New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Has anyone ever played the Wheel of Time RPG?

I came across the rulebook in a library sale, since the latest WoT book just came out and I was re-reading the series, I figured I'd pick it up. Has anyone played it before? Was it fun?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Has anyone ever played the Wheel of Time RPG?

Haven't played it, per se, but we have used stuff from it from time to time. I played a Wolfbrother once, and it was pretty fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3

I remember looking through it in a bookstore once. I was deeply disappointed and let it there.
    Making a good RPG out of the WoT is a challenge since that world is pretty much the antithesis of balance. I felt that Vancian casting was also a poor model for channeling, since all One Power users in the novels act as if they have virtually no limit unless they channel continuously for several hours.
    All in all, I can't tell you how it is to play it, but I fell sure enough that it will not be able to recreate the mood of the novels. That is, unless you just ignore how the system would work and go for what feels right, but then you're practically doing freeform.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I remember looking through it in a bookstore once. I was deeply disappointed and let it there.
    Making a good RPG out of the WoT is a challenge since that world is pretty much the antithesis of balance. I felt that Vancian casting was also a poor model for channeling, since all One Power users in the novels act as if they have virtually no limit unless they channel continuously for several hours.
    All in all, I can't tell you how it is to play it, but I fell sure enough that it will not be able to recreate the mood of the novels. That is, unless you just ignore how the system would work and go for what feels right, but then you're practically doing freeform.
    I believe a 'spell point' type of system would fix the One Power issues that arise with modelling it on Broken, I mean, Vancian casting.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I believe a 'spell point' type of system would fix the One Power issues that arise with modelling it on Broken, I mean, Vancian casting.
    It would definitely serve it better. I thought of the psionic system but it doesn't feel right either: WoT channelers continuously use their top powers without seeming regard for cost, which seems to be an issue only when it comes to maintaining medium-high level powers constantly on for several hours. On top of that, there are more pieces to be added, like proficiency levels for the five threads an the apparent ease of learning new weaves, that I'd like to see represented.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say a spell-seed system combined with spellpoints would fit the weaving of magic pretty well. Of course this would be a nightmare to balance ^^

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I think a ToB-like mechanic would be perfect for describing characters from that setting, for both the Channelers and the more mundane ones.

One, if the weaves are "maneuvers", Channelers have the same endurance as everyone else.

Two, the WoT swordplay is already based on maneuvers and stances. Boar Rushes Down the Mountain? Obvious strike. Cat Crosses The Courtyard? Obvious stance. You don't want to express stuff like this with Feats.

This reminds me, go back to work on your 3.5 overhaul, Ernir...
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    I think a ToB-like mechanic would be perfect for describing characters from that setting, for both the Channelers and the more mundane ones.

One, if the weaves are "maneuvers", Channelers have the same endurance as everyone else.

Two, the WoT swordplay is already based on maneuvers and stances. Boar Rushes Down the Mountain? Obvious strike. Cat Crosses The Courtyard? Obvious stance. You don't want to express stuff like this with Feats.

This reminds me, go back to work on your 3.5 overhaul, Ernir...
    Yeah, Blademasters were most likely swordsages. Possibly warblades, but with the sheer number of maneuvers they knew (and could use in one round), I'd use a swordsage.

9. - Top - End - #9

I like the maneuvers idea. The only problem I see with it is the apparent ease with which the channelers seem to be able to pick up new weaves.
    E. G. Gygax

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I've played the system, and it was pretty fun. In fact, there's a PbP going on right now that I'm in (I sure hope it hasn't died ...) Issues of balance haven't quite come up yet, because it's still very low levels, but I'd say that the slight MAD they put on the casters kinda works to make them less game breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I like the maneuvers idea. The only problem I see with it is the apparent ease with which the channelers seem to be able to pick up new weaves.
    You could always include the capacity to learn new weaves, 3.5 Wizard-style (although I'd suggest sanity caps on the number of weaves known).

Also, the people who are learning an absurd number of Weaves during the series are people like
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene, who are some of the most powerful channelers in the world. The "ordinary" Aes Sedai are taking somewhat more time learning Nynaeve's form of healing, as well as Gateways.
    There are also the Blocks and such you might want to implement.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I haven't played, but I looked it over recently. Here are some observations

While I agree that the magic system isn't perfect for doing WoT magic I actually like it better than the normal Vancian system. I think the overchannel ability is a good way to expand the number of spells that can be cast/day. I also like how spells grow with the character (or the character can take a chance to pull off a strong effect).

Balance is an issue though. the characters in the books are not particularly well balanced. The ability to channel clearly sets characters above the rest in terms of combat potential in the novels. It would be difficult to keep this feel and deliver a balanced game system. However, the stories aren't driven by combat and what combat there is usually is on a large scale. These are considerations the DM would need to keep in mind when designing adventures.

It should also be noted that leading groups is a significant part of the higher level. Oddly, the Leadership feat doesn't seem to be part of the game.

I'm not a huge fan of the skill list, but most of the items of complain are common to 3-3.5. I like a single sneak skill and an athletics skill (for chase scenes)

Issues aside, I'd certainly be willing to give it a go. I love the world, it seems so much richer in terms of flavour and texture than the other worlds Wizards put out for 3.
    Last edited by Loren; 2010-11-05 at 09:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thing that would need some thought is the maximum power each weaver has.
    It is hardcapped though it can be increased with the use of certain "magic" items.
    The maximum Power would need to be a constant stat that you roll/get at char creation.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Another thing that would need some thought is the maximum power each weaver has.
    It is hardcapped though it can be increased with the use of certain "magic" items.
    The maximum Power would need to be a constant stat that you roll/get at char creation.
    This is a bad idea in a roleplaying system. Saying to someone "This is how far you can go and no further" means that all of a sudden the caster the party was relying on now starts falling behind.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    This is a bad idea in a roleplaying system. Saying to someone "This is how far you can go and no further" means that all of a sudden the caster the party was relying on now starts falling behind.
    Yes, but it is a very essential part of the wheel of time magic system none the less, if one leaves it out it is no longer wheel of time

/edit though I see your point so for a very heroic campaign ie we are all the dragon reborn deal with it bbeg the dm can just handwave it toyou all have cap in that powerstat

Or one could integrate meaningful flaws for someone wo really wants this stat to be high but rolled /got a low stat there however it is done
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-11-05 at 11:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Never played it but I always thought that an Aes Sedai's vows were interesting restrictions for caster-types. Specifically the "never use the One Power as weapon except against shadowspawn or in defense of herself, her warder, or another Aes Sedai" clause. Having a caster, especially a low-level one, going out of her way to put herself in danger so she can use her offensive powers is a neat twist.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Re: Has anyone ever played the Wheel of Time RPG?

If you're running WoT, you probably aren't too concerned about balance.

I agree that Vancian casting does a very poor job of modelling channeling.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've played it and liked it a lot. I hadn't read the books prior to playing (although I think I was the only one in the group who hadn't), but was able to pick up the setting easily. I liked the magic system, I don't remember the details now, but it wasn't vancian (if my memory serves). I remember classes all had defensive bonuses when not wearing armour (like D20 modern). While perhaps less realistic, it meant if your character concept wasn't heavily armoured all the time you still had a chance in a fight.

As for balance, we only got to about level 7. I don't recall any glaring balance issues we ran into, but as a group we were always fairly low optimization.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

If anyone thought to do it, they could weave a paper-thin strand of Air and Fire at neck level and just sweep it across an entire battlefield, killing everything on it in a single stroke. Shields of Air woven around around soldiers (or even just officers) would significantly cut casualties among their own forces. The ways they actually use the Power in combat are terribly inefficient compared to the ways they could use it. However, I've never seen a game system with the versatility to do such things. Or even just the stuff that they actually do in the books. Even an epic wizard in D&D 3.5 has more limitations than a channeler in WoT.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I read the sourcebook through once, didn't really care for the casting system, though the overchannel bit was a rather neat idea.

I always figured i'd just refluff Mage if ever wanted to run a WOT game...

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Just a point. You complain about Vancian Magic being unbalanced (because it is) then you worry because it won't represent a channeler's power well. I'm sorry but WoT takes linear fighter, quadratic wizard and turns it into, linear fighter, exponential wizard, and I'm talking about the setting not the RPG.

If you take spells/weaves and turn them into manuever's you might as well just homebrew a WoT RPG 2 in the style of D&D4e.

To the OP: It's not the greatest RPG book ever by any means, but if you can get it cheap it has some interesting ideas/classes/items. Which to me makes any RPG book you can get cheaply worth it.

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfClericGuy

Or you could just use Rolemaster
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2010-11-06 at 03:25 PM.