New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Science Ruining Fantasy

Do you think our modern understanding of the universe could ruin the magic of a fantasy setting? Has it in your game?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Science Ruining Fantasy

No, why? How do you see it ruining fantasy?
    (I mean, you realize that fantasy as a genre is relatively new, right?)
    Last edited by Zeofar; 2010-11-02 at 09:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What? No! Killing catgirls isn't a bug, it's a feature!

Heck, even the genetics angle can open up a quest to figure out why the heck humans can breed with gosh-darn everything.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-02 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What? No! Killing catgirls isn't a bug, it's a feature!

Heck, even the genetics angle can open up a quest to figure out why the heck humans can breed with gosh-darn everything.

He's the key to that mystery =O

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Commoner railguns et al. are bloody annoying.

I don't think physics in principle ruins fantasy, but I do think that people who try to mix in physics with their magic generally do so poorly. One thing I'd love to do eventually is develop a general formulation of physical laws that allows me to describe what sorts of physical laws are needed for a more "magical" universe, and which sorts of "magic" are logically consistent. But I doubt it will ever happen, if only because it's unlikely a university will take kindly to me wasting their resources on such a project.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeofar View Post
    No, why? How do you see it ruining fantasy?
    (I mean, you realize that fantasy as a genre is relatively new, right?)
    Wait, what? Only if you consider Gilgamesh, the Illiad, Journey to the West, et. al. "relatively new".

Fantasy shouldn't be harmed by science because it doesn't generally happen in our world. It happens in a different place and a different universe - where there aren't such limits on what is possible. Fantasy is as much metaphor as simulation.

7. - Top - End - #7

Honestly? I just generally feel free to ignore physics whenever. Especially now that I have more lectures on the history of science. Things get so much more interesting if you can steal ideas from the greeks and the 16-18th century.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
    Wait, what? Only if you consider Gilgamesh, the Illiad, Journey to the West, et. al. "relatively new".
    Most of those were intended as something more similar to history than to fantasy.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Most of those were intended as something more similar to history than to fantasy.
    Not at all. These were works of entertainment and cultural identity, like books, movies and comics today. Contemporary listeners did not consider them (Illiad, Journey to the West, etc.) to be historical fact even in ancient times.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I like SCIENCE!

I like FANTASY!

science + fantasy = steampunk fantasy = Iron Kingdoms (my favorite campaign setting )

Not everybody agrees, though. My group is starting to see it my way, though, after I threw some Alchemists' Fire into the AoE of a grease spell. FWOOSH! Then there was much burning of zombies, and much enjoyment to be had by all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Not at all. These were works of entertainment and cultural identity, like books, movies and comics today. Contemporary listeners did not consider them (Illiad, Journey to the West, etc.) to be historical fact even in ancient times.
    I think he might've meant relatively new in the same way that walking upright and speech are relatively new.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-02 at 09:46 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

As a person who has to deal with physics a lot in his daily life, I sometimes fall to this problem.

I see a spell and immediately think about how that "wouldn't really work" because of X Y or Z. Note this isn't dismissing the idea of "Magic" just the idea of a specific spell effect/feat/ability/rule playing out its cause and effect chain as described. It takes a bit of effort, for me at least, to push my suspension of disbelief long enough to accept something that I would normally reject out of hand.

The "classic" (if somewhat dubious) example is the idea that a person who is falling who then decides to dimension door to the ground would, when they finish their teleport, maintain their momentum and have a rather painful impact with the ground. (This was a very popular thing with Nightcrawler from X-Men, with some authors playing it "realistically" and others ignoring this concept totally.) While this may or may not be true (we obviously cannot teleport people in real life to test it) the science behind it seems sound.

Once I get past that it's usually not a big deal. Despite what some people say, playing a game with Gnomes and Goblins and Wizards and Demons isn't enough for some to automatically dismiss real world physics. If it's a real problem with players it's probably good to set down a ground rule about it (basically: Don't try to use physics to justify something that contradicts game mechanics). We did this, more or less. We sometimes bend or break the rule, but usually we stick to jokes about it.

As much as it bothers you, saying "It's magic!" is a valid thing to do in a D&D game. Frankly it's why so many unbelievable things happen.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feliks878 View Post
    The "classic" (if somewhat dubious) example is the idea that a person who is falling who then decides to dimension door to the ground would, when they finish their teleport, maintain their momentum and have a rather painful impact with the ground. (This was a very popular thing with Nightcrawler from X-Men, with some authors playing it "realistically" and others ignoring this concept totally.) While this may or may not be true (we obviously cannot teleport people in real life to test it) the science behind it seems sound.
    Cue GLaDOS: "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." Yeah, dim door to save yourself from a fall, doesn't work for me either.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

As there is nothing about changing your velocity or whatever, I'm not sure what would be wrong with it?

You travel to the spot desired, but you are still falling as you were before...

For game purposes, it probably means that you skip few d6 depending on how much height you "avoided" with the spell.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Cue GLaDOS: "Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out." Yeah, dim door to save yourself from a fall, doesn't work for me either.
    It could go either way. I can't really see anyone "proving" what happens to their momentum when they cast DD.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    It could go either way. I can't really see anyone "proving" what happens to their momentum when they cast DD.
    Well, seeing that they have travelled instantaneously, they have accelerated to a speed greater than light. Thus their momentum would be far greater.

Any travel via teleportation should result in a massive kinetic explosion!

Unless, of course, you wave your hands and say "it's magic" - which means you can ignore anything you like about momentum.
    Last edited by Democratus; 2010-11-02 at 10:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    As there is nothing about changing your velocity or whatever, I'm not sure what would be wrong with it?

You travel to the spot desired, but you are still falling as you were before...

For game purposes, it probably means that you skip few d6 depending on how much height you "avoided" with the spell.
    If you manged it in the first round after falling off the cliff, you'd probably end up with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises, since (assuming earth-like gravity) you'd only fall approx 206-ish meters.

Never mind. That would still hurt.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, seeing that they have travelled instantaneously, they have accelerated to a speed greater than light. Thus their momentum would be far greater.
    Exactly. And thus you could argue that to prevent that from happening part of the spells effects it to neutralize your momentum.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

19. - Top - End - #19

For the dimdoor fall, okay, you maintain speed...

But who says you have to maintain your velocity? What prevents you from coming out of the door in a different direction, turning, say, falling into horizontal movement and ending up alright?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That's a bit of an exaggeration. While ancient cultures didn't view myths as falling under the same sorts of requirements for verification as modern history or even their own day-to-day claims, they still viewed them as valid enough to be a legitimate basis for action. Otherwise religions and priesthoods could never have existed.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    For the dimdoor fall, okay, you maintain speed...

But who says you have to maintain your velocity? What prevents you from coming out of the door in a different direction, turning, say, falling into horizontal movement and ending up alright?
    Nothing, if the player says that this is the intent. Just like portal. I fall into a vertical portal, and come out from a horizontal portal. Instant charge attack!

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

That's a bit of an exaggeration. While ancient cultures didn't view myths as falling under the same sorts of requirements for verification as modern history or even their own day-to-day claims, they still viewed them as valid enough to be a legitimate basis for action. Otherwise religions and priesthoods could never have existed.
    You do get into a bit of a chicken and the egg debate that no one wants to get into if you follow this rabbit hole though.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

It could, if you were able to open the exit in a different direction, then the entrance (which is nowhere specified). After all, rolling on the ground at 50 km/h might be painful (and harmful), but slaming into the ground at 50 km/h is in most cases fatal.

In general, I like to think, that physics can be applied in a fantasy setting. This way it's much easier to predict an outcome to an unusual action. Besides, there is no better battlecry then "For Science!"
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Commoner railguns et al. are bloody annoying.

I don't think physics in principle ruins fantasy, but I do think that people who try to mix in physics with their magic generally do so poorly.
    Agreed....

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

25. - Top - End - #25

Ok, so I went away from a few minutes and came back, and now I see exactly what I was implying, regarding the Dimension Door/Falling debate.

This is exactly the kind of thing that can cause problems. From a "scientific" standpoint a lot of people are saying that the person should take the fall damage they've accumulated, etc.

This is where, as a player, we need to step up and just flat out DISMISS our scientific knowledge. It's magic, maybe it bleeds off the velocity, etc. The point is, having it not save someone from a fall is the kind of "science ruining fantasy" I thought this thread was about, at least from an oblique point of view. While these debates are entertaining from a theoretical perspective (What would really happen if...) they aren't necessarily constructive in gameplay.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

If you manged it in the first round after falling off the cliff, you'd probably end up with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises, since (assuming earth-like gravity) you'd only fall approx 206-ish meters.

Never mind. That would still hurt.
    The problem is, I can't think of a game that allows for the fact that falls aren't instantaneous. Most games have some kind of Fall X Distance = Take Y Damage formula. Which means a fall of a mile or of a meter take the same amount of time in game.

Gravity and terminal velocity and so on are bringing physics into the same arena as character who are able to ignore conservation of energy.

27. - Top - End - #27

Actually, I like some science in my fantasy. It gives a good base of what can and cannot happen with and without magic which then lets me make nifty magic laws for fluff. And players who like to RP love fluff. Heck, a game I'm running right now has several insparations from Chaos Theory in it. So far, it seems to me that, when not forced to be overtly adjacent to each other, they can actually be complementary elements.

28. - Top - End - #28

Science doesn't ruin fantasy as fantasy takes place in universe A while we are in universe B.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Science doesn't ruin fantasy as fantasy takes place in universe A while we are in universe B.
    Why are we in the B universe? I want to be universe 1.

Really tho, science and fantasy can get along just fine, we are playing a science-heavy steampunk game currently, and it all blends together very well. I think the important part is how you handle and describe the science. Its not the stuff we are used to, its what works for teh world.
    If there is no such thing as trolls, how can you explain all the dead unicorns?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Ok, so I went away from a few minutes and came back, and now I see exactly what I was implying, regarding the Dimension Door/Falling debate.

This is exactly the kind of thing that can cause problems. From a "scientific" standpoint a lot of people are saying that the person should take the fall damage they've accumulated, etc.

This is where, as a player, we need to step up and just flat out DISMISS our scientific knowledge. It's magic, maybe it bleeds off the velocity, etc. The point is, having it not save someone from a fall is the kind of "science ruining fantasy" I thought this thread was about, at least from an oblique point of view. While these debates are entertaining from a theoretical perspective (What would really happen if...) they aren't necessarily constructive in gameplay.
    Not being a scientist or some one who works with physics on a day to day basis, but could one not argue that mabye the DD just plops you in the position you want with out the valocity/speed/momentum that you had before you teleported.

I guess I'm failing to see why they would keep the momentum and what not. I know what your saying about the Nightcrawler thing but, that "fantasy" world worked differently then a typical dnd setting.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.