New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] How to Optimize Fell Drain

So we decide one day that we like handing out negative levels like candy apples on Halloween, especially when the candy apples are full of negative energy.

How best does one deliver the payload at a lower level? (At higher levels it doesn't really matter what you're doing anyways. )

Assuming we are intelligent and take Practical Metamagic or some other reducer, making Fell Drain a mere +1, what can we attach it to for maximum effect?

Any sort of AoE seems good on paper, but remember that repeated negative levels on one target are far more effective than a lot of negative levels spread out. Also, your DM's head has a far lower chance of exploding from keeping track of all of them.

At 1st level, we have the classic Sonic Snap. One target takes one damage, no save, a random deafen effect, and a negative level.

At 2nd level, we have a few more options. Magic Missile may or may not force massive negative level drain with repeated hits. An interesting spell called Path of Frost from Dragon Magic lets one lay down squares of terrain that cause damage as well, again with no save. Although the movement-hindering effect requires a mere DC 10 Balance check to dodge, laying down a series of squares around an enemy and boxing him in with your BSFs can be a source of many negative levels to come.

At 3rd level, our choices begin multiplying rapidly. Scorching Ray can do the same thing as Magic Missile, and Melf's Acid Arrow can do it over time as well. Cloud of Knives, although a little harder to hit with, can give you a lot of potential negative levels over time.

Just remember to burn the bodies when you're done... or maybe catapult them over the walls of your enemies. Remember, the wightpocolypse depends on you.

What other low level spells hit multiple times in a short span of time?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: [3.5] How to Optimize Fell Drain

A target can only be affected by fell drain once per casting of a spell.

In that respect, I really like magic missile. No save, no attack roll, so it's going to always hit unless you're dealing with shield or something with immunity to low-level spells. The best part is the multiple targets -- group debuffs, especially if you can boost your CL high enough to get extra missiles.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post

In that respect, I really like magic missile. No save, no attack roll, so it's going to always hit unless you're dealing with shield or something with immunity to low-level spells. The best part is the multiple targets -- group debuffs, especially if you can boost your CL high enough to get extra missiles.
    ...Force Missile Mage?

Oh dear lord, that'd be havoc and a half.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2010-10-27 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Use that trick in Shadowcraft Mage to up the level of MM if it's immunity to low level spells. Then there's the feat Arcane Thesis, and a class which lets you specialize in force. And MM works.

A Wizard built around MM.. Then there's that feat in Lost Empires or some such that allows you to break down high level spells into lots of smaller ones. Think how many MM's you can have!

For true MM fans, only the best.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

For multiple simultaneous hits, such as Magic Missile or Scorching Ray, this is correct. I'm pretty sure multiple applications of damage over separate rounds, such as Flaming Sphere or Acid Arrow, do apply an extra negative level each time they deal damage, though.

With that in mind, Thunderhead. Level 1, single target, round/level, 1 damage per round, separate reflex save to negate each round. With Practical Metamagic adding Fell Drain to this only costs a level 2 slot, and the negative levels can get really nasty with high caster level and/or Extend Spell against anyone without a sky-high reflex save.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    ...Force Missile Mage?

Oh dear lord, that'd be havoc and a half.
    I'm actually in a PbP game right now as an Evoker 5 / Incantatrix 1 / Force Missile Mage 2 planning on advancing FMM all the way, then back to Incantatrix, if it goes that long. Arcane Thesis magic missile and I'm casting fell drain magic missile out of level 2 slots, and empowered fell drain magic missile out of level 3 slots, with 5 missiles each time (4 from caster level 7 plus a bonus missile from FMM).

Once I manage level 5 slots, look for twin fell drain magic missile to be the order of the day. I'm picking up Residual Metamagic as my next feat, so I can abuse metamagic even further.

It's debuff city.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

(4 from caster level 7 plus a bonus missile from FMM)
    That's caster level 7 just from class levels, right? Arcane Thesis adds +2 CL for your thesis spell, so you should have CL 9 for MM, giving 5 from caster level +1 from FMM for a total of 6 missiles.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I like the idea of a fell drain cloud of knives. In fact, you could persist that and do it all day as a free action. How many spells could be persisted like that? I can imagine a character with fell drain persistent cloud of knives, fell drain persistent holy star, and fell drain persistent lightning ring. Doesn't storm tower give you an at-will attack as well? What options would a divine character have for reducing the metamagic cost of Fell Drain, apart from the Dweomerkeeper capstone?
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't Lesser globe of immunity ruin all your fun?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That's caster level 7 just from class levels, right? Arcane Thesis adds +2 CL for your thesis spell, so you should have CL 9 for MM, giving 5 from caster level +1 from FMM for a total of 6 missiles.
    I... completely missed that part of Arcane Thesis, I was so focused on MM reduction. I'll bring it up to the DM after the current fight (which is basically just mopping up at this point) is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Doesn't Lesser globe of immunity ruin all your fun?
    That's why I also keep dispel magic handy.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I see, good idea
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    What options would a divine character have for reducing the metamagic cost of Fell Drain, apart from the Dweomerkeeper capstone?
    You mean something like...Divine Metamagic? Hmmmmmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Not viable if all turn attempts are already being allocated to DMM: Persist.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Get more Nightsticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

As the size of your nightstick collection increases, the number of spellcasting problems it is incapable of solving approaches zero?
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-28 at 10:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, you can only use one [Divine] feat at a time, so you couldn't simultaneously apply DMM Persist AND DMM Fell Draining to a single spell.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think he was going to be Persisting and Fell Draining the same spells, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Classic cost reduction for arcane casters is: Arcane Thesis on your spell of choice (MM is my favorite) combined with +0 metamagics (for example the extremly useful Invisible Spell). You would need two additional feats for this, but it's a viable option, since every next +0 metamagic will reduce the overal cost even further making room for more expensive metamagics like Twin Spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    Get more Nightsticks.
    Ahh... the divine version of Moar Dakka.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    I don't think he was going to be Persisting and Fell Draining the same spells, though.
    I was totally going to do that. And Twin them too, if I can pull it off. Who wouldn't want to be able to hand out negative levels all day long? There's a spell in Complete Champion that creates a phantom knight to guard you too...he'd be even niftier if he handed out negative levels on hit.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ZOMG! Fell Draining Legion of Sentinals.

All attempts to escape will be met by no fewer than 3 automatic negative levels. Attempting to remain inside and perform distracting activities (like spellcasting) will result in many many many more.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Just stick invisible spell on the legion of sentinels and they won't know what hit them
    Would As the Frost (PhbII?) hand out AoE negative levels every round? Doubled for your familiar, you gain immunity to the cold damage.
    Fell-Drain Fire Wall is neat.
    Shard Storm is AoE which triggers on each of your turns for 3d6 damage, you can suppress it as a free action for 1 round. Reflex half, Spell resistance yes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

there are a lot of druid spells that can make amusing use of fell drain. creeping cold (especially if extended) can hand out one a level regardless of saves.
    Quillfire and Spiritual weapon would also work. and decomposition is just funny with this.

Fire shield and the ilk would work for wizard-types, as would death armour at a slightle lower level.

Chill touch would work too. especially when factoring in mm school focus and spectral hand.

one fun thing you can do is combo with other mm feats like Icy Spell and black lore of moil to hammer really wide areas.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    ZOMG! Fell Draining Legion of Sentinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    Just stick invisible spell on the legion of sentinels and they won't know what hit them
    OMG that is...so rude. Imma do it. So, what good BC spells deal damage when you trigger them, and can be used with this? I can think of:

blade barrier
    evard's black tentacles
    explosive rune field
    legion of sentinels
    wall of fire/ice/thorns/gears
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-28 at 01:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Freezing Fog would be another good one, although it is a bit higher level. Freezing Fog is notoriously difficult to get out of, due to the combination of Grease and Solid Fog effects. It does a scant 1d6 damage per round, but thats enough for Fell Draining to ride along.

Fell Draining Sonic Weapon is also kinda fun. Cast that on your friendly archer friend's bow and watch him Rapid Shot things into wightdom.

25. - Top - End - #25

A lot of these creative uses probably aren't going to fly in a real game. The text of the feat is vague enough, but expect a sane DM to rule that a) a creature can only be affected by Fell Drain once per casting of the spell, and b) Fell Drain can only be applied to spells that directly cause damage (no fell drain summon monster I, for example).

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: [3.5] How to Optimize Fell Drain

But wow ... what're the prereqs for Fell Drain? 'Cause if a wizard could get it at first level by having arcane thesis on a Sonic Snap ... Level drain at such low levels would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

No prereqs on it. Its just a MM feat. Arcane Thesis DOES have prereqs though, making it out of reach before ~6th level, IIRC.

That said, Practical Metamagic is available at 1st level if you are a dragonblooded caster (like a Silverbrow Human).

So yes, you can Fell Draining Sonic Snap as a 1st level Wizard (or Sorcerer).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    OMG that...so rude. Imma do it. So, what good BC spells deal damage when you trigger them, and can be used with this. I can think of:

blade barrier
    evard's black tentacles
    explosive rune field
    legion of sentinels
    wall of fire/ice/thorns/gears
    Streamers. Do it.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Fell Draining Sonic Weapon is also kinda fun. Cast that on your friendly archer friend's bow and watch him Rapid Shot things into wightdom.
    This is also rude...and thus going into my bag of tricks.

A lot of these creative uses probably aren't going to fly in a real game. The text of the feat is vague enough, but expect a sane DM to rule that a) a creature can only be affected by Fell Drain once per casting of the spell, and b) Fell Drain can only be applied to spells that directly cause damage (no fell drain summon monster I, for example).
    Could be. But even then, persisting the personal-range spells with free-action activation gives you free negative levels in every battle against every foe. At a bare minimum, it's a solid debuff that makes enemies more vulnerable to SoD and SoL spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Streamers. Do it.
    ...but I do have principles, sir.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-10-28 at 01:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Locate City Bomb? Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.