Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The right music for the right mood [Halloween...ish?]

Alright, so I have decided that rather than following my original plan of making a zombified Disney story out of my Halloween game that doesn't fit into the schedule, I'll have my party end up in a city with humans gone crazy, disturbed, etcetera. Not sure exactly how, but if I come up with something I'll put it up here.

Thing is, it's hard to set a mood through mere storytelling, at least it is for me with a party of 6. So I plan on having music along in the game, preferably looping in one of my laptop's music players. The sad thing? The easiest and best music to find has lyrics. Got the idea actually while listening to Rihanna's Disturbia, so if someone has an instrumental version found somewhere, that'd be perfect.

If anyone knows some good "crazy" or heck "psychedelic" music or music that just generally goes well with Halloween that doesn't have lyrics, please be of aid? If links to legally free downloads can be provided, that would also be amazingly swell.

EDIT: Providing titles/artist names or links to music that fit the bill but have lyrics still is also fine, as I can try to search or ask others for instrumental versions of it.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-21 at 08:39 PM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The right music for the right mood [Halloween...ish?]

First Halloween song that comes to mind is This is Halloween by Marilyn Manson from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Youtube Instrumental

Dunno about downloading though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Alright, so I have decided that rather than following my original plan of making a zombified Disney story out of my Halloween game that doesn't fit into the schedule, I'll have my party end up in a city with humans gone crazy, disturbed, etcetera. Not sure exactly how, but if I come up with something I'll put it up here.

Thing is, it's hard to set a mood through mere storytelling, at least it is for me with a party of 6. So I plan on having music along in the game, preferably looping in one of my laptop's music players. The sad thing? The easiest and best music to find has lyrics. Got the idea actually while listening to Rihanna's Disturbia, so if someone has an instrumental version found somewhere, that'd be perfect.

If anyone knows some good "crazy" or heck "psychedelic" music or music that just generally goes well with Halloween that doesn't have lyrics, please be of aid? If links to legally free downloads can be provided, that would also be amazingly swell.

EDIT: Providing titles/artist names or links to music that fit the bill but have lyrics still is also fine, as I can try to search or ask others for instrumental versions of it.

The Left 4 Dead soundtrack. I can nab a playlist for you, hold on...

Edit: Here it is.

Edit-edit: There's a website that rips audio from youtube vids, forget its name. Worth a google.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-10-21 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I recommend Nox Arcana and the Last Night on Earth soundtrack. Also most horror movie soundtracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

This. (And pretty much anything else by Clint Mansell, too.)
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-10-22 at 04:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome help so far! Really good suggestions.

I managed to get an instrumental version of Disturbia and tried to find a downloadable (or at least loopable) version of Clint Mansell's Requiem For A Dream, but failed so far. Nightmare Before Christmas songs are good, but I'm not a fan of Marilyn Manson's work.

On another note, are there any classical works that would befit a Halloween theme? Or Video Game battle music that would fit together with it? I presume Kingdom Hearts might have some stuff since it has Nightmare Before Christmas in it and I know Shadow of the Colossus has some good stuff, but that's all.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Try Limewire for an MP3, or the ant.com toolbar will let you snag a video as a .flv file, then play it in GOM Player on repeat.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

You can rip that playlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

You can rip that playlist.
    Your way's way too easy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Here are some of my favorite choices:

Something I Can Never Have - Nine Inch Nails
    My Immortal - Evanescence
    Broken - Seether
    Tempus Vernum - Enya

The London Philharmonic did a great version of Led Zeppelin hits. I particularly like Kashmir.

Apocalyptica's Metallica stuff is pretty good as well.

Also, look for some of the soundtrack music written by Danny Elfman.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I personally prefer the very disharmonious sounds of Lustmord over most other 'scary music'. It works very well if you play it at the same time as a different soundtrack at the same time, to 'hide' the Lustmord track. It works marvelously to get your players edgy, especially when combined with something seemingly innocent.

Other than that, avoid anything with understandable vocals. They are usually distracting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Aura, the CD by Miles Davis. Psychedelic instrumental jazz. An hour of that and you will feel like you've taken an acid trip.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-22 at 12:30 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I recommend finding stuff by The Midnight Syndicate; it's what I use. They've even got one based around a creepy insane asylum (I think it's "Gates of Delirium").

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Pretty much everything by Amiina (Such as 'In the Forest', available as part of the 'Nightmare Revisited'-CD, which is essentially the 'A Nightmare before Christmas'-Soundtrack remade by various musicians of equally various reputations and which you should perhaps check out as well. I believe there may be some samples on Youtube), but also pretty much everything from the 'Heroes of Might and Magic 3'-Soundtrack (Which is definitely and freely available on Youtube) and the one of 'MediEvil' (Wiki-ed for obscurity).

Also, Liszt (Totentanz, anyone?), Penderecki (I mean, seriously, wow...) and most less 'bombastic' Gregorianic pieces blend in perfectly with psychotics-themed horror. As do some of the (primarily instrumental) works of French Neoclassical band Dark Sanctuary (I think you might find something from them in the Tube, as well).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Well, soundtrack from Akira is anything but normal.

Some Dead Can Dance songs are kind of creepy. It does contain singing, but it's more like chanting, so most likely won't divert players attention.

I can't find it, but a music-only version of "The Trial" by Pink Floyd would be great.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

If the stuff recomended here suits your needs, the soundtrack of Quake might also be worth looking into it.
    Last edited by Yora; 2010-10-23 at 11:03 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

In the context of the movie this music belongs to, this actually creeped me out. With the right visuals, it could work.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

In a Haloween session I would probally go for Mozart's Requim...but then again not very "acid trippy"...Aura, Miles Davis is a good call.. best of luck
    awesome avatar by kalirush

One less gnome for the resistance to fight

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "Roy has boobies!"

Yes, that's all I had to contribute