New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Best way to play with minds?

Obviously the best way to toy with ones mind is to be a DM but I do not currently hold such a title so I am looking for mechanics to do so. Allowed books are core, complete ____, phb2, libris mortis, heroes of horror. I originally made a mindbender and the dm ruled that each eternal charm is another cohort like if I were allowed to take leadership several times but it seems to OP for it to be fun (I mean it is fun to bully my six slaves that each are stronger than I am but...) any ideas of what to build?
    May all praise the oh so glorious, oh so benevolent oh so androgynous Sam!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Best way to play with minds?

The Beguiler from the PHB II might help. They focus on Illusions and Enchantments. Plus they know all spells on the Beguiler spell list which covers most illusion and enchantment spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

For RP, rather than mechanical, messing with mind, there is the spell "message" used on unaware targets.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleKing View Post
    The Beguiler from the PHB II might help. They focus on Illusions and Enchantments. Plus they know all spells on the Beguiler spell list which covers most illusion and enchantment spells.
    As well as a whole bunch of very helpful conjuration and transmutation spells. I would recommend the Beguiler as well. Taking a level in Mindbender also gives you Telepathy, which helps mess around with people without detection.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Fairly certain there's a Psionic class somewhere.. You take over other peoples minds, very cool. Well.. It's Pisonics, as long as it's not equivalent to magic it's totally freaking awesome play with your mind material. A Red Wizard with Leadership and a Thayan Knight cohort, makes thematic sense if in Faerun. Enchantment/Illusionist Wizard of any sort, Nightmare Spinner from Complete.. Mage I think it is, assuming you include various fear effects as a part of messing with minds. A Bard messes with minds?

DnD is either hitting people with sharp or heavy or heavy and sharp objects or messing with their minds. :P

Or bending reality to your will, but that's marginally less fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

for playing with peoples' minds without resorting to game mechanics, a pychology course is always handy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

biggrin Re: Best way to play with minds?

I like the psych course idea but how do you psych out a psychologist? My dm is close to graduating with his psychology degree and so he definitely messed with our minds in certain sessions. Next question is whether it would be better to stay beguiler or whatever class I choose or PrC out of it? (Btw tons of fun with telepathy already, bluffed an entire mob of ogres to run away from the black tentacles because they were a demon god being summoned :)
    May all praise the oh so glorious, oh so benevolent oh so androgynous Sam!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Tibbit Telepath
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)