New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Crafting Wondrous Items

The druid I'm playing will eventually reach level 3, whereupon I think I'll take Craft Wondrous Item as my level feat.

Is the having the caster level listed for the item one of its prerequisites? For example, do I need to be level 17 to craft a level 1 Pearl of Power?

If so, are there any good items you know of for a level 3 druid to craft? Should I just take Scribe Scroll instead?

Some info: The party consists of: a cleric, rogue, monk, ranger and myself (druid).

The party has a cleric but not an arcane caster.

Magic items will most likely be drawn from the Magic Item Compendium and the Core books.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Crafting Wondrous Items

Caster level is not a prerequisite for crafting most magical items. If you look at the listing of the item and it says "Caster Level 5", then that isn't a prerequisite. However, if the listing says, "creator’s caster level must be at least _______", then that is a prerequisite.

Here are some examples. At level three you could craft:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power even though it says, "CL 6".

or

Amulet of Natural Armor +1, but not the same amulet at +2 because it says, "creator’s caster level must be at least three times the amulet’s bonus".

~

The listing of the caster level of the item is used for determining other things than crafting prerequisite.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-11-06 at 12:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Crafting Wondrous Items

I have a similar problem playing a CC3/Diviner1/MT1 with Scribe Scroll from Wizard 1 and taking Craft Wondrous Item for my 3rd level feat.

I have already found that I can create 2 items from my "need to start with" list but I'm curious if the playground can provide me with new and exciting items I can craft.
    Last edited by MrLich; 2010-11-06 at 12:17 AM.