New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Some Poisonous Questions

I'm currently working on a Halfling Rouge 5/ Fighter 1 for a campaign where I am hunted by higher level players. I have a few questions to help create my character:

Do injury poisons work with bludgeoning weapons?
    What feats should I pick up to increase my poison's effectiveness? I'm currently using drow poison due to the fact that I'm on a tight budget.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Some Poisonous Questions

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=4854.0

Injury Poisons work with bludgeoning weapons just fine, AFAIK, strange as it seems.
    Sig'd

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post

Injury Poisons work with bludgeoning weapons just fine, AFAIK, strange as it seems.
    Poisons are mainly contact based - which is why there is such a high chance of poisining yourself, unless you are trained in using them.
    Does not make sense if the person is wearing a fullplate, though.
    English is a second language etc etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Blugeoning weapons can totally break the skin. I don't see what the problem is.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You're poison using halfling? Go Black Dog!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Where can I find it? I don't have much in the way of source books...
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Dog is in the Dragonmarked Supplement for Eberron.

Basics of the class:
    Fluff: Halfling rogues' organization who specialize in poisons. They see themselves as freedom fighters, others consider them anarchists or terrorists.
    Reqs: 4R in Bluff, Sleight of Hand; 8 in Hide. Feat: Least Dragonmark (gives a 1/day prestigitation or create food & water). Special: trained by a member.
    Chassis: 5 levels long. 6 skills/level, d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, good fort/ref.
    Abilities: All center around using poisons - you gain poison use at 1st, death attack at 2nd, and the ability to use your SLAs from Least Dragonmark to create poisons.

Good luck with the character!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post

Well, you can create abrasions and tear the skin with blunt trauma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #9

So basically anything that can injure can apply an injury poison? Oh the ridiculous improvised weapons that can be exploited.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    So basically anything that can injure can apply an injury poison? Oh the ridiculous improvised weapons that can be exploited.
    Pretty sure Sneak Attack Loincloth can poison people.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    I'm currently working on a Halfling Rouge 5/ Fighter 1 for a campaign where I am hunted by higher level players. I have a few questions to help create my character:

Do injury poisons work with bludgeoning weapons?
    What feats should I pick up to increase my poison's effectiveness? I'm currently using drow poison due to the fact that I'm on a tight budget.
    Wild Cohort and taking one of the poisonous druid companions available at druid level 4 when you hit level 7 or one of the poisonous level 1 companions available. (Are there any at that low of a level? I know at level 10 you can get a basic fleshraker which will have dex poison to harvest) Swindlespitter from MM3 seems to be your best bet, though sea snakes might be air-breathers if you can't have dinosaurs. Stingray would be nice to have to keep at home and handle animal to get the poison from it, as even a dc 12 vs. nausea measured in hours can be spammed on ammunition.

If you're on a tight budget, I'm guessing buying a poisonous animal to harvest poison from is out. Warbeast from MM2, by the way, gives animals prices and Con +3, so that's between +1 or +2 on the DC right there, and it increases their HD so that could raise the DC by 1 again. Then again, if you've been buying poison (which you shouldn't do), you can refrain from the expenditure and get a 1 HD base poisonous animal with the warbeast template (so it'd have 2 HD) for ~100 gp...

You should probably look at Salvo (complete scoundrel) instead of Drow Sleep Poison if you're on a tight budget, since you can make salvo easily and more quickly and the materials for it are more likely to be readily at hand for the 1/6th price for creating it. Can even make enough of it in a go to produce enough to sell on top of the amount you use. 1/2-1/6 = 1/3 of the price of the poison in profit, after all.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-03 at 08:34 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Pretty sure Sneak Attack Loincloth can poison people.
    Can you SA with improv weapons?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Black Dog is in the Dragonmarked Supplement for Eberron.

Basics of the class:
    Fluff: Halfling rogues' organization who specialize in poisons. They see themselves as freedom fighters, others consider them anarchists or terrorists.
    Reqs: 4R in Bluff, Sleight of Hand; 8 in Hide. Feat: Least Dragonmark (gives a 1/day prestigitation or create food & water). Special: trained by a member.
    Chassis: 5 levels long. 6 skills/level, d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, good fort/ref.
    Abilities: All center around using poisons - you gain poison use at 1st, death attack at 2nd, and the ability to use your SLAs from Least Dragonmark to create poisons.
    Huh. And here I thought he was referencing the holy symbol of Urgoalan, the Halfling god of the dead and the afterlife...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #14

You can sneak attack with just about everything.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Huh. And here I thought he was referencing the holy symbol of Urgoalan, the Halfling god of the dead and the afterlife...
    Ghallanda is a halfling word that translates to something like "helpful hound who appears when needed most", and Black Dogs are the dark side of House Ghallanda (who denies their existence and punishes all caught practitioners).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    You can sneak attack with just about everything.
    My bad, I was mixing up SA with weapon finesse.

17. - Top - End - #17

Ever watch a boxing match?

Cuts are frequent, and they are created by nothing other than a punch, dulled with gloves.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't one Iron Chef challenge had a black dog entry? I think it was the Mindspy one.... might be a good idea to check it for ideas.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Didn't one Iron Chef challenge had a black dog entry? I think it was the Mindspy one.... might be a good idea to check it for ideas.
    Nicolo Egidi, Green Star Adept challenge

Another one, Psibond Agent
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-03 at 09:14 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

Chaos Flasks or Minor Creation for all the poisons you could want. Lotus Extract's made of plant components, right?

Creation, Minor Psionic is a first-level power. A dip into Psion for all the poison you could want is worth considering. Of course, the poison wouldn't last very long, but long enough for the effect to kick in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Also, shape sand item wise. Or the feat Hidden Talent in order to grab the psionic minor creation without devoting a level to it.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Ghallanda is a halfling word that translates to something like "helpful hound who appears when needed most", and Black Dogs are the dark side of House Ghallanda (who denies their existence and punishes all caught practitioners).
    Interesting, though, admittedly, I'm not really into Eberron. That is Eberron, right? (By not really, I mean: I really dislike it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Look out, Graham, a POIsonous question!

Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Someone linked Nicolo!

One reason Nicolo used Hexblade is it allowed him to debuff the target before going for the kill with poison.

Binder, Paladin of Tyranny, and Blackguard are also good for this purpose, as are certain Sor/Wiz, Cleric, and Druid spells, particularly in the Necromancy school.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Terrifying Strike and Sickening Strike are both useful... each sacrifices 1d6 sneak attack for a -2 to enemy saves (as well as the rest of the Shaken/Sickened condition). The "Assassination" property for weapons adds an effective 1d6 sneak attack as well as adding the bonus of your weapon to poison DCs for just a +1 bonus, so combined with a Tooth of Leraje (CL 20 Greater Magic Weapon on one of your weapons) that's a +5 to the DC.

Get a way to cast Minor Creation (the Psionic version may be easier) and you can create huge amounts of either Black Lotus Poison (3d6 con/3d6 con, DC 20) or Sinmaker's Surprise (2d6 con/2d6 con, DC 24, adds 1d6 acid damage for three rounds in addition) effectively free, since they're both made of vegetable compounds. Just make sure you have enough Craft Poison. You probably want to use archery if you do this so you can poison all your arrows in advance. A Splitting bow of Assassination is amazing for this.

JaronK