Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 4e D&D Gamma World (7th edition)

Our group just got ourselves a copy of it and I have mixed feelings. I had a very fun time running around as a yeti wielding a stopsign as a weapon. It gave the game a light hearted feeling from the start and that feeling continued with the random character creation preventing any focused optimization.

I'm a big fan of optimizing, practical, not theoretical. I wouldn't claim to be the best at it by any means, but I stand out among the group. I normally have to make sure I build things in line with the party, and I always have a pang of regret for not being able to fully explore all my options because of that.

Not having to worry about any of that is a change of pace that I enjoy. If someone is weaker than someone else, it's the dice's fault, not ours.

On the other hand, one of our players had a 6 for their con score and it wasn't a surprise that she almost died the first fight and wasn't so lucky the next. It sucks to get shafted with such low health and not have any other choice to make up for it. The lethality rate to start with doesn't help either

Did I mention I was a yeti with a stop sign?

What do you guys think of the new Gamma World? What are your experiences?
    Some men are born to kill.
    Others push people around.
    A few are destined to lead

I was born a tank.

¶▅c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
    ▄████████████████▅▄▃▂ Avatar by Lordsmoothe
    █E█V█I█S█C█E█R█A█T█O█R██►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e D&D Gamma World (7th edition)

That's what Gabe from Penny Arcade thinks about.

Which makes it very strange, and I'd like to try it out too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I own the boxed set, but won't be able to playtest it until tomorrow.

Having looked through the stuff, however, I'll say that I like some of it (artwork, humor, equipment lists, templated character generation, overcharge, gorgeous battle maps) and hate other aspects (randomized booster packs of powers, deck building, extremely random stat generation, no personalization during character generation, low capstone level).

The game seems designed for one-shots and on-the-fly sessions. It certainly seems antagonistic to players becoming attached to their characters.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-10-23 at 05:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I just finished playing a promo at the local game store not, what? Four hours ago. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was a gravity controller mind coercer. I was stuck on the character as soon as I learned I didn't take falling damage. Me and my friend are going half and half on our own copy of the game.

Oh, and the minitank. God we loved the minitank.

5. - Top - End - #5

I accidentally posted a second Gamma World thread, but I'll repost my reactions from a game day trial:

I played an empath giant by the name of "Gentle Ben." My weapon of choice: a stop light. At one point in the game, I grew a yeti-like pelt (Chewbacca, anyone?) and then lost it. So, I was a naked empath giant . . . wearing a bike helmet (Oh random loot tables, you never fail).

I liked building my character; the random creation makes for some interesting combinations, from the silly to the superb (we had a speedster cockroach - he could shift before and after an attack, had move speed 8, and could ignore terrain features . . . wicked). The way powers swap in and out after encounters makes things chaotic. I found it interesting and amusing, but the volatility could make many characters unreliable.

Overall, though, I liked it. If nothing else, definitely good for a laugh.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6

You know, yeti's (or yetei, or whatever) always seem to show up a lot with this game.

I think I'll love it more than the previous editions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

No yetis in our group. We had:

Rat swarm pyro
    Cockroach doppleganger (me)
    Android radioactive
    Plant doppleganger
    Hawkoid pyro
    Mental coercer plant.

So...2 plants, 2 pyrokineticists, and 2 dopplegangers. Would have been 3 dopplegangers, but the android player insisted on rerolling because she didn't want to be the same as everyone.

Omega tech seemed all-but pointless as we never really got any (despite lots of searches, maybe that was a GM error).

Most fun: either vomiting on monsters as an at-will attack, or rolling on the random junk tables and finding uses for the crap we'd find.

Edit: Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing, and I realize that optimization isn't really a concern, but does anyone else think the plant traits are sort of, well, crap? I mean, fire vulnerability in exchange for...not really anything.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-10-24 at 05:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

We got a new piece of Omega after every encounter. My party consisted of:

Me, the Grav 'troller mind coercer
    a electrokinetic yeti
    a felinoid doppleganger
    an android doppleganger
    a rat swarm empath
    a rat swarm something
    a plant mind coercer breaker
    a radioactive mind coercer

Our android was named Xerox, using voltron gestures to duplicate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm.

You know, I usually dislike 4th edition, but Gamma World is a game and setting I could actually see working very well with this. I've played a few one-shots in the past with an AD&D equivalent edition, and they were always a blast. And from everything I hear about 3rd edition, this actually sounds like a huge lot of fun.

Or I might just start a large 3.5 homebrew.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

i never played the older versions of GammaWorld and while we didn't have the gameday at our FLGS, i did play GW at my buddy's.

players:
    -Android Doppelganger, CTRL+V (me, a pseudo-megaman ripoff with a 64-pixel screen for a face and a chiptune-style voice)
    -Android Felinoid, FEL-IX (it was a "Feline Something Librarian, Mark IX". he rode around on a horse)
    -Empath Mindbreaker, Deanna Roy (a jerk-version Expy of a star trek character, or so i'm told since i know nothing of Star Trek. her Omega Tech was a robot dog based around Dr.Who's K-9. funny banter follows as the dog provides no useful information)

it was fun.

the empath was the assistant to the "mayor" of our small community and called upon my character, a salvage droid & the historian/librarian droid to go check out the mysterious explosions outside of town which have been causing problems for our traders.

after finding the burning wreck of half a pickup, we put the clamps on some murderous anthropomorphic badger salvagers and retrieved a space probe sent out by previous canadian prime minister Robert Borden in the 1910-20's (because world leaders have been working with aliens for a long time, you know) containing a mysterious topographical map of the eastern coast with a mysterious blip leading somewhere.

all for a scrap of 1960's New York Press newspaper. that and we kept the alien tech

it kinda puts D&D into perspective:
    -save our country and i'll give you your own fife!
    -save our kingdom and i'll give you thousands of gold!
    -save our town and i'll give you the sports section! (due to newspapers containing information on pre-big mistake culture & civilization)

it was silly and it's not something we'll probably play for a "serious" campaign, but as a pickup and play it's great.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I had fun playing at the Game Day, and I'm GMing for my friends tomorrow. One of the characters at the table was Penny, a Telekinetic/Radioactive, who used her telekinetic powers to have a large number of coins cling to her (heavy armor) and fly off at the enemy whenever needed (ranged weapon). (Whenever the GM called this character on initiative, he did *knock knock knock* "Penny?" *knock knock knock* "Penny?" *knock knock knock* "Penny?")

I wasn't too happy with my character for the game (Hypercognitive Empath) because I didn't match any of the attack stats for weapons and both my origin powers were encounter powers, so once I used those I was pretty much stuck making terrible ranged basic attacks. That is, until I drew the Load Lifter Harness Omega Tech and effectively became a giant crushing machine. Fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sploosh View Post
    Did I mention I was a yeti with a stop sign?
    I believe that this is the most important part of this post. Where else could you play a STOP sign-wielding-Yeti (except HoL, of course)?

I had little hope for the 4e-esque edition of Gamma World, but I may pick it up and give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #13

Look, I REALLY don't have time to learn another gaming system right now. Really. No radioactive yetis, no psychic swamp critters, no... a stop sign, you say?

All right, you win. I'm taking a long lunch tomorrow to pick it up.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hmm.

You know, I usually dislike 4th edition, but Gamma World is a game and setting I could actually see working very well with this. I've played a few one-shots in the past with an AD&D equivalent edition, and they were always a blast. And from everything I hear about 3rd edition, this actually sounds like a huge lot of fun.
    Yeah, for me 4e simply doesn't "feel" like D&D either. But for some reason, I can see the general mechanics working really well for Gamma World.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing, and I realize that optimization isn't really a concern, but does anyone else think the plant traits are sort of, well, crap? I mean, fire vulnerability in exchange for...not really anything.
    Yeah, the races aren't exactly even. Take a look at engineered human or felinoid and compare it to the plant and you have a pretty big gap. Then you can lack any weapon stat and end up with terrible attacks.

This isnt counting some people getting omega tech that gives you things like permenant resist 10 fire and lightning vs someone getting a one time bad power based on a stat you have a 5 in.

For example: One of our players has died twice in two sessions, her current character has terrible attack stats, low health, bad omegas and relatively weak racials.

On the other hand, my friend and I have great omegas, and relatively syngergistic origins. I'm a seismic yeti and I rolled an 18 in con so I am at max HP with resist 5 physical, and improved AC.

We got some great alphas and the two of us managed to defeat 8 even level skirmishers and a higher level commander after our two other gamers got killed in two turns due to terrible HP in the fight right before this.

We kill them and immediately get attacked by 4 even level artillery, with 4 additional appearing about 2 rounds apart for a total of about 20. Thanks to our alphas I was healing 10 a turn and between that and my friend's incredible damage resistance we managed to hit and run our way into winning.

Not really even.

That said, the game is still a blast.
    Last edited by Sploosh; 2010-10-25 at 01:57 PM.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

16. - Top - End - #16

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah, but with a well built deck, characters would improve. Having synergistic cards would allow for better performance even with low attack stats.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, I think that is definitely the next step. The island of choice in a sea of random.
    Last edited by Sploosh; 2010-10-25 at 02:37 PM.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Came across something that some of y'all might be interested in: a web-based, one-click character generator.

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Very barren. Needs more Stone Yeti!

20. - Top - End - #20

That character generator is pretty cool. I got a wagon, a draft horse, a pick-up and a generator with 8 hours of fuel. I'm starting a caravan.

Anyway, it seems from what I read here, they at least kept the "balance" from earlier editions. Which is great. In my game, we had a plant man able to fly, heal himself (which was fantastic, it was like the only healing power in the game, and very unlikely to get. The other possibility was spending a few weeks waiting for natural healing), touch an item and find out what happened with it for the last ~100 years and take double actions with his four arms, which meant that he carried four flintlock pistols which he could all shoot every turn. Then we had a turtle man who had the equivalent of plate armour, but no combat abilities and a fire-breathing wolfman. Those all weren't too bad, but it was entirely possible to roll horrible characters.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-10-26 at 01:57 AM.
    "

21. - Top - End - #21

SwashbucklerGuy

We ran healing where if you survived the combat, you're back to full, the second winds were awesome, our felinoid doppleganger needed that like every fight, poor fellow. How did your plant keep ammo around? I thought anymore than one shot per gun meant no ammo after the fight finished.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

RAW is heal full after every fight.

My main beef with the plant race is that, while other templates get at least a few traits, all plants get is +2 Fort and fire vulnerability. Oh, and their novice power is a 1/encounter. Seems like sort of a boring, short stick (pun semi-intended).
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-10-26 at 02:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Mind you, that wasn't 4e gamma world but the old game. I have no idea if the fluff is still the same, but the world was up to late medieval technology, you could buy swords, armour, flintlocks and ammo in shops. So he just had a bag of pistol balls.

I mostly mentioned this as an example of the game not being any more balanced in the earlier editions. This was... 3rd? 4th? Somewhere around that. Before it became d20, at least.

Edit: plants were awesome in that edition. You don't need to eat, which is a great help, and depending on your type, you get more bonuses. Let's see... heat adaption, free "Spines" mutation and living without much water as a cactus, free psychic mutations as a flower, massive bonus to mental resistance as a fungus...
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-10-26 at 02:41 AM.
    "

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh, well 7th plays way differently, then. Fun game, if you like rules light hilarity and a little TCG mixed into your TTRPG.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeah. That's what I mean, really. That old edition was a little weird... the combat was pretty fast-paced, with few rules, the setting and adventures were wacky, but then there were suddenly these pieces of pretty gritty rules in there, like running out of food and water, the very, very harsh radiation rules or that you basically had 60 or so HP, but only healed a handful per day.

Which is why I think 4E might do the setting and over the top pulp-feeling much more justice.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-10-26 at 02:45 AM.
    "

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Many more levels in badass, yes. It concentrates more on the fun parts of adventuring and downplays the unimportant things like natural healing.

27. - Top - End - #27

Sounds interesting but the booster packs of powers seems at best like a poor game mechanic to me, at worst it seems like a way for wizards to try and squeeze more money from customers. I mean how optional are the cards? Can I get away with not having any and play the game just fine or do you need them in order to actually play your character? If so I'll pass, it sounds so far like a game that doesn't do campaign mode well which is a shame, because I already have Kobolds ate my Baby for humorous randomized one shots.

28. - Top - End - #28

SwashbucklerGuy

You get, what? 80 cards in the game box? So you don't actually need to buy boosters, but if you want to "optimize" your Alpha/Omega draws, yeah you want some booster packs.

29. - Top - End - #29

Okay, question. Is the Gamma World box playable on it's own, or do I need the 4E core rules? if the former, it's a purchase I might consider, if I can get some online shop to mail it over here for a reasonable price.
    "

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

As for the game itself? I'm still waiting for my box to come in. I think the bookstore is keeping it until the other product I ordered comes in or something.

RE: The cards. Cheapskate that I am, this is going to be replaced with a percentile roll against a table thank you very much
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2010-10-26 at 02:05 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)