New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default What kind of stupid stuff have you let fly in your games?

'Cause I wanna hear about it. Did you DM for a Fistbeard Beardfist build? Is there a Pervirtuoso in your party affecting the game world? Drowning to heal? Does your Vampire: the Requiem game feature all the physics problems of moving at Celerity 5?

In short, what kind of stupid(ly awesome) stuff have you let fly - or gotten past the DM/GM/ST - in game?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What kind of stupid stuff have you let fly in your games?

"Battleship Killing Man Portable Laser Bazooka."

Nuff Said.

It was fired precisely twice. Once, it was used in defense of the engine room on the ship. This is, of course, the ship killing laser being fired inside the PC's own vessel. They had to buy a new one, it was a serious down grade.

The second time, it was a total TPK, and ended the campaign. It also killed about a thousand bystanders, going off in the middle of a crowded city street.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, there was that one session...

4. - Top - End - #4

letting the rogue loot fire activated blasting gel from a sealed container that he smashed open...just before the rest of the party lit the vehicle transporting the gel on fire..the rogue was lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave a Level 1 party a barrel full of Fire of Orthanc once...

In my defense, it was one of the first games I ever DM'd.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-27 at 12:50 AM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The Holy Super Soaker - Decanter of Endless Water + Item (in this case nozzle) of continuous Bless Water.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Back in my days of being Naive and Inexperienced, I let a stupid amount of stuff fly. I suppose a good example is letting a character use Captain James T Kirk whose shirt was ripped (Thus making him invincible) as a shield. This happened in a D&D Game after a trip to the Plane of Madness.

These days, I'm an experienced "Yes and" style of DM, only shutting things down when they don't make any sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Allowing the artificer in the party to craft lots of 'blue sticky grenades' at a fast rate. That is to say, he made a good case for being able to craft more than one item a day if it costs less than 1000 GP to make. They became the default weapon of the party for a full level and a half till the artificer accidently blew one up while carrying about twenty of them on his person... Cue a lot of rolling and all but one of them blowing up in a cascade effect.

The party was in a desert and the surrounding area was turned to pure glass to serve as an impromptu gravesite. The player thought it was a rather funny death as he played his character as notoriously accident prone.

Later on in the same game, there was also the time when the party wizard got really crazy with a Rod of Wonder and decided it would be a brilliant idea to poke a rune depicting lawful and abjurative magic with an item that is basically 'CHAOS!' in a stick. We don't talk about what happened next.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let a PC use a Daern's Instant Fortress as a weapon.

Creatures caught in the area as it expanded took lots of damage.

He was indoors in a castle, and since the item dug into the ground...he left gaping holes everywhere.

Even worse, he decided the command word for the item was "Fear My Erection!"
    Read my D&D Webcomic!
    Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
    www.familiar-ground.com

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I've actually not seen anything totally ridiculous in mine. The most off-the-wall, I think, was when the party's elven fighter decided to seduce the enemy's leader to stop a fight that would've been deadly on both sides. Sounds like an interesting strategy, right? But it would've been a little less ridiculous if the enemy hadn't been kobolds! (Both sides got away with their lives.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure, you can craft Drow knockout poison with a save DC equal to the craft DC. Sure, you can decide the craft DC yourself."

We eventually renegotiated that one, but damn, what was I thinking?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I once let a guy play a Were-Bearbarian with Vow of Poverty. I'm still not quite sure how he did it with a straight face, though. Now, there's a trick I need to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I once let a guy play a Were-Bearbarian with Vow of Poverty. I'm still not quite sure how he did it with a straight face, though. Now, there's a trick I need to learn.
    That player must have the most epic of poker faces in that case. He is an example that we all can learn from.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

My DM is letting be play a gestalt druid//cleric anthro bat with fleshraker companion alongside a monk, 2 fighters and a warlock. And I use DMM:persist.

I feel dirty putting that into words.

To be fair, 2/3 of my spells are used for overcoming the failings that are the fail of 2 fighters and a monk, and the other 3rd is used on healing.

15. - Top - End - #15

I think my largest gaff, was in a Cyberpunk adventure I was running.
    I feel this needs a little backstory.

The PC's were trying to shut down an evil warlord's operations, while not getting themselves wiped out. During this, they discovered the existance of an orbital laser, which the government had designated "Project Uriel". After a hard couple of sessions, they found a 'target' for Uriel - i.e., an electronic signal generator that gave the satellite something to aim at.
    The idea was, for the group to smuggle this target into a heavily fortified base, and turn it on.

My gaff? Due to my arbitrary ruling on it's complexity, and mis-judging my players' skill allocations, they were able to duplicate it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    My gaff? Due to my arbitrary ruling on it's complexity, and mis-judging my players' skill allocations, they were able to duplicate it.
    Ouch.

I let the party assassin get away with a homebrewed feat that let him exchange sneat attack die for death attack DC at 1:1, kicking total DC to 33 if he dumped all sneak attack at level 16. Not that bad.

Then he critted one of the major villans. Telling blow and my earlier ruling on this feat that a critical sneak attack made double sneak attack pushed the DC to 42. In a low-op campaign. The villan dropped dead instantly...
    Last edited by Gahrer; 2010-10-27 at 10:17 AM.
    In the light of all your burning bridges, does the world seem like a warmer place to you?

When in doubt: Assasinate everyone.

The Burning mage

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The druid in my game came from an earth mote. I let him design the town that lives up there. They're all rednecks and he named the earth mote 'Philadelphia.'
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomeWizardGuy

One of my regular games really wanted time travel at one point. I really didn't want to go into it, since I didn't have the period in question written out nearly well enough for my tastes. As such, I made a fiat about the verbal and somatic components and made the players carry them out as a substitution for a spellcraft check in hopes of buying time.

Now we have to do the Time Warp every time someone wants to cast Time Reaver.

(As an aside, we decided to watch the RHPS instead of finishing that session, so I had time to write out the background.)
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-10-27 at 10:31 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh...Time travel. I forgot about that game.

I let characters go through a wormhole into the early 2000's (actually milennia in the past for that particular campaign). The produced a bunch of gold pieces at a sporting goods store and asked, "What can we buy with these?" Ahhh...good times.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I was playing a sorcerer in a 3.5 game, and one of our PC's had drowned a few rounds ago. So, I hauled him onto shore, and took off his shirt. I cast the spell shocking grasp, then clapped my hands together, rubbed them really fast, yelled CLEAR!!!!, and slammed my hands down on his chest. I successfully revived him using shocking grasp as a defibrilator.
    Soooooo... About that elf lady.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Remember kids: Stabbing someone in the gut five times is peaceful if you previously hit them over the head.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So we were playing a rules-light Homebrew system I made called "What hath Science Wrought!", kind of set in a post-apocalyptic future full of mad scientists.
    A zombie apocalypse hit the What's Left of the World's Fair, the PC's were trying to get off the island the Fair was held on. They ended up going up against a Mad Scientist who had gone crazy (Well, crazier) and was attacking everything.
    One of the PC's (A Mad Scientist) Had, using the poorly designed yet very entertaining Mad Science rules, used gas leaking from a broken experimental teleporter to construct a powerful weapon he didn't fully understand, and a very powerful shield. The Shield in question could take considerable damage, and had a very fast recharge, however when it broke it would teleport the user a random distance and direction. If it tried to teleport him somewhere something else was, big problems would result.
    Well, long story short, his shield teleported him into the boss. This wasn't something I had planned for or either of us were trying to bring about. The dice just fell and it happened.

I ruled that he ended up combining with the boss, the result was hilarious.

It's a very silly system, and we had lots of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I once Dm'ed a session where they fell through a portal into a Halo 3 campaign mission (The Covenant to be exact). They made it as far as the Scarabs before they were promptly all vaporized.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So we were playing a rules-light Homebrew system I made called "What hath Science Wrought!", kind of set in a post-apocalyptic future full of mad scientists.
    A zombie apocalypse hit the What's Left of the World's Fair, the PC's were trying to get off the island the Fair was held on. They ended up going up against a Mad Scientist who had gone crazy (Well, crazier) and was attacking everything.
    One of the PC's (A Mad Scientist) Had, using the poorly designed yet very entertaining Mad Science rules, used gas leaking from a broken experimental teleporter to construct a powerful weapon he didn't fully understand, and a very powerful shield. The Shield in question could take considerable damage, and had a very fast recharge, however when it broke it would teleport the user a random distance and direction. If it tried to teleport him somewhere something else was, big problems would result.
    Well, long story short, his shield teleported him into the boss. This wasn't something I had planned for or either of us were trying to bring about. The dice just fell and it happened.

I ruled that he ended up combining with the boss, the result was hilarious.

It's a very silly system, and we had lots of fun.
    Is said system posted in the HB section? I must have this. For SCIENCE!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Is said system posted in the HB section? I must have this. For SCIENCE!
    Not yet, but it could be. The thing is, it's very VERY rules light. I have some general stats, but nothing specific. I made all the characters we've used so far, usually just making stuff up. I also don't have a crafting system (Though I have ideas for it once I have a base). So far the only crafting we'd done is Mad Science, wherein I would see the roll, decide what the player had built based on the roll, their intent, and what they were using, and not tell them until they actually pushed the button and turned it on.
    I also have a "Gone Horribly Wrong" table, with everything from "dosn't alway work" to "Becomes sentient and wants to kill you"

Edit: For example, the weapon he made had several functions, it could fire some disruptive tele-gas, utilize the "Dolphin Cannon" (Teleported in a Dolphin and flung it at high speeds), the Porpoise Generator (Teleported in a porpoise ontop of a foe), and the now legendary close range weapon known simply as the Torsoporter.

The other player had a Sword that cut time. We just made up stuff she could do with it.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-10-27 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

i was in a game just a couple months ago, the people i was playing with were all new to the concept but the DM, a good friend, and me. so there was 3 that hadnt played before... we thought we'd teach them, but we were wrong.

long story short, within 30 minutes of playing the party was running from 'overtly large' eagles i beleive was the DM's term. and we had no bows but one oversized bone bow, carried by me and the halfing. with just a few arrows to go with. so one of the new chars (a ranger) gets the idea of tieing the halfing to one of the yard long arrows, and using the rest of the party to shoot the bow and fire at the eagles... we laughed but allowed it... rolled a natural 20 it to hit... the first eagle was down, then halfing managed to jump from one eagle to another (rolling 17 and 18 conversly)

he was hensforth known... as the trapise midget

26. - Top - End - #26

Once, in a Dark Heresy game I ran, the party techpriest teleported an alien city back in time and into space. He did this by very carefull, over the course of several hours of trial and error, figuring out how to operate an eldritch artifact that slowly drained sanity, but allowed major manipulation of space-time.

The best part: I improved the session. I hadn't expected them to keep playing with the gizmo after they lost a little sanity.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, to begin with, I'm DM'ing for a half-orc bard, and an elf barbarian who was raised by wolves name "Fist of the North Star".

So, on the first real encounter, the following happened: The elf barbarian beheaded a bandit, who's head gave the half-orc ammo to throw at another bandit, who turned in rage to give the other elf enough of a target to headshot him. The party mage had also summoned a badger, that decided that the head bandit was a mate and rape the hell out of him.

Oh, that and a gnome got really, really interested in speading the half-orc's bagpipes as a legit source of music.

My players are amazing. :D
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: For example, the weapon he made had several functions, it could fire some disruptive tele-gas, utilize the "Dolphin Cannon" (Teleported in a Dolphin and flung it at high speeds), the Porpoise Generator (Teleported in a porpoise ontop of a foe), and the now legendary close range weapon known simply as the Torsoporter.

The other player had a Sword that cut time. We just made up stuff she could do with it.
    I read that as the "Dolph Cannon," the first time. I laughed so hard I cried. Then I read it again. It was still funny, just not as funny as picturing Dolph Lundgren getting flung out of a cannon at high speeds, over, and over, and over.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I also have a "Gone Horribly Wrong" table, with everything from "dosn't alway work" to "Becomes sentient and wants to kill you"
    I need this table. Get it posted, stat! Also the rest of the system looks cool too.

And I can't think of anything particularly zany that I've let my players get away with when they probably shouldn't have. They did try to win a gladiatorial tournament by cross-dressing and seducing their opponents once though. In the middle of a tavern. With cocktail napkins and a REALLY good bluff check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Seriously, BRC. Let me know when it's up in HB. DO WANT!