New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Abjurant Champ Build Question

Hey, I've got a Ftr1/Sorc4 that's about to take levels in Abjurant Champion... But I don't know what to do with him after that. I want to maximize my casting, since the DM has nixed swiftblade, but don't want to be a vanilla sorceror. Any suggestions?

Restrictions: Core, Complete, and FR books only.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Abjurant Champ Build Question

AC requires +5 BAB to enter. The standard entry is Martial 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1. Martial 1/Sorcerer 6/Spellsword 1 also works.

The options after Abjurant Champion are Sacred Exorcist (sexy on Sorcerer due to Cha-synergy, btw) and Eldritch Knight, really. EK loses one CL but gets full BAB, SE loses 2 BAB but gets full casting and a bunch of tasty class features, most important of which is Turn Undead which in turn you can use for Divine Might (aka. Cha to damage for a round Cha+3 times per day as a free action!). Should come as no surprise that I like X 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8 quite a bit.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-11-05 at 09:48 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

You need two more points of BAB before Abjurant Champion if I remember the prereqs right.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I generally go Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/AbCHamp5

You get the following advantages:

1) Casting stat to all saves. It's like a Cloak of Resistance... that stacks with a Cloak of Resistance.

2) Spellsword gets you -10% ASF, which means Mithral Chain Shirt without needing Twilight. It also gets +1 BAB and advances casting, which gets you into AbChamp by character level 8, which is about the soonest a full caster can get in

3) AbChamp is made of win. For any Gish build, this is needed.

From there, you have two options:

1) Sacred Exorcist. Tasty good, as others have said.

2) Legacy Champion. CHEESE ALERT! Auto-quicken of 7th level Abjuration spells may lead to books being thrown at you by the GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Cyran Avenger.
    Avenging Strike for that tasty, tasy Charisma synergy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You are actually better going:
    Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbChamp4/SacEx1/AbChamp+1/SacEx+7.

This gets you Turn Undead at level 12, just in time to take a feat like Divine Might. It may not make much of a difference, but it does make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

An alternative to Eldritch Knight: Knight Phantom (Five Nations, Eberron sourcebook); almost identical prereqs, though you have to burn a spell known on 'phantom steed'. I like the class features, personally.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Also loses 2 feats vs Eldritch Knight...

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

a level of dragon slayer could also give +1 BAB, +1 CL after/before Spellsword, couldn't it? ...can't remember if it has annoying feat prereqs though.

Edit: Draconomicon isn't FR or complete. Ah well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-11-06 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    a level of dragon slayer could also give +1 BAB, +1 CL after/before Spellsword, couldn't it? ...can't remember if it has annoying feat prereqs though.
    It also gives proficiencies that can be used to meet stuff like Eldritch Knight and Abjurant Champion.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlessImp View Post
    It also gives proficiencies that can be used to meet stuff like Eldritch Knight and Abjurant Champion.
    Indeed, though if he's already taken fighter, unless he's traded proficiencies for something like armored mage, he wouldn't really get anything from it on that front.

I think 1st level would still give an aura of fear though.

Hmm. FR books... Watergate, City of Splendors has some kind of Grey Hand gish class that's full BAB, though not worth taking full levels in due to the abilities not being that nifty beyond levels 2-3 (is 5 levels long), if I'm recalling correctly. Is either full-casting or casting-1.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The issue is that I've already taken the levels mentioned above. I may end up talking to the DM to see if he'll let me switch over my fighter levels for Paladin though, especially since my rp has kinda leaned me in that direction anyway.

Dragonomicon isn't allowed, nor is anything from Eberron. The DM is practically allergic to Ebberon, he hates it so much. Cyran Avenger? What's that from?

And I have to ask, what's this about cheese from the Legacy Champion?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If you've already taken the levels and cannot or do not want to retrain, then you'll need 1 more BAB, take Spellsword 1, THEN Abjurant Champion. Since Versatile Spellcaster is out (forbidden book), your best bet now is 2 levels sorcerer (or 2 levels in a caster PrC you already qualify for due to 8 ranks in some skill).
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man NPC View Post
    Dragonomicon isn't allowed, nor is anything from Eberron. The DM is practically allergic to Ebberon, he hates it so much. Cyran Avenger? What's that from?
    From Five Nations, an Eberron book.
    It progresses existing class features. Beyond their normal maximum, by some readings.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

This won't help the OP since it's using UA material, but I like Ftr2/BattleSorc4 to get into Abjurant Champion. OP, if you're looking for some cool flavor you could try the blood magus PrC.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

ah, no grey hand enforcer from Waterdeep: City of Splendors loses first spellcasting level and is only 5 levels long. plus it needs endurance and toughness as prereqs plus bab 7 or 4th level spells.

Knight of the blue moon requires turn undead though would be good otherwise.

Welp, that's one sourcebook out.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Knight of the blue moon requires turn undead though would be good otherwise.

Welp, that's one sourcebook out.
    Take sacred exorcist, it grants turn undead. Complete Divine

18. - Top - End - #18

You are actually better going:
    Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbChamp4/SacEx1/AbChamp+1/SacEx+7.

This gets you Turn Undead at level 12, just in time to take a feat like Divine Might. It may not make much of a difference, but it does make a difference.
    How do you do that? You need to be able to cast Dismissal to get into Sacred Exorcist, which you wouldn't get until level 12 due to the 2 levels of Paladin. Am I overlooking something?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikethepoor View Post
    This won't help the OP since it's using UA material, but I like Ftr2/BattleSorc4 to get into Abjurant Champion. OP, if you're looking for some cool flavor you could try the blood magus PrC.
    That would be about the least powerful method of entry, but yes, it is an option.

Battle Sorcerer is made of Fail. You loose spells known, this breaks the cardinal rule of sorcerer building.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm thinking of going 2 more levels of sorceror to get the BAB, then going into Abj Ch... After that, if I can find a way into Sacred Exorcist then I might go for it. If not, then the old standby (EK) looks like my best option =/ Either way, I only end up losing 2 caster levels.

I might be able to convince the DM to let me retrain into paladin, but it's very unlikely.. And I'm not sure about him letting me 1 lvl dip into SS, but I'll ask ;)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking of going 2 more levels of sorceror to get the BAB, then going into Abj Ch...

And I'm not sure about him letting me 1 lvl dip into SS, but I'll ask ;)
    You need 1 more BAB to qualify for Spellsword and 2 more to qualify for Abj Champ. That's why you take the 1 level dip into spellsword. With it, you need +2 sorcerer / +1 spellsword THEN Abj Champ. Without it, you need +4 sorcerer OR +1 fighter / + 2 sorcerer.

And spellsword is Complete Warrior, it shouldn't be a tough sell.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The issue is that I've already taken the levels mentioned above. I may end up talking to the DM to see if he'll let me switch over my fighter levels for Paladin though, especially since my rp has kinda leaned me in that direction anyway.

How can he hate the most awesome Setting? (IMO).

Legacy champion advances class features by 8/10 or 7/10, that means that you can advance features dependant on class levels (such as the swift abjuration of Abjurant Champion)]
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

More like, how can he summon up enough vitriol to not only hate it but to blanket ban material from books associated with it that are not dependent on the setting.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    How do you do that? You need to be able to cast Dismissal to get into Sacred Exorcist, which you wouldn't get until level 12 due to the 2 levels of Paladin. Am I overlooking something?
    Correction, you need to have 10 levels minimum for 5th level magic / dismissal (a sorc/wiz 5 spell) as a sorcerer. So, your standard Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/Abj Champ5 has 10 levels of sorcerer casting. At reaching 12th level, gain dismissal as your new spell and go Sacred Exorcist for the rest of your career.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Correction, you need to have 10 levels minimum for 5th level magic / dismissal (a sorc/wiz 5 spell) as a sorcerer. So, your standard Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/Abj Champ5 has 10 levels of sorcerer casting. At reaching 12th level, gain dismissal as your new spell and go Sacred Exorcist for the rest of your career.

-X
    But his suggested build is Pally 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/Abj Champ 4 and then grab a level of SE for level 12 to snag Divine Might early. I'm wondering how he pulls that off with 9 levels of Sorcerer casting.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    But his suggested build is Pally 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/Abj Champ 4 and then grab a level of SE for level 12 to snag Divine Might early. I'm wondering how he pulls that off with 9 levels of Sorcerer casting.
    Poor planning and/or Versatile Spellcaster shenanigans, all I can come up with.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Or he just forgot that Sorcerers are screwed over for no good reason

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hey, I wanted to thank all of you who replied to my questions. My DM's okayed spellsword before Abj Ch. And I'm thinking he'll go for the Sacred Exorcist later, by the way I've been playing my character.

I appreciate the help.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Your welcome! Always good to see someone helped (rather than harmed) by the wisdom of the infinite masses of the internet!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

One more question. Any suggestion on spells through Abj. ch. 5? My DM is going for the spellsword level, so I don't lose the CL.