New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [PF] Druid Animal Companion Choices

In PF, can a druid choose animal other than those in the table listed as 'Animal Choices'? It says that those are supposed to be starting choices, and that the druid must begin play with one of them, but can a druid change their companion into something non-core or off the list? It's not exactly clear, but I see no reason why not.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Druid Animal Companion Choices

In DnD (I don't play pathfinder), there was a Sage Advice column (in Dragon Magazine, [at the time] published by Paizo) that addressed that issue. Long story short, it advised DMs to compare the power level against the 'alternate animal companions' list and make a decision as to what level it should be. I don't see why you couldn't start with an animal that was no better than the ones on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

In some 3.5 books they do expand the list. I know there's some in the It's x outside series(frostburn, stormwrack, etc), and in the PHB2. I think some monster manuals even expand in the the creature entries. Not sure if this applies to PF, though.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

probably not. they generally just want you to stay with those starting choices.

But as always ask you DM. If you can agree that the animal you want is worth -x to your druid level for companion purposes then you're golden.