New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default a theory on intelligence

I've been kickin around a theory lately about intelligence and wanted to know what the playground thought.

Basically 1 intelligence=10 iq points

This actually makes a lot of sense because 10-11 INT is about 100-110 IQ points which is about average.

120-139 IQ points is considered 'Gifted' which is equivalent to 12-13 INT which is above average or +1
    140-159 IQ points is considered "Genius" Which corresponds with 14-15 INT and +2
    160-179 IQ points (Think Leonard from big bang theory) is considered "Super Genius" which corresponds with 16-17 intelligence
    180+ IQ points is basically off the charts and the highest possible for any human which makes sense as it is the highest possible roll to get. 18 INT

thoughts?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: a theory on intelligence

Intelligence quotient is based on the statistical mean. Once you start moving more than 2 or 3 deviations away from the mean, intelligence becomes more and more difficult to measure accurately via a standardised test. People with a predicted IQ >130 may need extensive testing to find their actual score. A score over 150 is extremely difficult to measure and represents the range of most standardised tests.

Obviously there are methods of testing very high IQ, otherwise people would not know that Marylin Monroe had an IQ greater than Albert Einstien (came up in a pub quiz, could very well be false).

It may be a good ad hoc ruling though, but not perfectly accurate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Uh... I'm pretty sure this has been very well established as a (very, very rough) approximation. Like, semi-officially, somewhere?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This has been established for a while. It's also patently ridiculous - IQ does not work that way.

Someone with an IQ of 150 is not "twice as smart" as someone with an IQ of 75.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

yuki i did not say that nor do the D&D rules state that. They just state that someone with 15 INT (or 155 IQ) is significantly smarter than someone with 7 INT (Or 75 IQ points)
    i did not realize this was already established
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It works as a reasonable well approximation. And given that Intelligence represents pretty much the same thing IQ-test measure, it makes sense to apply the same scale.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    180+ IQ points is basically off the charts and the highest possible for any human
    I'd contest that; even disregarding age (because unlike D&D people, real-life IQ doesn't rise significantly with age. IIRC it decreases, although that's probably just because of perception defects affecting the test-taking). It only takes 3 levels to finish Human Paragon and get a +2 to Intelligence; an additional level can get a +1. Now, IQ does in extreme WTF cases go up to about 200 before being unmeasurable, so one can account for that.

8. - Top - End - #8

I've seen a lot of arguments saying it doesn't work- however they seem to be based on the assumption that everyone who is not an adventurer rolls 3d6 for Int.

Suggesting that 1/216 of the common population are Int 3- and so would be IQ 30.
    And that 1/216 of the common population are Int 18- and so, IQ 180.

Which is nothing like the real statistics.

However- that may be an unwarranted assumption. It's possible that the majority just use a Non-Elite (runs 13 to 8), or an Standard Array (that has 3 10s and 3 11s).

And that the vast majority of NPCs with adventurer classes, use the Elite Array (15 to 8)

As a result, characters with 3s or 18s for Int, would be far rarer than if everybody rolled 3d6 for it.

Thus, the "statistics don't support the Int = IQ/10" argument may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    I'd contest that; even disregarding age (because unlike D&D people, real-life IQ doesn't rise significantly with age. IIRC it decreases, although that's probably just because of perception defects affecting the test-taking). It only takes 3 levels to finish Human Paragon and get a +2 to Intelligence; an additional level can get a +1.
    There's also the Special Abilities list of templates in DMG2- one is Prodigy- Extraordinary and allows an NPC to start out with +2 to a stat, and a +5 bonus to ability checks with that ability.

So this may account for those really exceptional at 1st level.

140-159 IQ points is considered "Genius" Which corresponds with 14-15 INT and +2
    160-179 IQ points (Think Leonard from big bang theory) is considered "Super Genius" which corresponds with 16-17 intelligence
    In 2nd ed "Genius" was used for Int 18, and "Supra-genius" for Int 19.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-10-30 at 07:03 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Also, we're talking about D&D, a franchise that never bothered much with realism.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    This has been established for a while. It's also patently ridiculous - IQ does not work that way.

Someone with an IQ of 150 is not "twice as smart" as someone with an IQ of 75.
    Someone with an Int of 15 is twice as smart as someone with an Int of 10.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    not neccessarily there is no proof of this
    My Metal Blog

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What deduction got this?

Do people with Int 15 solve problems twice as fast by strict reading of the rules?

Or is it based on the probability of passing opposed Int Checks being twice as high?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-10-30 at 07:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Someone tried to do this a while ago, it failed terribly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Also, we're talking about D&D, a franchise that never bothered much with realism.
    This coupled with the limited actual uses of IQ leads me to this question: What do you gain by making such a comparison?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Here's another reason why it doesn't work: the difference between a +0 and a +1 on skill checks is way too small to account for the difference between 100 IQ and 120 IQ.

For instance, consider a high school math test that is DC 11. It works with any other kind of skill check or knowledge check as well, this is just an example. Now take an average group of high schoolers of average intelligence, which in this case means 100 - 110 IQ. This is a difficult test, in that only half of the high schoolers will pass it.

Now consider another group of highly intelligent people that have IQ 120 - 130. According to D&D rules, 55% of them will pass this test. If you try this in reality, it is much more likely to find that 90-95% of them pass the test. Even funnier, if you take a group of the smartest people ever (IQ 180+, and yes, I know that IQ tests cannot actually measure that), then by D&D rules only 70% of them will pass the high school math test. Wow, math sure is hard!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    I'd contest that; even disregarding age (because unlike D&D people, real-life IQ doesn't rise significantly with age. IIRC it decreases, although that's probably just because of perception defects affecting the test-taking). It only takes 3 levels to finish Human Paragon and get a +2 to Intelligence; an additional level can get a +1. Now, IQ does in extreme WTF cases go up to about 200 before being unmeasurable, so one can account for that.
    Actually...I saw a documentary on the history of IQ tests in Britain. They took a group of Scottish students that were among the first to ever take the tests and then compared their results to tests taken 40 years later.

Those with an IQ >120 all showed an increased in IQ. Those of avarage and below average scores did not show any great improvement or decline.

Not enough data to form any conclusions, but it certainly merits further investigation.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's another reason why it doesn't work: the difference between a +0 and a +1 on skill checks is way too small to account for the difference between 100 IQ and 120 IQ.

For instance, consider a high school math test that is DC 11. It works with any other kind of skill check or knowledge check as well, this is just an example. Now take an average group of high schoolers of average intelligence, which in this case means 100 - 110 IQ. This is a difficult test, in that only half of the high schoolers will pass it.

Now consider another group of highly intelligent people that have IQ 120 - 130. According to D&D rules, 55% of them will pass this test. If you try this in reality, it is much more likely to find that 90-95% of them pass the test. Even funnier, if you take a group of the smartest people ever (IQ 180+, and yes, I know that IQ tests cannot actually measure that), then by D&D rules only 70% of them will pass the high school math test. Wow, math sure is hard
    this is the reason why i try not to think to hard about D&D logical fallacies :(
    My Metal Blog

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

this is the reason why i try not to think to hard about D&D logical fallacies :(
    It's also why the Player's Handbook says
    In some cases, an action is a straight test of one’s ability with no luck involved. Just as you wouldn’t make a height check to see who is taller, you don’t make a Strength check to see who is stronger. When two characters arm wrestle, for example, the stronger character simply wins.
    It's not a perfect patch (it arguably doesn't even apply to the obvious example of a math/IQ test), but I think that the designers were vaguely considering it in some corner of their heads.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Int equaled IQ I'd think it made much more sense presuming people rolled a 3d6 (the average array could just be an abstraction for non-important characters and monsters) which would give you much lover IQ's. It's much more likely for someone to roll an 18 on Int than to have an IQ of 180. Int 18 is closer to IQ 140+.

Of course this all breaks down whatever method you use because Int can go higher than 18, races have bonuses, age categories add to it as well as stat increases (although they hardly kick in until the superhuman levels). IQ however is based on standard deviation so it's a statistical measurement.

They also represent some mechanical bonuses and attributes that aren't necessarily linked to IQ as they are described. D&D really isn't a good simulation of realty.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Intelligence in D&D is more a person's ability to learn and retain information.

Problem solving ability and logic are better represented in D&D by wisdom.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Huh? Are you talking about 3.5?
    Last edited by Godskook; 2010-10-30 at 05:12 PM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Intelligence in D&D is more a person's ability to learn and retain information.

Problem solving ability and logic are better represented in D&D by wisdom.
    I'd contest that. Every D&D logic puzzle or problem solving activity in every published module I've ever seen was an Int check if it was a check at all. I've never seen one based on a Wis check.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post

Now consider another group of highly intelligent people that have IQ 120 - 130. According to D&D rules, 55% of them will pass this test. If you try this in reality, it is much more likely to find that 90-95% of them pass the test. Even funnier, if you take a group of the smartest people ever (IQ 180+, and yes, I know that IQ tests cannot actually measure that), then by D&D rules only 70% of them will pass the high school math test. Wow, math sure is hard!
    INT 10 people usually just roll the die.
    Higher INT people remember to pile on modifiers and take 10.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
    INT 10 people usually just roll the die.
    Higher INT people remember to pile on modifiers and take 10.
    That's funny, but it still doesn't work.

Let's look at an opposite example: a first-year university test in quantum physics. Suppose the university students have int 14, two ranks in the relevant knowledge skill, and +2 circumstance bonus for masterwork textbooks. As you say, these people pile on modifiers and take 10, and therefore have no problem taking a DC 16 exam.

There are two problems here. First, every student passes the test, which is unlikely. Second, if you give this test to a bunch of average high schoolers who've never heard of quantum physics before, then 20% of them will pass the test anyway.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Only adventurers roll for stats

As such, if you meet anyone that's significantly dumber than average, you should be nice to them, as they're probably a PC. murderous millionaire hobo.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's funny, but it still doesn't work.

Let's look at an opposite example: a first-year university test in quantum physics. Suppose the university students have int 14, two ranks in the relevant knowledge skill, and +2 circumstance bonus for masterwork textbooks. As you say, these people pile on modifiers and take 10, and therefore have no problem taking a DC 16 exam.

There are two problems here. First, every student passes the test, which is unlikely. Second, if you give this test to a bunch of average high schoolers who've never heard of quantum physics before, then 20% of them will pass the test anyway.
    Knowledge is trained-only.

Otherwise valid point.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    You, uh, have to put in a URL first.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WARNING: maths buffs only
    Spoiler
    Show
    INT 18 happens 1 in 216 times, so about 0.5% of the time. Three standard deviations is 99.9% (good enough). The SD for IQ is defined to be 15, so an INT 18 character will have about 145 IQ. INT 3 is 55 IQ.

Wow, A-level maths turned out to be useful
    Last edited by jebob; 2010-10-30 at 01:58 PM.
    Many thanks to Discord for the Avatar!

-_Q

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I wrote a blog post recently on this very topic.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by jebob View Post
    INT 18 happens 1 in 216 times, so about 0.5% of the time. Three standard deviations is 99.9% (good enough). The SD for IQ is defined to be 15, so an INT 18 character will have about 145 IQ. INT 3 is 55 IQ.
    I already brought this up in a previous post, and went on to say:

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    However- that may be an unwarranted assumption. It's possible that the majority just use a Non-Elite (runs 13 to 8), or an Standard Array (that has 3 10s and 3 11s).

And that the vast majority of NPCs with adventurer classes, use the Elite Array (15 to 8)

As a result, characters with 3s or 18s for Int, would be far rarer than if everybody rolled 3d6 for it.