New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Alter Self-How is it abused?

I've seen a lot of threads that mention Alter Self as an overpowered spell. Given its limitations, 5 hd, same type(usually humanoid), keep your own ability scores(so no added power there), no Ex. abilities, no Su. Abilities. So what's the big deal? What am I missing? What are the most serious abuses?
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Alter Self-How is it abused?

Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...for_Alter_Self
    Alter self handbook by PhaedrusXY
    should explain a bit.
    Edit. A ninja made me sad :(
    Last edited by Last Laugh; 2010-10-25 at 01:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"We need to get to the top of that edifice." *Alter Self: Raptoran* - Flight.

"The MacGuffin is stuck way down at the bottom of this huge body of water." *Alter Self: Sea Kin* -Swim speed and ability to function underwater.

etc.

Not to mention various natural attacks you can acquire by changing your type to, for instance, Shifter or Darfellan.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...for_Alter_Self
    Alter self handbook by PhaedrusXY
    should explain a bit.
    Edit. A ninja made me sad :(
    Swordsage, actually

Edit: As far as natural attacker go, gibbering mouther aregreat option if you have the abberation type (elan, synad and Daelkyr Half blood), 6 Natural attacks. at 4 HD
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2010-10-25 at 01:24 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yea, Alter Self is extremely strong when you're humanoid (high amounts of natural armor, fly/burrow/swim/climb speeds, skill bonuses, bonus feats) but downright abusive when you're an aberration or an outsider.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer Dragonforms, but they are only accessible throug dragonwrought kobolds, Shadow Wyrmling is my favorite by the way.
    Just call me Dusk

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Swordsage, actually

Edit: As far as natural attacker go, gibbering mouther aregreat option if you have the abberation type (elan, synad and Daelkyr Half blood), 6 Natural attacks. at 4 HD
    Meh. Six natural attacks that do 1 hp damage. Unless you have SA or similar bonus damage, you've just become an annoyance. Plus you have no limbs with which to use somatic components, so a lot of spells are not castable while in this form.

I looked over the linked thread, and didn't see any really game breaking abuses.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Yea, Alter Self is extremely strong when you're humanoid (high amounts of natural armor, fly/burrow/swim/climb speeds, skill bonuses, bonus feats) but downright abusive when you're an aberration or an outsider.
    Reaaaaaallllly?

Mind giving me few ideas? It's not like I'm playing a succubus in our current campaign... *whistles nonchallantly*
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thompur View Post
    I looked over the linked thread, and didn't see any really game breaking abuses.
    Alter Self is broken in the same way as spells like Knock, Polymorph or Web. It replaces or mitigates the effect of another party member(rogue/fighter) or renders an encounter easy to defeat with a spell. Alter Self->Raptoran(or winged elf) and a crossbow makes you immune to all enemies who can't fly/don't have ranged weapons. Dragonwrought Kobolds with Alter Self->Dragon(any variety) are equally immune. Any creature type with Alter Self->High Natural Armor creature and a longspear will usually replace the prototypical sword-and-board fighter with ease.

Alter Self, by itself, isn't broken. Alter Self when your enemy has only melee weapons, or Alter Self when your enemy has low attack bonuses, makes it broken.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Reaaaaaallllly?

Mind giving me few ideas? It's not like I'm playing a succubus in our current campaign... *whistles nonchallantly*
    Outsider types (including Native Outsiders) can become Dwarven Ancestors (MM3) and gain +17 Na and the large size category. I use it in a lot of gish builds.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Alter Self is broken in the same way as spells like Knock, Polymorph or Web. It replaces or mitigates the effect of another party member(rogue/fighter) or renders an encounter easy to defeat with a spell. Alter Self->Raptoran(or winged elf) and a crossbow makes you immune to all enemies who can't fly/don't have ranged weapons. Dragonwrought Kobolds with Alter Self->Dragon(any variety) are equally immune. Any creature type with Alter Self->High Natural Armor creature and a longspear will usually replace the prototypical sword-and-board fighter with ease.Alter Self, by itself, isn't broken. Alter Self when your enemy has only melee weapons, or Alter Self when your enemy has low attack bonuses, makes it broken.
    I disagree here, because the "Altered" spell caster will still have his/her crappy BAB.

Most of the "abuses" that I see are theoretical, and easy to prepare for by a reasonably seasoned and prepared DM. Also, a lot of abuses assume that either the DM allows all materials, or that someone in the group owns all the books.
    What abuses have you actually seen in actual play in your games?
    Last edited by thompur; 2010-10-25 at 02:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Meh. Six natural attacks that do 1 hp damage. Unless you have SA or similar bonus damage, you've just become an annoyance. Plus you have no limbs with which to use somatic components, so a lot of spells are not castable while in this form.

You retain your own Str so you can be dealing a lot, lot more than 1 point hit. E.g. use another 10 min/level spell, Bull's Strength, and play someone with 18 base Str (some manner of a future Gish). Suddenly it's 7 per hit. Which is rather nice for level 4; full attack for 7*6 = 42 points, something most level 4 Fighters and Barbarians have trouble doing even expending all their resources. And your To Hit will be +8 or something, which isn't half bad.

You'll also have +8 Natural Armor on top of your Mage Armor and Dex which means you could easily have a mid 20s AC, way more than basically anyone level 4 generally has.

If you happen to be an outsider, Ravid is a nice form. +15 Natural Armor? Cool. It may or may not grant flight; it's one of the most convoluted creatures on that note, though it probably shouldn't. Add to that 3 different natural weapons and you're good. Trogdolyte (and outside Core, Tren) are +6 and +8 Natural Armor options for Humanoids and, of course, you have access to flight in Avariels or whatever.

The point is, the spell does way more than a 2nd level spell should, and is head and shoulders above all other effects on that level. And it's 10 min/level. For comparison, Fly on level 3 is 1 min/level. Alter Self allows flight, burrowing, swim speeds and combat buffs (notably immense AC bonuses). So...just figure that one out for yourself.

I disagree here, because the "Altered" spell caster will still have his/her crappy BAB.
    ...you do realize that that's +2 to hit at this point? Like, the same e.g. Bull's Strength grants in a bonus? Honestly, low level attacks are stat checks, plain and simple. All that matters is whether your To Hit stat is good or bad. BAB really just doesn't factor in all that much.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-10-25 at 02:22 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    Outsider types (including Native Outsiders) can become Dwarven Ancestors (MM3) and gain +17 Na and the large size category. I use it in a lot of gish builds.
    Actually it's +18 NA and -1 for size, but it comes out the same. Okay, yeah, that's kind of broken.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Reaaaaaallllly?

I happen to be playing a succubus in my current game. A succubus gets alternate form, which is not quite the same as alter self, but here are some of the best forms:

Stealth:
    skulk
    dark creeper
    dark stalker
    kobold

Combat:
    varag
    dark creeper
    dark stalker

Aerial:
    hadozee
    raptoran

Aquatic:
    darfellan
    locathath
    merfolk

Social:
    Half-elf

I find that skulk form + Mindsight feat + at-will suggestion is an excellent platform for stealthily moving about the battlefield without being noticed, using Mindsight + telepathy to function as the party AWACS, keeping all party members informed of the locations of all enemies, while sowing a little chaos and disruption with suggestion, which I can deliver via telepathy to avoid revealing my location.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-25 at 02:29 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You retain your own Str so you can be dealing a lot, lot more than 1 point hit. E.g. use another 10 min/level spell, Bull's Strength, and play someone with 18 base Str (some manner of a future Gish). Suddenly it's 7 per hit. Which is rather nice for level 4; full attack for 7*6 = 42 points, something most level 4 Fighters and Barbarians have trouble doing even expending all their resources. And your To Hit will be +8 or something, which isn't half bad.
    Put it in a Wondrous Item, scroll, or wand, and give it to the Rogue with her Use Magic Device Skill. Oh look... 6 attacks... and she's flanking... and has the Craven feat.

That's the gift that keeps on giving, right up until you just start Polymorphing her into a Hydra instead. 8 heads, 10 heads, 12 heads... Nom, nom, nom... and don't forget Haste.
    Last edited by gbprime; 2010-10-25 at 02:36 PM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.