New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Multiple Familiars?

Can you gain multiple familiars? Say you were a sorcerer or wizard and got a familiar with the class feature, and then picked up the Obtain Familiar feat. would that get you two familiars?
    Last edited by A Ladder; 2010-11-04 at 05:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Multiple Familiars?

No I believe you can only have one familiar at a time

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Why would you want them? They're two chances to lose XP, and they're even squishier than you are!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Extra Familiar from Dragon #280. Only useful with some variant of Improved Familiar feat and either good BAB&HD on their master(like, say, a HEXBLADE!) or enough wealth to make them into wand/magic-item using attack platforms.

...Are there any substitution levels or ACFs that give a better familiar that one might want more than one of?

*wanders off to check Dictum Mortuum's handbook*

Well, nothing there. Found this though.

Well, ok, Raptoran Wizard 1 can get a small air elemental without expending a feat, so you could get a UMD platform with fly 100 ft.(perfect).

Changeling wizard 5 can get morphic familiar allowing one's familiar(s) to switch between forms, thus allowing one to switch between UMD and combat familiars. Of course, an imp or quasit could already do both by turning into a wolf and fighting with your BAB, but this is better than that because Winterwolf is nice, as is krenshar. Actually, I think if you had two krenshar formed familiars, you could get them to fear-stack which would be nasty in addition to any other fear effect you could tag on there, disarming one's enemies and causing them to flee/generate AoOs...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-04 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Extra Familiar from Dragon #280. Only useful with some variant of Improved Familiar feat and either good BAB&HD on their master(like, say, a HEXBLADE!) or enough wealth to make them into wand/magic-item using attack platforms.
    Duskblade is better for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
    Can you gain multiple familiars? Say you were a sorcerer or wizard and got a familiar with the class feature, and then picked up the Obtain Familiar feat. would that get you two familiars?
    From the SRD page on Sorcerers and Wizards

"A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time."

"Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the master’s level."

Granted this is before all the shenanigans that 'could' get you multiple familiars, but it seems pretty clear. ONE familiar. You can change it, but no more than one.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Extra Familiar + Enspell Familiar + Polymorph = Army of hydras!
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Now that changeling sub-level brings the question, how does morphic familiar interacts with Improved familiars? would you be able to get ANY familiar on the improved familiar list (as long as you can legally have it obviously).

Hmmm sounds tempting.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Now that changeling sub-level brings the question, how does morphic familiar interacts with Improved familiars? would you be able to get ANY familiar on the improved familiar list (as long as you can legally have it obviously).

Hmmm sounds tempting.
    From what I understand of it, that does appear to be the case. I'll crack open Races of Eberron though and double check.

Edit: The phrasing is that it's any creature the wizard could normally have as a familiar, and it refers to page 52 of the PHB. Improved familiar does expand the familiar list available to the wizard though. So, yeah.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-04 at 10:29 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    From what I understand of it, that does appear to be the case. I'll crack open Races of Eberron though and double check. The phrasing is that it's any creature the wizard could normally have as a familiar. And improved familiar does expand the familiar list available to the wizard.
    :evil grin:... I might need to re think my gish if that is the case... (a changeling unseen seer with that sub level might be interesting)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're playing in a gestalt game and your GM allows psionics-magic transparency to stretch to the point that your familiar's Share Spells ability means that it shares any powers you manifest on yourself, too, gestalt wizard/psion. This allows you to extend the old Vigor/Share Pain trick to your familiar(s) as well as your psicrystal: though the number of Share Pains you have to put up can get prohibitive, eventually you end up with (5 * (3 + (number of feats spent on extra familiars)) * Manifester Level temporary hit points- x1 for you, x1 for your familiar, x1 for your psicrystal, and x1 for each of your extra familiars.

It's rickety and wierd, but it's a practical use for extra familiars.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2010-11-04 at 10:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Why would you want them? They're two chances to lose XP, and they're even squishier than you are!
    The point would be to get multiples of them (which aparently I can't) and then get an army of Imps, Psuedo Dragons, or Shock lizards.

With share spells, I could buff them all to ridiculousness and have then toast things.

I'm not sayign it would be "good", but man would it be fun.
    Last edited by A Ladder; 2010-11-04 at 11:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
    The point would be to get multiples of them (which aparently I can't) and then get an army of Imps, Psuedo Dragons, or Shock lizards.

With share spells, I could buff them all to ridiculousness and have then toast things.

I'm not sayign it would be "good", but man would it be fun.
    No dragon magazine material allowed, eh? Too bad.

What chassis were you thinking of putting this on, by the by?
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Could've sworn there was also an epic feat that allowed you to have more than 1 familiar, but I can't see it there now.

Also, a Hexblade can use the ACF in PHB2 to get a Shadow Companion, then use Obtain Familiar to get an actual familiar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    "A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time."

"Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the master’s level."
    Hmm, now that I reread this, if you go by a strictly RAW standpoint, ONE class could have MULTIPLE familiars

"A character with MORE THAN ONE CLASS that grants..."
    "Levels of DIFFERENT CLASSES..."

The intent is still 1 familiar per character. But the RAW is all the Familiars you want, so long as it's a single-class.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide