undead? And where can i find it?
    Unholy Toughness; not a feat but a special Trait found in some late-edition undead. Can be aquired through the Walker in the Wastes PrC (It's-Hot-Outside).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Simple: you only need to perform the ritual one single time, ever, not once per day. Stick it in your backstory if possible, or make a point of searching for a one-time partner in game otherwise.

It's not a feat, but rather a special ability that was commonly given to new undead published after a certain point in 3.5's run, but undead from before its introduction were not retroactively given it by errata and were not given any way to obtain it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

From T_G's Tome of Battle compendium:
    This is a SAD Warblade build requiring only a 13 INT to tick, though a good CON is always helpful.
    Build Name: Intelligent Warrior
    Race: Grey Elf
    Build Stub: FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 10

Build Progression:
    FTR 1: Combat Expertise, Initiate of the Faerie Mysteries
    FTR 2: Improved Trip
    FTR 2/SWB 1: Exotic Weapon Proficiency – Spiked Chain
    FTR 2/SWB 2: +1 INT
    FTR 2/SWB 3:
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 1: Weapon Focus – Spiked Chain. Maneuvers – Moment of Perfect Mind, Steel Wind, Leading the Attack. Stance – Punishing Stance.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 2: Maneuver – Douse the Flames.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 3: Maneuver – Action Before Thought. +1 INT
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 4: Weapon Specialization – Spiked Chain. Stance – Hunter’s Sense.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5: Martial Study – Diamond Mind. Maneuver – White Raven Tactics.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 1: Maneuver – Bonecrusher.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 2: Rapid Assault. +1 INT
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 3: Maneuver – Ruby Nightmare Blade.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 4:
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 5: Sudden Recovery. Maneuver – Rapid Counter. Stance – Hearing the Air.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 6: +1 INT
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 7: Maneuver – Greater Insightful Strike.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 8: Vital Recovery.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 9: Maneuver – Quicksilver Motion.
    FTR 2/SWB 3/WB 5/EB 10: +1 INT

Legend: FTR – Fighter. SWB – Swashbuckler. WB – Warblade. EB – Eternal Blade
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Simulacrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerie Mysteries Initiate
    Passions: You and your partner engage in an exuberant sensual act. The ritual leaves both partners invigorated
    I have many problems with this idea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    I have many problems with this idea.
    But whom else could you really trust?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I was of course referring to the fact that simulacrums are entirely composed of ice and snow

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

They'd know exactly how you like it, that's for sure...
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Spamalot in the Playground

There's that "Sir Wisdom the SAD" build from Person_Man's X to Y thread. I'm too lazy to link it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The Wallock.
    Binder should work too, though I'd need time to come up with a build.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2010-10-21 at 09:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Sir Wisdom the SAD

Elan Paladin 4/Sanctified Mind 1/War Mind 5/Sanctified Mind 2-6

A Paladin using the Serenity feat (Dragon Magazine, also on Crystalkeep) uses Wis instead of Cha for all of his class abilities. So now your Wis improves all of your Saves (and it effectively doubles up on your Will Save), and you can use it for Smite (bonus to hit) and Turn Undead uses (various Divine feats).

Sanctified Mind (Lords of Madness) is 6 level, full BAB PrC which provides 5/6 caster or manifester progression (player's choice, and you can explicitly change which you take each level) with the dead level being the first level of the class. Unlike most other classes, you can enter it at ECL 5. It also has some semi-useful class abilities, including Power Resistance based on your HD, which counts as Spell Resistance if your DM is using the transparency rules.

War Mind is a nifty PrC. His best class feature is Sweeping Strike, which can be abused all kinds of ways with Attack of Opportunity combos. But he also gets Wis based Psychic Warrior power progression. It's relatively fast progression, too. At ECL 15, you essentially have the same powers as a 15th level Psychic Warrior.

Intuitive Attack feat (Book of Exalted Deeds) allows you to use your Wis bonus for your To-Hit bonus with simple or natural weapons (including your uber Claws of the Beast).

Enhanced Elan Resilience feat (Complete Psionic) improves your Elan ability to spend your Power Points (based on Wis) to negate damage to 4 points per power point spent. You can also burn 1 point to get +4 to your Saves for 1 round. Though you need to be careful about this, as both are an Immediate Action, and thus can be done once per round. Alternatively or in addition, you can also get temporary hit points with the Vigor power, and/or heal with Hostile Empathic Transfer when you need to. And/or you can set up the standard Claws of the Beast + Claws of the Vampire + Expansion combo. Just be mindful that you have very limited power points (though you're helped out by bonus power points from a high Wis).

Buy a Monk's Belt, and you get Wis to AC (including Touch AC). Improve both AC's even higher by using the Shield and Inertial Armor powers. And since you're not wearing armor, you can buy a Ring of Evasion, just to be extra cautious.

To top it off, take a look at the Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) to get free movement every turn, so that you can make a full attack every round. (Not that you need it. You have Hustle. But it's nice to be thorough).

Put it all together, and you get a PC who has Wis based Turn Undead, Saves, To-Hit, AC, and (essentially) hit points, with full BAB, 15th level Psychic Warrior abilities, plenty of divine and psionic options, and numerous useful class abilities.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    I was of course referring to the fact that simulacrums are entirely composed of ice and snow
    Ah yes... that could get ugly.

23. - Top - End - #23

@ Person_Man: Yeah, that's the one

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Combo of Cha to HP for Undead PLUS Int to HP? Yes. Because I think the Cha to HP for Undead does not replace Con.

Also, relevant link is relevant.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Sir Wisdom the SAD

A Paladin using the Serenity feat (Dragon Magazine, also on Crystalkeep) uses Wis instead of Cha for all of his class abilities. So now your Wis improves all of your Saves (and it effectively doubles up on your Will Save), and you can use it for Smite (bonus to hit) and Turn Undead uses (various Divine feats).

Sanctified Mind (Lords of Madness) is 6 level, full BAB PrC which provides 5/6 caster or manifester progression (player's choice, and you can explicitly change which you take each level) with the dead level being the first level of the class. Unlike most other classes, you can enter it at ECL 5. It also has some semi-useful class abilities, including Power Resistance based on your HD, which counts as Spell Resistance if your DM is using the transparency rules.

War Mind is a nifty PrC. His best class feature is Sweeping Strike, which can be abused all kinds of ways with Attack of Opportunity combos. But he also gets Wis based Psychic Warrior power progression. It's relatively fast progression, too. At ECL 15, you essentially have the same powers as a 15th level Psychic Warrior.

Intuitive Attack feat (Book of Exalted Deeds) allows you to use your Wis bonus for your To-Hit bonus with simple or natural weapons (including your uber Claws of the Beast).

Enhanced Elan Resilience feat (Complete Psionic) improves your Elan ability to spend your Power Points (based on Wis) to negate damage to 4 points per power point spent. You can also burn 1 point to get +4 to your Saves for 1 round. Though you need to be careful about this, as both are an Immediate Action, and thus can be done once per round. Alternatively or in addition, you can also get temporary hit points with the Vigor power, and/or heal with Hostile Empathic Transfer when you need to. And/or you can set up the standard Claws of the Beast + Claws of the Vampire + Expansion combo. Just be mindful that you have very limited power points (though you're helped out by bonus power points from a high Wis).

Buy a Monk's Belt, and you get Wis to AC (including Touch AC). Improve both AC's even higher by using the Shield and Inertial Armor powers. And since you're not wearing armor, you can buy a Ring of Evasion, just to be extra cautious.

To top it off, take a look at the Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) to get free movement every turn, so that you can make a full attack every round. (Not that you need it. You have Hustle. But it's nice to be thorough).

Put it all together, and you get a PC who has Wis based Turn Undead, Saves, To-Hit, AC, and (essentially) hit points, with full BAB, 15th level Psychic Warrior abilities, plenty of divine and psionic options, and numerous useful class abilities.
    This! I must play this! I must play it soon!

How much Wis can one get by lvl 20? As an Elan you can start with 18, get a + 6 enhancement bonus from a Periapt of Wisdom and read a tome (or Wish for) a +5 inherent bonus. So far that's 29 but I'm sure we can do better!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

This! I must play this! I must play it soon!

How much Wis can one get by lvl 20? As an Elan you can start with 18, get a + 6 enhancement bonus from a Periapt of Wisdom and read a tome (or Wish for) a +5 inherent bonus. So far that's 29 but I'm sure we can do better!
    You're forgetting the +5 from leveling. That's 34.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

27. - Top - End - #27

There's also the Totemist. His Save DC's are all based on Constitution, and various breath weapon soulmelds don't require an attack roll. You could easily mix in Warblade for Action Before Thought (Reflex Saves), Moment of Perfect Mind (Will Saves), and Insightful Strike (damage). Maybe a level of Fist of the Forest for AC. Depending on the ECL, you might want to use Totem Rager so you don't screw up your chakra bind progression too much. Dragonborn Mongrelfolk for +6 to Con and another breath weapon, and you're set.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Sir Wisdom the SAD

While improved saves are good, smite evil is very weak.

Good, but is still Psychic Warrior power progression.

You're restricted to simple weapons. In melee, your best damage dice is d8 and you dont get WIS to damage. Your best weapon is the crossbow.

OK.

You are attempting to gain the class features of a monk. Armour is just better.

Crappy. Not SAD at all. Effectively you are a suboptimal monk restricted to poor weapons, who has to wait to 15th level to catch up with the casting power of a gish class. You need loads and loads of feats to make your build work. Try to actually construct a character using your build and you will see how poor it is.

As a SAD wisdom dependent class a straight cloistered cleric is better at every level.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Haarkla View Post
    While improved saves are good, smite evil is very weak.
    The point is not the damage, it's that you get Wis to attack twice with simple weapons or once with a martial weapon.

You're restricted to simple weapons.
    Correction: you're restricted to simple and natural weapons with IA. That means your Bite of the Wolf, Claws of the Beast, and/or whatever you metamorphosis into get Wis to attack twice. (IA + Smite)

You are attempting to gain the class features of a monk. Armour is just better.
    The trouble with armor is that (a) it typically does nothing for your touch AC and (b) it does not stack with Inertial Armor.

Proclaiming it "just better" is premature.

Good, but is still Psychic Warrior power progression.
    What's wrong with Psywar power progression? You're not a caster, you're a gish.

As a SAD wisdom dependent class a straight cloistered cleric is better at every level.
    You mean a Tier 1 class is better than a Tier 3 mixed with a Tier 5? Stop the presses!
    Last edited by Psyren; 2010-10-21 at 12:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Just a note, but using Tier 1 classes as an argument because they're better is a very, very poor argument.