New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Bard, Theme, Background Songs/music

Music is great but i'd imagine hard to involve successfully in a campaign without it being to dorky (let me just reach over here and turn on the dramatic music....) but none the less its fun to think about and do.

I personally have memorized "A Bards Song" by Blind guardian and plan to use if should i ever play a bard and someone challenges me asking what I'm singing :P

Some songs out there, expessially boss music from games , would be good background at low volume, Like The Bad Girl theme from No More Heroes.

And I sometimes come across a song that reminds me of a character concept i like, but immediately what comes to mind is "In My Arms" by Plumb reminds me of Silver's backstory by Lady Moreta in the DnD Snippets topic
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Bard, Theme, Background Songs/music

My latest bard has styled himself as "acoustic metal", after my power/prog metal songs fell short."

Which, right now, makes him a singular, capable Tenacious D. I need to find more metal done acoustically.
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Demand those listening to your bard sing "Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams.

Come on, the lyrics are appropriate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Plaing appropriate music is fairly easy, if you are the DM and have a computer handy (I actually consider using a laptop as a DM screen, notebook, music player and secret dice roller). From players perspective, it's much more difficult to handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeson View Post
    My latest bard has styled himself as "acoustic metal", after my power/prog metal songs fell short."

Which, right now, makes him a singular, capable Tenacious D. I need to find more metal done acoustically.
    Apocalyptica would be the thing, yet you would have to somehow play a few cellos at ones: Example or two.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Demand those listening to your bard sing "Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams.

Come on, the lyrics are appropriate.
    Clutch, clutch, clutch the bleeding arteries!
    Last edited by Radar; 2010-10-28 at 09:51 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have this dream of playing a bard and actually singing appropriate songs when he inspires competence or greatness or whatever but I can't imagine it working well in an actual session. People would probably just look at me as if I was an idiot and try to concentrate on the battle. It might work better if I could play an instrument while the rest resolved their turns.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I wanted to play a warforged bard with his instruments built into him... Yeah, I'd be totally "metal."

....... O.o.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only one who dislikes modern music for my fantasy/historical games?

I have always found that listening to modern bands tend to break the immersion. However, listening to midieval music / gregorian chants / the likes often helps the immersion, depending on the location.

"A Bard's Song" by Blind Guardian is pretty good, as it keeps to simple instruments (as far as I recall). Random midieval music off YouTube is great as well.
    English is a second language etc etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

My next bard will be a bard with leadership. The cohort will also be a bard. They will be based off of Pomplamoose
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!