New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Morality and Players

Ok, my players are a bunch of racist 'do-gooders' (IC at least) who think nothing of butchering anything thats not human, elven etc.

How can I make them realise that slaughtering goblin babies is an evil act?
    Many thanks to Discord for the Avatar!

-_Q

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Morality and Players

Tell them so?
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Have them go on a mission with a celestial who is horrified by the acts they commit against other races?
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 2010-11-02 at 03:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Have them go on a mission with a celestial who is horrified by the acts they commit against other races?
    Ugh, babysitter...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Have there be IC consequences for their actions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

A trap misfires, killing everything around. A goblin mother sacrifices herself to save her child. With her dying breath she begs the PC's (as the only ones left alive) to take care of her baby.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Have them meet devils who have come to applaud their evil deeds and suggest they keep it up?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    A trap misfires, killing everything around. A goblin mother sacrifices herself to save her child. With her dying breath she begs the PC's (as the only ones left alive) to take care of her baby.
    You are a beautiful beautiful ******* and I love you.
    Last edited by AtwasAwamps; 2010-11-02 at 03:10 PM.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Have a Celestial who is horrified by the acts they commit against other races go on a mission to stop them?

Edit: also, WarKitty's solution.
    Last edited by Kalaska'Agathas; 2010-11-02 at 03:10 PM.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This is the best solution I think.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Do the players *want* the game to be about the moral ramifications of their actions? If they just want to kill monsters, why do you keep throwing babies at them instead?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
    Do the players *want* the game to be about the moral ramifications of their actions? If they just want to kill monsters, why do you keep throwing babies at them instead?
    A very valid point...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HAVE they killed goblin babies?
    in that case: goblin paladins!
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

14. - Top - End - #14

Devil

Yeah, I think the real problem that needs to be solved is the [apparent] disconnect between what you want and what they want.

If they just wanna kill them some evil humanoids etc, and you want (god I'm trying not to make one side sound better than the other...but I don't know how) moral implications to matter...well, either you guys need to compromise together, or get different groups to play with...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

A good idea. How about combining that with a father who enters the story some time afterwards asking for the child? He could then become a villain (hero?) if they left it in a field someplace.

I want to shake them out of their stereotypes and make them think for a change (they're a very hacky/slashy group). I'll try it, but I do need to be aware that I could bore them or lead them to inaction if every action comes back to haunt them.

Also: 10 views, 11 posts. Woah
    Many thanks to Discord for the Avatar!

-_Q

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Set up an adventure where a group of evil humans/elves/etc. is attacking an innocent goblin tribe.

Or, just accept that they like evil to be color-coded for their convenience, and let goblins be evil.

Or, talk to them OOC and inform them that, in this game world, all goblins are not inherently evil, and they are in fact just another sentient race, albeit one that has strong evil tendencies.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Have them meet devils who have come to applaud their evil deeds and suggest they keep it up?
    This would be hilarious and I second it, though a "Celestials try to kill disable you after you slaughtered that orc village, including non-combatants" arc could be good fun.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jebob View Post
    I want to shake them out of their stereotypes and make them think for a change (they're a very hacky/slashy group). I'll try it, but I do need to be aware that I could bore them or lead them to inaction if every action comes back to haunt them.
    The easiest way to handle this is to allow their reputation to haunt them. First they hear stories about their bloody escapades; then Good institutions start shunning them; then Evil institutions start offering them perks.

However, you must ask yourself why they are committing attrocities. Is it because they don't understand their Alignments? Do they mean to be Good but don't understand that Good means "respecting life?" If so, the above strategy should "scare them straight" - so to speak.

However, if they're simply not interested in Good vs. Evil, then the above strategy is going to be unproductive and - quite possibly - take a horrifying turn when they follow the path into Hell. Before it gets to that point, talk to your Players about what they're interested in getting out of a game; ideally you can infer this by how they play but it never hurts to just straight out ask them. Bad comes to worst, you realize you're not interested in running the sort of game they're interested in playing and y'all do something else.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations, ma'am, you win the thread. This is the most moving scenario in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    +1

How about a Fiendish Bard who inspires them ?

The next time they embark up such an action, have them hear bagpipes in the distance. They feel inspired by the music. Only afterwards, when they seek out who aided them, do they discover the nature of musician.

This should raise questions and lead to some soul searching RP.

Actually its also quite likely that they will attack I suppose

In which event: the musician teleports/planeshifts out, only to return at some future time during another episode of evil.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
    Maybe they just want to kill babies. Templated babies FTW!
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Maybe they just want to kill babies. Templated babies FTW!
    My Paladin was 12 years old, so it could be possible...
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Loan them a copy of Start of Darkness.

Alternately, just stop throwing goblin babies at them. Give them enemies that really ARE fine to slaughter indiscriminately, like undead or demons. If your players want to hack-and-slash it, why take it upon yourself to change them?
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As a more subtle way to introduce the idea of goblins as non-evil, how about placing an obviously Good (due to context) NPC in a non-combat scenario?

The PCs enter the Temple of Pelor, to find the goblin preist Geeska, who tells the PCs tales of his family and how much he loves them.

To get really nasty, have Geeska tell them about these horrible raiders that have been destroying the homes of his family, who have forsaken the evil ways of most of their kin and have been struggling to be accepted members of civilization. This might be too anvilicious for a first encounter, and might work after they've gotten to know Geeska a bit.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

PaladinGuy

As others have pointed out - for many the game of DnD isn't so much an RPG but a pen and paper videogame.

If that isn't your style, politely inform them monster hack n slash is boring for you and suggest Neverwinter Nights as an alternative. =)

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Alternately, just stop throwing goblin babies at them. Give them enemies that really ARE fine to slaughter indiscriminately, like undead or demons. If your players want to hack-and-slash it, why take it upon yourself to change them?
    This. Sometimes people just want the ability to bash heads without annoying moral ambiguity. Leave the option open rather than trying to force anyone to play "right".

And if you want your players to see humanoids as more than just vermin, don't count on the "aww, cute lil' babies" factor. Make the adult humanoids act like reasonable members of (an admittedly evil) society rather than uniform antagonistic cannon fodder. If you want something without a clear right side, use your usual good-aligned demihumans on both sides. If your players' eyes gloss over at this, get back to some good old fashioned monster bashing or start looking for a new group.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

I second sending a party of Good-aligned goblins with class levels against your players.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I think you really need to just have an OOC discussion with your players about the type of game that they and you are expecting to be played here.
    BEEP.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Years of gaming have basically just ingrained a small truism that goblins et al. are evil and should be killed just for being goblins et al. The natural system sets them up to be so, so unless you actually say your goblins are speshul and aren't actually evil, then you'll generally have to tell people this. And if they aren't, you should tell them what is, so they can go to that village and have fun burning it down instead.

If you're going for "there is no evil" blabbidy blah, I'd kind of question why the world needs adventurers at all.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

30. - Top - End - #30

Devil

um...who says the world needs adventurers? And if it does, who says it needs them for the purposes of killing evil creatures?
    killing something because it pings on the Pally's evilometer is also evil, so a character isn't justified (morally speaking) in slaughtering goblin villages, no matter how always evil they are.