Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Alternatives to Dodge

I know Dodge is generally regarded as being a rather rubbish feat, even for what it unlocks.

So what are some good alternatives to Dodge? (I refer here specifically to feats that say that they count as Dodge for the purposes of qualifying for feats or PrC's.)
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Alternatives to Dodge

I know Desert Wind dodge is one of those, but I don't recall it being particularly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Desert Wind Dodge gives a bonus to AC and +1 fire damage on your attacks after moving 10 feet and counts as Dodge for the purpose of qualifying. Problem is, it requires knowledge of a Desert Wind Maneuver, and so probably wouldn't be usable for non-ToB users.

Expeditious Dodge gives +2 AC, but you have to move 40 feet.

I'd just ask the DM if he could just make Dodge give a flat +1 dodge AC, or have it scale up with level.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Luck of Heroes could be a fair replacement - flat +1 to AC and all saves. Prerequisite feats aren't supposed to be 100% super great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Midnight dodge, which is pretty much dodge, but can be increase by adding essentia, or you could consider the feat as this:You gain one essentia and count as having dodge.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

One thing to be wary of. The feats for which Dodge is a prereq, can be taken if you have Desertwind/Midnight/expeditious dodge. But some of them require you to designate your dodge target and give you bonuses against that target.
    If you can't actually declare a dodge target because you've got a variant, that later feat won't work.

I'm trying to remember the last subject for which that became a discussion, and I think it might have been in an updated Jack B Quick build.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Didn't someone recently put together a thread of all the alt feats they could find? I did a search but failed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    One thing to be wary of. The feats for which Dodge is a prereq, can be taken if you have Desertwind/Midnight/expeditious dodge. But some of them require you to designate your dodge target and give you bonuses against that target.
    If you can't actually declare a dodge target because you've got a variant, that later feat won't work.
    That has never been a concern for any of the reasons I've ever wanted to take dodge as a pre-req. Specifically, though, which feats, other than dodge itself, require you to use dodge's 'designate' function in order to work?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The Elusive Target feat, for one. Its two best functions (negating Power Attack, and forcing an enemy to hit its flanking buddy instead of you) will only function against the enemy targeted by your Dodge feat. The third use of the feat will still work, but that's easily the least useful part of the feat. I'm not aware of any others off the top of my head, but that's something.

Worth noting that Midnight Dodge will work with this kind of ability, since it still requires you to pick a target.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!