Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Girl Genius IX: The Unstoppable Thread

Previously on Girl Genius:

The Jäger Generals are exploring the intricacies of international diplomacy over a nice glass of tea. Gil is discovering that he had more in common with Boba Fett than he ever dreamed could be possible. Agatha is being taken away from it all by Tarvek. And Higgs and Zola are busy having a philosophical discussion on what happens when two unstoppable forces collide.

And hey, whadda ya know, we're still in the Castle.

Links to Previous Threads
    Girl Genius! (original thread)
    Girl Genius II
    Girl Genius III: Nize Thread!
    Girl Genius IV: Because SCIENCE! is my mistress
    Girl Genius V: Madre de Diodes!
    Girl Genius VI: Der Pestle in Der Kestle
    Girl Genius VII: Get on the Slab, I Want to Get to Work!
    Girl Genius: VIII Will Show Them All!

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF @ Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (Updated sporadically)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the entries can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Often will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    The News Page on the Girl Genius website. (updated slightly more frequently than the Studio Foglio LJ page)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil Foglio's LJ page. (recently updated with a travelogue of the Foglios trip to Australia)
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-10-27 at 11:40 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius IX: The Unstoppable Thread

Well this proves Higgs isn't human! I like him better even more now! I'm voting for... hmmm.... do constructs feel pain? Maybe some kind of Jager?

Edit: Uh... first post yay?
    Last edited by Lillith; 2010-10-27 at 03:51 AM.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

We know Higgs feels pain from his introduction, unless he was faking it the whole time - which would be awesome, I'll admit.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Noble Higgs and his beloved Zeetha , laying down their lives so Agatha can escape. Such short, sweet time together.
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

He's going to need a lot of fixing.
    Also, I will be incredibly distressed if Zeetha dies.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Higgs, Higgs, he's the man, if he can't beat her no-one can!

Also, Zeetha must live. If she doesn't, Agatha and the umpteen other Sparks in the castle must make it so.

Higgs and Zeetha is the only (potential) coupling in this comic that I truly like, or have liked in a webcomic in a while.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-27 at 08:13 AM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, daym.

So, can we unite Higgs and Zeetha into one construct?
    There's always the chance that Higgs is a construct to begin with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah. I would still like him to be a normal human, but that is looking mighty unlikely by now.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Bah! Zola is merely unstoppable. Higgs is The Unstoppable Higgs. Capitalization says that Higgs wins.
    Last edited by Balance; 2010-10-27 at 09:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Higg's delayed reaction is him remembering that he should react in some way to being stabbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Higg's delayed reaction is him remembering that he should react in some way to being stabbed.
    That's how I read it too. If he were actually hurting in a major way, it wouldn't be normal size text in a normal word balloon with a question mark; it would be large bold text in a spiky word balloon with an exclamation mark. It also wouldn't have the "..." before the "ouch" indicating a delay.

Silly Zola, you're going up against the original "unstoppable" character. Your temporary drug-given unstoppability is second rate and will not prevail.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Well this proves Higgs isn't human! I like him better even more now! I'm voting for... hmmm.... do constructs feel pain? Maybe some kind of Jager?

Edit: Uh... first post yay?
    RE constructs: Punch and Judy screamed when von Pinn tore them apart, and von Pinn herself was obviously hurting after Agatha hit her with the Castle. So I would say, 'Yes'. Unless they're constructed to be pain-free.

I wonder how long Movit #11 lasts. Movit #6 kept Tarvek going for several hours, but it may be the more effect it has, the shorter the potion's run time is. Whatever, given how much damage Higgs is doing to her on top of the stress the greatly increased strength, speed, and endurance must be causing her body, I would imagine that unless Zola has an ace up her sleeve, she's not going to survive this...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I read it as though he hadn't felt pain in so long that he was surprised when he felt it. Almost as if "Ouch? Huh. I'm not supposed to feel that!"
    “A long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.” - Chaucer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I would imagine that unless Zola has an ace up her sleeve, she's not going to survive this...
    Oh please, please, please let it be so!
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, are Zola's eyes starting to fill with blood? Her sclera aren't looking so hot.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder how long Movit #11 lasts. Movit #6 kept Tarvek going for several hours, but it may be the more effect it has, the shorter the potion's run time is. Whatever, given how much damage Higgs is doing to her on top of the stress the greatly increased strength, speed, and endurance must be causing her body, I would imagine that unless Zola has an ace up her sleeve, she's not going to survive this...
    Given how hard Higgs hits (Remember Otila?), I'm guessing as soon as the Movit wears off, Zola's going to crumple like a broken rag doll.

If Higgs managed to score a few better placed hits (all the movit and willpower in the world isn't going to make an arm bend if you've broken the humerus or snapped the elbow), then Zola would be in worse condition now.
    Unfortunately he focused most of his blows to her well conditioned head (I'm surprised he hasn't broken her nose yet, so I'm guessing movit#11 gives some durability), so she's still going.

A pity he didn't hit her hard enough to rattle her brain around - that would have put her down (despite what Violetta says).

Edit: I just realised that Higgs might have snapped Zola's elbow or ulna/radius already - it'd certainly explain the odd hand position.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2010-10-27 at 11:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Higgs' hand shaking, the grimace of pain, this really isn't looking good.

But I'm hanging my hat on the point that Zola is "unstoppable" (with quotes) while Higgs has always been The Unstoppable Airman Higgs. But this could be another Foglio blind lead. Arg.

I fully support the thread name selection whatever the outcome, be it celebratory of Higgs victory or in memorial...

I''m betting we get one more page of Higgs vs. Zola where either Higgs falls down, Higgs rallies (yes please) or Violetta intervenes, and then we cut to Agatha, Othar or an outside story thread. They could cut away now, too and leave the suspense hanging.
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2010-10-27 at 11:31 AM.
    "It's just a good thing one of us has a death ray!" - Agatha

"First lesson. Every princess needs a battle axe." - Zeetha

"I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post
    Higgs' hand shaking, the grimace of pain, this really isn't looking good.

But I'm hanging my hat on the point that Zola is "unstoppable" (with quotes) while Higgs has always been The Unstoppable Airman Higgs. But this could be another Foglio blind lead. Arg.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This plot serves no purpose if Higgs wins. It only makes sense to show us how much we should fear Zola. She has more things up her sleeve than an octopus, is stronger than the team's most powerful fighters, and is craftier than Lucrezia. That way when she confronts Agatha and is defeated, we can all exhale in relief.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

It does still serve a purpose if Higgs wins:

Spoiler
    Show

It got Agatha rushing off to sort out the castle in double-quick time, and it also leaves Zeetha requiring urgent Sparky attention in order to survive. Both those will probably become significant shortly.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Higgs can feel pain? And all it takes is a sword trough his chest?

But I also don't think Higgs can win (for plot reasons). Or at least he will be slowed down enough for Zola to get after Agatha.

And interesting fact: Zola still has an soft spot for Gil. Even if it benefits her to let him die, she puts saving him before killing Agatha and getting her storm king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This plot serves no purpose if Higgs wins. It only makes sense to show us how much we should fear Zola. She has more things up her sleeve than an octopus, is stronger than the team's most powerful fighters, and is craftier than Lucrezia. That way when she confronts Agatha and is defeated, we can all exhale in relief.

We don't like it. They should know by now that we don't like it. But whatever, they're committed to it by writing themselves into a corner.

Let's just hope they don't lollygag with it to rub it into our faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    We don't like it. They should know by now that we don't like it. But whatever, they're committed to it by writing themselves into a corner.

I... I like it.

I'm fairly sure we're leading up to a Higgs Reveal here. Zola is pretty much assured to die at this point (I'm betting on Gil stabbing her) but not before forcing Higgs to fully reveal his True Power.

Whether or not Higgs and/or Zeetha live or dies is still very much up in the air, of course. But hey, that's Foglio for you!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-10-27 at 02:03 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I will point out that while a few people on this thread have been grousing about the length of the Castle Arc(s) (and the believability of Zola), it's not at all clear that there is overall hostility to the length of the Castle Arc(s) (and the believability of Zola) in the Greater Girl Genius Fandom. I've seen a bit of complaining over at TV Tropes, for instance. OTOH I haven't heard a peep at the various LJ communites out there.

So this might be more a case of YMMV, than anything else.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would imagine that unless Zola has an ace up her sleeve, she's not going to survive this...
    Really? I never would have guessed.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I don't get.

Zola can't die, the Lucrezia-in-a-box trick has had no impact yet.
    Zeetha can't die, she still has to play a role with Gil (about Skifander) and with Dupree (about the pirate fortress).
    Higgs can't die, he still has to show us what he really is and why it mattered.

In addition, Gil, Agatha and Moloch have perfect plot armor at least until they find the time window system.

So, what is the narrative purpose of this fight? I guess it is forcing Higgs to reveal what he is, which will force Zola to use her temporary unstoppableness to flee rather than kill. It seems to me to be the only outcome that'd justify this fight without making it a waste of plotlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That's what I don't get.

Zeetha can't die, she still has to play a role with Gil (about Skifander) and with Dupree (about the pirate fortress).

In addition, Gil, Agatha and Moloch have perfect plot armor at least until they find the time window system.

So, what is the narrative purpose of this fight? I guess it is forcing Higgs to reveal what he is, which will force Zola to use her temporary unstoppableness to flee rather than kill. It seems to me to be the only outcome that'd justify this fight without making it a waste of plotlines.
    Oh, she can still die and contribute. After all, some cryptic last words drawn from The Other's memories might throw a little more fuel on the fire - so to speak

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That's what I don't get.

That would be a perfectly acceptable outcome, though.

I sincerely hope you're right on all accounts. Especially Zeetha. She's always been one of my favorite characters, but on the other hand, her relationship to Agatha has never really been... fleshed out (especially the part about them being close and caring for each other).
    This is a bad sign - I find that, in general, the characters that writers know will die will be more superficiously characterized.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    This is a bad sign - I find that, in general, the characters that writers know will die will be more superficiously characterized.
    Unless you're Joss Whedon - or Phil Foglio, I suspect

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point. I don't want to beat the ex-equine.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I... I like it.
    You like the dragging out of things for more padding in order to flesh herself out that Zola represents? Wiggy.

Wait a minute, you also said you were looking forward to Zola dying here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide